Petty annoyances

dhex

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dhex »

Jake wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 00:08 I made a map. Tracking this package is now my COVID hobby.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
You should tweet this at the USPS
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Jake

Post by Jake »

dhex wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 14:26
Jake wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 00:08 I made a map. Tracking this package is now my COVID hobby.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
You should tweet this at the USPS
Done. :)
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Jake

Post by Jake »

The package went to Seattle. That's 80 miles closer to me than it's ever been!

(These are the small victories I live for now.)

It left Seattle last night. If it shows up in Portland, I'll be excited that it might be back on track. However, part of me suspects that, like a jilted lover who just can't let go, it's headed back to that facility in Massachusetts (and maybe, for all I know, doing so armed and wearing an astronaut diaper).
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

dead_elvis wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 14:06 At least, in the end, I have now setup the pi as an attic cam and after scanning through the footage there wasn't any animal activity last night (we sometimes hear scuffling noises at night).
You've seen the Exorcist, right?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Jake

Post by Jake »

It arrived! And all of the addressing was perfect, and there were no other markings on the packaging aside from what the postal service put there.

So I don't know why it took 40 days and 7000 miles to travel the 384 road miles from its origin to my house, but it's finally here so now I have to stop griping about it and find a new hobby.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jake wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 19:11 It arrived! And all of the addressing was perfect, and there were no other markings on the packaging aside from what the postal service put there.

So I don't know why it took 40 days and 7000 miles to travel the 384 road miles from its origin to my house, but it's finally here so now I have to stop griping about it and find a new hobby.
In the year of the pandemic, your book got to travel more than you did.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 20:03
Jake wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 19:11 It arrived! And all of the addressing was perfect, and there were no other markings on the packaging aside from what the postal service put there.

In the year of the pandemic, your book got to travel more than you did.
For me that's gonna be literally true. I just filled the tank on my car for the second time since March. I'm on track to put about 1500 miles on my car this year. Which is only somewhat less than my average, as it's four years old and at 25k.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'd like to find the guy who started the whole idea that a stylish, professional website needs to have spindly dark-gray text on a medium-gray background and punch him in the nuts.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JD

Post by JD »

My wife's larger, cheaper new workspace is turning out to be neither larger nor cheaper, apparently. At least it is still closer and in a better neighborhood. The neighborhood could go downhill, but at least getting farther away is unlikely, barring exciting new advances in plate tectonics.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Highway

Post by Highway »

That sucks, how did it turn out to be not so good? Misrepresentation on the part of the landlord?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
JD

Post by JD »

Highway wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 14:53 That sucks, how did it turn out to be not so good? Misrepresentation on the part of the landlord?
Eh, not really, honestly I think it was mostly my wife getting too excited before she knew all the facts. Stuff like "the rent is cheaper, but heat and electricity were included in the old price but not the new one" or "there are technically more square feet, but you lose space to this column, and the long skinny layout of the room gives you less room to move around than the old square room did". It's still overall a better deal, though. Especially given that last night, three men got shot literally across the street from the old location, which is literally about 100 yards from a police station. (Not shot by the police, AFAIK.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Fer chrissakes, this is like the third time I put something in my amazon cart, come back a couple days later when I have more stuff to justify an order, and the original item has gone up one dollar. Either inflation has reached levels that can be measured by the hour or they are doing this on purpose. I refuse to reward that kind of behavior.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dead_elvis wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 15:57 Fer chrissakes, this is like the third time I put something in my amazon cart, come back a couple days later when I have more stuff to justify an order, and the original item has gone up one dollar. Either inflation has reached levels that can be measured by the hour or they are doing this on purpose. I refuse to reward that kind of behavior.
My guess is that this is semi-intentional. Amazon has always done a lot of playing with marginal prices on an automated and/or computer-learning basis.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

I don't know if they do the same shenanigans with the wish lists, so it might be better to park things there than in your cart, which signals that demand for an item is up, so they might raise the price.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I figure with so much real time data and computers that there is a certain amount of demand pricing going on, but it also looks like they just want to gamble on you deciding that eating a dollar is worth your time to look for something else. Which is really shitty parasitic behavior.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

FWIW most anything that sits in my wishlist for any amount of time tends to decrease marginally in price
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 16:22 I don't know if they do the same shenanigans with the wish lists, so it might be better to park things there than in your cart, which signals that demand for an item is up, so they might raise the price.
Also save-for-later vs leaving it in your cart, signaling you intend to buy soon.

And my guess is that the price change is specific to you. This is something that Amazon has done for a long time, with tailored pricing based on individual customer behavior.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 18:35 In a thrift store a few days ago, I found an insulated travel drinking mug I bought to replace the drippy condensation-covered ice bottles I use for drinking ice-cold ice water at home. (In time I hope to upgrade to something much bigger, but this was only 99 cents and will work well enough until I find better -- especially since there are no 7-11 stores in all of Georgia, so Shem's suggestion I buy one of their giganto-gulp insulated mugs won't work. Double-especially since Amazon has none in stock.) The mug is the type with a "friction lid" (I think you call it), and a little sliding panel on top to expose or cover the drinking-hole. (The mug originally came with a reusable plastic straw to fit in that hole when the panel is completely open, but I discarded it.)

So, just now, I went to empty and refill the ice cube trays (producing enough ice cubes to keep me well-stocked in ice water takes a bit more effort than the old ice bottle method), then refilled the ice and water in my drinking mug. Went to my office, sat at my desk, picked up the mug to take a sip from the drinking hole ... and icy-cold water poured all over my pants and shirt because I forgot to seal/push down the friction lid.

Take off the wet clothes, put on dry ones, go ahead and wash the wet ones since it wouldn't hurt to do a load of laundry anyway. Sit back down at my desk, reach for my mug to take another sip of ice water ... and AGAIN icy-cold water poured all over my pants and shirt because I still forgot to seal/push down the friction lid. Which, this time, I did BEFORE taking off the newly wet clothes and putting them on the drying rack.

I am now wearing my third complete set of clothes, including socks and undergarments, in < 20 minutes.
FWIW, after a couple days of using this insulated mug to drink ice water I said "fuck it" and went back to using the ice-bottles despite their many downsides, because with the mug, the only way I could have enough ice for my drinking needs plus Jeff's was basically to have icemaking at the forefront of my mind at all times; the one time I forgot to fill the ice-cube trays before bed, the next day we had a near-constant ice shortage. (Well, I did; I made sure Jeff had enough ice to fill his drink-cup before he left for work). Still suffered through the "drippy condensation off the bottle" plus "the absorbent-stone coaster can't handle all of that moisture so I need to keep a veritable PILE of old washcloths underneath it at all times, and frequently exchange the damp cloths for dry ones" until two days ago when I stumbled upon a solution: while going through the little dry sink where I keep the "fancy dishes" plus extra utensils and other rarely used kitchen-related odds and ends, I found a couple of English bone china saucers without matching cups. Those are items in the category "I don't even remember where these came from, but probably in a box lot from my estate-auction-buying days," and I presumably saved them despite their orphan status because the china patterns are very pretty and ornate.

More importantly for my current purposes, they're the kind of saucers whose edges rise up enough that they're more like shallow little bowls than flat little plates. So now, instead of regular Thirstystone coasters I use those saucers instead; they're plenty big enough to hold that one-point-something liter frozen bottle, and their "bowlish" status means they hold all the runoff condensation quite well. Then, when the bottle is empty of water and contains only ice, and I have to go "top off" the ice-bottle at the kitchen faucet, I also carry the little saucer to the kitchen with me, and pour its collected condensation down the drain. I keep the saucer on my desk in a spot where, when I grab the bottle to take a sip from it, the bottle never, ever goes over the keyboard, so I needn't worry about condensation-drippings ruining my electronics.

I also have a new "specific item to look for in the thrift stores": right now I only have two bowl-ish china saucers, but if I'm to use them as coasters then ideally I'd like a minimum of four: one to keep on my desk, one by my spot on the couch, one for my spot at the table and one on my nightstand.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Some time ago -- before covid came to America, before it even evolved in China -- I made a very cool thrift-store find: a pair of blue morpho butterflies, each mounted in an antique-looking gilded-wood frame beneath domed/rounded glass. For awhile after I bought them, they were basically clutter -- first they were atop the marble-top "junk dresser" in the dining room, then they spent some time on a "junk shelf" in my office-room, until finally I cleaned/organized my room and put the butterflies away somewhere, a place where they'd be safe and protected from dust, breakage and sun-fading, but also would be out of the way and not-clutter until such time as I was ready to mount them on a wall somewhere, most likely as part of a cluster-display with the other framed butterflies and other iridescent-wing insects I have (all but one gleaned from thrift stores, and all packed in a sealed liquor-store box labeled "glass wall decor bug FRAGILE").

A couple days ago, it so happens, I took some wall decorations -- not the bugs -- out of boxes where they'd been since Virginia, and mounted them on the formerly blank spot of wall between my office door and Jeff's. Two of those decorations are little Renaissance-style portraits in small oval frames, and only after they'd hung there a couple of days did I recall those two blue butterflies, which IMO would actually look far better than the Renaissance pictures in that spot.

But, of course, now I cannot remember just where I put those two framed butterflies. I checked various storage-places where they might be -- the large plastic storage crate labeled "wall plates," the various junk-drawers in the marbletop, this cabinet, that box -- nothing. Nada. I have no idea where those butterflies might be.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

HDMI is a lot better than some of the previously ubiquitous video connectors, but it's still really annoying that's it's asymmetrical, but not in a way that you can easily feel or see at an 88-degree angle in the dark behind a television.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 16:39 HDMI is a lot better than some of the previously ubiquitous video connectors, but it's still really annoying that's it's asymmetrical, but not in a way that you can easily feel or see at an 88-degree angle in the dark behind a television.
Ayup. At this stage the only connectors I don't hate are lightning and USB-C.

Highway

Post by Highway »

lunchstealer wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 16:52
JD wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 16:39 HDMI is a lot better than some of the previously ubiquitous video connectors, but it's still really annoying that's it's asymmetrical, but not in a way that you can easily feel or see at an 88-degree angle in the dark behind a television.
Ayup. At this stage the only connectors I don't hate are lightning and USB-C.
I might start shopping for lighter / more flexible HDMI cables, because I'm tired of the cables arcing out past the side of the TV because they put the HDMI ports on the side. Plus, you try to bend them and I'm sure it causes some tension in the connector. I'm annoyed because it seems like the whole daughterboard for my LG OLED TV is failing, with HDMI 3 and 4 and the ethernet port on it. Devices won't handshake correctly in those ports, and sometimes the network connection goes down for the smart apps.
JD

Post by JD »

And this reminds me of something connector-related but less annoying: with the Mac Mini, Steve Jobs' hatred of visible cables, ports, buttons, and pretty much anything visibly functional finally reached its apotheosis, and every single port was on the back. So I just turned my Mini around to sit backwards on my desk...
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I never use my BoA credit card, which is why it took me more than a year to realize that they never sent me a replacement when the card expired. I went online to try and order a replacement, but while the main account page showed me my account, the replacement card page did not. So I decided to cancel my account. Another thing you can't do that online. I called the 800 number on the back of the card, which was out of service. I looked at the Contact Us page on the BoA website, which had info on how you could DM them on Facebook and Twitter, but no phone number. So I DDGd and found their customer service number on a third-party website. After some rasslin with the phone tree, I finally got hold of a person and closed my account. He sounded like a nice guy just doing his job, so I declined to unload on him my frustration about BoA's crappy customer service. That's what grylliade.org is for.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

A good friend of mine took it on herself to rearrange all my riding tack at the barn yesterday.

Naturally, I couldn't find half my stuff.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex