Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2019, 14:51

Huh. Last night, while Jeff was at work, I sent him a description of the problem, and a photo of my two monitors. He showed the photo to a colleague who said he'd had the exact same issue with one of the new curved monitors they got there (my own monitor is NOT a curve): he was on a webpage, typed something into the address bar, started scrolling through the drop-down options, the monitor went black and when it resumed imaging it showed only a grainy freeze-frame of the moment it went dark. In both cases -- him and me -- completely powering the computer off and on again seems to have resolved the problem -- but I remain a bit leery.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Apr 2019, 14:30

That sounds more like a video card issue than a monitor one, particularly if you power off the monitor and then back on again and it shows the freeze frame.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Apr 2019, 17:36

On nominations to admin positions by the sitting Governor:
James McDermott was turned down for a term on the Alaska Public Offices Commission; he is a registered Libertarian, and under state law, his particular seat is reserved for a Democrat. (Seats on the commission are based on the results of the previous general election.)
Also a professed "ghost hunter" was denied a seat, and he WASN'T the Libertarian for once.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Apr 2019, 17:44

Kwix wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 17:36
On nominations to admin positions by the sitting Governor:
James McDermott was turned down for a term on the Alaska Public Offices Commission; he is a registered Libertarian, and under state law, his particular seat is reserved for a Democrat. (Seats on the commission are based on the results of the previous general election.)
Also a professed "ghost hunter" was denied a seat, and he WASN'T the Libertarian for once.
I thought Libertarians were snark hunters.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Apr 2019, 19:43

Jennifer wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 22:56
Motherfucker shit fuck goddammit something is wrong with either my new computer, or its connection to the "main" monitor: I was on the computer, had Firefox open on the middle monitor and a document on the right monitor. Typed the letter "g" into the browser bar (you guys will NEVER EVER guess what site I was trying to visit!), got the drop-down list of recent web addresses containing that letter ... suddenly that monitor goes black. Try moving cursor from right monitor to center one, saw some weird colored pixels against black background. Restarted computer, and when PIN request came up in right monitor, middle monitor showed what looked like a grainy pixelated screenshot of Firefox when things went hinky -- there's my Facebook feed, "g" in the browser bar, drop-down window of addresses below it, etc., and that middle monitor is now either black, or frozen with that grainy "screenshot." Tried unplugging and replugging that monitor -- both the power cord AND the cord connecting it to the computer -- once I plugged it back in, the same grainy-pixels screenshot came up. It now alternates, seemingly at random, between that grainy screenshot, a pitch-black monitor, or pitch black with the "no signal" sign.

I'm typing this on my ancient obsolete netbook. I WANT to go back to the other computer and continue working on that document -- I can use the right monitor if I have to -- but I dunno if the computer itself is trustworthy right now.
Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 14:51
Huh. Last night, while Jeff was at work, I sent him a description of the problem, and a photo of my two monitors. He showed the photo to a colleague who said he'd had the exact same issue with one of the new curved monitors they got there (my own monitor is NOT a curve): he was on a webpage, typed something into the address bar, started scrolling through the drop-down options, the monitor went black and when it resumed imaging it showed only a grainy freeze-frame of the moment it went dark. In both cases -- him and me -- completely powering the computer off and on again seems to have resolved the problem -- but I remain a bit leery.
Had a similar, but not identical, problem today: middle monitor suddenly went black, but this time it stayed black -- no grainy screenshots or "No signal" messages. Jeff came in and fiddled with it, and seemed to get it working except for one oddity: the cursor was visible on the middle monitor, but disappeared on the right monitor. He did some research and discovered a temporary fix -- changing settings so the cursor has the "trails" effect -- but the cursor "stutters" or "stumbles" a bit when I moved the mouse. I mentioned the video-card possibility Kwix brought up, and he said it might be that, but might also be the "adapter." Which IIRC he switched from one monitor to the other. He's at work now, so of course cna't do anything about it at the moment.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Apr 2019, 15:14

Having just returned from the grocery where my options were salted caramel ice cream and organic salted caramel ice cream, I just want to make a public announcement to food producers everywhere that contrary to your apparent opinion, regular unsalted caramel is not, in fact, illegal.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Apr 2019, 15:58

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:14
Having just returned from the grocery where my options were salted caramel ice cream and organic salted caramel ice cream, I just want to make a public announcement to food producers everywhere that contrary to your apparent opinion, regular unsalted caramel is not, in fact, illegal.
No, but it is inferior.
Now about this "organic" salt...
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Apr 2019, 02:29

Warren wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:58
dead_elvis wrote:
No, but it is inferior.
It probably means that the ice cream is organic, whatever that means. Rest assured though that the salt is GMO-free.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Apr 2019, 08:49

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 02:29
Warren wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:58
dead_elvis wrote:
No, but it is inferior.
It probably means that the ice cream is organic, whatever that means. Rest assured though that the salt is GMO-free.
Chemical-free, too.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Apr 2019, 11:37

I think the actual concern about salt should be the safety record of the salt mine.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Apr 2019, 14:10

Dangerman wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 11:37
I think the actual concern about salt should be the safety record of the salt mine.
Conflict and child labor free salt. I sense a market opportunity for Fair Trade Salt.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Apr 2019, 18:33

tr0g wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:10
Dangerman wrote:
Conflict and child labor free salt. I sense a market opportunity for Fair Trade Salt.
I only want salt mined with child labor.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Apr 2019, 20:31

Andrew wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 18:33
tr0g wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
I only want salt mined from child tears.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Apr 2019, 02:13

Warren wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 20:31
Andrew wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 18:33
tr0g wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
I only want salt mined from child tears.
Yes, but only free range child tears so they don't have that metallic cage taste.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 May 2019, 19:15

[Blush] The mystery of my monitor has been solved, and the problem resolved: under the desk where my main computer setup is, there's a tangled jumble of computer cords and power cords. There is also a little footstool so my feet don't dangle when I'm sitting at the desk. Turns out one of the footstool's narrow metal legs would occasionally snag in a single cord, just enough to temporarily cut off, say, the power to the main monitor before turning it back on. This apparently was exacerbated by the discovery that the electrical outlet directly under the desk is a bit "loose."

I discovered this the night I accidentally powered down EVERYTHING on the desk, including the lamp. So Jeff used a cardboard keyboard box, some cable ties and another extension cord/surge protector (to access a different electrical outlet) to set up a firm barrier between the cords, and the legs of the footstool.

EDIT: typos and such
Last edited by Jennifer on 05 May 2019, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 May 2019, 03:51

Jennifer wrote:
04 May 2019, 19:15
[Blush] The mystery of my monitor has been solved, and the problem resolved
Hey, it's the cheapest possible fix. :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 May 2019, 00:52

Cleaning up my language when commenting on people's facebook posts out of respect for their families, who are not known to me.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 May 2019, 12:58

Increasingly difficult to avoid GOT spoilers online.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 May 2019, 13:33

Jasper wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:58
*hmph*

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 14:37

Jasper wrote:
You just aren't fast enough with the unfriend/unfollow buttons.

mrs lunch got spoiled on several bits from last night's ep because some friend posted stuff from the Thai leak. I was like, "And that person is your friend why?"

I'm not a psycho about spoilers or anything, but I'm one of those who - if I've already decided to see a movie - I will fast forward commercials and don't really want to see trailers beyond the teaser. I prefer to avoid them. It's just better to have the story unfold in real time. If something's been out a few weeks, yeah talk about it. If something's been leaked early, maybe keep that to a closed fan group and not be an asshole. And science has known for more than a week that a lot of people prefer not to get spoiled, so you KNOW you're just being a prick.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 May 2019, 15:18

My official policy of spoiling intentionally anything I'm not super married to works very well for me. It stops me from watching something I dislike just to get closure, which is basically my relationship to GoT and all things Thanos.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 15:39

Yeah I'm okay not getting closure on some stuff. Like, I started watching Supernatural with the then-snackstealer, and actually kinda got into it, with some interesting takes on supernatural/horror TV and some genuine humor and moderately compelling storylines. Then I got to the point where I couldn't watch it anymore, and got to the set of episodes leading up to the boss fight for season whatever, and just never came back to it. No idea what happens to what's-her-face two episodes later, or literally anything about the subsequent four or five seasons.

Am kinda curious to find out if anyone is willing to give Misha Collins a forever-home after the series is cancelled.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 May 2019, 16:40

Jasper wrote:
Really fascinating to me how the entire internet (and especially Twitter) have been fanatic about not spoiling Endgame, and at the same time giving an unwarned play-by-play of every GoT episode as it happens.

I suspect this is like 2/3 the difference between TV and film, and 1/3 the fact that people actually liked Endgame.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 May 2019, 16:48

If it weren't for the spoilers, I would have no idea what is going on in GoT. (I don't watch, but somehow I've developed a liking for a few characters.)

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 May 2019, 17:06

I generally prefer to be spoiled on all shows, at least for the general shape of what happens (who lives, who dies, who succeeds, who fails). Maybe not so much on some racing, as that'll cause me to not watch a recording if a person I don't like won. But then I probably wouldn't have liked it that much anyway.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."