Petty annoyances

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23788
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2019, 00:08

Jadagul wrote:
dhex wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 19:20
nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:00
Most people on the Strip are still drunk instead of high because you have to leave the Strip to get weed, and fucking everyone here likes to drink.

If you didn't have to leave the Strip to get weed, I would not be complaining. Well, I might still be. But I wouldn't still be actually freaking out on escalators.
Vegas is legit the worst city I've ever been in.
Vegas is super fun. Lots of people everywhere. Tons of energy. Bright lights. Lots of things happening. None of them trying to talk to me.
It’s great if you can ignore context.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7016
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jadagul » 29 Mar 2019, 00:32

JasonL wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 00:08
Jadagul wrote:
dhex wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 19:20
nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:00
Most people on the Strip are still drunk instead of high because you have to leave the Strip to get weed, and fucking everyone here likes to drink.

If you didn't have to leave the Strip to get weed, I would not be complaining. Well, I might still be. But I wouldn't still be actually freaking out on escalators.
Vegas is legit the worst city I've ever been in.
Vegas is super fun. Lots of people everywhere. Tons of energy. Bright lights. Lots of things happening. None of them trying to talk to me.
It’s great if you can ignore context.
I'm very good at ignoring context. I basically don't notice things I'm not actively paying attention to.

Which context are you talking about?

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2019, 01:03

Yeah that's a very un-lunchy place. I have not been and am trying to keep it that way. Dave and Busters is close enough.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13324
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Mar 2019, 05:00

Aresen wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 16:01
Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 15:48
This got me thinking of Victor Hugo's famous telegram exchange ("?", With the reply, "!"). And now, I wonder how much of the Basic English vocabulary is available in emojis...
It's taken 3000 years, but we're back to communicating in glyphs*.

*secondary petty annoyance, when the spell-check doesn't recognize the plural a perfectly good word like glyph.
In typography, any character is a glyph, so yeah. :)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23788
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2019, 10:11

Jadagul wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 00:32
JasonL wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 00:08
Jadagul wrote:
dhex wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 19:20
nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:00
Most people on the Strip are still drunk instead of high because you have to leave the Strip to get weed, and fucking everyone here likes to drink.

If you didn't have to leave the Strip to get weed, I would not be complaining. Well, I might still be. But I wouldn't still be actually freaking out on escalators.
Vegas is legit the worst city I've ever been in.
Vegas is super fun. Lots of people everywhere. Tons of energy. Bright lights. Lots of things happening. None of them trying to talk to me.
It’s great if you can ignore context.
I'm very good at ignoring context. I basically don't notice things I'm not actively paying attention to.

Which context are you talking about?
The emptiness of gambling type hope as a way of life, the differences between those who visit and can afford to blow off steam throw money around and those who live there after those people leave. The on the strip fantasy / off the strip reality of the place. I think desperation is the right word. In the same way there's a desperation to LA centered around people wanting to be stars and Miami for people creating instagram fantasies. The gambling flavor of that same vibe is a bit more tragic in my view.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15588
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 29 Mar 2019, 11:08

Eric the .5b wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 05:00
Aresen wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 16:01
Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 15:48
This got me thinking of Victor Hugo's famous telegram exchange ("?", With the reply, "!"). And now, I wonder how much of the Basic English vocabulary is available in emojis...
It's taken 3000 years, but we're back to communicating in glyphs*.

*secondary petty annoyance, when the spell-check doesn't recognize the plural a perfectly good word like glyph.
In typography, any character is a glyph, so yeah. :)
*throws clay tablet at Eric*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2019, 12:00

Aresen wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 05:00
Aresen wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 16:01
Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 15:48
This got me thinking of Victor Hugo's famous telegram exchange ("?", With the reply, "!"). And now, I wonder how much of the Basic English vocabulary is available in emojis...
It's taken 3000 years, but we're back to communicating in glyphs*.

*secondary petty annoyance, when the spell-check doesn't recognize the plural a perfectly good word like glyph.
In typography, any character is a glyph, so yeah. :)
*throws clay tablet at Eric*
*Throws Anasazi sandstone cliff at Aresen.*
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13871
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kolohe » 29 Mar 2019, 13:27

I'm sort of on Team Jadagul?(!) Or at least I was in my younger days. I've really stopped liking crowds over the past few years, to the point where it sometimes provokes an internal reaction (which then sometimes manifests)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3123
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jasper » 29 Mar 2019, 13:46

Kolohe wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 13:27
I'm sort of on Team Jadagul?(!) Or at least I was in my younger days. I've really stopped liking crowds over the past few years, to the point where it sometimes provokes an internal reaction (which then sometimes manifests)
Drawn like moths, we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

:twisted:
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 23925
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 17:22

JasonL wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 10:11
Jadagul wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 00:32
JasonL wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 00:08
Jadagul wrote:
dhex wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 19:20
nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:00
Most people on the Strip are still drunk instead of high because you have to leave the Strip to get weed, and fucking everyone here likes to drink.

If you didn't have to leave the Strip to get weed, I would not be complaining. Well, I might still be. But I wouldn't still be actually freaking out on escalators.
Vegas is legit the worst city I've ever been in.
Vegas is super fun. Lots of people everywhere. Tons of energy. Bright lights. Lots of things happening. None of them trying to talk to me.
It’s great if you can ignore context.
I'm very good at ignoring context. I basically don't notice things I'm not actively paying attention to.

Which context are you talking about?
The emptiness of gambling type hope as a way of life, the differences between those who visit and can afford to blow off steam throw money around and those who live there after those people leave. The on the strip fantasy / off the strip reality of the place. I think desperation is the right word. In the same way there's a desperation to LA centered around people wanting to be stars and Miami for people creating instagram fantasies. The gambling flavor of that same vibe is a bit more tragic in my view.
I can't speak to Miami or LA's vibe, and have never been to Vegas (a brief daylight drive through the city during a childhood road trip doesn't count, IMO), but I get what you're saying; there was a milder version of that to be felt if you'd go people-watching or to a concert at one of Connecticut's Indian casinos. Many years ago, Jeff went to Vegas for several days to receive an "Employee of the Year" award from his company (I would've gone with him but IIRC this was literally only my first or second month of my new teaching job, so of course I wouldn't dream of asking for a week off), and when he came back and regaled me with stories of all the things he saw and did there which he thought I'd like too, the one thing he mentioned I found horrifying rather than cool was the many many MANY pawn shops with the many many MANY amazing-yet-cheap things sold within ... yeah, I was already a firmly established thrift store/flea market/secondhand-stuff shopper by then, but "I got an amazing bargain on this cool thing whose previous owner plain didn't want it anymore" is quite different from "I got an amazing bargain on this cool thing whose owner had to hock it out of desperation." [Shudder]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15588
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 29 Mar 2019, 17:30

I love Vegas for it's sheer Over-the-Top Glitz. It's rowdy and spectacularly gaudy. I enjoy the shows and the restaurants. I'm not into gambling, so that's nothing to me.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 23925
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 19:14

Aresen wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 17:30
I love Vegas for it's sheer Over-the-Top Glitz. It's rowdy and spectacularly gaudy. I enjoy the shows and the restaurants. I'm not into gambling, so that's nothing to me.
Same for me (or would be if I went there; 'twas the case on a far smaller scale when I went to the casinos in Connecticut, or Atlantic City before the decline got REALLY bad).

There was one exception to my no-gambling rule (excluding gambling with the complimentary chips every Atlantic City hotel gave its guests): my first couple months in my first Connecticut apartment, before I'd had time to make any local friends yet, a few times I'd visit the nearby casino with a $10 roll of quarters plus some dollar bills for waitress-tips, and play one of the 25-cent draw poker machines. Those were the type where, if you actually played to win, you were fairly certain to win at least one hand out of every three or four (even if all you "won" was your original quarter back), so if you walk in with 40 quarters you're certain to be able to play far more than 40 hands of the game. I'd go there with the attitude "I'll play until I'm out of quarters, which will keep me occupied at least an hour or so, and meanwhile waitresses will bring me free drinks although I'll actually pay a dollar apiece as a tip, and when THAT gets old I can walk around and people-watch." Figure 13 or 14 dollars, tops, to kill a few hours when I had too many on my hands.

That was the casino where one night, I was pleasantly surprised to get some silver pre-1965 quarters landing in my winnings tray; of course as soon as I saw the first coin with no copper stripe on the rim I put it in my jeans pocket away from the quarters in play. IIRC, I walked out of there with seven or eight silver quarters (and I might even have broken my ironclad rule against buying more quarters while at the casino, except the stream of silver seemed to have dried up -- after something like "one silver quarter every five or six," I stopped seeing any silver after more than a dozen wins).

But, for all that I was glad to get the silver that night, it also made me kind of sad, to realize the most likely explanation was, sometime before I'd gone to that machine that day, someone who'd found a bunch of strange-looking quarters (maybe in a jelly jar in Grandma's closet or something), didn't know the value of what he had, and put them all into a casino gambling machine.

The last time Jeff and I went to that casino was to see a concert in 2010 or so, and I brought another $10 quarter roll ... only to find out they'd replaced ALL coin-operated machines with electronic-payment ones. So I didn't play; without the small possibility of maybe winning an actual silver quarter tossed into the mix, I didn't want to play even for fun.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9536
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2019, 19:40

Aresen wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 17:30
I love Vegas for it's sheer Over-the-Top Glitz. It's rowdy and spectacularly gaudy. I enjoy the shows and the restaurants. I'm not into gambling, so that's nothing to me.
Yeah, I actually dig the Adult Disney thing, and I don't mind "crowds" per se, but I get super annoyed when people are just standing around blocking an entire thoroughfare. I don't even mind that much if I have to weave a bit, that's fine, I'm a fast walker, but don't be blocking people. It's the overall un-self-awareness that bugs me.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23788
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2019, 21:37

It’s fun for people of means who can ignore certain things. I’ve had fun there.

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1144
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Mar 2019, 13:42

My favorite part of Vegas (or Reno) is ridiculously cheap steak and eggs. The rest, meh. I *suppose* you could enjoy it without unhealthy levels of day drinking but I don't see how.

My only desire to go back is that I'd like to see Penn and Teller.

My wife took her teenage niece to Cirque du Soleil (the niece was into doing that sort of aerobatic dancing or whatever it's called) and afterwards the niece proclaimed that she wanted to move to Las Vegas to be a dancer (:shocked and horrified face:) Phew, luckily that was a *very* short phase.

I managed to leave with prolly $150 in blackjack winnings over a few days, but upon further study when I got back I realized what I thought was playing well was just random dumb luck, and that actually knowing what I was doing would have required exponentially more brainpower and practice. I think that's a certain part of what Vegas is selling- when luck is going your way, as it sometimes will, you get to feel smarter than you actually are for a short while while getting drunk on free drinks.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13871
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kolohe » 30 Mar 2019, 20:10

Vegas is people trying for olympic speeds records compared the brownian motion associated with DC's Cherry Blossom season
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26088
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 31 Mar 2019, 10:39

Kolohe wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 20:10
Vegas is people trying for olympic speeds records compared the brownian motion associated with DC's Cherry Blossom season
Which is why I don't think pot/booze makes a difference. The pedestrian traffic consists largely of tourists already where they want to be and they want to look at it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1633
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kwix » 01 Apr 2019, 19:38

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 13:42
My only desire to go back is that I'd like to see Penn and Teller.
Worth it.

My mother lives in Vegas. I visit a few times a year and I'm not a gambler or a people person so I might have a slightly different perspective than the average tourist. I like the city. Not the strip mind you, though old (and revitalized) Fremont has its charms. Is it slightly depressing that a city of 4 million is based on nothing more than the service industries? Yeah, somewhat but it's no different than Orlando or any place on the Redneck Riviera.

Besides, it's the best driving city (traffic flow through, etc.) in the country bar none. I can get from the top end by Centennial to the airport in about 40 minutes and via multiple routes.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18462
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Apr 2019, 01:20

Vegas is the man-made equivalent of the Grand Canyon. Pictures don't do it justice; you have to see it in person to grasp its awesomeness, but there's no real reason to stay after the awe passes.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23788
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 02 Apr 2019, 06:37

I find casinos pretty depressing. As depressing as strip clubs for similar reasons. The best versions are kinda fun with people having fun, but the median is dark and desperate.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26088
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 02 Apr 2019, 08:20

JasonL wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 06:37
I find casinos pretty depressing. As depressing as strip clubs for similar reasons. The best versions are kinda fun with people having fun, but the median is dark and desperate.
Casinos are worse. After a bad night in a strip club, you can sleep it off. The next day maybe you're hung over, and maybe your wallet is empty. After a bad night at a casino, you could wake up with long term problems.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24254
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Mo » 02 Apr 2019, 08:51

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 06:37
I find casinos pretty depressing. As depressing as strip clubs for similar reasons. The best versions are kinda fun with people having fun, but the median is dark and desperate.
Casinos are worse. After a bad night in a strip club, you can sleep it off. The next day maybe you're hung over, and maybe your wallet is empty. After a bad night at a casino, you could wake up with long term problems.
You can’t get chlamydia at a casino.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3015
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Number 6 » 02 Apr 2019, 13:10

Mo wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 08:51
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 06:37
I find casinos pretty depressing. As depressing as strip clubs for similar reasons. The best versions are kinda fun with people having fun, but the median is dark and desperate.
Casinos are worse. After a bad night in a strip club, you can sleep it off. The next day maybe you're hung over, and maybe your wallet is empty. After a bad night at a casino, you could wake up with long term problems.
You can’t get chlamydia at a casino.
Challenge accepted.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 23925
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 02 Apr 2019, 20:19

First-world problems: when you replace your obsolete old computer with a shiny new one and have to input the passwords on EVERY such protected site you frequent.

[sings] ♪ ♫ A few more keystrokes should end this weary chore,
Goddammit! Another websi-i-i-ite;
A few more keystrokes should end this dreadful bore
Then, my old Kentucky home, good ni-i-i-ight! ♫ ♪ [/sings]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13197
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Highway » 02 Apr 2019, 20:30

That's reason 1 why everyone should use a password manager. Reason 2 is because then the use of 20-character passwords (or even usernames where allowed) becomes no problem whatsoever.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests