Petty annoyances

JasonL

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL »

Related - dear workplace spellchecking things - please stop telling me an HSA is a HAS. Thanks.

JD

Post by JD »

Speaking of Outlook and spellcheck-like things, if I enter "ops" in the address field, wait an instant, then hit tab, Outlook correctly autocompletes that to the ops mailing list address. If I hit tab a fraction of a second too early, Outlook does not autocomplete the address and then flags it as an incorrect address. Given exactly the same sequence of keystrokes, Outlook's behavior should not depend on whether I wait a fraction of a second or not.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I have that problem in the URL bar of my web browser, oddly enough. If I hit enter before it loads suggestions it just tries to google search for schl or whatever.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 17:24
Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 17:15
Aresen wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 16:59
This has probably been mentioned before, but I hate spell-checkers that call you out just because a word is not in the database.
I mean, that's the only way spell-checkers work, and I'm pretty sure that's the only way they can work.
Noted. But it is still annoying. I have just enough self-doubt to made me click over to google to confirm the correct spelling.
Nice thing on at least some browsers now, you can select the word in question and right-click, and there's an option to 'search google for [selected thing]'. I have started using this for unfamiliar words, words I'm not sure of spelling on, hip new acronyms, etc. It opens in a new tab, usually, at least with my settings. Also I'm very quick with 'add to library' or 'learn spelling' if I find that a correctly-spelled word was underlined.
Mo wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 20:49

I updated the language settings in my work PC so I would stop getting red underlines for ‘color’, ‘center’ and ‘program’.
What language was it set to that 'color' was unkown? Oh wait the UK variant uses a superfluous 'u' doesn't it?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo »

That’s correct
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Mo wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 19:12
That’s courrect
Ahem.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

So, I finally saw Rise of Skywalker last night. I have nothing to add about the movie that hasn't been said on the Powerful Mice in Space thread, but the friend who got the tickets bought 'D-Box' seats.

Maybe I'm being a fogey, but I found the seat lurching and bouncing through the movie very distracting. I did not enjoy it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 10:04
So, I finally saw Rise of Skywalker last night. I have nothing to add about the movie that hasn't been said on the Powerful Mice in Space thread, but the friend who got the tickets bought 'D-Box' seats.

Maybe I'm being a fogey, but I found the seat lurching and bouncing through the movie very distracting. I did not enjoy it.
I've been to a couple of such auditoriums, typically in some sort of science museums, and always found them annoying. We'll get to lifelike VR eventually, but rumbling movie theater seats are on a par with Smell-o-rama.

JD

Post by JD »

Selling stuff on Facebook/Craigslist/pretty much anywhere, as I may have mentioned. For every smooth transaction, there are about 10 people who
- say "Is this still available?" then never communicate again when you say yes
- say "Is this still available?" then when you say yes less than one hour later, say "OK well I already went and bought a new one, thanks anyway"
- can only pick up the item between 11 and 11:15 AM on one particular Thursday three weeks from now (and of course do not show at the one random date and time they swore would work for them)
- want to haggle endlessly
- want to haggle endlessly then lose interest anyway
- want to make bizarre trades
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

That's got to be a city thing, or maybe a recent development. I've only sold like three things on Craigslist et al, last time four years ago, but I've never dealt with any of that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I tried giving away --- not even selling -- some stuff on Craigslist when I left Connecticut for Virginia, and encountered so many assholes and entitlement freaks that I never dealt with Craigslist again.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 16:49
I tried giving away --- not even selling -- some stuff on Craigslist when I left Connecticut for Virginia, and encountered so many assholes and entitlement freaks that I never dealt with Craigslist again.
I actually think giving away stuff is even worse on CL, because it attracts all the people who want to get stuff for free. Some years ago I had a bunch of cinderblocks I wanted to get rid of, so I posted them for free, and I got so many messages like "WHERE ARE U I WILL PICK THEM UP IN 15 MINUTES TELL ME WHAT IS UR ADDRESS" you wouldn't believe it, and I was all, uh, no, it's 10:30 PM and I do not have them with me right now and that's not how this works anyway.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Got a trash can of Styrofoam peanuts, you can have em for free
You can drop by on the weekend and pick em up from me
But the trash can ain't part of the deal
Only givin' you the peanuts, get real
Don't have no Hefty bags, so bring your own
Don't bug me with questions on the phone
Don't ask for help, don't waste my time
And don't complain, cause they won't cost you a dime
Just ask yourself
Do you want my Styrofoam peanuts?
You can have my Styrofoam peanuts
Do you want my Styrofoam peanuts?
You can have 'em all

They're on Craigslist, yeah
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Coordination costs are real costs.

JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 22:29
They're on Craigslist, yeah
I had never heard this one before! Thank you for posting it.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Never give away anything for free on Craigslist. Charge five bucks or something. Offering free stuff brings the nutters in a way that charging anything at all does not.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren »

Jake wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:01
Never give away anything for free on Craigslist. Charge five bucks or something. Offering free stuff brings the nutters in a way that charging anything at all does not.
If I ever contract a fatal disease, I'm giving it away for free on Craigslist.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Microwaved leftovers, and when you end up with ice crystals about 1mm away from another part of your food that is as hot as the surface of the sun.

Highway

Post by Highway »

My thing with microwaving now is to use lower power and longer times. So instead of 2 minutes at 100%, I'll do 6 minutes at 50%. Really helps with that problem.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Add a seperate vessel full of water next to the food for a steampunk lunch.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

JD wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 12:49
Microwaved leftovers, and when you end up with ice crystals about 1mm away from another part of your food that is as hot as the surface of the sun.
There's actually a reason for this. Liquid water absorbs microwave radiation much better than ice does, so as soon as some of your ice melts the rest of the ice is getting way less heat pumped into it.

This is why microwaving on low and/or resting and stirring in the middle matters so much: it gives all the ice a chance to melt from the heat in the rest of the food, so that afterwards the food can cook evenly.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 13:37
My thing with microwaving now is to use lower power and longer times. So instead of 2 minutes at 100%, I'll do 6 minutes at 50%. Really helps with that problem.
Ayup. Blast it for 15 seconds, let the heat redistribute for 15 seconds, blast it for another 15 seconds, rinse repeat, also creates fewer steam bursts that splatter tomato shards all over the inside of your microwave.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren »

Get plastic microwave cover so steam from hot side heats cold side.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

My rule of thumb is that unless it's an enormous 4-portion bowl of something, never more than 45 seconds to a minute at a time before stirring.

My wife drives me nuts on this. She'll put something in for 3 minutes, without removing the saran wrap on top of the bowl. So she'll burn herself getting it out, the outer layer of food is burned to the bowl or overcooked, and the saran wrap is melted nearly to the top of the food. And when she removes the saran wrap she'll get a steam burn. Then she'll burn her tongue on the food that was way overheated. She's a genius in the kitchen but is... impatient when she's hungry, and unwilling to admit that there is a right way and a wrong way to reheat food in a microwave.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Highway wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 13:37
Uh oh, you might break up a marriage if you continue with this talk.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex