Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 10 Jun 2018, 15:25

Jeff just checked his car (he didn't do it last night because he wanted to wait until the engine completely cooled down, which did not happen before sunset). The coolant level was indeed very low, though it's too early to tell if that's a leak, or just ordinary-use coolant loss. (The car is IIRC four years old; he's had it for almost two years -- we bought it just as we were moving from VA to here -- and I don't know that he's ever added to the coolant level before. No knowing if the car's original owner did.)

So now he's going out for a test-drive, and I'm staying home by the phone just in case something goes wrong enough that he needs me to go out and pick him up.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Jun 2018, 18:26

Jennifer wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 15:25
The coolant level was indeed very low, though it's too early to tell if that's a leak, or just ordinary-use coolant loss. (The car is IIRC four years old; he's had it for almost two years -- we bought it just as we were moving from VA to here -- and I don't know that he's ever added to the coolant level before. No knowing if the car's original owner did.)
In normal use a modern car's coolant system is, for all intents, a closed system. You shouldn't be losing any coolant sans a leak.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Jun 2018, 18:35

Kwix wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:26
Jennifer wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 15:25
The coolant level was indeed very low, though it's too early to tell if that's a leak, or just ordinary-use coolant loss. (The car is IIRC four years old; he's had it for almost two years -- we bought it just as we were moving from VA to here -- and I don't know that he's ever added to the coolant level before. No knowing if the car's original owner did.)
In normal use a modern car's coolant system is, for all intents, a closed system. You shouldn't be losing any coolant sans a leak.
Thanks; I'll mention this to Jeff. He does at least know to keep the extra bottle of coolant in his car, and said he intends to check the levels again in a few days.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2018, 19:55

Make sure he's mixing the coolant with water. Check your vehicle's particular mix, but it's usually 50-50 water and coolant.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2018, 20:06

Highway wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 19:55
Make sure he's mixing the coolant with water. Check your vehicle's particular mix, but it's usually 50-50 water and coolant.
Coolant is sometimes sold pre-mixed. Make sure you're putting the right coolant in. If you put the green stuff in a car that calls for the orange stuff, you'll not only have to do a complete flush, but may also get to replace all your hoses.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Jun 2018, 22:08

I was under the impression that no modern coolants (for modern cars) required mixing anymore.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2018, 23:18

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 22:08
I was under the impression that no modern coolants (for modern cars) required mixing anymore.
That's possible, but it's not universal, especially if you pick it up at the gas station or supermarket or something. Apparently they try to use "Coolant" for diluted and "antifreeze" for concentrated.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 14 Jun 2018, 15:47

So, in the second great move of 2018, I have lost a hose clamp so I can't set the laser up. It's raining and I don't want to go outside, but I need to get the laser up and running. Meh.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Jun 2018, 16:16

tr0g wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 15:47
So, in the second great move of 2018, I have lost a hose clamp so I can't set the laser up. It's raining and I don't want to go outside, but I need to get the laser up and running. Meh.
"I'll take 'Motivations of Madmen in James Bond Films' for $800 Alex."
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 14 Jun 2018, 16:27

Jasper wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 16:16
tr0g wrote:
"I'll take 'Motivations of Madmen in James Bond Films' for $800 Alex."
I also have to find the power cord for 110V since I had been running it on 220V, but I'm pretty sure I know where that is.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Jun 2018, 20:59

How the heck do you do lasers on the sharks without the cordless models?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2018, 09:28

tr0g wrote:
Hose clamp? Does your laser have cooling system?
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Jun 2018, 11:14

Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 09:28
tr0g wrote:
Air cooled, but you need an exhaust for the smoke, etc., generated during cutting. Requires a minimum of 350 CFM for exhaust so I'm running a Grizzly dust collector for the exhaust blower. Works great.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2018, 11:33

tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:14
Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 09:28
tr0g wrote:
Air cooled, but you need an exhaust for the smoke, etc., generated during cutting. Requires a minimum of 350 CFM for exhaust so I'm running a Grizzly dust collector for the exhaust blower. Works great.
Well shit, can't you just use duct tape?

JD

Post by JD » 20 Jun 2018, 10:37

Google News' "Technology" section is now about 45% videogame stuff and 45% cellphone stuff.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Jun 2018, 11:39

And the hardware scene is lame right now because prices are high and there isn't anything super exciting on the horizon. Possibly GTX 11xx-series GPUs, but Computex just ended, we had a meh games preview at E3 where the only news was that publishers are Doing The Same Thing But Harder.

HEDT CPUs aren't breaking new ground. Maybe Ryzen II will move some price points but won't enable any new features. Panels have reached max resolution can be realistically driven by available hardware, TN/IPS is still a divide. SSDs have pretty much saturated all lanes and busses.

I think the new thing will be these Micro PCs I've been seeing videos about.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Jun 2018, 17:38

Dangerman wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 11:39
And the hardware scene is lame right now because prices are high and there isn't anything super exciting on the horizon. Possibly GTX 11xx-series GPUs, but Computex just ended, we had a meh games preview at E3 where the only news was that publishers are Doing The Same Thing But Harder.

HEDT CPUs aren't breaking new ground. Maybe Ryzen II will move some price points but won't enable any new features. Panels have reached max resolution can be realistically driven by available hardware, TN/IPS is still a divide. SSDs have pretty much saturated all lanes and busses.

I think the new thing will be these Micro PCs I've been seeing videos about.
Videogames cost too much to make to be innovative. Indie games are the only hope.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Jun 2018, 19:57

Oh, I actually think that it's kind of coming from the other end: profit, not cost, has changed. When you get 3x revenue (and far more profit now that the supply chain is digital and not disc-based) from the same investment, why change?

But I think that indie games will continue to provide innovation because the one thing that Big Titles don't bring is variety.

JD

Post by JD » 21 Jun 2018, 12:13

Have I mentioned LetGo? Because LetGo and their mobile app suck. It's like Craigslist for illiterate people, if you can imagine that.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jun 2018, 17:42

Fuuuuuuck. It's fairly well-known here that I have not washed my hair with shampoo in years -- not from any hippie-granola motivation, but for the very practical-vanity reason that shampooing is actually bad for your hair; I wash with water and the pressure of my own fingers to loosen whatever dried-sweat particles or other things might be dirtying my hair, then use the lightest of conditioners as a detangler. (I'd advise this even for a straight-haired person losing the shampoo habit; for hair as curly/wavy as mine is, it's especially needed.)

So: a couple days ago I bought a new bottle of conditioner, then just now took my first shower using it. Except it felt weird: rather than detangling my hair, it seemed to increase the tangles. Added more conditioner; the tangling got even worse. After my third or fourth dollop of conditioner I FINALLY thought to look at the bottle; sho'nuff, I'd accidentally bought shampoo instead.

So I just shampooed my hair for the first time in almost a decade. And used more shampoo than I was in the habit of applying even when I WAS a regular shampooer. I'm not particularly annoyed over having wasted a buck-something on an unwanted bottle of shampoo; what worries me is, when I first kicked the shampoo habit it took a few weeks for my scalp-oil levels (and thence my hair) to look normal, because shampoo is actually "addictive" in the sense that if you are used to using shampoo and then stop, for awhile your hair will look worse than if you've never touched shampoo at all. IIRC, when I first kicked the habit it took a few weeks for the "withdrawal" symptoms to go away.

So -- given that I did indeed just strip out a whole bunch of scalp-sebum (which is the main reason shampoo damages your hair and fucks up your oil levels to begin with: you strip out the sebum, so your scalp produces more to make up the loss, thus requiring more shampoo to clean it the next time, thus inspiring MORE sebum production, and so on and so forth)-- how much damage did I just do? Am I right back to where I was the first day I decided "Fuck this; Imma kick the habit?" Will I again need a month's worth of weeks to get back to my normal standard, or will it be okay the next time I do my usual conditioner-only washing, or what?

[Curses] Even though it's still the hottest part of the day and my hair isn't even remotely dry from my shower, I'm going out anyway--partly to buy conditioner, but mainly in the hope that maybe Sweatbox Georgia will work to my benefit here; maybe if I get sweaty and nasty enough to negate all benefits of being freshly washed, I'll also negate whatever damage the shampoo did?

Fuckity fucking fuck, this is annoying. Especially since it's 100 percent my own fault for being careless when I bought that bottle.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jun 2018, 15:19

I have never watched any episode of Game of Thrones, but I've looked at a lot of video clips.

One thing that bugs me is the 'Iron Bank of Braavos', who are somehow invincibly secure in their wealth.

Yes, they can hire mercenaries to cut down those who don't pay, but that doesn't get your money back. It may dissuade others from defaulting, but governments are notoriously short-sighted and even the most fiscally responsible eventually turns spendthrift. Historically, most of the great banking houses of history (Medici, Fuggers) have gone down because of sovereign debt. They loaned money to governments who defaulted. What good is sacking Casterly Rock if the mines have played out?

Further, you can't keep getting richer without eventually becoming a target yourself. In a medieval world, this meant an army at your doorstep. Yes, you can hire mercenaries, but mercenaries have an unfortunate propensity to turn on their paymasters when it looks like they can get more loot that way.

Martin and HBO seem to have fallen for a version of the Rothschild mythos: Invisible bankers who secretly control the world.

If I were writing the final season, the Sack of Braavos would be one of my episodes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jun 2018, 15:40

Aresen wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 15:19
I have never watched any episode of Game of Thrones, but I've looked at a lot of video clips.

One thing that bugs me is the 'Iron Bank of Braavos', who are somehow invincibly secure in their wealth.

Yes, they can hire mercenaries to cut down those who don't pay, but that doesn't get your money back. It may dissuade others from defaulting, but governments are notoriously short-sighted and even the most fiscally responsible eventually turns spendthrift. Historically, most of the great banking houses of history (Medici, Fuggers) have gone down because of sovereign debt. They loaned money to governments who defaulted. What good is sacking Casterly Rock if the mines have played out?

Further, you can't keep getting richer without eventually becoming a target yourself. In a medieval world, this meant an army at your doorstep. Yes, you can hire mercenaries, but mercenaries have an unfortunate propensity to turn on their paymasters when it looks like they can get more loot that way.

Martin and HBO seem to have fallen for a version of the Rothschild mythos: Invisible bankers who secretly control the world.

If I were writing the final season, the Sack of Braavos would be one of my episodes.
You need to watch the show. The Iron Bank and the manner in which it perpetuates itself is explored in some depth. It's about diversity. Sacking Braavos will do nothing to upset the Bank's stability as it owns assets (including assets like armies) all over the world.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jun 2018, 16:01

The Fuggers and the Medicis tried the same thing. So did the Knights Templar before them. Eventually, you become the richest target around and all the looters gang up to grab what you've got.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jun 2018, 16:03

Aresen wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 16:01
The Fuggers and the Medicis tried the same thing. So did the Knights Templar before them. Eventually, you become the richest target around and all the looters gang up to grab what you've got.
But what you've got is dispersed.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jun 2018, 16:38

Aresen wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 16:01
The Fuggers, Medicis and Knights Templar couldn't hire Faceless Men, though.