Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer »

Our stove has an incredibly annoying safety feature which cannot be disabled: the burner will shut off if it gets too hot and, as I have discovered AND confirmed multiple times, if you are boiling water for pasta it WILL get "too hot" after only a couple of minutes, requiring you to remove the pot and turn the burner off and on again, and add extra cooking time because the pasta needs to "boil" as opposed to "simmer" or just "sit in hot water" but of course you must make sure not to boil it TOO long lest the pasta's texture get all weird and ... long story short, after years of teaching myself how to be a good (or at least competent) cook, I've regressed right back down to "I can't even boil water."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Here's a really weird computer issue I don't know how to fix: I have two computers, my "main" desktop office computer where I do actual work (and also where I'm posting from now), and a little laptop in the living room I use only for surfing the web while I'm watching TV. About a week ago, when I was on my main computer and checked the Metafilter website, I got a message saying the site is currently down for scheduled maintenance, but meanwhile, here's a list of potentially interesting links. And day after day, whenever I'd check Metafilter, I got the same message -- to the point where I started to wonder "Hmm, why isn't it back up yet? I hope whoever's in charge of the maintenance hasn't come down sick with covid-19."

Last night, I was in the living room playing with the laptop and went to Metafilter: not only is the site back up, it's been up for several days now! Yet here on my main desktop computer I am STILL getting the "down for maintenance / check out these links" page. Turning the computer off an on again did not help.

ETA: The "down for maintenance" message comes with Firefox, which is my main browser. When I tried it in Opera, I got the actual current site.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway »

Have you enabled DNS over HTTPS in your Opera browser? It is possible that your DNS for Firefox is resolved to an old address. You can try these instructions for clearing your computer's DNS cache and also the instructions to clear browser caches: https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_cl ... n_windows/
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Some sort of caching? Try a forced refresh, which I think is like ctrl-shift-r?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Forced refresh didn't work. As for that DNS thing, I'll have to wait until Jeff/my IT guy comes home (he's working on-site today). I'm not even entirely sure what form of Windows this computer has; all I know is every so often, when Windows automatically installs some new version, Jeff has to un-install it because the new version fucks with EVERYTHING.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

[Blush] Update: putting my cursor over various icons revealed the "reload page" option, which did indeed work.

ETA: And when I first hit "post" for this message, I saw something I've never seen before: an all-red-letter warning -- presumably from this site, not from my browser or anything -- saying that I can't make another post so soon after my last one, AND that my post had too few characters. Yet this post (obviously) did go through despite that.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Petty annoyance: saw that "They Live" was scheduled to play on some cable channel, set a recording so I could re-watch it ... come to find out the channel in question aired everything en espanol.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

OBEDECER
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Me he quedado sin chicle
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

In case y'all were wondering: the way to say "Roddy Piper" in Spanish is "Roddy Piper."

JD

Post by JD »

I made an order from Guitar Center, comprising three items. I made sure that all of them were in stock when I ordered. Shortly thereafter I get an email saying that one of the items had shipped and the other two had not shipped yet. OK, no problem. About a day later, I get an email saying that the order of the other two items has been cancelled. WTF? And this is one of those situations where the remaining item is not useful without the other two, of course.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston