Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2019, 14:51

Huh. Last night, while Jeff was at work, I sent him a description of the problem, and a photo of my two monitors. He showed the photo to a colleague who said he'd had the exact same issue with one of the new curved monitors they got there (my own monitor is NOT a curve): he was on a webpage, typed something into the address bar, started scrolling through the drop-down options, the monitor went black and when it resumed imaging it showed only a grainy freeze-frame of the moment it went dark. In both cases -- him and me -- completely powering the computer off and on again seems to have resolved the problem -- but I remain a bit leery.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Apr 2019, 14:30

That sounds more like a video card issue than a monitor one, particularly if you power off the monitor and then back on again and it shows the freeze frame.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Apr 2019, 17:36

On nominations to admin positions by the sitting Governor:
James McDermott was turned down for a term on the Alaska Public Offices Commission; he is a registered Libertarian, and under state law, his particular seat is reserved for a Democrat. (Seats on the commission are based on the results of the previous general election.)
Also a professed "ghost hunter" was denied a seat, and he WASN'T the Libertarian for once.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Apr 2019, 17:44

Kwix wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 17:36
On nominations to admin positions by the sitting Governor:
James McDermott was turned down for a term on the Alaska Public Offices Commission; he is a registered Libertarian, and under state law, his particular seat is reserved for a Democrat. (Seats on the commission are based on the results of the previous general election.)
Also a professed "ghost hunter" was denied a seat, and he WASN'T the Libertarian for once.
I thought Libertarians were snark hunters.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Apr 2019, 19:43

Jennifer wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 22:56
Motherfucker shit fuck goddammit something is wrong with either my new computer, or its connection to the "main" monitor: I was on the computer, had Firefox open on the middle monitor and a document on the right monitor. Typed the letter "g" into the browser bar (you guys will NEVER EVER guess what site I was trying to visit!), got the drop-down list of recent web addresses containing that letter ... suddenly that monitor goes black. Try moving cursor from right monitor to center one, saw some weird colored pixels against black background. Restarted computer, and when PIN request came up in right monitor, middle monitor showed what looked like a grainy pixelated screenshot of Firefox when things went hinky -- there's my Facebook feed, "g" in the browser bar, drop-down window of addresses below it, etc., and that middle monitor is now either black, or frozen with that grainy "screenshot." Tried unplugging and replugging that monitor -- both the power cord AND the cord connecting it to the computer -- once I plugged it back in, the same grainy-pixels screenshot came up. It now alternates, seemingly at random, between that grainy screenshot, a pitch-black monitor, or pitch black with the "no signal" sign.

I'm typing this on my ancient obsolete netbook. I WANT to go back to the other computer and continue working on that document -- I can use the right monitor if I have to -- but I dunno if the computer itself is trustworthy right now.
Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 14:51
Huh. Last night, while Jeff was at work, I sent him a description of the problem, and a photo of my two monitors. He showed the photo to a colleague who said he'd had the exact same issue with one of the new curved monitors they got there (my own monitor is NOT a curve): he was on a webpage, typed something into the address bar, started scrolling through the drop-down options, the monitor went black and when it resumed imaging it showed only a grainy freeze-frame of the moment it went dark. In both cases -- him and me -- completely powering the computer off and on again seems to have resolved the problem -- but I remain a bit leery.
Had a similar, but not identical, problem today: middle monitor suddenly went black, but this time it stayed black -- no grainy screenshots or "No signal" messages. Jeff came in and fiddled with it, and seemed to get it working except for one oddity: the cursor was visible on the middle monitor, but disappeared on the right monitor. He did some research and discovered a temporary fix -- changing settings so the cursor has the "trails" effect -- but the cursor "stutters" or "stumbles" a bit when I moved the mouse. I mentioned the video-card possibility Kwix brought up, and he said it might be that, but might also be the "adapter." Which IIRC he switched from one monitor to the other. He's at work now, so of course cna't do anything about it at the moment.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b