Petty annoyances

Stevo Darkly

Petty annoyances

Post by Stevo Darkly » 24 Mar 2011, 16:46

I thought for sure that we had a thread devoted to merely irritating things that were not awful or shitty, but just annoying, and not related to work or anything else specific.

But I can't find it, so I started a new one.

Current petty annoyance:

Robo-calls that were designed by people who don't realize that answering machines and voicemail have been invented. Consequently, they begin their robo-spiel during the answering greeting, before the "leave your message" beep, and I find truncated messages like these on my machine:

"--er line. For more information, call our service department. [clunk]"

"-- six oh five three two. Remember, it is urgent that you call us about this important matter. [clunk]"

(Fortunately, these calls are almost never actually urgent or important.)

For a special bonus, there are those robo-calls that apparently are designed to call you to see if the line gets picked up, and if it is, then they connect you to a live person -- but no one appears to have anticipated the possibility that the call might be picked up by my answering machine instead of me. So I get messages on my machine like this:

"--ing now! Please stay on the line while we connect you with a representative! [clunk] [brief "hold" music] [clunk] "Hello, Mr. Stephen Darkly? Hello? Helloooo? Hello? [clunk]"

It's not the calls themselves that are irritating, so much as the institutionalized, uncorrected stupidity that they represent.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

dbcooper

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by dbcooper » 24 Mar 2011, 16:50

On another forum I frequent posters frequently misuse bias in place of biased and dominate in place of dominant. Drives me mad.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Mar 2011, 17:04

Little kids following me around trying to pet my dogs. Yes. They're awesome. Now go away!

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 24 Mar 2011, 17:05

Pham Nuwen wrote:Little kids following me around trying to pet my dogs. Yes. They're awesome. Now go away!

They are awesome! Dude, can I pet your dogs?
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Mar 2011, 17:09

Stevo Darkly wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:Little kids following me around trying to pet my dogs. Yes. They're awesome. Now go away!

They are awesome! Dude, can I pet your dogs?
Stevo? Winner of the Internetz? Wishes to pet my dogs? Absolutely. Could you also autograph them?

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2011, 17:10

You call those dogs? By taking those animals into a public place, you are actively inviting small children to come pet them. If you don't like children petting your dog, get a dog that can eat a child.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Mar 2011, 17:12

dbcooper wrote:On another forum I frequent posters frequently misuse bias in place of biased and dominate in place of dominant. Drives me mad.
Yeah, that would irritant me.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Mar 2011, 17:12

Warren wrote:get a dog that can eat a child.
That sounds like a liability concern. I'll have to kick that idea to my lawyer and see what he says.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Mar 2011, 17:15

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Warren wrote:get a dog that can eat a child.
That sounds like a liability concern. I'll have to kick that idea to my lawyer and see what he says.
It's only a liability concern if he doesn't consume the whole child.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 24 Mar 2011, 17:17

lunchstealer wrote:
dbcooper wrote:On another forum I frequent posters frequently misuse bias in place of biased and dominate in place of dominant. Drives me mad.
Yeah, that would irritant me.
What's really irritate is when you read a message from some allegedly "experience dominate male" looking for a "submit female" for "some kinks funned and gamed."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Mar 2011, 17:18

Firefox 4 is fine so far except that they put the "open link in new tab" command in the right place, right at the top of the right-click menu. This would be fine, except that Firefox 3 had that command in the wrong place, under "open link in new window." Now I have to retrain my brain.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Mar 2011, 17:20

Hugh Akston wrote:Firefox 4 is fine so far except that they put the "open link in new tab" command in the right place, right at the top of the right-click menu. This would be fine, except that Firefox 3 had that command in the wrong place, under "open link in new window." Now I have to retrain my brain.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Mar 2011, 17:37

Hugh Akston wrote:Firefox 4 is fine so far except that they put the "open link in new tab" command in the right place, right at the top of the right-click menu. This would be fine, except that Firefox 3 had that command in the wrong place, under "open link in new window." Now I have to retrain my brain.
The webGL engine is causing epic memory problems on panorama/google earth type sites such as http://www.mapcrunch.com/gallery

Thankfully it can be turned off in about:config

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Mar 2011, 19:52

I hate the world.

http://www.guardian.
co.uk/uk/blog/2011/mar/24/ivows-royal-wedding-itunes-decca
iVows: Royal wedding will be released on iTunes

Classical label Decca to make recording of royal couple's marriage vows, which could top download charts
There oughta be a fuckin' law.

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 24 Mar 2011, 22:38

dbcooper wrote:I hate the world.

http://www.guardian.
co.uk/uk/blog/2011/mar/24/ivows-royal-wedding-itunes-decca
iVows: Royal wedding will be released on iTunes

Classical label Decca to make recording of royal couple's marriage vows, which could top download charts
There oughta be a fuckin' law.

I say we should declare our independence. We have to long suffered under the tyrany of the British Crown.
Last edited by Isaac Bartram on 24 Mar 2011, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Mar 2011, 22:40

Sounds good, I'll be ruler for life of NZ, you can take Oz.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Mar 2011, 22:42

dbcooper wrote:Sounds good, I'll be ruler for life of NZ, you can take Oz.
Cool, and I'll take that one pub.

EDIT: Though I s'pose I'd have to change my nomme-de-plume to lunchtaxer were I to take part in gov't.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Mar 2011, 22:45

Stevo Darkly wrote:Current petty annoyance:

Robo-calls that were designed by people who don't realize that answering machines and voicemail have been invented. Consequently, they begin their robo-spiel during the answering greeting, before the "leave your message" beep, and I find truncated messages like these on my machine:

"--er line. For more information, call our service department. [clunk]"

"-- six oh five three two. Remember, it is urgent that you call us about this important matter. [clunk]"
Got one of those 'Start when a live person answers robocalls myself the other day. The thing that totally pissed me off was that it wouldn't let me disconnect, so I held on long enough to get a live person. Turns out they were based in Cancun. They said they could only get me out of their automatic dialer if I gave them my number. Not an effing chance, amigo.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 25 Mar 2011, 08:03

za
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 09 Nov 2011, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Mar 2011, 09:58

Warren wrote:You call those dogs? By taking those animals into a public place, you are actively inviting small children to come pet them. If you don't like children petting your dog, get a dog that can eat a child.
+1
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Mar 2011, 10:05

Jasper wrote:
Warren wrote:You call those dogs? By taking those animals into a public place, you are actively inviting small children to come pet them. If you don't like children petting your dog, get a dog that can eat a child.
+1
Bah! Bah to you both!

*waves hand dismissively*

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 26 Mar 2011, 23:53

All I notice in this photo collection is how many lights are still left on.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Mar 2011, 00:07

Regarding Earth Hour, I'm sympathetic to the whole "Let's reduce waste and save the earth" kind of thing, but hate all symbolic gestures because people think making the gesture equals actually doing something. On the other hand, given that these are many of the same people who banned lightbulbs and dish detergent that actually works without your having to add trisodium phosphate to it, it's good for them to be distracted by meaningless symbolic gestures rather than continue pushing through their horrible legislation.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Mar 2011, 09:55

Jennifer wrote:Regarding Earth Hour, I'm sympathetic to the whole "Let's reduce waste and save the earth" kind of thing, but hate all symbolic gestures because people think making the gesture equals actually doing something. On the other hand, given that these are many of the same people who banned lightbulbs and dish detergent that actually works without your having to add trisodium phosphate to it, it's good for them to be distracted by meaningless symbolic gestures rather than continue pushing through their horrible legislation.
The irony of the whole thing is if you extend earth hour to say a week, nobody in america would be a green activist ever again.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Mar 2011, 12:55

Earth Hour is the equivalent of me saying "My God, I need to reduce my sugar intake," so when I had my usual two spoonfuls of sugar to my morning coffee I remove ONE sparkling white grain from the spoon first. Because I'm the kinda gal who Cares Enough To Make A Difference.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b