Petty annoyances

Wixenstyx

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Wixenstyx » 18 Jul 2019, 20:02

I appreciate the cautionary tale against trying to fight the city collector, but I still feel for you.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2019, 20:07

Wixenstyx wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 20:02
I appreciate the cautionary tale against trying to fight the city collector, but I still feel for you.
I gather nuking St. Louis was not an option?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2019, 21:04

Aresen wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 20:07
Wixenstyx wrote:
A good nuke will cost Wix at least THRICE as much as just paying the back taxes and fines. Not worth it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jul 2019, 07:27

Speaking of taxes the state of Maryland sent me a letter at the beginning of the month.

MD: Bruh, you owe us money. Also you have nine days to pay us. Also here's our fuck you fees. Go Ravens.

The amount is weird and we didn't owe MD a mother fucking thing this year. So I talk with my accountant whom I love dearly and she's like lemme check.

Three days of throwing bags of old bay at each other pass and she's back with news - MD says we owe them for part - and only part - of a quarterly tax payment from q4 2017.

The fuck, I say, and check records. Got a receipt for the q4 payment. And a bank statement showing the debit. Again this is 2017.

She sends the stuff in and says I may get more notices from the state and to just file them away for the time being.

A week later I get a letter from the state.

MD: We have received notice of your telling us to "eat a bucket of old bay flavored donkey dicks". We'll send you our decision in eight to twelve weeks because we gotta go Google what a "turn signal" is and it's gonna take some time.

So that's cool.

Weird side fact - I am the only client of this entire firm, business or individual, who makes their payments online.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 19 Jul 2019, 09:43

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 21:04
Aresen wrote:
Wixenstyx wrote:
A good nuke will cost Wix at least THRICE as much as just paying the back taxes and fines. Not worth it.
That, and it would be redundant. (By the way, can you please take your HOTtlanta weather back?)
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 16:27

Wixenstyx wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 09:43
Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 21:04
Aresen wrote:
Wixenstyx wrote:
That, and it would be redundant. (By the way, can you please take your HOTtlanta weather back?)
Why would I want to do THAT? If anything, I'm trying to unload MORE of it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Jul 2019, 22:12

dhex wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 07:27
Speaking of taxes the state of Maryland sent me a letter at the beginning of the month.

MD: Bruh, you owe us money. Also you have nine days to pay us. Also here's our fuck you fees. Go Ravens.

The amount is weird and we didn't owe MD a mother fucking thing this year. So I talk with my accountant whom I love dearly and she's like lemme check.

Three days of throwing bags of old bay at each other pass and she's back with news - MD says we owe them for part - and only part - of a quarterly tax payment from q4 2017.

The fuck, I say, and check records. Got a receipt for the q4 payment. And a bank statement showing the debit. Again this is 2017.

She sends the stuff in and says I may get more notices from the state and to just file them away for the time being.

A week later I get a letter from the state.

MD: We have received notice of your telling us to "eat a bucket of old bay flavored donkey dicks". We'll send you our decision in eight to twelve weeks because we gotta go Google what a "turn signal" is and it's gonna take some time.

So that's cool.

Weird side fact - I am the only client of this entire firm, business or individual, who makes their payments online.

For the record, this is art.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jul 2019, 13:38

Last Friday we got a notice in our mailbox telling us that the USPS had tried to deliver something that needed a signature. But it was very vague - the notice included our address + apartment number, but no name, and there was no explanation of what it was or why a signature was needed. Also the form itself was a bad photocopy, not one of the pre-printed things the USPS usually uses. My wife started coming up with all of these scenarios: we're being evicted, we're being sued, we're being audited, etc., but all of them seemed unlikely.

We went into the post office this morning (BTW, the post office "opens" at 8 AM...however, nobody actually shows up to man the counter until 9) to try and pick up the mysterious piece of mail. The lady behind the counter took my ID and disappeared for a long time. Eventually she came back and said she had been through all of the held mail for the last month and couldn't find anything that matched. She was actually very nice about the whole thing, but I did start whistling the theme from Brazil.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jul 2019, 14:01

JD wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 13:38
The lady behind the counter took my ID and disappeared for a long time. Eventually she came back and said she had been through all of the held mail for the last month and couldn't find anything that matched. She was actually very nice about the whole thing, but I did start whistling the theme from Brazil.
Did you notice an unusually large amount of duct work? Pneumatic tubing?

Did the notice suggest leaving the form filled out for the carrier rather than taking to the P.O? Could someone phishing for your sig?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Jul 2019, 14:59

It's annoying when I can only half-hear a song at a restaurant. It was a great selection of uncommon 60s rock songs this morning, and I couldn't quite make out one. If I could've heard it fully, I'd know it. Maybe The Nice or someone similar.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 07 Aug 2019, 00:23

Internet-based college courses that leverage the 'busy work' convention of 'Comment on X posts from your classmates' just strike me as lazy.

Peer review is fine in its place, but I really don't care what my classmates think of my spreadsheet of t-test practice problems, nor do I care to waste my time reading theirs.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Aug 2019, 02:07

Andrew wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 14:59
It's annoying when I can only half-hear a song at a restaurant. It was a great selection of uncommon 60s rock songs this morning, and I couldn't quite make out one. If I could've heard it fully, I'd know it. Maybe The Nice or someone similar.
Considering where you live I suspect it was something from Los Yetis.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Aug 2019, 02:34

Wixenstyx wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 00:23
Internet-based college courses that leverage the 'busy work' convention of 'Comment on X posts from your classmates' just strike me as lazy.

Peer review is fine in its place, but I really don't care what my classmates think of my spreadsheet of t-test practice problems, nor do I care to waste my time reading theirs.
Yeah, online courses could benefit from less bullshit peer review and more assignments that replicate situations that one might encounter in the jobs that one is ostensibly training for.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jake

Post by Jake » 07 Aug 2019, 10:57

Wixenstyx wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 00:23

Cosign. Shit's worthless, yo.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Aug 2019, 11:50

I rarely assign students to peer review each other's drafts, but when I do, (1) I see the benefits accruing to the reviewer more than the reviewed and (2) I still provide my own critique of the draft rather than trusting California public high school graduates to provide useful feedback.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Aug 2019, 06:52

thoreau wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 11:50
I rarely assign students to peer review each other's drafts, but when I do, (1) I see the benefits accruing to the reviewer more than the reviewed and (2) I still provide my own critique of the draft rather than trusting California public high school graduates to provide useful feedback.
San Dimas High School football Rules!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2019, 08:59

Kolohe wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 06:52
thoreau wrote:
San Dimas High School football Rules!
Excellent
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 08 Aug 2019, 16:39

thoreau wrote:
I can agree with this, when we're talking about drafts of papers; but I think the same could be accomplished by simply recommending we all read each others' papers and dispense with the feedback part. I've gotten comments from folks advising me to do the wrong things, so now I don't even bother reading the comments anymore. I'll wait for the instructor to ring in first.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Aug 2019, 17:11

Wixenstyx wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:39
I've gotten comments from folks advising me to do the wrong things, so now I don't even bother reading the comments anymore.
This is why I see the feedback before the author does. I either write "Yeah, this is good feedback, do that" or "Ignore this" on the feedback.

Good peer review takes a metric shit ton of work on my part, and that's why I rarely assign students to do it. Lazy peer review is a lazy substitute for grading, hence certain colleagues assign it frequently.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Aug 2019, 10:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 02:07
Andrew wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 14:59
Considering where you live I suspect it was something from Los Yetis.
I let it wander around my brain that day and realized it was "Hurry On Sundown" from Hawkwind's first album. Great song.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 10 Aug 2019, 14:51

Jennifer wrote:
27 Mar 2011, 12:55
Earth Hour is the equivalent of me saying "My God, I need to reduce my sugar intake," so when I had my usual two spoonfuls of sugar to my morning coffee I remove ONE sparkling white grain from the spoon first. Because I'm the kinda gal who Cares Enough To Make A Difference.
You should put that one grain in a special container, and later post photos of how much sugar you didn't eat to social media. You'll be a star!

New petty annoyance: my bosses are both under 30. I didn't think this would bother me, as their youthful optimism and energy are part of what makes a school like the one for which I now work possible, but I swear if they say, 'We should really norm around that." one more time I am going to beat them to death with my cane.

Jake

Post by Jake » 10 Aug 2019, 14:54

Wixenstyx wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 14:51
[...] but I swear if they say, 'We should really norm around that." one more time I am going to beat them to death with my cane.
Some motivated... reinterpretation may be in order.

Last edited by Jake on 10 Aug 2019, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 10 Aug 2019, 14:55

This board needs a like button.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2019, 14:57

Wixenstyx wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 14:51
Jennifer wrote:
27 Mar 2011, 12:55
Earth Hour is the equivalent of me saying "My God, I need to reduce my sugar intake," so when I had my usual two spoonfuls of sugar to my morning coffee I remove ONE sparkling white grain from the spoon first. Because I'm the kinda gal who Cares Enough To Make A Difference.
You should put that one grain in a special container, and later post photos of how much sugar you didn't eat to social media. You'll be a star!

New petty annoyance: my bosses are both under 30. I didn't think this would bother me, as their youthful optimism and energy are part of what makes a school like the one for which I now work possible, but I swear if they say, 'We should really norm around that." one more time I am going to beat them to death with my cane.
No no. You must cultivate, and embrace, a schoolmarm persona. Not for everyday wear you understand, you just pull her out when the occasion demands. Like when you hear "We should really norm around that", you look over the top of your glasses and *tsk* *tsk* *tsk*.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 10 Aug 2019, 14:59

I think it would be more fun to shout 'NORM!'

Except that, bless their hearts, they probably would have no idea what I was doing.