Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kwix » 07 Jan 2019, 16:47

Warren wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 16:37
Kwix wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 16:30
Warren wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 11:36
My new Honda shit the bed. Pretty much every system with a sensor is reporting failure. It still runs and drives. Dealer can't get me in until Tues. Last time I took it in to get the accessories installed it was a nightmare. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu
Stupid question, did you accidentally leave a light on? I ask this because cars heavy in electronics are known for sprouting a christmas tree's worth of lights on a low battery. If you have a trickle charger, toss that on there or rip it out and take it to AutoZone for test/charge.
No. Last night I drove it to pick up some take-out food. No problem starting up. AND the problem disappeared on the way out. Then reappeared on the way back. Fuck I hate intermittent problems. Hopefully it throws a code they can find when I take it. Now I know it's not a fuse.
Bah. Intermittent shit is hard as hell to troubleshoot. Good luck.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 08 Jan 2019, 08:05

It's aliens.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Jan 2019, 09:37

Andrew wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 16:46
It could be a bad (but not quite toast) battery, too. A coworker had similar intermittent electrical system problems caused by one.
That, or a wonky alternator. Either way, that's odd behavior, especially for a new Honda.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2019, 09:40

Number 6 wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 09:37
Andrew wrote:
It could be a bad (but not quite toast) battery, too. A coworker had similar intermittent electrical system problems caused by one.
That, or a wonky alternator. Either way, that's odd behavior, especially for a new Honda.
Problem gone now. It might be a "night problem". I canceled my service appointment until it happens again and I can at least get video of the dash.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jan 2019, 11:32

Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Problem gone now. It might be a "night problem". I canceled my service appointment until it happens again and I can at least get video of the dash.
It does sound like a low battery kind of thing. Especially if it goes away after you drive a little, but comes back when you are starting up at night. Wonder if you left a light on or something plugged in draining the battery through USB or accessory and that drained the battery low and you are now getting it charged up out of the problem zone.

Are most of your trips very short?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2019, 13:04

Highway wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 11:32
Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
It does sound like a low battery kind of thing. Especially if it goes away after you drive a little, but comes back when you are starting up at night. Wonder if you left a light on or something plugged in draining the battery through USB or accessory and that drained the battery low and you are now getting it charged up out of the problem zone.

Are most of your trips very short?
I don't see that I've left anything on. First time drove 15 minutes to a restaurant fine, then after eating boom. Then drove 2 minutes to pick up food, came out two minutes later and boom. Will gather more data over time I guess.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jan 2019, 13:18

I'd bet a dollar it's a loose/broken connection going to ground or shorting intermittently.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jan 2019, 13:54

Dangerman wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 13:18
I'd bet a dollar it's a loose/broken connection going to ground or shorting intermittently.
This would be my WAG. Or just losing connection periodically.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Jan 2019, 16:28

Tuco wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 08:05
It's aliens.
Yeah, they can certainly cause intermittent shit depending on which survey techniques they use.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Jan 2019, 18:39

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 13:54
Dangerman wrote:
This is a good point, and I should have thought of it before, since I've had this happen:
Check the battery terminals, especially the positive, which usually has a bunch of stuff running to it. If either is even slightly loose, you might see the intermittent sort of failure you're describing.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2019, 18:49

Number 6 wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 18:39
lunchstealer wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
This is a good point, and I should have thought of it before, since I've had this happen:
Check the battery terminals, especially the positive, which usually has a bunch of stuff running to it. If either is even slightly loose, you might see the intermittent sort of failure you're describing.
Um yeah..... You guys know I have 10,000 hours troubleshooting electronic equipment right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Jan 2019, 21:53

Warren wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 18:49
Number 6 wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 18:39
lunchstealer wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
Um yeah..... You guys know I have 10,000 hours troubleshooting electronic equipment right?
Yes. But I also know you're not much of a car guy.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Jan 2019, 22:09

MNsure [Minnesota's health insurance marketplace]: *daily emails* Better hurry up! The deadline is approaching! Get on this ASAP!

Me: Oh yeah, I guess I better sign up and see if we qualify for any tax credits or assistance.

MNsure: Sorry, our account creation page isn't working right now.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 09 Jan 2019, 09:46

I'm almost convinced someone in my house is eating AAA batteries. We're going through a gonzo pack in less than 6 months.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jan 2019, 12:30

Whenever I have to call in to a 'Customer Service Department' and get put on hold, there is the inevitable message "We are experiencing higher than usual call volumes." I hate this effing lie. They know damn well the expected call volumes at any given moment and deliberately staff below the necessary levels.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jan 2019, 13:07

Kind of? The flexibility in trained staff isn’t adequate for variability in call volumes in many cases.

Jake

Post by Jake » 10 Jan 2019, 13:40

Aresen wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 12:30
Whenever I have to call in to a 'Customer Service Department' and get put on hold, there is the inevitable message "We are experiencing higher than usual call volumes." I hate this effing lie. They know damn well the expected call volumes at any given moment and deliberately staff below the necessary levels.
It's just that they weren't expecting you to call. If you'd only quit calling, volumes would be precisely right all the time! ;)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jan 2019, 13:41

JasonL wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:07
Kind of? The flexibility in trained staff isn’t adequate for variability in call volumes in many cases.
I might buy that if I didn't get that message every friggin' time. When you have millions of customers, the load is statistically very predictable.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jan 2019, 13:54

Um. My company would pay you a zillion dollars if you could make that work.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Jan 2019, 15:57

Aresen wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:41
JasonL wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:07
I might buy that if I didn't get that message every friggin' time. When you have millions of customers, the load is statistically very predictable.
Yeah but call center turnover is pretty high, so keeping adequate (and adequately experienced) staff is a hard thing. Even offshore contract call center people are like "I wonder if that subsistence farming gig is still available?"
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jan 2019, 16:40

It's legitimately hard in some businesses - especially those with connection to markets. I have to monitor service levels including hold times with financial penalties on the line. We have very sophisticated predictive models, and we are one tweet away from not making it. Also, you would not pay for no wait times ever. You think you would but you wouldn't.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Jan 2019, 16:43

Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 15:57
Even offshore contract call center people are like "I wonder if that subsistence farming gig is still available?"
I could never get over the cognitive disconnect back in the day. In the 90s the narrative was "call center jobs are TERRIBLE. They're just THE WORST. If you ever get a job at one you'll quit as soon as you figure out it's better being homeless than working there". Which in the 00's turned into "ZOMG the call center jobs are LEAVING! (clutch pearls and faint on couch)". Yes, I'm really sad that our citizens will have a harder time landing the worst job in the world.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jan 2019, 17:13

JasonL wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 16:40
It's legitimately hard in some businesses - especially those with connection to markets. I have to monitor service levels including hold times with financial penalties on the line. We have very sophisticated predictive models, and we are one tweet away from not making it. Also, you would not pay for no wait times ever. You think you would but you wouldn't.
Conceding your point, I am still doubtful that I would hit 'longer than normal wait times' just about every time I call. Yes, there is a randomness to when people will call in, so the minute-to-minute distribution is not going to be a smooth curve, but I would be very surprised if the hourly rate wasn't known within narrow margins.

I much prefer the call centers that tell me the estimated wait time to the ones that use the 'higher than normal' BS. (Even better are the ones that let you enter a call-back number so you don't have to sit there holding the phone to your ear playing muzak.)

I also recognize that staffing for 'every call answered immediately' would be prohibitively expensive. OTOH, companies that run call centers also count on a certain percentage of frustrated customers who hang up when the holds become excessive.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jan 2019, 17:25

We use tiered messaging that conveys a normalish hold time up to a break point then switches to higher than anticipated volumes under contingency. Sometimes we can flex heads to pick up the slack, but we have to do what we can to get trading activity on those days through the web portal - there's some push and pull around how to handle it. I have to maintain a speed to answer way under a minute on a calendar quarter basis, but my bad days are haha not close because the capacity modelling failed for some reason.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jan 2019, 20:25

And yet every time I call Gieco or Discover Card I'm talking to my raised in America service representative within five minutes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT