When journalism goes bad

Jennifer

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 17:52
This article just keeps getting better and better all the way until the penultimate paragraph, about how Elizabeth Stoker Bruenig doesn’t realize that exactly who she is is an enemy of fun: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... nt/604876/
She's also clueless in other ways:
Regardless of how much Americans love to drink, the country could be safer and healthier if we treated booze more like we treat cigarettes. The lack of serious discussion about raising alcohol prices or limiting its sale speaks to all the ground Americans have ceded to the “good guys” who have fun. And judging by the health statistics, we’re amusing ourselves to death.
Um ... America DOES treat booze like we treat cigarettes. In fact, in many ways we treat booze even more harshly: its sale is indeed restricted (to people above a certain age), and in many if not most states there are even laws limited what times and days it can legally be sold. If you want cigarettes you can buy them 24/7, but if you want to buy a bottle of booze in the middle of the night, most of the time you're out of luck. In most of America (with Bourbon Street in New Orleans being the one exception I can think of), it is illegal to consume alcohol ANYWHERE in public. It is illegal to consume alcohol while you are driving a motor vehicle; there is no such prohibition on cigarettes (at least not when you're driving alone). Etc.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Also, for all the historical background, she neglected to mention that one major reason the 19th-century temperance movement was so especially popular with American women was because they were basically using it as a roundabout way to tackle a very real legal and social problem: if you were a married woman, you legally had no money of your own; everything belonged to your husband. And if he was an alcoholic who drank the family grocery money, or beat you or your children, you were SOL -- can't earn your own money, can't make him use his/yours to support you, can't even divorce the bastard -- so the temperance women focused on the "my husband is a drunk" side of the problem, rather than the "I am legally and financially dependent on this man no matter what" aspect of the status quo.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

If we're going to ban, sorry "regulate the sale of" anything, it should be the writings of Kant. The Categorical Imperative has destroyed more lives than alcohol ever will.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

any definition anti-alcohol are Mothers Against Drunk Driving—which mainly focuses on just that
If only that were true.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 18:57
If we're going to ban, sorry "regulate the sale of" anything, it should be the writings of Kant. The Categorical Imperative has destroyed more lives than alcohol ever will.
He was a real pissant. And very rarely stable.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 11:28
Hugh Akston wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 18:57
He was a real pissant. And very rarely stable.
G'day Bruce
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

I have been informed that the knitting community is all up in arms about this article, at least partly because the headline says "crochet" but the woman in the picture is knitting.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriafo ... t-tampons/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston