Petty annoyances

Highway

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2017, 22:12

Painboy wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 20:59
Highway wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 11:06
I found jury duty to be a fine experience, even being on a 2-day civil trial for a lawsuit which was exceedingly stupid on its face. It was kind of an interesting change of pace (sloooow), and since I personally didn't really lose out by doing it (professional privilege!) I was able to just engage with it without worrying about how it was hurting my job or my finances or anything like that.

If you can't slow down and let yourself just go with it, I can see how it could be the worstest ever experience.
Unfortunately as contractor not working means not earning. So it's kind of painful in couple ways. Also I don't see anyway I'll get chosen if I answer the questions truthfully from what I've heard.
The same would apply to me. The rub was that they didn't ask any questions. Just picked the first 7 people who were college educated (according to the defense attorney). The only questions were things like "do you know these law firms / medical providers" and "Do you have a bias in personal injury cases?"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Dec 2017, 01:13

I served on a child molestation trial and was struck from a personal injury trial. I was glad I was on the molestation trial, because I was one of the first saying “based on the wording of the law and the paltry evidence provided, there’s reasonable doubt.” Ultimately we did not convict, though it was a tough decision.

But yeah, I have cushy jobs with jury leave policies.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Dec 2017, 12:23

I'm borrrrrrred. :P Without meaning to, I ended up simultaneously between books, TV series, and weird things to read about online. I am in, like, a showhole of life.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2017, 14:15

Ellie wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 12:23
I'm borrrrrrred. :P Without meaning to, I ended up simultaneously between books, TV series, and weird things to read about online. I am in, like, a showhole of life.
There's always pr0n
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 16 Dec 2017, 16:39

Ellie wrote:
You caught up on The Expanse? The next book in the series just came out.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Dec 2017, 16:54

Ah! No! Although this may be one of those where David wants to watch it together so we have to negotiate a mutually agreed upon time.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Dec 2017, 17:08

Ellie wrote:
I have heard Dark on Netflix is good (subbed, not dubbed though).
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Dec 2017, 22:08

Ellie wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:17
Three hours at the dentist getting two broken teeth ground down, and as I'm driving home one of the temporary crowns pops right off.
Crown popped off again. This time it snapped in half. I'm not in any pain (the tooth had a root canal so it's dead inside, like Grylliaders) and I'm hoping I can just wait until the appointment on Friday to get the real crown on. It's a busy week at work and I don't want to take any more time off.

This is going to turn me into a jaded anti-dentite.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Dec 2017, 22:18

Jeez, you're having horrible luck with those crowns. Or with the dentist. Hope you get it fixed as easily as possible!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Dec 2017, 10:12

Buying the lab lunch today, for a little holiday cheer, from a really good diner across town that also delivers. Everyone ordered the usual burger or sandwich, except one. She ordered a petit filet mignon & side salad at like twice the price. I'm a little surprised at how annoyed this makes me, and also how petty I feel in complaining about it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 10:36

You should be annoyed. That's a dick move.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Dec 2017, 10:54

I think she might think I have a company credit card and that I'm just expensing it? (Hmm... 'expensing' doesn't seem to be a word, or I'm using it badly.)
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Dec 2017, 11:14

Ugh, yeah, I bet she does think that.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 11:50

Jasper wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:54
I think she might think I have a company credit card and that I'm just expensing it? (Hmm... 'expensing' doesn't seem to be a word, or I'm using it badly.)
"expensing" is totally a verb we use.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2017, 12:13

That ship sailed long ago. It’s a word.

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 12:51

Jasper wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:54
And even if you were doing that, it's still a dick move. Maybe it's different for my smaller company, but here most people realize that if the company's paying for something, it's coming out of our annual profit sharing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 15:28

Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:36
Oh fuck that noise. I don't eat hamburgers when I buy my own lunch. I don't feel the least bit ashamed for not shoveling slop into my face despite the fact everybody else is content to do so. If you resent paying for my petit filet mignon & side salad, don't offer to buy me lunch. I'm happy to pay my own tab.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 19 Dec 2017, 15:54

Warren wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:28
Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:36
Oh fuck that noise. I don't eat hamburgers when I buy my own lunch. I don't feel the least bit ashamed for not shoveling slop into my face despite the fact everybody else is content to do so. If you resent paying for my petit filet mignon & side salad, don't offer to buy me lunch. I'm happy to pay my own tab.
Except in this case, sounds like they do buy burgers when they buy their own lunch.

TANSTAAFL and all that.

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Dec 2017, 15:59

What did burgers do to you Warren
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 16:01

nicole wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:59
Most burgers are one step away from rooting through the dumpster.
Sandy wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:54
Except in this case, sounds like they do buy burgers when they buy their own lunch.
Oh.
That's different.
nevermind
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Dec 2017, 16:10

What did burghers do to your warren?
wdf15.jpg
wdf15.jpg (20.97 KiB) Viewed 400 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JD

Post by JD » 22 Dec 2017, 13:46

My health insurance provider's website SUUUUUUUCKS - or maybe I should say "websiteS", since they keep redirecting you to different ones. "Go to www.insuranceprovideronline.com for services! Then log in with your insuranceprovideronline account - well, actually you have to log in with your HealthNet account. Well, actually we changed the name to XentrixHealthServices, although there are still references to HealthNet all over the place. Oh, you wanted to file a claim yourself? That's actually at livebetterthroughxentrix.com, and then you have to log in with your HealthyLiving account, which may or may not be the same as your XentrixHealthServices account..."

Once you find what you're looking for, it's not awful, but finding what you're looking for is virtually impossible.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Dec 2017, 16:25

I next-day-aired some charger cables, and this is the ninth day they've been "out for delivery". On hold with UPS to find out WTF the situation is...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jan 2018, 19:35

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 17:54
Paperwhite is an excellent device. Pull the trigger.
I did!

I only just recently got around to using the thing, though, doing some light reading...and it's quite nice. The "display ads on the screen when not in use" thing is vaguely annoying, and I'm pondering whether to pay the $20 to disable those. It may be too petty for $20.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jan 2018, 19:38

Eric the .5b wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 19:35
Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 17:54
Paperwhite is an excellent device. Pull the trigger.
I did!

I only just recently got around to using the thing, though, doing some light reading...and it's quite nice. The "display ads on the screen when not in use" thing is vaguely annoying, and I'm pondering whether to pay the $20 to disable those. It may be too petty for $20.
If I keep the wifi off long enough on my ad-supported Kindle Touch, then it just runs out of ads and shows some random-y screensaver kind of page.