Petty annoyances

JD

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD » 22 Mar 2019, 12:19

I have a few different investment accounts (for not-very-good historical reasons, mostly, just to forestall that question). Most of the companies have modern, usable websites. There is one that has an absolutely wretched website, and I am seriously considering moving my money away from them just so I never have to deal with their painfully shitty website.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2019, 20:43

JD wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 12:19
I have a few different investment accounts (for not-very-good historical reasons, mostly, just to forestall that question). Most of the companies have modern, usable websites. There is one that has an absolutely wretched website, and I am seriously considering moving my money away from them just so I never have to deal with their painfully shitty website.
I'd say that is an excellent reason.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Mar 2019, 15:25

Keyboard broke. Using really cheap spare. I want another IBM Type M but part of me also wants something wireless. *sigh*

And my "new" phone, a Galaxy S8+ is proving hard to get configured as I want it. I'm really hoping it's me and not a defective phone but, for example, when I transferred all my messages from the old phone, the messages received transferred but not my messages / replies to them. Also, I already don't like Bixby and am trying to avoid it, but that may prove impossible, too. Oh, and now I need a couple of spare USB - USB C cables. I'm also wondering if I want to install additional memory, as I try to avoid all cloud services as much as possible.

There are a few other annoyances already today, but I've whined enough for one comment.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Mar 2019, 13:35

Got caught in the under withholding thing when we filed this year. We are at Married - 0 exemptions in our house. So, they adjusted the level of standardized M-0 withholding down but didn't change the minumum withheld requirements. Thanks, Trump, you ass.

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Mar 2019, 13:43

JasonL wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 13:35
Got caught in the under withholding thing when we filed this year. We are at Married - 0 exemptions in our house. So, they adjusted the level of standardized M-0 withholding down but didn't change the minumum withheld requirements. Thanks, Trump, you ass.
This is hilarious (I mean, except for the annoyance). Sorry this happened to you but actual lol.

(If I wasn’t positive my withholding was too high bc we got married, I wouldn’t be laughing.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Mar 2019, 13:54

JasonL wrote:
One of my high finance type friends believes that the underwitholding thing may sufficiently spook consumer confidence to tip a slowdown. He actually sees it as a bigger potential cause of a short recession than the trade stuff.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Mar 2019, 14:09

Like just do one or the other. I don't care if withholding is lower and I owe more, that's fine. Just don't come back and tell me that the amount your table withholds with zero reductions in the base table rate for any circumstances is inadequate to handle the minimum withheld amounts and I Did Something Wrong. The only levers I can pull here are to change filing status to Single for both of us or to calculate on my own and designate a specific additional dollar amount to hit your magic minimum. ARGH.

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Mar 2019, 16:49

That's pretty much complete bullshit, if your only income sources are ones that have withholding.

For years I've had the additional dollar amounts withheld because of non-tax-advantaged investments, which can have a good year or a bad year, and significantly change amount owed. We probably let the government hold a little too much in a normal year, but I just don't want to be in that sort of "Surprise!" situation.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2019, 21:02

Mo wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 13:54
JasonL wrote:
One of my high finance type friends believes that the underwitholding thing may sufficiently spook consumer confidence to tip a slowdown. He actually sees it as a bigger potential cause of a short recession than the trade stuff.
Do tell.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Mar 2019, 21:35

Warren wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:02
Mo wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Do tell.
He...just did, didn’t he?

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Mar 2019, 01:00

nicole wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:35
Warren wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:02
Mo wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Do tell.
He...just did, didn’t he?
I was hoping he could connect the dots for me. I'm not sure I see how underwitholding spooks consumer confidence. And especially look askance at any effect it may have as being bigger than the trade stuff.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2019, 02:10

People are going to be more freaked out by owing on their taxes than by the diffuse effects of the trade stuff.

JD

Post by JD » 28 Mar 2019, 10:11

This is specifically on the subway, for me, but it can happen a lot of places. Somebody seems like they want to get by, so you move out of the way to let them by...then they just stand right where you were standing.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2019, 10:34

JD wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:11
This is specifically on the subway, for me, but it can happen a lot of places. Somebody seems like they want to get by, so you move out of the way to let them by...then they just stand right where you were standing.
Dude I am in the slow walking Mecca of Las Vegas and let me tell you I have some complaints.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Mar 2019, 10:41

Vegas was night of the living dead pedestrian before legal weed.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2019, 11:00

Most people on the Strip are still drunk instead of high because you have to leave the Strip to get weed, and fucking everyone here likes to drink.

If you didn't have to leave the Strip to get weed, I would not be complaining. Well, I might still be. But I wouldn't still be actually freaking out on escalators.

JD

Post by JD » 28 Mar 2019, 11:43

People who respond to a text message or email with nothing but "?"
I don't know what the fuck "?" means. Use your words.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 28 Mar 2019, 11:55

I use it to mean "huh?", mostly in response to my wife's typo-laden texts.

Doing it with email does seem lazy though.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Mar 2019, 15:48

This got me thinking of Victor Hugo's famous telegram exchange ("?", With the reply, "!"). And now, I wonder how much of the Basic English vocabulary is available in emojis...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Mar 2019, 16:01

Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 15:48
This got me thinking of Victor Hugo's famous telegram exchange ("?", With the reply, "!"). And now, I wonder how much of the Basic English vocabulary is available in emojis...
It's taken 3000 years, but we're back to communicating in glyphs*.

*secondary petty annoyance, when the spell-check doesn't recognize the plural a perfectly good word like glyph.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Mar 2019, 16:48

I was so happy last night when I found a way to get chat programs to not render my typed emoticons into graphics.

The secret is to use alternate letters that are indistinguishable from the usual letters. So colon-p will render, but colon-rho will not.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Mar 2019, 19:20

nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:00
Most people on the Strip are still drunk instead of high because you have to leave the Strip to get weed, and fucking everyone here likes to drink.

If you didn't have to leave the Strip to get weed, I would not be complaining. Well, I might still be. But I wouldn't still be actually freaking out on escalators.
Vegas is legit the worst city I've ever been in.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Mar 2019, 19:58

It’s grim. It’s an even more desperate LA or Miami vibe.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2019, 20:25

The only good thing about Vegas is its proximity to the Sierra Nevadas, southern Utah, and some of the mountain ranges in Nevada (including Great Basin NP). Which is nowhere near enough to outweigh all the drawbacks.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Mar 2019, 23:11

dhex wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 19:20
nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:00

Vegas is legit the worst city I've ever been in.
Vegas is super fun. Lots of people everywhere. Tons of energy. Bright lights. Lots of things happening. None of them trying to talk to me.