Petty annoyances

Mo

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Mo » 06 Dec 2018, 06:15

Warren wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 12:27
Ellie wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 11:32
I know we talked before about how the guy on Love it or List it looks identical to Ayn Randian. Now that he's gone off the deep end I can't stand to watch the show. Of course there's a marathon on HGTV right now and I don't feel like changing the channel
Why does this give me glee? Like some guy in pressed denim convinces you to sell your house and buy this bigger house that you need for your bigger family and after you move you find out there's a clause in your mortgage that requires you to hang a family photograph over the mantle with the whole family decked out in Klan regalia and Milo Yiannopoulos has a ten year lease on your attic.
List it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Dec 2018, 18:20

Even with every single possible notification/fancy feature disabled, Google maps still sucks to use on mobile. Search for something and it brings up a big list of shit that blocks the map (gee, thanks for giant pictures of food that make it so I can't see on the map where said food is). Swipe down to hide the list. Okay, fine, but I'd rather disable that (apparently not possible).

Click on something and it brings up a summary that mostly blocks the map. Swiping down doesn't get rid of it. The back button gets rid of it, but brings back the list that blocks the map. And zooms the map back out to a bigger view. What the shit, google.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 15 Dec 2018, 12:06

This was my morning at my new apartment:

Furniture guys announce there arrival by leaning on the buzzer (later find out that this because they don't have my cell phone) and not stopping, which made me get flustered and I rushed out of my apartment...without my keys.
Ok, so not a huge deal, the super lives on the first floor, and he's home.

No, he doesn't keep keys for the apartment. One of the main jobs of being a live-in super! Having keys to the apartments and/or a master type key!

So instead of getting my furniture, I had to call a locksmith and have the lock on my apartment replaced, which cost over $200.) And no, it was not the type of lock you could get open with a credit card or something)

Also, coincidentally, someone else in my building locked himself out of his apartment right after I did - the doors swing close very quickly and it's easy to do even if you're just setting something down and/or being a moron like I am.

But the furniture delivery guys and the locksmith who showed up both thought it was very dumb that the super didn't have keys.

Anyway, the furniture people are allegedly coming back today, but we'll see.

At least the locksmith was SUPER hot.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Dec 2018, 14:18

Rachel wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 12:06
Now "he opens the lock" can replace "he fixes the cable."

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2018, 14:34

Andrew wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 14:18
Rachel wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 12:06
Now "he opens the lock" can replace "he fixes the cable."
Don't be fatuous Andrew
We fucked up, so we're going to need more money. - Tuco

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2018, 11:48

Craigslist reorganized their site a while back and changed all their URLs to be slightly different. For example, newyork.craigslist.org/msa became newyork.craigslist.org/search/msa. This is not a huge deal, but why the hell couldn't they have set up redirects so old links and typing habits kept working? As far as I can tell, it was a simple one-to-one mapping, so it would have been easy.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2018, 19:48

JD wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 11:48
Craigslist reorganized their site a while back and changed all their URLs to be slightly different. For example, newyork.craigslist.org/msa became newyork.craigslist.org/search/msa. This is not a huge deal, but why the hell couldn't they have set up redirects so old links and typing habits kept working? As far as I can tell, it was a simple one-to-one mapping, so it would have been easy.
My guess is they did it specifically to break all the old links.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Dec 2018, 10:58

If my phone draws to much power (say, I turn on GPS for Uber, and activate my phone camera to take a photo) it dies and I lose literally all my config data and settings, basically a shitty factory reset. This happens if the battery is at less than 60 percent.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Dec 2018, 11:03

That does not seem petty to me. That seems like actual misery.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Dec 2018, 16:52

lunchstealer wrote:
20 Dec 2018, 11:03
That does not seem petty to me. That seems like actual misery.
More than petty, less than misery perhaps. At any rate, eff that noise, ask Santa for a new phone.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Dec 2018, 09:16

Dunkin Donuts just made me reswipe my card for .25 for a cup of water.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Dec 2018, 12:01

Dangerman wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 09:16
Dunkin Donuts just made me reswipe my card for .25 for a cup of water.
I hope you spilled some on their floor.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Dec 2018, 23:03

I am trying to enjoy this Seattle-Kansas City ballgame but a) Kansas City's coach looks too much like my high school football coach and b) every time I see this logo as NFL sponsors my soul dies a little:
Unknown-1.png
Unknown-1.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Jan 2019, 09:27

Please stop reporting wage growth numbers in nominal terms.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jan 2019, 10:14

Mo wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 09:27
Good luck with that. That's the way they've always been reported.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Jan 2019, 12:13

Warren wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 10:14
Mo wrote:
I know. Reporting economic numbers in nominal terms and pretending the DJIA matters are my two biggest financial press pet peeves.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jan 2019, 12:25

Mo wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 12:13
Warren wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 10:14
Mo wrote:
I know. Reporting economic numbers in nominal terms and pretending the DJIA matters are my two biggest financial press pet peeves.
If you're saying that the DJIA doesn't matter because it isn't a weighted index, I agree with you. However, I can't recall a time when the DOW and S&P diverged significantly.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jan 2019, 12:51

I think Mo means that the DJIA is meaningless as a driver of the economy.

It does have some correlation with the state of the economy and I think it can be an indicator, but the day-to-day obsession with how many points it is up or down is ridiculous.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jan 2019, 13:08

Aresen wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 12:51
I think Mo means that the DJIA is meaningless as a driver of the economy.

It does have some correlation with the state of the economy and I think it can be an indicator, but the day-to-day obsession with how many points it is up or down is ridiculous.
Ah check. Witness the current argle bargle over the Fed Chair "upsetting" the markets, so that he then had to deliver more explicitly dovish public pronouncements, and that gave everyone a big warm fuzzy feeling.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Jan 2019, 04:19

Aresen wrote:I think Mo means that the DJIA is meaningless as a driver of the economy.

No Warren has it right. Even if the stock market is a good indicator (and it is, just not for the economy writ large and not on a day to day basis) the Dow is a terrible measure of it.

In early 2012, the YTD performance diverged almost 5%.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jan 2019, 11:36

My new Honda shit the bed. Pretty much every system with a sensor is reporting failure. It still runs and drives. Dealer can't get me in until Tues. Last time I took it in to get the accessories installed it was a nightmare. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 07 Jan 2019, 16:30

Warren wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 11:36
My new Honda shit the bed. Pretty much every system with a sensor is reporting failure. It still runs and drives. Dealer can't get me in until Tues. Last time I took it in to get the accessories installed it was a nightmare. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu
Stupid question, did you accidentally leave a light on? I ask this because cars heavy in electronics are known for sprouting a christmas tree's worth of lights on a low battery. If you have a trickle charger, toss that on there or rip it out and take it to AutoZone for test/charge.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jan 2019, 16:37

Kwix wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 16:30
Warren wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 11:36
Stupid question, did you accidentally leave a light on? I ask this because cars heavy in electronics are known for sprouting a christmas tree's worth of lights on a low battery. If you have a trickle charger, toss that on there or rip it out and take it to AutoZone for test/charge.
No. Last night I drove it to pick up some take-out food. No problem starting up. AND the problem disappeared on the way out. Then reappeared on the way back. Fuck I hate intermittent problems. Hopefully it throws a code they can find when I take it. Now I know it's not a fuse.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jan 2019, 16:46

Hmmm. Were your dental fillings picking up FM signals at the time?

*runs away*

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Jan 2019, 16:46

It could be a bad (but not quite toast) battery, too. A coworker had similar intermittent electrical system problems caused by one.