Petty annoyances

Number 6

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Number 6 » 10 Jan 2019, 21:07

Aresen wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:41
JasonL wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:07
Kind of? The flexibility in trained staff isn’t adequate for variability in call volumes in many cases.
I might buy that if I didn't get that message every friggin' time. When you have millions of customers, the load is statistically very predictable.
My old cable company played the same "we are experiencing unusually high call volumes" message literally every. single. time. I called them. I may or may not have screamed, "No, you're fucking not!" more than once.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Jan 2019, 12:51

Aresen wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Kind of? The flexibility in trained staff isn’t adequate for variability in call volumes in many cases.
I might buy that if I didn't get that message every friggin' time. When you have millions of customers, the load is statistically very predictable.
They didn't say higher-than-predicted call volume, they said higher-than-USUAL call volume. If they're open 10 hours/day, and get 1000 calls/hour that last 10 minutes each while they're open and 50 calls/hour that last 30 seconds each when they're not open that go immediately to the computer message, that means they average just under 450 calls/hour and in any given hour they expect calls to average just over four minutes, so to meet usual call volumes, they need to staff at enough customer service reps to handle 450 calls that last less than 5 minutes each.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jake

Post by Jake » 11 Jan 2019, 13:42

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 12:51
Aresen wrote:
JasonL wrote:
They didn't say higher-than-predicted call volume, they said higher-than-USUAL call volume. If they're open 10 hours/day, and get 1000 calls/hour that last 10 minutes each while they're open and 50 calls/hour that last 30 seconds each when they're not open that go immediately to the computer message, that means they average just under 450 calls/hour and in any given hour they expect calls to average just over four minutes, so to meet usual call volumes, they need to staff at enough customer service reps to handle 450 calls that last less than 5 minutes each.
Also, considering that for the vast majority of the 13.7 billion years or so since the Big Bang, they were getting zero calls per minute, it's safe to assume that "usual call volume" will remain zero for a very, very long time yet. So whenever you call, even if you're the only one, you make it higher than "usual". ;)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Jan 2019, 13:57

Well, I hadn't considered it from a cosmological perspective....
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 11 Jan 2019, 17:04

On average, times when you're calling in have one more caller than times when you're not.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jan 2019, 10:40

First world problems are almost by definition, when you have a temporary problem, everyone else has that problem at the same time.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jan 2019, 13:11

If your car is still under warranty, consider taking it to a different Honda dealership (bonus points for telling your former dealer why). If it's not under warranty, take it to an independent mechanic. They have the same diagnostic tools the dealers have and the same service bulletins.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jan 2019, 15:21

Jadagul wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 17:04
On average, times when you're calling in have one more caller than times when you're not.
Reason 1ℵ why you're on hold.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex