Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer »

Our stove has an incredibly annoying safety feature which cannot be disabled: the burner will shut off if it gets too hot and, as I have discovered AND confirmed multiple times, if you are boiling water for pasta it WILL get "too hot" after only a couple of minutes, requiring you to remove the pot and turn the burner off and on again, and add extra cooking time because the pasta needs to "boil" as opposed to "simmer" or just "sit in hot water" but of course you must make sure not to boil it TOO long lest the pasta's texture get all weird and ... long story short, after years of teaching myself how to be a good (or at least competent) cook, I've regressed right back down to "I can't even boil water."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Here's a really weird computer issue I don't know how to fix: I have two computers, my "main" desktop office computer where I do actual work (and also where I'm posting from now), and a little laptop in the living room I use only for surfing the web while I'm watching TV. About a week ago, when I was on my main computer and checked the Metafilter website, I got a message saying the site is currently down for scheduled maintenance, but meanwhile, here's a list of potentially interesting links. And day after day, whenever I'd check Metafilter, I got the same message -- to the point where I started to wonder "Hmm, why isn't it back up yet? I hope whoever's in charge of the maintenance hasn't come down sick with covid-19."

Last night, I was in the living room playing with the laptop and went to Metafilter: not only is the site back up, it's been up for several days now! Yet here on my main desktop computer I am STILL getting the "down for maintenance / check out these links" page. Turning the computer off an on again did not help.

ETA: The "down for maintenance" message comes with Firefox, which is my main browser. When I tried it in Opera, I got the actual current site.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Highway

Post by Highway »

Have you enabled DNS over HTTPS in your Opera browser? It is possible that your DNS for Firefox is resolved to an old address. You can try these instructions for clearing your computer's DNS cache and also the instructions to clear browser caches: https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_cl ... n_windows/
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Some sort of caching? Try a forced refresh, which I think is like ctrl-shift-r?
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Forced refresh didn't work. As for that DNS thing, I'll have to wait until Jeff/my IT guy comes home (he's working on-site today). I'm not even entirely sure what form of Windows this computer has; all I know is every so often, when Windows automatically installs some new version, Jeff has to un-install it because the new version fucks with EVERYTHING.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

[Blush] Update: putting my cursor over various icons revealed the "reload page" option, which did indeed work.

ETA: And when I first hit "post" for this message, I saw something I've never seen before: an all-red-letter warning -- presumably from this site, not from my browser or anything -- saying that I can't make another post so soon after my last one, AND that my post had too few characters. Yet this post (obviously) did go through despite that.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Petty annoyance: saw that "They Live" was scheduled to play on some cable channel, set a recording so I could re-watch it ... come to find out the channel in question aired everything en espanol.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

OBEDECER
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Me he quedado sin chicle
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

In case y'all were wondering: the way to say "Roddy Piper" in Spanish is "Roddy Piper."
JD

Post by JD »

I made an order from Guitar Center, comprising three items. I made sure that all of them were in stock when I ordered. Shortly thereafter I get an email saying that one of the items had shipped and the other two had not shipped yet. OK, no problem. About a day later, I get an email saying that the order of the other two items has been cancelled. WTF? And this is one of those situations where the remaining item is not useful without the other two, of course.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The fruit flies are REALLY fucking bad this year. Atlanta has always been bad for fruit flies (compared to Virginia and Connecticut) -- our first summer here, I was surprised when Jeff mentioned they even have fruit fly issues at work, in high-tech rooms that have never ever contained a single molecule of edible food -- but this year has been bad even by the standards I've grown accustomed to down here. In addition to the vinegar trap in the kitchen, there's one in each bathroom (which has drains/sinks, but no food), and as of yesterday I had to put one in my office-room (sans food OR plumbing). The one in my room has three or four dead flies in it already.

A few days ago, Jeff and I both made independent searches of our kitchen and pantry looking for a possible source (we had an unusually bad fruit fly problem here once, for a few days a couple of years ago -- I discovered the source of THAT infestation simultaneous with discovering "Shit, I can't buy raw potatoes anymore unless I plan to eat them THAT NIGHT") -- neither of us found anything. I've been pouring bleach-and-water solutions down the drains, just in case there's some tiny bits of edible something sustaining the flies -- doesn't seem to make a difference. And it's definitely not a case of them feasting on our household garbage, because we never HAVE edible garbage on hand -- anything with bug-attracting potential immediately goes into the dumpster (outside of rare occasions like "There's a lightning storm directly overhead, so we'll hold the garbage for an hour or so until it passes by." But even then, the icky garbage stays in our place for only a couple hours, not overnight or longer).
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

We're having a worse than usual year for fruit flies too, especially in our bathroom. These worked amazing (until Li'l Ringo poured the liquid out -- no homemade concoction of vinegar or juice has had close to the same results).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIRNEQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rCS3Eb8EMW23Y
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 19:18 We're having a worse than usual year for fruit flies too, especially in our bathroom. These worked amazing (until Li'l Ringo poured the liquid out -- no homemade concoction of vinegar or juice has had close to the same results).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIRNEQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rCS3Eb8EMW23Y
Interesting. 19% one star reviews. Looks like they changed the formula back in 2017
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Well, that tracks with my troublesome fruit flies that have never been attracted to conventional recipes. Of course the only thing that would work for them is the weird stuff no other flies want
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I just wish I knew where the hell they were coming from, and why they're even in rooms with no food or water sources. I can't think of anything in my office with appeal for a fruit fly.
nicole

Post by nicole »

No, I don't mind taking the dog to the vet by myself.

I mind the part that will definitely come later where you complain that I didn't say the exact things you would have said.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Lately, the line that 'The Confederates were Traitors' seems to be gaining a lot of traction. This is a line of thought particularly amusing for a nation that was founded on an act of treason, something the men in Philadelphia in 1776 were well aware of.

It annoys me because it adds nothing to the argument and only serves to demonize those on the other side. Hate the Confederacy for clinging to slavery, but the notion that a nation is 'indivisible' and parts of it can never leave if they choose to do so bothers me.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

It's really dissonant when combined with very aggressive American patriotism.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Treason is the dumbest accusation you can make. Setting aside its legal use that criminalizes harmless actions, the popular parlance amounts to nothing more than capital disagreement with the status quo.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JD

Post by JD »

Co-signed. When you explicitly declare that you are not part of Polity X and are now a separate polity, you pretty much can't be guilty of treason by definition. But it basically only means "bad" as most people use it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Well, I just wish the South would make up its mind on whether they're into jingoistic American patriotism or proud separatism.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

It was treason, but Bobby Lee & Jeff Davis did not make the most of it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Rebellion (no actual position required) is so baked into American culture I can totally see how people bake it into the patriotic pie and taste the dissonsance as a uniquely American spice rather than as dissonance.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Aresen wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 11:11 Lately, the line that 'The Confederates were Traitors' seems to be gaining a lot of traction. This is a line of thought particularly amusing for a nation that was founded on an act of treason, something the men in Philadelphia in 1776 were well aware of.

It annoys me because it adds nothing to the argument and only serves to demonize those on the other side. Hate the Confederacy for clinging to slavery, but the notion that a nation is 'indivisible' and parts of it can never leave if they choose to do so bothers me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. As well as being needlessly inflammatory it stretches out the meaning of traitor to a ridiculous extreme. A traitor is someone who declares for a side then at some point undermines or betrays that side for another. Benedict Arnold was a traitor, Robert E. Lee was not, whatever his faults as a human being.