Petty annoyances

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19209
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Sep 2019, 16:20

I mostly hate semi-pro, er, NCAA Division I football and I honestly don't care who wins the UVA - Notre Dame game, but it's on NBC and I've got the TV on and Ohmyfuckinggawd I suddenly remember how much I hate Notre Dame football! My Gawd, why don't the officials just wear gold helmets and be done with it?

(And cue Mo in three, two, one ...)

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16140
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dhex » 28 Sep 2019, 17:10

No argument fuck nd football. Worst graphic design cult ever.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6785
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by tr0g » 30 Sep 2019, 21:00

I burned the back side of my elbow on a heat gun doing Halloween decorations. I was previously unacquainted with 2d degree burns. This is annoying as hell, and not helped by the fact I have to use a mirror or my phone to actually see what is happening with it.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2019, 22:58

tr0g wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:00
I burned the back side of my elbow on a heat gun doing Halloween decorations. I was previously unacquainted with 2d degree burns. This is annoying as hell, and not helped by the fact I have to use a mirror or my phone to actually see what is happening with it.
Well it serves you right for putting up Halloween decorations in September.
Now get this straight, and this goes for the rest of you too.
No Halloween till Oct.
No Thanksgiving till Halloween
And especially No Christmas, and that means no tree, lights, ornaments, cards, songs, presents, nor any other Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, holliday related things of any kind, at all, till Thanksgiving.

And no dispensation for you Canadians and other furrin types. You know damn well when America celebrates which holidays, so don't fuck around.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16306
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 30 Sep 2019, 23:10

Warren wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:58
tr0g wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:00
I burned the back side of my elbow on a heat gun doing Halloween decorations. I was previously unacquainted with 2d degree burns. This is annoying as hell, and not helped by the fact I have to use a mirror or my phone to actually see what is happening with it.
Well it serves you right for putting up Halloween decorations in September.
Now get this straight, and this goes for the rest of you too.
No Halloween till Oct.
No Thanksgiving till Halloween
And especially No Christmas, and that means no tree, lights, ornaments, cards, songs, presents, nor any other Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, holliday related things of any kind, at all, till Thanksgiving.

And no dispensation for you Canadians and other furrin types. You know damn well when America celebrates which holidays, so don't fuck around.
No quarrel from me. I really did not like seeing Halloween candy in the stores in August.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11362
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD » 01 Oct 2019, 07:58

Warren wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:58
Well it serves you right for putting up Halloween decorations in September.
Now get this straight, and this goes for the rest of you too.
No Halloween till Oct.
No Thanksgiving till Halloween
And especially No Christmas, and that means no tree, lights, ornaments, cards, songs, presents, nor any other Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, holliday related things of any kind, at all, till Thanksgiving.
I agree but I would even take it a little further and say No Christmas Until December. Which I realize isn't a huge difference, but the whole point of holiday seasons is that it isn't a holiday season all the time: there has to be non-holiday time as well.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2019, 09:52

JD wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 07:58
Warren wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:58
Well it serves you right for putting up Halloween decorations in September.
Now get this straight, and this goes for the rest of you too.
No Halloween till Oct.
No Thanksgiving till Halloween
And especially No Christmas, and that means no tree, lights, ornaments, cards, songs, presents, nor any other Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, holliday related things of any kind, at all, till Thanksgiving.
I agree but I would even take it a little further and say No Christmas Until December. Which I realize isn't a huge difference, but the whole point of holiday seasons is that it isn't a holiday season all the time: there has to be non-holiday time as well.
I'd go along with that, but the Macy's Day Parade is an institution and always ends with Santa Clause. I'm trying to draw a line we can hold.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17712
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2019, 00:23

Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 09:52
JD wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 07:58
Warren wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:58
Well it serves you right for putting up Halloween decorations in September.
Now get this straight, and this goes for the rest of you too.
No Halloween till Oct.
No Thanksgiving till Halloween
And especially No Christmas, and that means no tree, lights, ornaments, cards, songs, presents, nor any other Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, holliday related things of any kind, at all, till Thanksgiving.
I agree but I would even take it a little further and say No Christmas Until December. Which I realize isn't a huge difference, but the whole point of holiday seasons is that it isn't a holiday season all the time: there has to be non-holiday time as well.
I'd go along with that, but the Macy's Day Parade is an institution and always ends with Santa Clause. I'm trying to draw a line we can hold.
There are twelve days of Christmas. The Macy's parade is one of them, but they don't have to be consecutive. So if you use Thanksgiving for one, and want to have Christmas still be around on the 25th, you shouldn't start decorating until the 14th.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 00:37

Damnit! You people are ruining my hard line in the sand. When you start hearing A Chipmunk Song in your Spotify next August, don't come caroling to me :x
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7203
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jadagul » 02 Oct 2019, 01:29

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 00:23
Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 09:52
JD wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 07:58
Warren wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:58
Well it serves you right for putting up Halloween decorations in September.
Now get this straight, and this goes for the rest of you too.
No Halloween till Oct.
No Thanksgiving till Halloween
And especially No Christmas, and that means no tree, lights, ornaments, cards, songs, presents, nor any other Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, holliday related things of any kind, at all, till Thanksgiving.
I agree but I would even take it a little further and say No Christmas Until December. Which I realize isn't a huge difference, but the whole point of holiday seasons is that it isn't a holiday season all the time: there has to be non-holiday time as well.
I'd go along with that, but the Macy's Day Parade is an institution and always ends with Santa Clause. I'm trying to draw a line we can hold.
There are twelve days of Christmas. The Macy's parade is one of them, but they don't have to be consecutive. So if you use Thanksgiving for one, and want to have Christmas still be around on the 25th, you shouldn't start decorating until the 14th.
I hate you.

You know perfectly well that's not what that means.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17712
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2019, 01:55

Jadagul wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 01:29
lunchstealer wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 00:23
Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 09:52
JD wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 07:58
Warren wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:58
Well it serves you right for putting up Halloween decorations in September.
Now get this straight, and this goes for the rest of you too.
No Halloween till Oct.
No Thanksgiving till Halloween
And especially No Christmas, and that means no tree, lights, ornaments, cards, songs, presents, nor any other Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus, holliday related things of any kind, at all, till Thanksgiving.
I agree but I would even take it a little further and say No Christmas Until December. Which I realize isn't a huge difference, but the whole point of holiday seasons is that it isn't a holiday season all the time: there has to be non-holiday time as well.
I'd go along with that, but the Macy's Day Parade is an institution and always ends with Santa Clause. I'm trying to draw a line we can hold.
There are twelve days of Christmas. The Macy's parade is one of them, but they don't have to be consecutive. So if you use Thanksgiving for one, and want to have Christmas still be around on the 25th, you shouldn't start decorating until the 14th.
I hate you.

You know perfectly well that's not what that means.
What are you doing fucking around with christmas shit before fall semester finals are over anyway?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7203
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jadagul » 02 Oct 2019, 02:00

Well, first of all, Christmas songs are great, and you start playing and singing them after Thanksgiving dinner. (I mostly do my shopping after I get grades in, though.)

But second, that wasn't even the point. I'm upset on principle at the misuse of "twelve days of Christmas."

If you would like me to be nitpicky and claim that I'm celebrating Advent throughout December, I can do that for you, though.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12691
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Ellie » 02 Oct 2019, 02:03

Jadagul wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 02:00
I'm upset on principle at the misuse of "twelve days of Christmas."
Team Jadagul. The twelve days of Christmas START ON CHRISTMAS DAY. Then you have a proper twelfth* night party on January 5!



* Chrome isn't giving me the red squiggly line under this so I must have spelled it right, but it looks wrong, and like less and less of a real word the longer I stare at it
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7203
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jadagul » 02 Oct 2019, 02:40

Ellie wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 02:03
Jadagul wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 02:00
I'm upset on principle at the misuse of "twelve days of Christmas."
Team Jadagul. The twelve days of Christmas START ON CHRISTMAS DAY. Then you have a proper twelfth* night party on January 5!



* Chrome isn't giving me the red squiggly line under this so I must have spelled it right, but it looks wrong, and like less and less of a real word the longer I stare at it
You celebrate the Fest of the Epiphany on December 6. With King Cake.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12691
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Ellie » 02 Oct 2019, 03:12

OBVIOUSLY with a King Cake. :D
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17712
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2019, 05:13

Look, if you want to wait to celebrate Christmas starting on Christmas day so you can have your strictly religious observance, that's fine. I'm just saying you get twelve days so if you're starting on Halloween you need to be wrapping that shit up by Veterans' Day.

CAP AND TRADE. I'M DRUNK WITH AL GORE'S POWER!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 10:53

Ellie wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 03:12
OBVIOUSLY with a King Cake. :D
WTF? How can twelfth night be a New Orleans thing?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16306
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 02 Oct 2019, 10:57

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 10:53
Ellie wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 03:12
OBVIOUSLY with a King Cake. :D
WTF? How can twelfth night be a New Orleans thing?
?? How could it not be? Twelfth Night is very much a French Catholic thing, just like Mardi Gras.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19209
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Oct 2019, 12:49

Jadagul wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 02:40
Ellie wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 02:03
Jadagul wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 02:00
I'm upset on principle at the misuse of "twelve days of Christmas."
Team Jadagul. The twelve days of Christmas START ON CHRISTMAS DAY. Then you have a proper twelfth* night party on January 5!



You celebrate the Fest of the Epiphany on December 6. With King Cake.
The King Cake business is a very Louisiana (and, by extension, Southern) thing, but I otherwise agree. Advent is the beginning of the Christian year, as a result of which we sing "Come Thou, Long Expected Jesus" at family dinners every Advent (a tradition that traces back to adolescence). The Christmas Season is the twelve days beginning with Christmas day and ending on Epiphany.

Commercial Christmas can start on Groundhog's Day for all I care, and given that Christianity co-oped other religious holidays, ceremonies and traditions, Christians have no moral standing to bitch about it being co-opted for commercial or secular purposes. Sing whatever you want whenever you want. Put your 'Christmas' decorations up in your front yard on the 5th of July. Who cares?

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24550
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2019, 12:55

King Cake ... kinda sux? If I were doing religious traditions in Louisiana and I needed to stuff a baby in an edible, I think I’d go boudin.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 15:51

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 12:49
Commercial Christmas can start on Groundhog's Day for all I care...
Heretic!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11362
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD » 02 Oct 2019, 15:56

Man, some people's product reviews are whiny as shit. I was looking at reviews for monitors, and one said that a particular 23" monitor was "kind of small for gaming", and another complained about the "huge bezel" on another monitor (bezel looks to be about 1/4" from the customer photos). These people should be sentenced to using a 13" CRT, like just about everybody over the age of 30 did.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7203
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jadagul » 02 Oct 2019, 16:34

JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 12:55
King Cake ... kinda sux? If I were doing religious traditions in Louisiana and I needed to stuff a baby in an edible, I think I’d go boudin.
King cake can be pretty good, although it can also be quite mediocre.

Also depends on how much of a sweet tooth you have. I like sugar, so "Pour on a glaze and then pile half an inch of ground sugar on top" makes me quite happy with it.

But also it's tradition. I had king cake every year growing up, and goddamn if I'm not going to keep having king cake every year.

(Besides, making brioche is fun.)

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16306
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 02 Oct 2019, 16:42

JD wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 15:56
Man, some people's product reviews are whiny as shit. I was looking at reviews for monitors, and one said that a particular 23" monitor was "kind of small for gaming", and another complained about the "huge bezel" on another monitor (bezel looks to be about 1/4" from the customer photos). These people should be sentenced to using a 13" CRT, like just about everybody over the age of 30 did.
I'd make them use 5¼ inch floppy discs.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2019, 16:44

Aresen wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 16:42
JD wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 15:56
Man, some people's product reviews are whiny as shit. I was looking at reviews for monitors, and one said that a particular 23" monitor was "kind of small for gaming", and another complained about the "huge bezel" on another monitor (bezel looks to be about 1/4" from the customer photos). These people should be sentenced to using a 13" CRT, like just about everybody over the age of 30 did.
I'd make them use 5¼ inch floppy discs.
Acoustic coupled modems.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post Reply
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests