Petty annoyances

the innominate one

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by the innominate one » 11 Dec 2017, 09:17

Amazon Prime Video app for my phone doesn't work. Didn't work before the update, doesn't work after.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Dec 2017, 11:28

You call em?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Dec 2017, 11:45

Not yet.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Dec 2017, 12:52

I reallllllly wish DVRs came with some sort of "If the stupid football game runs late, we'll alter recording times so you don't miss your Fox Sunday-night cartoons" setting. (Actually, what I really wish is that stupid football games would air on a channel whose Sunday-night lineup I have no interest in watching anyway, but I'd settle for a DVR able to properly record shows.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Dec 2017, 15:17

Three hours at the dentist getting two broken teeth ground down, and as I'm driving home one of the temporary crowns pops right off.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Dec 2017, 15:39

Ellie wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:17
Three hours at the dentist getting two broken teeth ground down, and as I'm driving home one of the temporary crowns pops right off.
That's way beyond petty. :arrow: Internet sympathy :arrow:
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Dec 2017, 16:24

Oh, crap. Hope you can get that tended to right away, Ellie.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 11 Dec 2017, 17:23

Ellie wrote:
Thanks, I needed more nightmare fuel.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Dec 2017, 17:50

Ellie wrote:
Ugh. Did they send you home with cement? Do you have time to run back to the dentist's to get it re-set?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Dec 2017, 19:02

No cement -- the hygienist said if it came off I could use toothpaste to temporarily put it back on, but I can't seem to fit it back into place. I'm going in first thing in the morning to get it re-glued.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 12 Dec 2017, 17:39

A game which I helped Kickstart this past year was shipped to me and delivered in October. Since it is a gift for my wife, I hid it. Now, I can’t find it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Dec 2017, 22:28

Blargh. Just got a summons for jury duty. I've successfully avoided it the entirety of my life until now. How did they find me? Was it because I voted or something? Driver's license?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Dec 2017, 09:17

Get your Princess Leia costume ready.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2017, 09:44

I like Carlin's advice. Tell the judge that you'd make an excellent juror because you can spot guilty people just like that *snap*.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Dec 2017, 10:26

Painboy wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 22:28
Blargh. Just got a summons for jury duty. I've successfully avoided it the entirety of my life until now. How did they find me? Was it because I voted or something? Driver's license?
Depends on the state. Arizona pulls from both licensed drivers and registered voters. I'm at 13 years and counting here without a summons. I know people who get a summons like clockwork every 18 months.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Dec 2017, 10:28

Warren wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 09:44
I like Carlin's advice. Tell the judge that you'd make an excellent juror because you can spot guilty people just like that *snap*.
And take your toy guillotine with you.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2017, 11:06

I found jury duty to be a fine experience, even being on a 2-day civil trial for a lawsuit which was exceedingly stupid on its face. It was kind of an interesting change of pace (sloooow), and since I personally didn't really lose out by doing it (professional privilege!) I was able to just engage with it without worrying about how it was hurting my job or my finances or anything like that.

If you can't slow down and let yourself just go with it, I can see how it could be the worstest ever experience.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 15 Dec 2017, 13:07

I actually kind of liked jury duty, when I got to actually be on the jury. Just sitting around the waiting room all day is no fun, but actually going through the whole process of the trial is important and worthwhile, I think.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2017, 13:47

JD wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 13:07
I actually kind of liked jury duty, when I got to actually be on the jury. Just sitting around the waiting room all day is no fun, but actually going through the whole process of the trial is important and worthwhile, I think.
I found it interesting how sincerely appreciative everyone at the courthouse was in the belief that people showing up for jury duty are an important and critical part of the courthouse operation and cases getting resolved, whether by trial or settlement. And everyone acted that way from the judge to the clerks to the lawyers to the courthouse staff, and seemed very understanding that the jurors were all people who had to endure some measure of sacrifice to be there.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2017, 13:50

Highway wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 13:47
JD wrote:
I found it interesting how sincerely appreciative everyone at the courthouse was in the belief that people showing up for jury duty are an important and critical part of the courthouse operation and cases getting resolved, whether by trial or settlement. And everyone acted that way from the judge to the clerks to the lawyers to the courthouse staff, and seemed very understanding that the jurors were all people who had to endure some measure of sacrifice to be there.
It's different here.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Dec 2017, 16:55

Painboy wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 22:28
https://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/resources/

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 15 Dec 2017, 17:34

Highway wrote:
JD wrote:
That was not my experience - but then I bristle at being told what to do. I had much better things to do at work. The courthouse cafeteria food sucked but we were not allowed to go out. We couldn't read the paper or listen to the radio. I thought the judge was a condescending prick who bullied the defendant. The code enforcement officer who testified against the defendant was a dick (just doing my job - herp de derp). The instructions given to us by the judge precluded any other verdict except for guilty according to city code. I voted the guy guilty for storing building materials on his land - and I still feel bad about it after 15 years. I rode my motorcycle out to the guy's place afterwards to have a look for myself. It was not a habitat for vermin and the neighbor who called to complain was 1/4 mile away and if she hadn't torn down her fence and cut down the trees she never would have seen his truck with building supplies loaded on the back.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Dec 2017, 19:36

Highway wrote:
JD wrote:
The two times I've been on a jury (one week civil case and 3 mos of grand jury) this has been my experience. Grand jury was enlightening though. I love that we (myself and a fellow juror) spent enough time on a case, instilled enough doubt in the jury pool that we all agreed to wait over the weekend to vote for indictment. New evidence on Monday revealed that the "victim" was playing psycho with her husband hoping to obscure the fact she was getting some on the side.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Dec 2017, 20:59

Highway wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 11:06
I found jury duty to be a fine experience, even being on a 2-day civil trial for a lawsuit which was exceedingly stupid on its face. It was kind of an interesting change of pace (sloooow), and since I personally didn't really lose out by doing it (professional privilege!) I was able to just engage with it without worrying about how it was hurting my job or my finances or anything like that.

If you can't slow down and let yourself just go with it, I can see how it could be the worstest ever experience.
Unfortunately as contractor not working means not earning. So it's kind of painful in couple ways. Also I don't see anyway I'll get chosen if I answer the questions truthfully from what I've heard.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Dec 2017, 21:28

I was challenged by the defense lawyer the one time I got called for jury duty. Just as well, because when they brought the defendant in and read the charges (assault with intent to kill), I watched his body language. I looked at him and said to myself "Yes, he did it."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer