Petty annoyances

Number 6

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Number 6 » 10 Jan 2019, 21:07

Aresen wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:41
JasonL wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:07
Kind of? The flexibility in trained staff isn’t adequate for variability in call volumes in many cases.
I might buy that if I didn't get that message every friggin' time. When you have millions of customers, the load is statistically very predictable.
My old cable company played the same "we are experiencing unusually high call volumes" message literally every. single. time. I called them. I may or may not have screamed, "No, you're fucking not!" more than once.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Jan 2019, 12:51

Aresen wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Kind of? The flexibility in trained staff isn’t adequate for variability in call volumes in many cases.
I might buy that if I didn't get that message every friggin' time. When you have millions of customers, the load is statistically very predictable.
They didn't say higher-than-predicted call volume, they said higher-than-USUAL call volume. If they're open 10 hours/day, and get 1000 calls/hour that last 10 minutes each while they're open and 50 calls/hour that last 30 seconds each when they're not open that go immediately to the computer message, that means they average just under 450 calls/hour and in any given hour they expect calls to average just over four minutes, so to meet usual call volumes, they need to staff at enough customer service reps to handle 450 calls that last less than 5 minutes each.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jake

Post by Jake » 11 Jan 2019, 13:42

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 12:51
Aresen wrote:
JasonL wrote:
They didn't say higher-than-predicted call volume, they said higher-than-USUAL call volume. If they're open 10 hours/day, and get 1000 calls/hour that last 10 minutes each while they're open and 50 calls/hour that last 30 seconds each when they're not open that go immediately to the computer message, that means they average just under 450 calls/hour and in any given hour they expect calls to average just over four minutes, so to meet usual call volumes, they need to staff at enough customer service reps to handle 450 calls that last less than 5 minutes each.
Also, considering that for the vast majority of the 13.7 billion years or so since the Big Bang, they were getting zero calls per minute, it's safe to assume that "usual call volume" will remain zero for a very, very long time yet. So whenever you call, even if you're the only one, you make it higher than "usual". ;)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Jan 2019, 13:57

Well, I hadn't considered it from a cosmological perspective....
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 11 Jan 2019, 17:04

On average, times when you're calling in have one more caller than times when you're not.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jan 2019, 10:40

First world problems are almost by definition, when you have a temporary problem, everyone else has that problem at the same time.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jan 2019, 13:11

If your car is still under warranty, consider taking it to a different Honda dealership (bonus points for telling your former dealer why). If it's not under warranty, take it to an independent mechanic. They have the same diagnostic tools the dealers have and the same service bulletins.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jan 2019, 15:21

Jadagul wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 17:04
On average, times when you're calling in have one more caller than times when you're not.
Reason 1ℵ why you're on hold.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jan 2019, 15:03

Whenever I trim my toenails, I invariably quick myself or tear a piece of cuticle.

I should probably just go for a pedicure.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Jan 2019, 20:11

Next time you see him, casually inquire what your farrier would charge to trim an even number of toes.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 20 Jan 2019, 15:10

Selling stuff online, as I've probably said before.

"I am selling a ______ for $350. Reasonable offers considered. No trades, please."
"I only have $200 and an old motorcycle fender"
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jan 2019, 15:13

JD, do you ever read the "Choosing Beggars" subreddit? LOTS of people like that in there.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 21 Jan 2019, 14:40

Jennifer wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 15:13
JD, do you ever read the "Choosing Beggars" subreddit? LOTS of people like that in there.
I was not familiar with it. The stories are depressingly familiar, though. I also forgot to mention this part of the exchange:

"where are u located"
"I'm in South Slope, Brooklyn, right by the R train."
"i will be in manhattan on tuesday"

Uh...that's nice?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jan 2019, 16:45

Maybe it is not my place to be annoyed in this situation, but I am:

The people I board my horse with operate the place as a hobby farm as well as boarding horses: They raise chickens, turkeys, sheep, and sell eggs and hay. They are both around 80, but they work hard all day every day.

Many people come by each day to buy the eggs from their chickens and they often sell out early in the day.

This morning, while I was grooming my horse after the ride, someone came in looking for eggs, but there were no large eggs left. He asked me when they gathered the eggs and I said the eggs are gathered throughout the day, at no particular time.

At this point, the guy says "I suppose it depends when they get out of bed."

I really wanted to tell the guy that, if he knew the owners like I do, he would never say something like that. However, since it was not my place to irritate a potential customer, I said nothing.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2019, 16:51

Flip side of horse boarding annoyances - I'm really tired of our stable owner treating us like she's doing us some big favor for allowing us to pay her thousands of dollars. Like, really really tired of it. If she doesn't follow turn out instructions, messes up food, fails to notice obvious health issues like bleeding feet, etc etc which happens ALL THE TIME, well - you know it's hard to find good help.

If our horse, who doesn't eat the year's worth of food we pay them for so they keep that money, has extra hay in his rack and throws it around - 5 page sternly worded email about use of resources. If wife spends hours at farm helping other people do things like take this guy out for a bit, could you check on the food they gave so and so etc - jobs the staff should be doing, well that doesn't matter.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jan 2019, 18:02

JasonL wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 16:51
Flip side of horse boarding annoyances - I'm really tired of our stable owner treating us like she's doing us some big favor for allowing us to pay her thousands of dollars. Like, really really tired of it. If she doesn't follow turn out instructions, messes up food, fails to notice obvious health issues like bleeding feet, etc etc which happens ALL THE TIME, well - you know it's hard to find good help.

If our horse, who doesn't eat the year's worth of food we pay them for so they keep that money, has extra hay in his rack and throws it around - 5 page sternly worded email about use of resources. If wife spends hours at farm helping other people do things like take this guy out for a bit, could you check on the food they gave so and so etc - jobs the staff should be doing, well that doesn't matter.
Ouch. A bad boarding situation is about the worst (non-health) problem a horse owner can have. I board in a 'co-op' situation - the farm owners provide the barn and the paddocks while feeding and stall cleaning is the responsibility of the horse owners. Each of us does the chores for all the horses a number of days each month (30 days/5 horses = 6 chore days). We've run a few people off who didn't pull their weight, but we've got a solid group right now and it works well.

(EDIT in red for clarification of ambiguous reference)
Last edited by Aresen on 28 Jan 2019, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2019, 18:39

Yeah - ours isn’t supposed to be do it yourself but winds up that way.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 28 Jan 2019, 20:27

Jason, you should hire me to teach you how to be a total bitch who gets what she wants.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2019, 20:39

The confounding variable is my wife’s views about the community of horsey people.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 29 Jan 2019, 06:24

JasonL wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 16:51

Bleeding feet? Often? Something's really not right. I've shod a lot of horses in a lot of situations, and can't off the top of my head think of more than a handful of times I ran into bleeding, other than punctures, or unless I quicked one (whoops.) Or surgery. Which I presume ain't the case here. Bruising, yes. Bleeding? Something's wrong.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jan 2019, 06:42

Not often for bleeding feet in particular. Often for something. Dangling or pulled shoe etc. also thoroughbreds have shitty feet. He’s prone to abscesses, throws shoes all the time and has to go barefoot for stretches to toughen his feet back up.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jan 2019, 09:46

Hmmmm I remember reading something about how price and service are linked together and quality goes up while price goes down under certain conditions where the customer can choose not to purchase. I think there's a name for it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jan 2019, 10:28

Yep. Unless the primaries spending the cash see the value proposition on offer differently.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jan 2019, 11:16

The animal's care and well being is not priority?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jan 2019, 11:32

It is. Concerns are - what are the alternatives that we think are way better, her most trusted network of horsey support people are other people at this stable (not the employees), size of property to roam, happiness of horse in turnout, locality for frequent visits. It's a bit like going to a bar where you hate the bartender but love the regulars, maybe?