When journalism goes bad

Aresen

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2018, 16:45

dhex wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 14:30
Fourth off Jesus dude why am I reading the Atlantic again?
This is the real mystery.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jun 2018, 19:25

dhex wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... on/561713/

First off Linkin Park haigiography the fuck?
Second off holy shit good job ignoring all metal
Third off nice job tying in Xanax SoundCloud rappers short shelf life
I've never understood this kind of music criticism. I listened to Slayer, Metallica, and Anthrax, because they played repetitive heavy chords over and over at blazing speeds. The "sound" was what I craved. They could've been singing about pretty flowers in the field for all I cared. Am I just different than everyone else in this?

From my observation those who disliked Linkin Park did so because they were popular with a crowd that would look down their nose at most heavier acts. Musically they took elements of metal, nu metal, hip hop, and then softened the sound. They were the lite FM of metal and hip hop. For a lot of people who disliked those changes they got bent of shape at Linkin Park's success. I imagine it's similar in the way people hate on hair metal.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jun 2018, 20:26

dhex wrote:

It is pretty amazing that he managed to talk about gender issues in rock while completely ignoring that one time a sub-genre ramped up hetero-machoness to a ridiculous level while at the same time taking it's look from combining the crossdressing glams with the gay leather scene. That's where I would call the writer incompetent rather than just bad or uninteresting.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2018, 21:06

Painboy wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:25
dhex wrote:

I've never understood this kind of music criticism. I listened to Slayer, Metallica, and Anthrax, because they played repetitive heavy chords over and over at blazing speeds. The "sound" was what I craved. They could've been singing about pretty flowers in the field for all I cared. Am I just different than everyone else in this?
Probably. I mean If you're into those bands, those are the hooks. But the "sound" and also the lyrics are crafted to appeal to someone with insane levels of testosterone coursing through their veins looking for expression. There's a reason why the metal audience is like 90% male.
From my observation those who disliked Linkin Park did so because they were popular with a crowd that would look down their nose at most heavier acts. Musically they took elements of metal, nu metal, hip hop, and then softened the sound. They were the lite FM of metal and hip hop. For a lot of people who disliked those changes they got bent of shape at Linkin Park's success. I imagine it's similar in the way people hate on hair metal.
Is that like the way people hate Kenny G?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jul 2018, 03:22

dhex wrote:

I showed this link to a friend. His actual words after we tried to read the article were, "Why does dhex hate you, Eric?"
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jul 2018, 03:23

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 20:26
dhex wrote:

It is pretty amazing that he managed to talk about gender issues in rock while completely ignoring that one time a sub-genre ramped up hetero-machoness to a ridiculous level while at the same time taking it's look from combining the crossdressing glams with the gay leather scene. That's where I would call the writer incompetent rather than just bad or uninteresting.
Incompetent and way too young.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 03 Jul 2018, 11:49

Researchers Detect High-Speed Jet Of Light From Neutron Star Merger

Oh, a high-speed jet of light. As opposed to that slow light we usually see.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Jul 2018, 12:20

Painboy wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:25
dhex wrote:

Nah. That's why I listened to a lot of hardcore music and Cradle of Filth/Dimmu Borgir. The feeling of the lyrics as instrumentation instead of separate semantic content. I feel like hiphop reverses this 60/40 the other way, where I need the lyrical thread to be stronger, but the beat and fills add emphasis to the emotional content. Dr. Dre and Method Man are good examples,
I think they made nu-metal look like a gateway for people who didn't know how to be properly cool, and they autotuned to a major chord and did stuff like "dj scratches while a guy raps over positive sounding riffs". It's also, contra the article, not bass heavy, and while rhythmic, not danceable. You sing with Chester, you don't really groove with the music IMhO.

I don't get the connecting between these white kids named Lil and the rest of the material. If you want to talk about 00's-era ragey, abuse fueled, self-destructive music, L7 and Mindless Self Indulgence is right there, fella. Your beard is a symbol of male rage, but your glasses tell me that Weezers Blue Album is as hard as you get.

wait why did I also read the Atlantic? fuuuuuuuuuu

JD

Post by JD » 05 Jul 2018, 15:34

Similarly to my last post in this thread,

NASA just found rare, extraterrestrial meteorite fragments in the ocean

Aren't all meteorites extraterrestrial by definition?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 05 Jul 2018, 18:05

JD wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 15:34
Similarly to my last post in this thread,

NASA just found rare, extraterrestrial meteorite fragments in the ocean

Aren't all meteorites extraterrestrial by definition?
Well I guess technically you could shoot a rock into orbit such that its orbit would decay and then fall back to the earth becoming a meteor.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Jul 2018, 18:20

What's new from the writers at the Guardian, aside from looking like absolute shit?

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jul 2018, 10:47

I saw that Grauniad article the other day: I honestly could not figure out if it was humor or not.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jul 2018, 15:09

In the afternoons, crowds gather to watch bullfighters fight the animals, who almost always kill them.
(https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 760250002/)

Wow, that is just some remarkably ambiguous phrasing. "We're here to see the bullfights!" "Sí, señor...I hope you are prepared to die, because the bulls almost always kill the spectators."

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Jul 2018, 15:30

Uhhhhhh

The bulls don't almost always kill the bullfighters either...
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Jul 2018, 15:43

nicole wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 15:30
Uhhhhhh

The bulls don't almost always kill the bullfighters either...
This was how I read it.

Send in the rodeo clowns.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jul 2018, 18:02

I imagine bullfighting would have a much better rep if the odds were that much in favor of El Toro.

(Also, it would be about as rare as Russian Roulette.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Jul 2018, 18:34

Sometime in the past couple years -- after moving to Atlanta -- Jeff and I were watching an old talk show whose host (maybe Dick Cavett?) was interviewing a pre-"Wrath of Khan," pre-"Fantasy Island" Ricardo Montalban, who talked about bullfighting -- and made a point of saying something a la "Now that I've had time to understand Americans' objections to it on cruelty grounds, I respect that viewpoint yadda yadda" -- but his point was that in his homeland, they of course took a different view -- a bull sent to a bullfight rather than the slaughterhouse has at least a chance of getting out alive.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jul 2018, 19:49

Jennifer wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:34
Sometime in the past couple years -- after moving to Atlanta -- Jeff and I were watching an old talk show whose host (maybe Dick Cavett?) was interviewing a pre-"Wrath of Khan," pre-"Fantasy Island" Ricardo Montalban, who talked about bullfighting -- and made a point of saying something a la "Now that I've had time to understand Americans' objections to it on cruelty grounds, I respect that viewpoint yadda yadda" -- but his point was that in his homeland, they of course took a different view -- a bull sent to a bullfight rather than the slaughterhouse has at least a chance of getting out alive.
Yeah, I can see that. Still, it's a far greater chance of a more painful death than in the slaughterhouse.

Apparently the ancient sport of bull-leaping is getting more popular over in Spain, though. There, the bull basically just gets annoyed and tired, which probably counts as "enrichment" in zookeeper lingo:

(Warning for terrible soundtrack—and for the bull actually getting one guy. No idea how badly he was hurt. Extreme sports are, well, extreme.)

If you didn't know it was an ancient sport, you'd only have to watch them in action for two minutes to know this sort of thing started with bored teenage farmers.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Jul 2018, 20:25

Bulls have long figured prominently in Mediterranean cultural rituals. All this sport needs is some Virgin Mary imagery and it would be the most Spanish thing ever.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2018, 20:45

It's better than torturing an animal to death.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 06 Jul 2018, 22:33

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 19:49
Jennifer wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:34
Yeah, I can see that. Still, it's a far greater chance of a more painful death than in the slaughterhouse.

Apparently the ancient sport of bull-leaping is getting more popular over in Spain, though. There, the bull basically just gets annoyed and tired, which probably counts as "enrichment" in zookeeper lingo:

(Warning for terrible soundtrack—and for the bull actually getting one guy. No idea how badly he was hurt. Extreme sports are, well, extreme.)

If you didn't know it was an ancient sport, you'd only have to watch them in action for two minutes to know this sort of thing started with bored teenage farmers.
I would watch the shit out of this sport.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Jul 2018, 20:11

Number 6 wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 22:33
]I would watch the shit out of this sport.
I know, right? I was disappointed that this was about the best video I could find on YouTube.

Hell, I'm stunned nobody's swiped this idea for bigger rodeos. Maybe they have and I haven't heard of it, though.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Jul 2018, 21:58

As sports go it doesn't get much older.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2018, 11:37

Number 6 wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 22:33
I would watch the shit out of this sport.
I feel like I've already watched the shit out of it. Unless someone gets gored/trampled it'd be pretty boring. And if they did, well that's not my idea of entertainment.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 23 Jul 2018, 15:20

Here's this article about the Japanese company's plan to create artificial meteor showers. I agree with some of it, I disagree with some of it, but overall it's not bad, until the author drops this clanger:
Call us purists, but artificially creating shooting stars also overlooks what makes meteor showers so incredible in the first place: that you never know exactly when you’re going to see them.
Uh, should somebody let her know?