Petty annoyances

lunchstealer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Aug 2017, 12:03

Around here it tends to be during specific pledge-drive type fundraiser events. The local Walgreens (pharmacy, if they're not present in Canada) raises money for the local Children's Hospital once or twice a year, and there's some sort of Red Nose Day thing that raises money and/or awareness for some sort of bullshit that just makes me uncomfortable. I associate clowns with sadness and failure, so while creepy clowns are funny, all clowns are just poor life choices of one form or another, so I literally have no direct knowledge of what Red Nose Day is about. My cognition just shuts down as soon as it is mentioned. Anyway, it's usually done at the credit card pin pad thingy, and it's 'Would you like to donate $1 to blah blah save the blah?"

Grocery stores sometimes do it, and the big pet supply chains (PetSmart, Petco) tend to raise money for homeless animals or adoption services or whatever. But it's usually not round up to the dollar, but add-a-dollar.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Aug 2017, 13:15

Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Aug 2017, 13:28

Aresen wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 22:32
I do not know if it happens in the US, but here in BC, the grocery chains have all 'adopted' some charity.

To help raise funds, they ask customers if they want to 'round up' their total to the next dollar, with the funds being donated to the charity. (Victoria Hospice, Children's Hospital, SPCA etc)

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it raises huge sums of money for the organizations though the burden on the individual donor is minor.

OTOH, it is also the corporations grandstanding a bit, gaining glory and good PR at the expense of their customers.

On balance, I think it is a good thing, since it is entirely voluntary and supports causes that the customers themselves support.

But it still doesn't feel right.
I hate that crap and never donate when they ask, and I don't feel the least bit guilty. If they want to help the needy and reap the P.R. glory, they can donate their own scratch instead of basking in other peoples' money. If they want my donation, they'll have to do something for it, like at least match it. Otherwise, I'll donate elsewhere where I like.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Aug 2017, 19:46

dead_elvis wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 13:28
Aresen wrote:
I do not know if it happens in the US, but here in BC, the grocery chains have all 'adopted' some charity.

To help raise funds, they ask customers if they want to 'round up' their total to the next dollar, with the funds being donated to the charity. (Victoria Hospice, Children's Hospital, SPCA etc)

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it raises huge sums of money for the organizations though the burden on the individual donor is minor.

OTOH, it is also the corporations grandstanding a bit, gaining glory and good PR at the expense of their customers.

On balance, I think it is a good thing, since it is entirely voluntary and supports causes that the customers themselves support.

I hate that crap and never donate when they ask, and I don't feel the least bit guilty. If they want to help the needy and reap the P.R. glory, they can donate their own scratch instead of basking in other peoples' money. If they want my donation, they'll have to do something for it, like at least match it. Otherwise, I'll donate elsewhere where I like.
You are aware of who they'd get those matching funds from right?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Aug 2017, 01:34

Southwest just cancelled my flight so I follow the link they gave me to their rebooking site. There are only two flights left for tomorrow. I select one and I get the "Sorry our site is fucked right now." Now on the phone with them on hold (going on 30 mins now). This is turning out to be great start to the weekend.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Aug 2017, 10:53

Warren wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 19:46
dead_elvis wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 13:28
Aresen wrote:

You are aware of who they'd get those matching funds from right?
I'm somehow missing your point. If you mean that it's still my money if it comes out of their marketing budget, I'd say no, partly because (well, if we're referring to grocery stores, which I was) it's a low-margin highly competitive business. I don't think they have the leeway to raise prices just to fund that.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Aug 2017, 18:35

Painboy wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 01:34
Southwest just cancelled my flight so I follow the link they gave me to their rebooking site. There are only two flights left for tomorrow. I select one and I get the "Sorry our site is fucked right now." Now on the phone with them on hold (going on 30 mins now). This is turning out to be great start to the weekend.
They switched me to a later flight and apparently there is something going on in the northeast as SW keeps as they cancelled that as well. Ended up going through Expedia to get a two one way flights. First is a redeye but is also non-stop. I usually sleep through flights anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal. The return trip I ended up going through United (ugh). I guess we'll see how that pans out.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Aug 2017, 20:09

My computer is broken and it is too late to take it to the shop tonight so who knows when I will be fully online again. Grrrrrrr!

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Aug 2017, 23:06

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 20:09
My computer is broken and it is too late to take it to the shop tonight so who knows when I will be fully online again. Grrrrrrr!

You probably just got a little schmutz on the tongue or groove of the center rule. Does the cursor still move freely?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Aug 2017, 00:55

It won't boot.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Aug 2017, 09:04

'Won't boot' is one of the few problems that isn't easy for an amateur to diagnose. If you get a brief whirr of fans or drives before it shuts down, we could walk through a checklist, but 'no power' is probably a PSU or motherboard, and that's worth taking it to a shop.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Aug 2017, 17:21

Found a computer guy with a good reputation on Yelp and he says he can get it up and running again for what I consider to be a minimal charge. He thinks it is possible there was an automatic update going on when the power went off. That sounds implausible to me because the BIOS doesn't update automatically, but if he gets it running that's really all I care about.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Aug 2017, 13:54

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 17:21
Found a computer guy with a good reputation on Yelp and he says he can get it up and running again for what I consider to be a minimal charge. He thinks it is possible there was an automatic update going on when the power went off. That sounds implausible to me because the BIOS doesn't update automatically, but if he gets it running that's really all I care about.

The guy had it ready early the next morning. Everything seems to be in working order. That said, plugging in the mare's nest of wires under my desk is a pain in the ass, not the least of which because I'm neither as nimble nor as good at working in dim light (even with a flashlight) as I once was.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2017, 19:31

The USB-C hub I bought for my new puter just shit the bed.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Aug 2017, 16:23

I started arguing with someone on Reddit over something petty and they're acting really superior and I can't let it goooooo
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2017, 16:28

Gah is there no way to filter NFL stories out of Google News?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Aug 2017, 16:35

Ellie wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 16:23
I started arguing with someone on Reddit over something petty and they're acting really superior and I can't let it goooooo
Just reference the Kalam Cosmological Argument and make your escape while they are trying to figure out what you are talking about.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Aug 2017, 17:04

Canada killed the penny about five years back. Part of the deal was that transactions are now rounded up or down to the nearest five cents if you are paying cash (Credit and Debit Cards transactions are not rounded.)

So, if your total ends with 1, 2, 6 or 7 cents, it is rounded down to the 0 or 5 cents and if it ends with 3, 4, 8 or 9 cents, it is rounded up to the 0 or 5 cents. This does tend to balance out, so NBD, right?

Except I have this odd sense of being cheated when it is rounded up and a feeling of 'win' when it is rounded down. This came to a point the other day when I miscalculated the total in my head and, instead of being 2 cents over the nickel (and thereby having my transaction rounded down), I was actually 1 cent under (and had my transaction rounded up). Even though the final amount after rounding was still exactly the same, I somehow felt that I had lost. The id is a strange thing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Aug 2017, 17:33

I know Canada no longer mints pennies, but are they still legal tender? Can you spend five pennies in lieu of a five-cent piece, for example?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Aug 2017, 17:47

Jennifer wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 17:33
I know Canada no longer mints pennies, but are they still legal tender? Can you spend five pennies in lieu of a five-cent piece, for example?
You can take them to a bank for deposit, but stores no longer accept them. I am not sure whether that is because they no longer want to deal with them or because the penny is no longer considered 'legal tender.'

If you find granny's penny jar with $1000 in pennies in it, you have to take it to a bank and they will either pay you for them or deposit them. They will grumble a lot, though.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Aug 2017, 18:09

Aresen wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 17:47
Jennifer wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 17:33
You can take them to a bank for deposit, but stores no longer accept them. I am not sure whether that is because they no longer want to deal with them or because the penny is no longer considered 'legal tender.'

If you find granny's penny jar with $1000 in pennies in it, you have to take it to a bank and they will either pay you for them or deposit them. They will grumble a lot, though.

Hmm. I'm also curious -- though I doubt you'd know this off the top of your head -- in the US, pennies were minted from bronze (IIRC, 95 percent copper, plus something added to make an alloy) until mid-1982, when they switched to zinc with a thin copper coating, because copper prices were too high. Even now, a copper rather than zinc US penny is worth more than twice face value, for its metal alone. However, it is ILLEGAL to melt down these pennies for scrap, and also illegal to take more than X dollars' worth of pennies out of the country (dunno if it's $1,000, or $10,000, and I don't feel like looking it up), for fear that any such mass penny exporter would melt down these pennies. I wonder if Canada has similar laws, regarding older pennies minted from more than one cent's worth of metal? I would guess not, if pennies are no longer in circulation anyway.

Also, IIRC, it wasn't until 1967 that the US made it legal to melt down silver dimes, quarters and half-dollars for their silver content -- these coins were minted from silver through the end of 1964. But in 1965 and '66, presumably, there was this weird period wherein you'd almost never see silver coins in circulation, because most Americans who had them hoarded them, yet it remained illegal to melt them down and use that silver for more valuable purposes.

(Even now, in America, if you spend cash money and thus routinely get coins as change, 1965 quarters are VERY commonplace -- because they had to mint a buttload of them to replace all the previous years' silver quarters which people stopped spending.)

I know that any 1981 or earlier penny I come across is immediately removed from circulation -- no, I don't sell it to a scrap-metal dealer, but I stick it in a coffee can, betting on the possibility that during my lifetime, the ban on melting copper Lincoln pennies will be lifted. If I'm really hard-up for money then, I can sell them to a scrap dealer right away; if not, I'll wait until the others sell them for scrap, then mine will become rarer and have greater collectors' value. (Actually, the most likely scenario is that when I drop dead, whoever is stuck dealing with my stuff will find those coffee canisters filled with copper-penny rolls, and THEY will be the ones selling those pennies to a scrap-metal or coin dealer.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Aug 2017, 19:18

The US nickle has a melt value above five cents too.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Aug 2017, 19:39

Jennifer wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 18:09

I know that any 1981 or earlier penny I come across is immediately removed from circulation -- no, I don't sell it to a scrap-metal dealer, but I stick it in a coffee can, betting on the possibility that during my lifetime, the ban on melting copper Lincoln pennies will be lifted.
What would prevent you from melting them yourself? If you showed up with copper, how does anyone know it came from pennies, and not, say, from scrap wire or pipes?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Aug 2017, 20:05

dead_elvis wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 19:39
Jennifer wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 18:09

I know that any 1981 or earlier penny I come across is immediately removed from circulation -- no, I don't sell it to a scrap-metal dealer, but I stick it in a coffee can, betting on the possibility that during my lifetime, the ban on melting copper Lincoln pennies will be lifted.
What would prevent you from melting them yourself? If you showed up with copper, how does anyone know it came from pennies, and not, say, from scrap wire or pipes?
priori incantatem?

Seriously, to non-answer Jennifer's question, I don't know if there was/is a law against melting down Canadian coins for their metal content. I know that silver coins dating before some time in the mid-sixties did have a metal value higher than their face value. I, among many others, hoarded them. I eventually sold mine for a modest premium (I don't remember how much.)

As in the USA, the silver coins largely disappeared and were pretty well gone by the 1979-80 silver bubble.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Aug 2017, 21:03

During peak copper prices a few years ago, there started to be a push for some sort of proof of where you got your copper from, to try to fight against people just stealing stuff from construction sites and the like.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex