When journalism goes bad

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Aresen » 09 May 2019, 15:50

Ellie wrote:
08 May 2019, 12:39
I don't know anybody who PREFERS sunflower seed butter, although I'm sure that weirdo exists somewhere (probably posting in the food threads on Grylliade) but it's a fine plan B if you can't have nuts.
I had never heard of 'sunbutter' before this thread. It sounds like an abomination. Probably Trump/Obama/HClinton/Bush2/BClinton/Bush1/Reagan's fault.
nicole wrote:
09 May 2019, 13:23
The policy has now been reversed because social media erupted but I have to say...uh...I find it really weird to see people specifically complaining about how kids should be able to have hot lunches, and cold sandwiches are some kind of problem, because I had cold sandwiches for lunch throughout school? Because...hot lunch was fucking gross? Wtf is wrong with eating a cold sandwich for lunch?
I have tried hard to forget about the 'hot lunches' in our school cafeteria. PCSD.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7082
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jadagul » 09 May 2019, 15:59

nicole wrote:
09 May 2019, 13:23
The policy has now been reversed because social media erupted but I have to say...uh...I find it really weird to see people specifically complaining about how kids should be able to have hot lunches, and cold sandwiches are some kind of problem, because I had cold sandwiches for lunch throughout school? Because...hot lunch was fucking gross? Wtf is wrong with eating a cold sandwich for lunch?
Yeah, it's the lack of choice, and possible visible badge of shame, not the fact that these sandwiches are necessarily worse.

Although the wrong headline fed the issue: a "jelly sandwich" is a terrifyingly inadequate meal.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17308
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by lunchstealer » 09 May 2019, 16:23

nicole wrote:
09 May 2019, 13:23
The policy has now been reversed because social media erupted but I have to say...uh...I find it really weird to see people specifically complaining about how kids should be able to have hot lunches, and cold sandwiches are some kind of problem, because I had cold sandwiches for lunch throughout school? Because...hot lunch was fucking gross? Wtf is wrong with eating a cold sandwich for lunch?
And those hot lunches were michelin star compared to the shit they serve nowadays.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24544
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 10 May 2019, 15:47

Ben Shapiro really cannot handle a well prepared interviewer. That BBC interview was brutal and he went off on a conservative Brit (Andrew Neil) by calling him a leftist and trying to get him to admit he was.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7832
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 May 2019, 18:25

Mo wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:47
by calling him a leftist and trying to get him to admit he was.
I get that a lot on the fauxbook when I post links to friends being stupid. It's not about the argument. It's about the tribe.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24544
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 10 May 2019, 18:30

The thing that struck me about journalists here vs journalists back home is that if you dodge the question 6 times they will keep calling you on it. In the US they will call you on it once maaaaybe twice and then say, “I disagree, let’s move on.”
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7832
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 May 2019, 19:51

I just watched the interview. Holy shit he got a smackdown. Mainly from himself but there were a few damn good jabs at him.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24544
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 12 May 2019, 14:44

Ok, I agree with Trump on this. The failing NY Times is an abomination.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/102 ... fried-eggs

Image
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15959
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by dhex » 12 May 2019, 17:22

I'd eat that.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3215
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jasper » 13 May 2019, 10:43

Yeah, I'd hit it too. Wouldn't even need the taco bit. Just make hash.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 20 May 2019, 22:26

It's revolting.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24544
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 21 Jun 2019, 15:29

The media isn’t actually liberal. Also, can we keep the reasons of why Iran is a threat and needs to be attacked straight?

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 21 Jun 2019, 15:36

Mo wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 15:29
The media isn’t actually liberal. Also, can we keep the reasons of why Iran is a threat and needs to be attacked straight?

I can't be sure, but I think I disagree with everyone.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Aresen » 21 Jun 2019, 15:47

Warren wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 15:36
Mo wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 15:29
The media isn’t actually liberal. Also, can we keep the reasons of why Iran is a threat and needs to be attacked straight?

I can't be sure, but I think I disagree with everyone.
I mostly liked George Will's take on it a few weeks back.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 21 Jun 2019, 16:02

Aresen wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 15:47
I mostly liked George Will's take on it a few weeks back.
paywall
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17308
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jun 2019, 00:32

Warren wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 16:02
Aresen wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 15:47
I mostly liked George Will's take on it a few weeks back.
paywall
By George F. Will
Columnist
May 24

Difficulties with Iran will recur regularly, like the oscillations of a sine wave, and the recent crisis — if such it was, or is — illustrates persistent U.S. intellectual and institutional failures, starting with this: The Trump administration’s assumption, and that of many in Congress, is that if the president wants to wage war against a nation almost the size of Mexico (and almost four times larger than Iraq) and with 83 million people (more than double that of Iraq), there is no constitutional hindrance to him acting unilaterally.

In April, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was pressed during a Senate hearing to pledge that the administration would not regard the 2001 authorization for the use of military force against al-Qaeda and other nonstate actors responsible for 9/11 as authorization, 18 years later, for war against Iran. Pompeo laconically said he would “prefer to just leave that to lawyers.” Many conservatives who preen as “originalists” when construing all the Constitution’s provisions other than the one pertaining to war powers are unimpressed by the framers’ intention that Congress should be involved in initiating military force in situations other than repelling sudden attacks.

The Economist, which is measured in its judgments and sympathetic to the United States, tartly referred to the supposed evidence of Iran’s intentions to attack U.S. forces, allies or “interests” as “suspiciously unspecific.” Such skepticism, foreign and domestic, reflects 16-year-old memories of certitudes about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction: Remember Secretary of State Colin Powell spending days at the CIA receiving assurances about the evidence. There also are concerns about the impetuosity of a commander in chief who vows that military conflict would mean “the official end” of Iran, whatever that means.

U.S. policy makes easing economic sanctions against Iran contingent on Iran doing 12 things, most of which (e.g., halting development of ballistic missiles, withdrawing from Syria, ending support for allied groups) it almost certainly will not do. This U.S. policy is congruent with U.S. disregard of this truth: Any nation, however prostrate, poor or ramshackle, that ardently wants nuclear weapons can acquire them. Just four years after Hiroshima, the Soviet Union, which had been laid to waste by World War II, became a nuclear power. China was an impoverished peasant society in 1964 when it detonated a nuclear weapon. Pakistan’s per capita income was $470 in 1998 when it joined the nuclear club. In the more than a decade since North Korea acquired nuclear weapons, U.S. policy has pronounced this “unacceptable.” But U.S. behavior has been to accept it while unfurling the tattered flag of arms control — hoping to talk North Korea into giving up what it has devoted three decades to develop.

Fifteen years ago, Condoleezza Rice, then President George W. Bush’s national security adviser, said that an abstraction (the “international community”) would not “allow the Iranians to develop a nuclear weapon.” Allow? In 2012, President Barack Obama said: “Iran’s leaders should understand that I do not have a policy of containment. I have a policy to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.” If — probably when — that policy fails, we shall have a policy of containment, or a major war.

Trump’s national security apparatus might include a plucky cohort of regime changers who, undaunted by 18 discouraging years (Afghanistan, Iraq), cling to the fatal conceit that U.S. policies, such as sanctions, can manipulate the internal dynamics of societies such as Iran’s. In any case, today’s president is, in one respect, like his predecessor: Obama denied that hundreds of U.S. airstrikes that killed hundreds in Libya and helped to destroy a regime constituted involvement in “hostilities.”

Trump recently vetoed a congressional resolution that would have terminated U.S. involvement with Saudi Arabia and its allies in the war in Yemen, by the terms of the 1973 War Powers Resolution. It forbids the “introduction” of U.S. forces into “hostilities” for more than 90 days without congressional authorization. It defines “introduction” to include the assignment of U.S. military “to command, coordinate, participate in the movement of, or accompany the . . . military forces of any foreign country or government when such military forces are engaged . . . in hostilities.”

The U.S. military is providing intelligence, logistical support and, for a time, occasional in-flight refueling of Saudi bombers. This certainly constitutes involvement in the commanding, coordinating and movement of military forces. This is similarly certain: Whatever the United States does to Iran militarily will be decided unilaterally by this president. But his predecessor, and today’s Congress and previous Congresses, will be implicated in the absence of restraint by laws or norms.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 23 Jun 2019, 12:08

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 00:32
By George F. Will
Columnist
May 24
Thanks lunch.
Well that is certainly all true. The POTUS can launch a war against anyone at any time. This has been long understood and accepted, few have ever bothered to pretend otherwise even.
Making an enemy out of Iran is a huge policy mistake. Iran isn't Pakistan, it's not even Turkey. I believe that most Iranians want to take their place in the modern post industrial world. I think with a defter foreign policy and just a bit of luck the crazies would sink back into the woodwork there.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Aresen » 23 Jun 2019, 14:45

Warren wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 12:08
lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 00:32
By George F. Will
Columnist
May 24
Thanks lunch.
Well that is certainly all true. The POTUS can launch a war against anyone at any time. This has been long understood and accepted, few have ever bothered to pretend otherwise even.
Making an enemy out of Iran is a huge policy mistake. Iran isn't Pakistan, it's not even Turkey. I believe that most Iranians want to take their place in the modern post industrial world. I think with a defter foreign policy and just a bit of luck the crazies would sink back into the woodwork there.
This is my belief, especially as, other than Israel, Iran has the closest thing to a functioning democracy between the Bosporus and the India-Pakistan border.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28145
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by thoreau » 23 Jun 2019, 14:47


Aresen wrote: other than Israel, Iran has the closest thing to a functioning democracy between the Bosporus and the India-Pakistan border.
US policy on democracy in the Middle East could be summarized as "There can be only one!"

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 23 Jun 2019, 14:57

Aresen wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 14:45
Warren wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 12:08
lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 00:32
By George F. Will
Columnist
May 24
Thanks lunch.
Well that is certainly all true. The POTUS can launch a war against anyone at any time. This has been long understood and accepted, few have ever bothered to pretend otherwise even.
Making an enemy out of Iran is a huge policy mistake. Iran isn't Pakistan, it's not even Turkey. I believe that most Iranians want to take their place in the modern post industrial world. I think with a defter foreign policy and just a bit of luck the crazies would sink back into the woodwork there.
This is my belief, especially as, other than Israel, Iran has the closest thing to a functioning democracy between the Bosporus and the India-Pakistan border.
And not just democracy, also a healthy economy. But that's not going to happen so long as we keep poking them with the sanctions stick. Which means economic stagnation, which leads to civil unrest, which paves the way for the crazies to seize the reins of power.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24069
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by JasonL » 23 Jun 2019, 15:02

A healthy chunk of the media is actually liberal.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 23 Jun 2019, 16:03

JasonL wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 15:02
A healthy chunk of the media is actually liberal.
I don't see what that relates to.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13962
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Kolohe » 23 Jun 2019, 16:17

Aresen wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 14:45
Warren wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 12:08
lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 00:32
By George F. Will
Columnist
May 24
Thanks lunch.
Well that is certainly all true. The POTUS can launch a war against anyone at any time. This has been long understood and accepted, few have ever bothered to pretend otherwise even.
Making an enemy out of Iran is a huge policy mistake. Iran isn't Pakistan, it's not even Turkey. I believe that most Iranians want to take their place in the modern post industrial world. I think with a defter foreign policy and just a bit of luck the crazies would sink back into the woodwork there.
This is my belief, especially as, other than Israel, Iran has the closest thing to a functioning democracy between the Bosporus and the India-Pakistan border.
Both Pakistan and Turkey are, while not Switzerland, objectively more democratic than Iran (esp since Musharraf left). Iraq is also more democratic than Iran, and possibly converging with Turkey and Pakistan in how much. I will grant that Iran is more pluralistic in politics than any member of the GCC, as well as more pluralistic culturally than Saudi Arabia.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 23 Jun 2019, 16:24

Kolohe wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:17
Both Pakistan and Turkey are, while not Switzerland, objectively more democratic than Iran (esp since Musharraf left). Iraq is also more democratic than Iran, and possibly converging with Turkey and Pakistan in how much. I will grant that Iran is more pluralistic in politics than any member of the GCC, as well as more pluralistic culturally than Saudi Arabia.
True. What I'm suggesting is that Iran is fucked up because we fucked it up. And possibly we could unfuck it. Possibly not. But we should try that as it's cheaper, has less downside to failure, and much better payoff to success.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13536
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jun 2019, 18:20

This tangent really isn't selling democracy. :P
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests