Petty annoyances

Warren

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 02 Apr 2019, 20:43

Highway wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 20:30
That's reason 1 why everyone should use a password manager. Reason 2 is because then the use of 20-character passwords (or even usernames where allowed) becomes no problem whatsoever.
I spent a weekend trying to set one up last year and eventually said "fuckit".
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Apr 2019, 23:24

Warren wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 20:43
Highway wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 20:30
That's reason 1 why everyone should use a password manager. Reason 2 is because then the use of 20-character passwords (or even usernames where allowed) becomes no problem whatsoever.
I spent a weekend trying to set one up last year and eventually said "fuckit".
Too weak. Try "fUck!2h3LLz"

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Apr 2019, 08:25

So, question: are passwords generated/stored on a password manager site only saved there? Not on you machine/device at all?

It seems counter-intuitive to me that storing passwords on a 3rd party site is any safer than creating your own fairly long password, and variations thereof, and just remembering it somehow, even it it's storing a text document online somewhere with hints.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Apr 2019, 10:01

It depends on the password manager. LastPass stores them online in the company's storage. 1Password stores them in a local file that is synced through Dropbox (so it's also stored in your Dropbox store). I prefer 1Password's model, where you unlock the "vault" with your master password, and it's stored on your storage, but encrypted.

And there are other benefits. One is that you don't need to type in passwords, so if the computer is keylogged, then you're not exposing them that way. Another is that passwords aren't in any way similar, and you don't need to worry about remembering them. Also it's a lot easier to paste in a password on a mobile device than to type with special characters.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Apr 2019, 11:37

Keepass stores them in a file that you keep on your local computer (and can share with other computers, obviously). I don't think it syncs with anything. If I need an updated version of our passwords I have to chase David to send me the latest file.

I totally see the wisdom of it all but there are JUST enough times when I'm out and about without access to a password manager, or where I have to input a password using a video game controller, that I'm just like "fuck it, I will take the risk and have short shitty passwords."
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Apr 2019, 12:37

Hmm. Will investigate further.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Apr 2019, 12:51

Ellie wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 11:37
Keepass stores them in a file that you keep on your local computer (and can share with other computers, obviously). I don't think it syncs with anything. If I need an updated version of our passwords I have to chase David to send me the latest file.

I totally see the wisdom of it all but there are JUST enough times when I'm out and about without access to a password manager, or where I have to input a password using a video game controller, that I'm just like "fuck it, I will take the risk and have short shitty passwords."
The video game controller thing is actually semi-common for me. I hadn't even thought of that as a reason not to use a password manager but yeah. For real.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Apr 2019, 14:45

Jasper wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 08:25
It seems counter-intuitive to me that storing passwords on a 3rd party site is any safer than creating your own fairly long password, and variations thereof, and just remembering it somehow, even it it's storing a text document online somewhere with hints.
Same here. Though my passwords are stored old-school: on paper scrawled with ink marks. And written in "code" -- even if you have that paper, it's useless if you don't know the specific coding system I use.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Apr 2019, 15:05

Another annoyance of new computers: having to type out ENTIRE WEB ADDRESSES! Like, to visit this site, instead of typing a "g" and seeing this address come up in the browser bar, I had to press THIRTEEN KEYS to do it! 'Tis madness, I tell you, madness. And that's not even getting into the whole "Goddammit, was this one a dot-com or a dot-net or a dot-org or...."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Apr 2019, 15:41

Jennifer wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 14:45
Jasper wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 08:25
Same here. Though my passwords are stored old-school: on paper scrawled with ink marks. And written in "code" -- even if you have that paper, it's useless if you don't know the specific coding system I use.
Yep.

Even if the highly improbable happens and a burglar makes off with my whole PC and the ancient notepad full of cryptic hints like "S1dn3" for my bank password, I'm not really worried.

I'd be more upset all all my lost game saves!

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2019, 15:44

I have a password protected notepad app on my phone.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Apr 2019, 19:54

You can also just store passwords on a spreadsheet somewhere on your machine.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Apr 2019, 20:23

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 19:54
You can also just store passwords on a spreadsheet somewhere on your machine.
This is me, except it's on a thumb drive that I mostly don't leave attached.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Apr 2019, 21:10

But if your passwords are stored on your device, then anyone who manages to hack into it gets EVERYTHING. I definitely avoid putting all security eggs in one basket -- which is also why I'm very good about NOT sharing passwords across platforms -- if you get the password to my email it will ONLY get you into my email, nothing else.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Apr 2019, 21:34

Jennifer wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 21:10
But if your passwords are stored on your device, then anyone who manages to hack into it gets EVERYTHING. I definitely avoid putting all security eggs in one basket -- which is also why I'm very good about NOT sharing passwords across platforms -- if you get the password to my email it will ONLY get you into my email, nothing else.
There is that, but decent encryption means that about the only way anyone's getting into it is a keylogger or the like, which will then happily get all your other passwords anyway, given enough time.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Apr 2019, 21:36

Jennifer wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 21:10
Right, but the chances of someone taking the time to hack into your device and find the file with your passwords is pretty miniscule because the payoff is pretty paltry unless you're wealthy or famous. Lastpass etc, on the other hand has a much bigger payoff, and will inevitably be hacked and millions of subscriber passwords will be scattered to the winds of the internet.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Apr 2019, 01:31

I don't know what you folks are keeping on your computers that's so sensitive, but I can't find half the unprotected stuff I know is here someplace.

Oh, and get the fuck off my lawn.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Apr 2019, 09:21

Also passwords are a distant third place behind auto updating all security patches and enabling multi factor on every possible thing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Apr 2019, 10:22

JasonL wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 09:21
Also passwords are a distant third place behind auto updating all security patches and enabling multi factor on every possible thing.
This is my religion.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 05 Apr 2019, 14:47

I’ve just been prescribed a statin. Any advice?
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2019, 14:57

Solitudinarian wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 14:47
I was on 40mg/day for several years. They gave me the gout. I went off them and never had another gout flare. I do interrupted fasting instead (It's not working for my triglycerides which are off the chart). I need to get some exercise into my lifestyle.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 05 Apr 2019, 15:41

Warren wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 14:57
Solitudinarian wrote:
I was on 40mg/day for several years. They gave me the gout. I went off them and never had another gout flare. I do interrupted fasting instead (It's not working for my triglycerides which are off the chart). I need to get some exercise into my lifestyle.
They’ve put me on 20mg, which I hope will be sufficient. But gout? Christ up a tree, that sounds horrible. I would like to hear more about your experience with statins, if you don’t mind.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Apr 2019, 17:47

Solitudinarian wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 15:41
Warren wrote:
Solitudinarian wrote:
They’ve put me on 20mg, which I hope will be sufficient. But gout? Christ up a tree, that sounds horrible. I would like to hear more about your experience with statins, if you don’t mind.
I've been taking 80mg/day atorvastatin for over a decade and there have been no discernible negative side effects. In general, I think statins are great, which is not to say they work as well for everyone as they apparently do for me.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2019, 20:23

Solitudinarian wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 15:41
Warren wrote:
Solitudinarian wrote:
I was on statins since my 30's. Moving meant changing doctors and insurance, so I don't remember which ones I was taking in what years, but I was on Simvastatin for several years. I started suffering from gout attacks in 08 I think. I went to a foot clinic and I'd like to strangle the incompetent boobs there. Suffered gout attacks for like three years before I got it diagnosed by a proper podiatrist. At that point I was on Allopurinol, and all but eliminated red meat and alcohol from my diet (and consequently lost the will to live). My gout flares became less frequent and less intense (though perhaps lasting longer), but after two years I was still having them. I went looking outside the box for answers. There is a whole community of anti-statinists. It's kind of the inverse of fad holistic remedies. Instead of making claims that [snake oil] can cure everything from psoriasis to psychosis, they claim statins cause all manner of disease.

I went off my statins. After a month or so I stated adding red meat and alcohol to my diet gradually until I got it back up to my preferred level (red meat 2-3 times a week and one or two drinks 5 days a week). I eat as little as I can will myself to two consecutive days a week to try and keep my cholesterol under control. It runs a little higher than "normal" but not scarily so. If I could get regular exercise I'd be in much better shape, but my aging body keeps thwarting me. I'm still on the Allopurinol, as my uric acid levels got above 8 umptisquats/fractoliters when I went off it.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Apr 2019, 22:56

Motherfucker shit fuck goddammit something is wrong with either my new computer, or its connection to the "main" monitor: I was on the computer, had Firefox open on the middle monitor and a document on the right monitor. Typed the letter "g" into the browser bar (you guys will NEVER EVER guess what site I was trying to visit!), got the drop-down list of recent web addresses containing that letter ... suddenly that monitor goes black. Try moving cursor from right monitor to center one, saw some weird colored pixels against black background. Restarted computer, and when PIN request came up in right monitor, middle monitor showed what looked like a grainy pixelated screenshot of Firefox when things went hinky -- there's my Facebook feed, "g" in the browser bar, drop-down window of addresses below it, etc., and that middle monitor is now either black, or frozen with that grainy "screenshot." Tried unplugging and replugging that monitor -- both the power cord AND the cord connecting it to the computer -- once I plugged it back in, the same grainy-pixels screenshot came up. It now alternates, seemingly at random, between that grainy screenshot, a pitch-black monitor, or pitch black with the "no signal" sign.

I'm typing this on my ancient obsolete netbook. I WANT to go back to the other computer and continue working on that document -- I can use the right monitor if I have to -- but I dunno if the computer itself is trustworthy right now.