Petty annoyances

Aresen

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 22 Feb 2019, 22:57

Kolohe wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 20:13
Arsen: Battle Angel.
? I am totally drawing a blank here. Could you break it down simply, as if you were talking to a Canadian?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Feb 2019, 23:24

There's a movie out soon (now?) where the only thing I know about it is that the title character has freaky big eyes
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Feb 2019, 23:40

Gotcha. google gave me the movie, but I didn't see the connection to my eye exam.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JD

Post by JD » 15 Mar 2019, 14:18

I swear that smoke detectors must have some kind of internal clock or maybe an electric eye that tells them when it's dark out, because the battery never dies at, say, 11 AM, or 4 in the afternoon. No, it always chooses about 2 AM to begin complaining.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2019, 14:23

Oh gawd I hate that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2019, 15:17

JD wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 14:18
I swear that smoke detectors must have some kind of internal clock or maybe an electric eye that tells them when it's dark out, because the battery never dies at, say, 11 AM, or 4 in the afternoon. No, it always chooses about 2 AM to begin complaining.
JasonL wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 14:23
Oh gawd I hate that.
NEW YEAR'S DAY* REMINDERS:
Change air filter
Change smoke alarm batteries

Your welcome.

*Dealer's choice on actual day, we like new year's because putting in new stuff goes with starting fresh and it's a sit around the house day here. Even if you could get another year out of that 9V it's well worth it to avoid the dreaded dead at 2AM.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 15 Mar 2019, 15:26

Warren wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 15:17
JD wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 14:18
JasonL wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 14:23
Oh gawd I hate that.
NEW YEAR'S DAY* REMINDERS:
Change air filter
Change smoke alarm batteries

Your welcome.

*Dealer's choice on actual day, we like new year's because putting in new stuff goes with starting fresh and it's a sit around the house day here. Even if you could get another year out of that 9V it's well worth it to avoid the dreaded dead at 2AM.
Petty annoyance: people like you :-P
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2019, 15:27

Too snarky? sry
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Mar 2019, 17:19

Warren wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 15:27
Too snarky? sry
No, I think he's just a pedant with regards to the your, you're, yore triad.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Mar 2019, 09:36

Also you're changing your air filter once yearly?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2019, 09:49

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 09:36
Also you're changing your air filter once yearly?
No no. It's just the first change of the year.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Mar 2019, 10:46

Stores that sell ONLY "Free Range Chicken"*

Oh, wonderful.
You gave it a good life.
Happy grubbing for grubs.
You sang 'kumbaya' to it.
Let it play.

Then you murdered it.

*(Of course, I have no way of knowing if it actually was 'free range.)

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2019, 11:20

Everybody dies Aresen. You're born, you die, and the bit in between is called life.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 16 Mar 2019, 12:34

Warren wrote:
Too snarky? sry
Nah, you're fine, it was just not what I wanted to hear after being woken up at 2 AM. Also our smoke detector and CO detector now take different kinds of batteries, which is another slight layer of annoyance.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2019, 14:05

JD wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 12:34
Warren wrote:
Too snarky? sry
Nah, you're fine, it was just not what I wanted to hear after being woken up at 2 AM. Also our smoke detector and CO detector now take different kinds of batteries, which is another slight layer of annoyance.
Are you required to have a CO detector? Some other reason?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Mar 2019, 11:37

Warren wrote:
JD wrote:
Warren wrote:
Too snarky? sry
If you have a furnace, gas range/oven, or gas hot water heater, they're a good idea. That's more true in places where snowfall can cover the exhaust, but shit can happen anywhere.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Mar 2019, 11:46

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 11:37
Warren wrote:
JD wrote:
Warren wrote:
Too snarky? sry
If you have a furnace, gas range/oven, or gas hot water heater, they're a good idea. That's more true in places where snowfall can cover the exhaust, but shit can happen anywhere.
I've heard of pilot lights going out, and gas leaks, being a problem. But in all my years I've never heard of CO poisoning from failed exhaust ventilation. Better to have a detector that's never needed than ever need one and not have it of course.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Mar 2019, 11:50

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 11:37
Warren wrote:
JD wrote:
Warren wrote:
Too snarky? sry
I've heard of pilot lights going out, and gas leaks, being a problem. But in all my years I've never heard of CO poisoning from failed exhaust ventilation. Better to have a detector that's never needed than ever need one and not have it of course.
My guess is that it's different causes for gas appliances, but the snow covers exhaust thing has happened out here in blizzards

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Mar 2019, 13:44

Our gas furnace didn't get to that point, because we had it checked every few years and replaced it at about 14 years (when it started to show signs), but it's definitely possible for the heat exchanger in a gas furnace to develop corrosion and leaks, which can allow the combustion gases to mix with the forced air in the house. That's a possible vector for CO poisoning.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Mar 2019, 18:29

A possible solution is to move to california, where you will be forced to buy a detector that has non-replaceable internal power that is good for 10 years.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Mar 2019, 09:42

It seems unreasonable to require the detection of Colorado but not Florida.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Mar 2019, 10:42

Florida's crazy mutates too quickly to be reliably detected.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Mar 2019, 13:00

JasonL wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 09:42
It seems unreasonable to require the detection of Colorado but not Florida.
Yeah, and the urine test for "Colorado" is super easy because it usually lingers in the blood stream for up to six weeks.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Mar 2019, 14:31

A couple days ago Jeff and I came home from errands to discover a VERY large box from Target (shipped via UPS) on our doorstep. Which surprised us because we haven't ordered anything from Target. The box had our address on it, but NOT our name -- Jeff Googled the name and found one mention of a man in the nearby (literally walking distance) town of Lithonia -- except, Jeff said, the most recent mention he could find was from 2011. That Target box contained a fairly pricey-looking Fisher-Price baby thing. Next day we found another giant Target box on our doorstep, addressed to the same guy. And just now came a knock on the door; FedEx delivering an envelope with the man's name on it. WTF?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Mar 2019, 14:47

Well, THAT was a quickly resolved mystery: the FedEx envelope had the guy's phone number on it. Called and discovered he lives in our complex and our addresses are very similar, except that ours contains a numeral 9 whereas his has a 4. I'm going to guess someone in his family has the type of handwriting where you can't really distinguish between those two. So he just came to retrieve the packages, and mentioned he was especially glad to get the baby stuff because he and his SO are expecting this May. (As Jeff said after he left: If it were anything other than baby stuff, I just would've gotten pissed.") And we told him that if we get anything else addressed to him, at least now we know where to deliver it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b