When journalism goes bad

thoreau

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by thoreau » 30 Apr 2018, 18:11

I do wish she had not criticized Sanders' appearance. I don't care at all about Sanders' feelings, but making this about appearance just raises a bunch of other issues that distract from what this should be about. It forces a lot of decent people to pause and be all "Wait, why am I laughing at a joke about how a female professional looks?" (Those who aren't decent will, of course, laugh without any self-reflection.) And the last thing I want is to have to pause and feel some sympathy for Trump's mouthpiece. I don't ever want to have to go there.

EDIT: When I heard her joke I was doing other things, so I missed the context for the smoky eye joke.

I regret not paying more attention to the outrage du jour before commenting on it.
Last edited by thoreau on 30 Apr 2018, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Apr 2018, 18:38

thoreau wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 18:11
I do wish she had not criticized Sanders' appearance.
She didn't; she criticized Sanders' mendacity. I'm too lazy to look up the exact words, but it was something like "You burn the truth and use the ashes to make your smokey eye" -- smokey eye being a reference to eye makeup, not the eyes themselves.

And I took the Aunt Lydia comment not as a dig on her appearance, but as a reference to her being a woman who carries water for a woman-hating regime.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Apr 2018, 18:40

Building on my last post: you know how football players put lines of that black stuff under their eyes to cut glare? What Wolf said was basically the equivalent of telling a dishonest football player "You burn the truth and use the ashes to make that anti-glare stuff." That's not a dig on the football player's appearance.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Apr 2018, 19:22

thoreau wrote:
I do wish she had not criticized Sanders' appearance. I don't care at all about Sanders' feelings, but making this about appearance just raises a bunch of other issues that distract from what this should be about. It forces a lot of decent people to pause and be all "Wait, why am I laughing at a joke about how a female professional looks?" (Those who aren't decent will, of course, laugh without any self-reflection.) And the last thing I want is to have to pause and feel some sympathy for Trump's mouthpiece. I don't ever want to have to go there.
I am not seeing how you or anyone think she was making a jab at her appearance.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Apr 2018, 19:24

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 19:22
thoreau wrote:
I am not seeing how you or anyone think she was making a jab at her appearance.
Because when I listened to it I was doing other stuff at the time, so I missed a lot of context.

I will edit my previous post.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Apr 2018, 23:10

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 May 2018, 10:29

Mo wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 23:10
You be you NY Post.

https://nypost.com/2017/01/13/masturbat ... -reliever/
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 May 2018, 14:11

Bari Weiss is an idiot. We never hear the sorts of things that folks Peter Theil, Jordan Peterson, Christina Hoff Summers or Ben Shapiro in the august pages of places like the NY Times.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 May 2018, 22:41

@JasonL You thought you had bad hips because of genetics? Turns out it was because you lived in Shively for too long.

Where you live has a bigger impact on happiness and health than you might imagine

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 May 2018, 12:31

I found the tweet thread that we might be able to kill Nicole with if it becomes necessary:

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 May 2018, 13:18

Anyone who saw that thread and thought Megan was in favor of civil war is a fucking moron
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 May 2018, 13:24

nicole wrote:
27 May 2018, 13:18
Anyone who saw that thread and thought Megan was in favor of civil war is a fucking moron
I was just stealing pictures, but what she is saying is still dumb. Bruenig somehow outdumbs McArdle.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 May 2018, 14:03

"Twee Cosmopolitan Elite" sounds like a seventies revival folk-rock band.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2018, 14:31

Twitter has become some sort of encoded dialect. I can't figure out what either of them are saying beyond "I drink at the red sportsbar".
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 May 2018, 16:08

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
27 May 2018, 13:24
nicole wrote:
I was just stealing pictures, but what she is saying is still dumb. Bruenig somehow outdumbs McArdle.
I didn’t mean you, and yes, and yes. Bruenig is like a singularity of terrible ideas.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 May 2018, 16:11

nicole wrote:
27 May 2018, 16:08
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
27 May 2018, 13:24
nicole wrote:
I didn’t mean you, and yes, and yes. Bruenig is like a singularity of terrible ideas.
McArdle is like taking twice the dose of prescription Tylenol, and Bruenig is like drinking rubbing alcohol. Individually bad ideas; even worse together.

JD

Post by JD » 29 May 2018, 16:38

Man missing after "1,000-year flood" ravages Ellicott City for 2nd time in two years

Clearly, they need to find this man and stop him from ravaging the city.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 May 2018, 17:03

Ahahaha! I read the headline before your comment and spent way too long trying to figure out why the missing man would be ravaging the city.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 May 2018, 17:18

It took me a bit to figure out how to parse that so that the man was the subject of 'ravages' instead of 'flood'. It seems pretty cromulent to me, and you have to kind of squint and tilt your head to make it wrong.

On a sadder note, his body has been found.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 May 2018, 17:24

I read it the way you'd read "Man returning to the Olympics after knee injury wins a gold medal for the second time." It was just instinctive for me to parse it like that!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Jun 2018, 11:40

2nd Edition Cover FINAL.jpg
2nd Edition Cover FINAL.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Ryan Hatfield received a slide of a photo taken in 1968 that showed a truckload of hunters and the deer they'd harvested in a motel parking lot.
Man, I'll bet all the people that spend days out in the woods getting up at 5am to schlepp to a good spot feel like suckers now.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/ ... 71719.html
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Jun 2018, 13:41

From Car and Driver's review of the Chevy Spark:
Newly available as part of the Drive Confidence package, which last year included forward-collision warning and lane-departure warning, is an automated emergency braking feature. In the event the Spark thinks you’re about to ignite a crash, it will apply the brakes for you or augment the driver’s braking inputs to avoid or minimize a collision.
Ignite a crash? PLEASE tell me he's merely being careless and not trying to make a horrifyingly godawful pun.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Jun 2018, 14:50

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:41
From Car and Driver's review of the Chevy Spark:
Newly available as part of the Drive Confidence package, which last year included forward-collision warning and lane-departure warning, is an automated emergency braking feature. In the event the Spark thinks you’re about to ignite a crash, it will apply the brakes for you or augment the driver’s braking inputs to avoid or minimize a collision.
Ignite a crash? PLEASE tell me he's merely being careless and not trying to make a horrifyingly godawful pun.
Hmmm... did they move the gas tank to right behind the front grille?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jun 2018, 13:59

Access journalism at its finest.

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Jun 2018, 14:30

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... on/561713/

First off Linkin Park haigiography the fuck?
Second off holy shit good job ignoring all metal
Third off nice job tying in Xanax SoundCloud rappers short shelf life
Fourth off Jesus dude why am I reading the Atlantic again?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch