When journalism goes bad

Jennifer

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jennifer » 18 Feb 2018, 16:13

What lessons should be drawn from the most recent school shooting?

That schools ought to Do Something to curb students' cellphone use.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/02 ... D=ref_fark
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 28 Feb 2018, 13:50

OK, this is a joke, right? It's an April Fool's piece that somehow got published early...

The patriarchal race to colonize Mars is just another example of male entitlement
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Feb 2018, 14:47

I not planning to give up on Earth, but after reading that piece I really hope that the author does.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Feb 2018, 15:13

JD wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:50
OK, this is a joke, right? It's an April Fool's piece that somehow got published early...

The patriarchal race to colonize Mars is just another example of male entitlement
Or one of those "Return of Kings"-type misogynists going undercover and pretending to be some batshit-crazy feminist.

Yeah, that's it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Feb 2018, 15:54

Jennifer wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:13
JD wrote:

Or one of those "Return of Kings"-type misogynists going undercover and pretending to be some batshit-crazy feminist.

Yeah, that's it.
I'm pretty sure that if we took the sort of misogynist who would write that article maliciously, and the sort of feminist who would write that article sincerely, and put them in a room together, they'd be boning non-stop after about 2 minutes.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Feb 2018, 16:47

thoreau wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:54
I'm pretty sure that if we took the sort of misogynist who would write that article maliciously, and the sort of feminist who would write that article sincerely, and put them in a room together, they'd be boning non-stop after about 2 minutes.
It worked for Shanley and Weev.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Feb 2018, 17:11

thoreau wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:54
Jennifer wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:13
JD wrote:

Yeah, that's it.
I am equally sure that, based on the content alone, we couldn't distinguish the poe from the poetess.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 06 Mar 2018, 11:09

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 08 Mar 2018, 14:36

Damn, but the Atlantic is garbage. Now they have an article, by an actual law professor, which willy-nilly conflates "corporations are persons" and "corporations are people" and argues that corporations are only...whatever...because of a dishonest 19th-century US jurist. He must have been amazingly powerful, because somehow he got the UK and most of the world to agree with him on the legal personhood of corporations. It's always pretty baffling to see something like the Atlantic argue the "corporations have no rights and can't have viewpoints or beliefs because they aren't peeeee-pul" route, considering that the Atlantic is owned by Emerson Collective, which is - oh shit! - a corporation, which seems to have some awfully distinct beliefs for something that is supposedly can't.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Mar 2018, 16:37

The "corporations are people only because of a single shaky headnote in a Supreme Court railroad case" is a deeply embedded Progressive talking point. I'm not surprised that a law professor would parrot it since most law professors can only win arguments with unprepared first-year law students.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 08 Mar 2018, 17:30

Andrew wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 16:37
The "corporations are people only because of a single shaky headnote in a Supreme Court railroad case" is a deeply embedded Progressive talking point. I'm not surprised that a law professor would parrot it since most law professors can only win arguments with unprepared first-year law students.
While looking around I found something even better - a reference from England in 1823 discussing the whys and hows of corporate personhood:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ShEtA ... ty&f=false

Apparently that dishonest American jurist was so powerful he was able to travel back in time to influence the law.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Mar 2018, 11:39

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... il/555350/

the next recommended video was "anecdata reality matrix WHAT THE ILLUMINATI DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW"
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Mar 2018, 14:36

dhex wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 11:39
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... il/555350/

the next recommended video was "anecdata reality matrix WHAT THE ILLUMINATI DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW"
Really, hasn't the past year disproved the Illuminati? If they are controlling world events from behind the scenes, they're just as disastrously incompetent as the buffoons in front of the curtain.

I know, I know, that's just what they want me to think. They're playing 47D chess against the reptilians.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Mar 2018, 16:48

tr0g wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 14:36
Really, hasn't the past year disproved the Illuminati? If they are controlling world events from behind the scenes, they're just as disastrously incompetent as the buffoons in front of the curtain.
Wouldn't that stand to reason?

(I've more than once poked at the idea of an conspiratorial-mythos parody revolving around The Secret Masters of the World resembling the all-too-visible masters of the world. The War on Free Will and such. But the Illuminatus! books are as old as I am, and Steve Jackson Games has been mining that ground for the last thirty-odd years, so I'm not sure there's room for much more parody in that space.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Mar 2018, 20:12

tr0g wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 14:36
Really, hasn't the past year disproved the Illuminati?
The past year? More than any other year? No.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Mar 2018, 22:44

If I were one of the Illuminati, I wouldn't want Captain Orange in the front office.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Mar 2018, 10:10

Aresen wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 22:44
If I were one of the Illuminati, I wouldn't want Captain Orange in the front office.
This is why you were never nominated.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Mar 2018, 11:54

Nine-year-old boy shoots 13-year-old sister to death.
Such accidents are not rare in the United States, where the debate on gun control rages on.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/boy-9-shoots- ... 51128.html
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 10 Apr 2018, 12:08

The LA Times uncritically reprints a bunch of woo about hydration and nutrition: http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/l ... story.html

Among the more egregious nonsense: ""Water is actually more hydrating when it's warm." (Apparently it escaped both the "nutritionist" and the journalist that water of any temperature is going to be about 98.6F very shortly after it enters your stomach no matter what temperature it was when you drank it, and it's sure as hell going to be body temperature by the time it gets to your small intestine.)

"As it turns out, compared with, say, distilled water or purified water, tap water generally contains minerals the brain needs to keep itself hydrated." (Are they seriously arguing that your body receives the minerals it needs from water, and not from food, and that somehow your small intestine can't absorb water unless it has dissolved minerals in it?)

"(reading the ingredients of Twinkies) Bleached wheat flour, B vitamins, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated vegetable and/or animal shortening, dextrose, modified corn starch, whey, glucose, soy bean oil, etc. etc. I would say 95% of the ingredients are toxic." ("Toxic"? WTF?)

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Apr 2018, 12:17

Cold water requires body heat to warm, obviously, and some people have argued that this takes energy, and thus is not as efficient as water which is already at body temperature.

You do absorb minerals from water, and actual laboratory-pure water will strip minerals from pipes and such, so it's not crazy to think that it would leech from your body. Maybe?

JD

Post by JD » 10 Apr 2018, 14:50

Dangerman wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:17
Cold water requires body heat to warm, obviously, and some people have argued that this takes energy, and thus is not as efficient as water which is already at body temperature.
Sure, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with efficiency of hydrating you.
You do absorb minerals from water, and actual laboratory-pure water will strip minerals from pipes and such, so it's not crazy to think that it would leech from your body. Maybe?
IANA biologist but it's still silly. How is this supposed to work? The pure water entering your stomach...leaches valuable nutrients from...your stomach lining? Then what? The fucking water gets absorbed anyway!

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Apr 2018, 15:10

I'm pretty much at the point of ignoring anything health-related in the news. Even if it's actually based on a study that might possibly be true, the journos will fuck it up in explaining it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2018, 15:12

JD wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:08
The LA Times uncritically reprints a bunch of woo about hydration and nutrition: http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/l ... story.html
"(reading the ingredients of Twinkies) Bleached wheat flour, B vitamins, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated vegetable and/or animal shortening, dextrose, modified corn starch, whey, glucose, soy bean oil, etc. etc. I would say 95% of the ingredients are toxic." ("Toxic"? WTF?)
Adele Davis was peddling this woo before I was born. By the reckoning of Adele Davis and this author, everyone over 30 should be dead by now.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Apr 2018, 15:26

From what I understand, the minerals thing is probably (a little) true.

I know that drinking lab-grade pure water is considered mildly unhealthy---not like drinking a glass of it will poison you, or anything, but that if you drink only that for an extended period if time it will reduce some mineral concentrations in your body. You're right that you absorb the water, but recall that you subsequently de-absorb most of it in one way or another, and this will carry away some trace minerals. In general this isn't a big deal, because your body is pretty good at maintaining itself in equilibrium, but if apparently if you drink nothing but demineralized water for an extended period of time it can cause problems.

See e.g. the WHO report linked in the first answer here.

Some of this is contested, so I wouldn't want to swear that it's true. It's definitely not the case that drinking some distilled water will make you sick, or anything; this is really just an argument against replacing all the water you drink with demineralized water. (And "minerals the brain needs to keep itself hydrated" definitely sounds like bullshit).

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2018, 15:37

The risk from demineralized water is minimal and I suspect that just about every trace nutrient that we get from tap water can be obtained from the rest of our diet. (Though, like Jadagul, I wouldn't swear to it.) Further, as Flint MI and other stories have shown, tap water sometimes falls well short of 'safe' as well.

This sort of 'health' reporting is on par with the Starbucks coffee causing cancer thing.