Petty annoyances

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 06 Jun 2019, 16:07

Fedex and UPS drivers regularly throw packages over the fence of my closed patio on the street side of my townhouse. The actual entrance is through the courtyard in the back. I don't use my patio often, so packages can sit there for months.

'So why don't you check the patio when you are expecting packages?' I hear you ask.

Because I'm not expecting packages. The dumbfuck delivery drivers keep bringing packages for the complex next door. I am at Unit YY, ##3# This Street and I keep getting packages for Unit YY, ##4# This Street.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13536
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jun 2019, 18:48

Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 15:57
I remember people posting videos of the FedEx truck standing in front of their house for a few minutes and then moving on without anyone getting out because it was 10O out and the driver didn't want to get out of his warm truck.
You can find them for USPS as well. Nice days, too. They just stop, look at the house with the car in the driveway or other signs of resident presence, then drive on after marking "Not home".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 12 Jun 2019, 01:00

I cleaned the kitchen floor this morning. Unfortunately, I had run out of cleaner, so I used a tiny amount of Pine Sol (2 capfulls). Now the whole downstairs stinks of that stuff. Ugh.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2019, 01:05

Aresen wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 01:00
I cleaned the kitchen floor this morning. Unfortunately, I had run out of cleaner, so I used a tiny amount of Pine Sol (2 capfulls). Now the whole downstairs stinks of that stuff. Ugh.
???
First of all 2 capfulls of Pine Sol in your basic bucket is the standard amount. And second, the pleasin' odour's half the point.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1253
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dead_elvis » 13 Jun 2019, 13:52

It's just brilliant that Apple puts the dictation options in the Keyboard preferences, and not in, say, the dictation portion of Accessibility, where I logically looked getting more and more frustrated and angry until googling. WTF.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17308
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jun 2019, 22:20

dead_elvis wrote:It's just brilliant that Apple puts the dictation options in the Keyboard preferences, and not in, say, the dictation portion of Accessibility, where I logically looked getting more and more frustrated and angry until googling. WTF.
Apparently you just aren't intuitive enough, DE.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1253
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dead_elvis » 13 Jun 2019, 23:43

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 22:20
dead_elvis wrote:It's just brilliant that Apple puts the dictation options in the Keyboard preferences, and not in, say, the dictation portion of Accessibility, where I logically looked getting more and more frustrated and angry until googling. WTF.
Apparently you just aren't intuitive enough, DE.
I buy Turbotax every year, what more do they want.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1253
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jun 2019, 19:27

Just got a visit from a canvaser for Amnesty International. It annoyed me because while I think they do important work, I don't appreciate anybody who comes to the house and basically runs through a laundry list of high pressure sales tactics. As the pitch went on every time I insisted that thank you very much I will look up the website I need to get back to work you could see her immediately switch tactics. It's like it didn't matter what it was, she could have been selling vaccuum cleaners and only some keywords would have been different. And jebus tone it down a bit, you've clearly had a little too much meth. She was talking in english but all I heard was 180 bpm HI-NRG AMNESTY.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15959
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dhex » 29 Jun 2019, 19:43

COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPCOPCOPS
COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS CCCCCCCCCCCOPS
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 29 Jun 2019, 20:04

dhex wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 19:43
COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPCOPCOPS
COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS CCCCCCCCCCCOPS
We're awaiting specifics.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2019, 20:28

Aresen wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 20:04
dhex wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 19:43
COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPCOPCOPS
COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS CCCCCCCCCCCOPS
We're awaiting specifics.
Preferably with an accompanying mug shot
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6711
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Dangerman » 29 Jun 2019, 21:51

It's because it's almost-Fourth-of-July-weekend so there are cops on every road, in every parking lot, on the side of every highway, and generally up everyone's ass. Maybe also checkpoints because Freedom of course.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15959
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dhex » 30 Jun 2019, 08:53

Aresen wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 20:04
dhex wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 19:43
COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPCOPCOPS
COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS CCCCCCCCCCCOPS
We're awaiting specifics.
No that's what highnrg amnesty sounds like.

The prog rock version goes like [indeterminate noodling]
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18768
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jul 2019, 15:46

My wife wanted the piano tuned. Why? No idea. No one in the house plays, my feeble attempts occasionally to learn a few chords or knock out a tune aside; it's not an especially good piano, it's an old upright from a church somewhere in decent enough condition cosmetically for what it is, but still. Plus, remember there's roughly a 33% chance we'll be moving next year. But she wanted it tuned, so the guy came over today and, um, 'tuned' it. $175.

So, 'tuned' because, pressed after the fact, he admitted it was in relative tune not, strictly speaking, concert tuned. Yeah, okay, no one was going to use the thing, anyway, but I'd kind of liked to know that was the best he could / would do *before* writing the check, you know? Were it up to me, that money would have been spent differently.

Nice guy, though, and we got chatting afterwards and it turned out he, too, was a bit of a stereo buff from way back, so we talked about that when he saw my speakers, etc. in my den while I -- cough, cough -- wrote the check. I walked him to the front door and, beaming with the pride of a guy with a new car (paid for $175 at a clip, no doubt), he showed me his new Tesla Model 3. Did I want to take a ride around the block? Sure! And I admit it's a pretty damned neat car. Would I buy one? Maybe the Model S someday, who knows? But I did sort of feel like I'd gotten more for my $175 (did I mention he charged $175?) when he dropped me off.

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1653
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kwix » 03 Jul 2019, 21:00

"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2019, 21:08

Kwix wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 21:00
Related, my hood:
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-c ... ping-case/
A thousand dollars and 300 hours community service? It's a travesty of justice says I.
Now if he had culled out the junk mail I'd donate to his defense/campaign fund.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10902
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD » 04 Jul 2019, 17:36

I ordered some fancy spray paint from Amazon. Fully half the cans arrived damaged and unusable because they were packaged with absolutely zero padding beyond a small air-bag tossed in the box.

Yesterday I got a new cell phone, for the first time in ages. While discovering the spraycans were damaged, I dropped my new phone, which I'd had less than 24 hours, about three feet onto a tarpaper roof, and the screen shattered.
Beep boop, you silly humans.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 04 Jul 2019, 17:38

JD wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 17:36
I ordered some fancy spray paint from Amazon. Fully half the cans arrived damaged and unusable because they were packaged with absolutely zero padding beyond a small air-bag tossed in the box.

Yesterday I got a new cell phone, for the first time in ages. While discovering the spraycans were damaged, I dropped my new phone, which I'd had less than 24 hours, about three feet onto a tarpaper roof, and the screen shattered.
You can take some solace in knowing that your misfortune has provided me with some small amusement. :)
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1653
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kwix » 04 Jul 2019, 18:45

I've gotten more than one package from Amazon recently with the token "air bag" tossed in.
WTF? Do or do not. There is no try.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10902
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD » 05 Jul 2019, 08:17

Kwix wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 18:45
I've gotten more than one package from Amazon recently with the token "air bag" tossed in.
WTF? Do or do not. There is no try.
Fortunately, Amazon was really good about refunding my money (a total refund, even though not all of the items were damaged). Spray paint is not returnable, but they did offer to just refund me. They asked me to send a photo of the damaged items from my Amazon email account, and when I explained that would be difficult (for dull technical reasons), they said "don't even worry about it". Which was nice, but I think it points up why they don't do better packaging: they just don't care. It's cheaper for them to hand out refunds than pack things better, I guess.
Beep boop, you silly humans.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24544
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Mo » 05 Jul 2019, 09:05

JD wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 08:17
Kwix wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 18:45
I've gotten more than one package from Amazon recently with the token "air bag" tossed in.
WTF? Do or do not. There is no try.
Fortunately, Amazon was really good about refunding my money (a total refund, even though not all of the items were damaged). Spray paint is not returnable, but they did offer to just refund me. They asked me to send a photo of the damaged items from my Amazon email account, and when I explained that would be difficult (for dull technical reasons), they said "don't even worry about it". Which was nice, but I think it points up why they don't do better packaging: they just don't care. It's cheaper for them to hand out refunds than pack things better, I guess.
It costs them nothing for refunds if it's a 3rd party seller. The seller is on the hook.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6647
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Andrew » 05 Jul 2019, 10:22

What makes it extra strange is I've gotten items that would survive a nuclear blast on their own packed in a dozen air bags.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26673
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 05 Jul 2019, 11:03

Andrew wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 10:22
What makes it extra strange is I've gotten items that would survive a nuclear blast on their own packed in a dozen air bags.
That's been my experience with amazon as well.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2019, 19:50

I have somehow gotten on the distribution list of a Calgary, Alberta activist group - which seems focused on bike lanes or something like that - and can't get off. (Calgary is 1000 km from where I live.)

I've received half a dozen emails from them and made 4 requests to be taken off their distribution list. They've promised to do so 3 times, but somehow I keep getting their emails. They're blaming their computers.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24225
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jul 2019, 19:53

A thousand kilometers? That's, like, almost three dollars in American money!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pham Nuwen and 13 guests