Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 06 May 2019, 18:08

Highway wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:06
I generally prefer to be spoiled on all shows, at least for the general shape of what happens (who lives, who dies, who succeeds, who fails). Maybe not so much on some racing, as that'll cause me to not watch a recording if a person I don't like won. But then I probably wouldn't have liked it that much anyway.
I'm the same way -- to the point where sometimes, if I'm watching a movie or old TV episode at home, I'll look up the plot on Wikipedia to see what's going to happen, and determine if I want to finish watching the rest. (Of course, during my formative years there were several instances of me watching a movie or TV version of a story I'd already read, so the idea "I'm watching this show even though I already know everything that's going to happen" is nothing new, and perfectly acceptable.)

Offhand, the only viewing experiences I can think of where not knowing the plot in advance enhanced my viewing experience were things like Fight Club and Mr. Robot, and only because knowing the twists in advance would've ruined the "rewatch bonus" value: "Oh, yeah, this works one way when you watch it thinking everything is X, but also works on a different level when you watch it knowing X is actually Y!"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 May 2019, 10:16

Jadagul wrote:
06 May 2019, 16:40
Jasper wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:58
Increasingly difficult to avoid GOT spoilers online.
Really fascinating to me how the entire internet (and especially Twitter) have been fanatic about not spoiling Endgame, and at the same time giving an unwarned play-by-play of every GoT episode as it happens.

I suspect this is like 2/3 the difference between TV and film, and 1/3 the fact that people actually liked Endgame.
I have a sense that people are trying to talk themselves into both things.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 May 2019, 10:34

Some of that has been encouraged by some networks who want people to tweet/post in real-time to get people to stop watching later on dvrs and skipping commercials.

Meanwhile movie studios want to build drama and suspense about the films so they want people saying go see the movie and if people know the twists and stuff they may not be as eager to see the movie as if they were feeling compelled to see it themselves to find out what everyone else knows.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 May 2019, 10:42

I think it's just 'people want to talk about what they watched last night' more than anything. It's different with a movie. Even if it's part of a trilogy or extended universe, it still hast to stand alone. People see it when they decide to. With a tv show, most everybody sees it the same night, and you have to talk about it this week before next weeks episode comes out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 May 2019, 12:59

Warren wrote:
07 May 2019, 10:42
I think it's just 'people want to talk about what they watched last night' more than anything. <snip> With a tv show, most everybody sees it the same night, and you have to talk about it this week before next weeks episode comes out.
Oh, totally this. I get it. My complaint is essentially self-inflicted as we ditched cable a few years ago now, and also ditched the HBO via Hulu thing, maybe two years ago.

So the options are resub to HBO thru Hulu, or wait for buyable digital downloads or blu rays.

I am invested in the show, so I want to see it through. I'm just jelly of folks enjoying the show now after waiting so long. And I can't blame anyone eagerly discussing it online. Only myself for being a bit of a cheapskate.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 May 2019, 13:17

You do know this is 2019 right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 May 2019, 15:25

Yeah, that's what I meant by the difference between TV and film. TV is sort of inherently a mass event, and I can see the TV studios wanting to make it more so. While movies are a bit more independent and the studio definitely wanted to keep discussion of spoilers tamped down.

Jason: which both things are people trying to talk themselves into? Endgame was quite good. I don't have a first-hand opinion of GoT because I lost interest back in like 2003, but everything I've heard makes it _sound_ bad.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 May 2019, 16:11

There is maybe not that much consensus that Endgame was good in my nerdosphere

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 May 2019, 17:47

Meh-Game, IMHO.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 May 2019, 19:01

It did not match the first Avengers film. None of the solo or small-group films has matched The Winter Soldier. None of the 'funny' films has matched GotG 1, although Ragnarok and first Ant Man came close. And the truth serum scene from AMatW was worth the price of admission all on its own. But I digress.

It wasn't the best of the MCU films, but I didn't feel the 3 hour length except in the first three scenes of the aftermath of the snap which were SO SLOWLY PACED. But after that, it was tightly paced, had some real gravitas at times (Nebula's arc especially) some decent laughs if not quite hitting Whedon notes, and the Caps/Mjollnir bit was some of the best fan service I've seen and FFS what's the point of having a franchise if you can't service your fans a little. So it didn't fail in any way. None of the comic book movie must-haves went unchecked.

Jadagul is Jadacorrect. It was quite good. It had glaring flaws, but the last comic book film that didn't starred Adam West and could only have been made better if they'd been able to do the Can't Get Rid of a Bomb scene as a one-shot but the pretentiouscomicbookfilm technology hadn't been invented yet.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 May 2019, 19:31

lunchstealer wrote:
07 May 2019, 19:01
None of the 'funny' films has matched GotG 1, although Ragnarok and first Ant Man came close.
Deadpool1 comes close. Those two are ass.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 May 2019, 19:35

Warren wrote:
07 May 2019, 19:31
lunchstealer wrote:
07 May 2019, 19:01
None of the 'funny' films has matched GotG 1, although Ragnarok and first Ant Man came close.
Deadpool1 comes close. Those two are ass.
Deadpool isn't MCU.

Ant Man is delightful. Fucking delightful.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 May 2019, 17:52

Once AGAIN the air conditioner is either broken or out of freon. Just got it fixed/filled a couple months ago.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 16 May 2019, 08:27

When you order something from a company about 15 miles from where you live and it takes a tour of the whole region before it gets to you. I live in Brooklyn. I ordered something online, and was pleasantly surprised to see it was coming from Oakland, NJ, which is about 15 miles northwest of the city. First it went to Blauvelt, NY, which is kind of in the wrong direction, but OK, whatever, maybe that's the local shipping center. Then it went to Breinigsville, PA, which is about 100 miles back past NYC. So an item that I could have gone and gotten myself in a couple hours, were it from a real physical store, is spending five days on a tour of the mid-Atlantic states.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 May 2019, 10:56

JD wrote:
16 May 2019, 08:27
When you order something from a company about 15 miles from where you live and it takes a tour of the whole region before it gets to you. I live in Brooklyn. I ordered something online, and was pleasantly surprised to see it was coming from Oakland, NJ, which is about 15 miles northwest of the city. First it went to Blauvelt, NY, which is kind of in the wrong direction, but OK, whatever, maybe that's the local shipping center. Then it went to Breinigsville, PA, which is about 100 miles back past NYC. So an item that I could have gone and gotten myself in a couple hours, were it from a real physical store, is spending five days on a tour of the mid-Atlantic states.
It's obvious they've moving towards you in alphabetical order:
1) Blauvelt
2) Breinigsville
3) Brooklyn
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 May 2019, 11:04

Good thing you live in Brooklyn and not Zoar.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 May 2019, 15:11

I had a miniscule red bump on the end of my nose -- either an embryonic pimple, or the bite of a gnat or similarly tiny non-disease-carrying bug -- except I must have scratched it in my sleep, because I woke up to find that tiny bump replaced by a straight red-line scab almost a quarter-inch long.

JD

Post by JD » 17 May 2019, 15:01

Aresen wrote:
16 May 2019, 10:56
JD wrote:
16 May 2019, 08:27
It's obvious they've moving towards you in alphabetical order:
1) Blauvelt
2) Breinigsville
3) Brooklyn
Well, the next stop was Edison, NJ, so they were in keeping with the alphabetical theme there. And it's already made it to Brooklyn! ...and into the hands of the US Postal Service, which probably ensures that having spent five days touring the region, it will now spend five days sitting in the local post office.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 May 2019, 22:41

When a watering hole features a number of craft brews (sporting names like: Riding Mower) and the bartender can't tell you a thing about any of them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jun 2019, 10:56

One of my Amazon orders has not arrived because the USPS is claiming that they could not access our building, period. This strikes me as highly unlikely.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 06 Jun 2019, 11:36

JD wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 10:56
One of my Amazon orders has not arrived because the USPS is claiming that they could not access our building, period. This strikes me as highly unlikely.
That will randomly happen to some of my Amazon orders with USPS or UPS, and it makes no sense, because I get something from Amazon about twice a week. Sometimes I have gotten so stubbornly annoyed that I have just ignored the direction to pick it up at the nearest UPS place and let it get returned, and out spite.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jun 2019, 12:53

Rachel wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 11:36
JD wrote:
That will randomly happen to some of my Amazon orders with USPS or UPS, and it makes no sense, because I get something from Amazon about twice a week. Sometimes I have gotten so stubbornly annoyed that I have just ignored the direction to pick it up at the nearest UPS place and let it get returned, and out spite.
And today it arrived. I'm pretty sure that nothing changed. Unless there was a truck parked on the sidewalk blocking our entire door, I can't see what would have happened yesterday for the building not to be accessible. Even if there was something completely blocking the door, the delivery guys generally know to leave things with the sandwich shop that shares our address, which I know was open yesterday, and those guys are always good about receiving our mail. Based on the general weirdness of our mail delivery, I really suspect that sometimes the mailman just doesn't get around to our building and then makes up something like "couldn't access address" to cover for it.

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Jun 2019, 13:47

JD wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 12:53
Rachel wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 11:36
JD wrote:
And today it arrived. I'm pretty sure that nothing changed. Unless there was a truck parked on the sidewalk blocking our entire door, I can't see what would have happened yesterday for the building not to be accessible. Even if there was something completely blocking the door, the delivery guys generally know to leave things with the sandwich shop that shares our address, which I know was open yesterday, and those guys are always good about receiving our mail. Based on the general weirdness of our mail delivery, I really suspect that sometimes the mailman just doesn't get around to our building and then makes up something like "couldn't access address" to cover for it.
That's what everyone does. We get that from UPS all the time. We can watch something on their tracker all afternoon, and then 7 PM hits and an "Delivery attempted, nobody home" message pops up, even if we've been sitting there on the front porch, and no truck has been there for hours. We had USPS one time NOT deliver a package, say it was put in the mailbox (it was a BluRay player, it wouldn't fit in the mailbox), and then deliver it the next day... by just leaning it against the mailbox post at the curb. There have been a couple times that I've reported it to the shipper, for whatever statistics they have, but I don't think anything would ever come of that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jun 2019, 15:18

It's a variable thing by location, from what I've read and seen angry people record and post to YouTube. In some places, it's the USPS drivers who pull those antics, sometimes it's UPS or FedEx.

They usually do it more for private homes than businesses, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2019, 15:57

I remember people posting videos of the FedEx truck standing in front of their house for a few minutes and then moving on without anyone getting out because it was 10O out and the driver didn't want to get out of his warm truck.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT