Petty annoyances

Kwix

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kwix » 22 Jun 2018, 17:53

Jennifer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 17:42
So -- given that I did indeed just strip out a whole bunch of scalp-sebum (which is the main reason shampoo damages your hair and fucks up your oil levels to begin with: you strip out the sebum, so your scalp produces more to make up the loss, thus requiring more shampoo to clean it the next time, thus inspiring MORE sebum production, and so on and so forth)-- how much damage did I just do? Am I right back to where I was the first day I decided "Fuck this; Imma kick the habit?" Will I again need a month's worth of weeks to get back to my normal standard, or will it be okay the next time I do my usual conditioner-only washing, or what?
Yeah, you stripped the sebum so you need to replace the moisture retention before your scalp realizes it's gone. The missus has done this by accident a couple of times. Since I presume you are following the whole "no silicone in my conditioner" route all she did was increase her conditioning routine for a couple of weeks (3 times a week instead of 1) gradually stepping it down to the normal routine.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jun 2018, 18:06

Kwix wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 17:53
Jennifer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 17:42
So -- given that I did indeed just strip out a whole bunch of scalp-sebum (which is the main reason shampoo damages your hair and fucks up your oil levels to begin with: you strip out the sebum, so your scalp produces more to make up the loss, thus requiring more shampoo to clean it the next time, thus inspiring MORE sebum production, and so on and so forth)-- how much damage did I just do? Am I right back to where I was the first day I decided "Fuck this; Imma kick the habit?" Will I again need a month's worth of weeks to get back to my normal standard, or will it be okay the next time I do my usual conditioner-only washing, or what?
Yeah, you stripped the sebum so you need to replace the moisture retention before your scalp realizes it's gone. The missus has done this by accident a couple of times. Since I presume you are following the whole "no silicone in my conditioner" route all she did was increase her conditioning routine for a couple of weeks (3 times a week instead of 1) gradually stepping it down to the normal routine.
Huh. Good to know. Ironically (but not surprisingly, since my atheist self is nonetheless convinced the God of Situational Irony is both real and out to get me), yesterday, when I went out for a walk in the specific hope of getting sweaty and gross -- of COURSE it was the mildest day we've had in ages. Took me ten or fifteen minutes of fairly brisk walking before I even started to perspire! And my hair hardly got sweaty at all.

Since I don't have anyplace to go these next couple of days, and thus can get away with neglecting usual hair-hygiene standards, I am going to try putting off my next hair-washing for longer than usual, in hope that letting "dirty oil" stay in my hair and on my scalp a longer than usual before washing it out might reverse some of the damage. (My hair does indeed look bad today--not the "usual" frizz of hair that would be smooth were it not in a too-humid environment, but frizz that looks like I overstyled it. Hell, it looks like I straightened my hair -- I'm wearing my usual barretted ponytail right now, and except for a tiny lilt at the ends, nothing about that ponytail would make a casual observer think "Huh, that hair is usually of a curly/wavy texture.")

Fuck shampoo and fuck the shampoo-industrial complex, man.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jun 2018, 23:03

Aresen wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 16:01
The Fuggers and the Medicis tried the same thing. So did the Knights Templar before them. Eventually, you become the richest target around and all the looters gang up to grab what you've got.
I'd say there's a good chance that the Iron Bank is going down next season. Where its physical location is is just a bunch of city states, none particularly strong. It can play each against one another. It has tied itself too strongly to one family in Westeros, and so will probably go with them.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jun 2018, 23:54

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 23:03
Aresen wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 16:01
The Fuggers and the Medicis tried the same thing. So did the Knights Templar before them. Eventually, you become the richest target around and all the looters gang up to grab what you've got.
I'd say there's a good chance that the Iron Bank is going down next season. Where its physical location is is just a bunch of city states, none particularly strong. It can play each against one another. It has tied itself too strongly to one family in Westeros, and so will probably go with them.
Liquidating your debts by liquidating your creditors has many historical precedents.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Jun 2018, 00:23

Aresen wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 15:19
I have never watched any episode of Game of Thrones, but I've looked at a lot of video clips.

One thing that bugs me is the 'Iron Bank of Braavos', who are somehow invincibly secure in their wealth.

Yes, they can hire mercenaries to cut down those who don't pay, but that doesn't get your money back. It may dissuade others from defaulting, but governments are notoriously short-sighted and even the most fiscally responsible eventually turns spendthrift. Historically, most of the great banking houses of history (Medici, Fuggers) have gone down because of sovereign debt. They loaned money to governments who defaulted. What good is sacking Casterly Rock if the mines have played out?

Further, you can't keep getting richer without eventually becoming a target yourself. In a medieval world, this meant an army at your doorstep. Yes, you can hire mercenaries, but mercenaries have an unfortunate propensity to turn on their paymasters when it looks like they can get more loot that way.

Martin and HBO seem to have fallen for a version of the Rothschild mythos: Invisible bankers who secretly control the world.

If I were writing the final season, the Sack of Braavos would be one of my episodes.
Like a lot of things in the show it's a very simplified version of what goes on in the books. The Iron Bank didn't just hire mercenaries. They would give loans to a defaulter's worst enemies. The choice being pay us or we'll keep supporting you're enemies. And if that didn't work they'd send assassin after assassin until whatever ruler still left coughed up the money. It helps that the bank is in an area effectively inaccessible to most of its borrowers. Something most historical banks didn't always have.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jun 2018, 19:00

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jul 2018, 09:57

There’s a guido wedding being celebrated at the N.J. Courtyard where I’m staying.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jul 2018, 11:04

JasonL wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 09:57
There’s a guido wedding being celebrated at the N.J. Courtyard where I’m staying.
There will be shouting. There may be a fight.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jul 2018, 12:20

There was and there was.

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jul 2018, 12:29

Having been to many a Guido or Guido adjacent wedding I am not surprised.

Today my pool pump died. Local shop has pump but no o ring and are cunts. May have to deal with Amazon. This fucking thing will never be open at this rate
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Jul 2018, 11:28

Pools are the opposite of boats: the first thing you need to do if you want to use it on a nice day, is open your wallet. The difference is you're paying to keep the water *in* the pool.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Jul 2018, 11:30

I just installed LastPass for mobile and it asks to autofill every single goddamn text field that I put my cursor into.

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Jul 2018, 11:55

I use 1Password. My wife uses LastPass and I really dislike it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Jul 2018, 02:33

It's 1am here and the power is out. I get crazy hot feet at night and in the summer have to have a fan blowing on them in order to sleep. Without the fan or the AC I'm pretty uncomfortable. So now I'm lying awake watching BritBox on my phone and periodically getting up to run cold water on my feet from the tub.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Jul 2018, 02:56

Back on an hour later. Ahhhhhhhhh.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jul 2018, 03:03

Have you considered getting a couple battery-operated fans in case of power outages? I think "O2 cool" brand can be had for around $10 apiece.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 09:40

So, I spent the week of the 4th helping my wife's sister and her husband move from south jersey to north jersey. In 105 degree temperatures. Because of his new SVP over US Marketing job at Samsung. Into a $750,000 house. Because they didn't want to pay movers and it's actually impossible to do anything with 2 kids. Lest anyone ever say otherwise, this will be among the evidence I present if on trial for "do you love your wife". Because if it weren't for her I would have told them to pound sand and write a fcking check.

On the less petty front, you may recall my sister in law turned into super mommy when she had kids and is 1,000% into no "chemicals", no sugar, natural homeopathic nonsense etc. I have my suspicions that she didn't vaccinate. So, anyway, one of my fears was realized when I learned of her intent to homeschool. I am no advocate of the current public school model, but there is a difference between parents feeling like that environment will fail to expose a child to enough new concepts and ergo creating an expansive curriculum at home vs what's going on here - the fear that the child will be exposed to unapproved content and food and other people who do things wrong and oh no how will I maintain control over every microsecond. The older kid is coming up on 6 now. Has no friends, demands mommy attention all the time because that's what she raised. I worry my nephews are screwed.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jul 2018, 10:20

JasonL wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 09:40
Because they didn't want to pay movers and it's actually impossible to do anything with 2 kids.
4 reelz? Paying movers is about the easiest money I ever spent. Even including the microwave they stole.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jul 2018, 10:23

JasonL wrote:
I worry my nephews are screwed.
They may well be. Adolescence is a powerful force though. It's going to get interesting a decade from now no matter which way it goes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 10:28

Warren wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:20
JasonL wrote:
Because they didn't want to pay movers and it's actually impossible to do anything with 2 kids.
4 reelz? Paying movers is about the easiest money I ever spent. Even including the microwave they stole.
Their thing was "movers for the heavy stuff" so they had movers they say. We moved everything they "didn't trust" the movers to move, all the loose stuff, felt like a hundred boxes from the basement (because they didn't purge natch), etc.

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jul 2018, 11:28

Yeah, I would say, "Fuck you. The way I will help is that you can borrow my pen to write a check."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Jul 2018, 12:13

Yah fuck them. The important stuff you move yourself are your lockbox with key papers, your computers and devices, and jewelery. That's maybe six boxes total if you're a hoarder.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Jul 2018, 12:38

Does MrsL ever get fed up with her sister's nonsense?

JasonL

Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 13:01

Yes. But wife is a woman of very very few relationships all of which she values highly. Her sister will go full I’m not talking to you which she knows is painful.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jul 2018, 13:09

JasonL wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 13:01
Yes. But wife is a woman of very very few relationships all of which she values highly. Her sister will go full I’m not talking to you which she knows is painful.
I heard a character on TV say this, and they are words to live by
Family is like a hand of poker. You don't get to pick em. But you don't have to stick with em either.
I have always found Alison engaging and of kind disposition. What is keeping her from forming relationships with other people? Do you think?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT