Warren wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 18:23
dead_elvis wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 17:51
Warren wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 17:40
dead_elvis wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 17:36
I wish my multimeter wouldn't use "COM". Just label "plug black lead HERE", or even label it ground, that would really help. The COM label means nothing to me and because I only use this thing maybe once a year I have to look up which lead plugs in where every damn time.
Maybe you shouldn't use a multimeter.
Or the solution is that I need to come up with reasons to use it *more* so I don't forget!

I don't think it's too much to ask to have something that does the basic functions of a multimeter, but with a UI that is more intuitive for non-electrical engineers.
COM is short for "Common". If that's confusing you, there are buzz-lights, continuity and battery testers for the tech challenged.
I wasn't confused by it, just annoyed that I had to look in the manual just to figure out which lead plugs where, which I wouldn't have needed to do if they had used the far more common "GND" or "—", even if that isn't as technically accurate as "Common". I've done a number of small scale electronic projects and if I did run across the term, the difference was obviously never crucial enough for it to merit it sticking in my memory.

But hey, there's a reason this is in "petty". Just having this conversation makes it more likely I'll remember next time.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 30 Aug 2017, 19:46

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 19:38
I wouldn't have needed to do if they had used the far more common "GND" or "—", even if that isn't as technically accurate as "Common".
Except that COM is the more common, neigh exclusive, designation (npi). I've never seen a multimeter that didn't designate it thus, and I've seen hundreds of different models.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Aug 2017, 20:02

Warren wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 19:46
dead_elvis wrote:
I wouldn't have needed to do if they had used the far more common "GND" or "—", even if that isn't as technically accurate as "Common".
Except that COM is the more common, neigh exclusive, designation (npi). I've never seen a multimeter that didn't designate it thus, and I've seen hundreds of different models.
You mean nigh or nay, not neigh, though it's nigh impossible, nay, actually impossible, to tell which from context, as is common with your comments, though not exclusive to your comments.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Aug 2017, 20:28

Warren wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
So I got curious and googled my previous multimeter that had given up the ghost. Sure enough, it had "COM" but it also had a "—" next to it, and the inside ring of the plug holes were color coded black and red. So that's why I never learned the abbreviation- I didn't have to because they made it intuitive.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Aug 2017, 20:47

the innominate one wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 20:02
Warren wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
You mean nigh or nay, not neigh, though it's nigh impossible, nay, actually impossible, to tell which from context, as is common with your comments, though not exclusive to your comments.
Uncle
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Sep 2017, 14:56

The people I board my horse with also sell fresh eggs (really good eggs, I might add.)

As a result, there are people coming by the barn throughout the day. Most of the egg-buyers are too f*****g lazy to park their cars off to the side. Instead, they pull up right in front of the barn doors, blocking them, which is a PITA if you have to lead a horse in or out while the car is there. Today, a lady parked her car so close to the door that the front license plate was almost inside the barn. "If my horse kicks your headlight in, lady, I am billing you for the vet call to ensure he didn't get any glass in his lower leg."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Sep 2017, 19:55

It figures that some British dude is trying to move my bag on a plane and claim that the space is his. Bitch a) Egypt ain't your colony anymore and b) I'm American and we own your asses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Sep 2017, 20:16

Is this an appropriate place for a yas queen?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 10 Sep 2017, 22:27

Mo wrote:
10 Sep 2017, 19:55
It figures that some British dude is trying to move my bag on a plane and claim that the space is his. Bitch a) Egypt ain't your colony anymore and b) I'm American and we own your asses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One time on a Red-eye to London this British dude fell asleep and kept putting his on my shoulder and looked at me with annoyance when I would wake him.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2017, 10:48

People who think their seat has guaranteed overhead space right above them are funny people who don't fly.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Sep 2017, 11:07

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Sep 2017, 20:16
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 11 Sep 2017, 12:07

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Sep 2017, 20:16
That would be digital blackface.

Video version:

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Sep 2017, 12:18

I think you mean digital dragface.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2017, 12:24

JasonL wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 10:48
People who think their seat has guaranteed overhead space right above them are funny people who don't fly.
What's funny is this was in a premium seat, so he should have known better, and he tried to say, "Your overhead is that tiny ass half bin*, while I get this full one." Which is actually the most British thing ever.

* I had a bulkhead seat
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2017, 12:54

Some flights don't even let you use the half bin cause the crew have stuffs in it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2017, 13:01

I know. I left it empty originally because that's what I assumed. I then moved my backpack there when I found out I could use it.

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Sep 2017, 13:08

Mo wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 12:24
JasonL wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 10:48
What's funny is this was in a premium seat, so he should have known better, and he tried to say, "Your overhead is that tiny ass half bin*, while I get this full one." Which is actually the most British thing ever.

* I had a bulkhead seat
cry-laughing emoji
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Sep 2017, 14:39

I think I'd be fixin to dig a canal in his Sinai after that second thing.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 07:44

The Google app is accessing my gmail and giving me helpful reminders in my notifications panel such as:
Capture+_2017-09-14-04-41-02.png
Capture+_2017-09-14-04-41-02.png (17.5 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Thanks, great! Except, don't read my fucking mail, and also, if you do, try to read it correctly. That's not the amount due, that's the balance. But don't read my fucking mail.

It just started this. Anyone know how to turn it off?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2017, 12:28

The gmail mobile app should not, repeat not, have the "save draft" and "discard" menu choices adjacent to each other. Discarded drafts should appear in the trash for recovery.

The Google app is now telling me about the weather, traffic, and the new Seth MacFarlane album. Here comes Skynet.

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Sep 2017, 13:10

If you have Google now disabled I believe that takes care of it? I've never seen it myself but I always disable Google now.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2017, 13:15

Thanks. I don't think I've ever actively activated Google Now, but I'll see if it activated itself during an update and if I can deactivate it.

JD

Post by JD » 15 Sep 2017, 13:29

My phone just started doing the same thing - weather updates and such - with no warning or explanation, although I'm 99% certain it has to do with a recently installed update.

EDIT: Found it. Open the Google app, tap the hamburger menu, tap "Settings", tap "Your feed", turn off the "Notifications" slider.

I feel like I can remember a time when Google was a company that basically made products but didn't try to shove them in your face, but it seems like there's been a change in company philosophy. I mean, who at Google said, "Hey, every person who has the Google app installed should definitely get alerts about the weather, their commute, sports, news, stocks, places, bills, elections, flights, price drops, and task reminders by default!"?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2017, 13:42

Thanks, I had found it, but at least the info is here for anyone else who experiences the problem. I should have posted under the techno bleg thread. Oh, well.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 16:31

No, thanks, Microsoft Store application. I don't think I will download an update named "name not available".