Petty annoyances

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Apr 2018, 15:08

About twenty miles away from home this morning I start to hear a scrapping or grinding sound from the undercarriage of the car. So I call AAA and they send out a guy with a flatbed tow truck and he finds a piece of re-bar wedged in not far from the radiator. Car seems okay when I back it out of the parking space to put it in position to be lifted by the tow truck and there were no noticeable fluids on the ground where the car was parked, but on general better safe than sorry grounds I decided to let him tow me and the car back home, lest I break down on the Interstate highway. I'll take it to our mechanic tomorrow morning so they can lift it up and take a closer look for damage. I was planning on driving to Austin tomorrow but now it looks like I'll need to reschedule. *sigh*

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Apr 2018, 15:37

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 15:08
About twenty miles away from home this morning I start to hear a scrapping or grinding sound from the undercarriage of the car. So I call AAA and they send out a guy with a flatbed tow truck and he finds a piece of re-bar wedged in not far from the radiator.
You called AAA without bothering to take a peek under the car first?
Sell your car. You are unfit for car ownership.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Apr 2018, 17:01

Warren wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 15:37
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
About twenty miles away from home this morning I start to hear a scrapping or grinding sound from the undercarriage of the car. So I call AAA and they send out a guy with a flatbed tow truck and he finds a piece of re-bar wedged in not far from the radiator.
You have obviously mistaken Mr. Ridgely for one of the proletariat.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Apr 2018, 18:57

Aresen wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 17:01
Warren wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 15:37
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
You have obviously mistaken Mr. Ridgely for one of the proletariat.
Allow me to rephrase.
You called AAA without having your driver taking a peek under the car first?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Apr 2018, 12:21

well played.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Apr 2018, 12:35

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
About twenty miles away from home this morning I start to hear a scrapping or grinding sound from the undercarriage of the car. So I call AAA and they send out a guy with a flatbed tow truck and he finds a piece of re-bar wedged in not far from the radiator. Car seems okay when I back it out of the parking space to put it in position to be lifted by the tow truck and there were no noticeable fluids on the ground where the car was parked, but on general better safe than sorry grounds I decided to let him tow me and the car back home, lest I break down on the Interstate highway. I'll take it to our mechanic tomorrow morning so they can lift it up and take a closer look for damage. I was planning on driving to Austin tomorrow but now it looks like I'll need to reschedule. *sigh*
that's unusual. any ideas how it got there?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Apr 2018, 12:53

dhex wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 12:35
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Sabotage by one of those vicious poors.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Apr 2018, 13:08

Andrew wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 12:53
dhex wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 12:35
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Sabotage by one of those vicious poors.
I was in Irving TX when it happened. The city is going full bore on highway construction as if the Roman Army needed it all finished by next week so they could invade somewhere. The result is construction and its debris right up against neighborhood side roads. My best guess is a dump truck or flatbed truck hauling debris hit some bump and some crap fell out.

It wasn't a thick rod, which is how I usually picture re-bar; it was a mesh of less than pencil thin wire in 6" x 6" squares, the entire piece I drove over was maybe 2' x 3' and it somehow wedged in the area of the front wheel well / axle / radiator area. I took the car to my mechanic this morning and he couldn't find any damage. There were no fluids of any sort beneath the car at the parking lot in Irving or overnight at home, so I think it's safe to drive to Austin, which is what I'm going to be doing later today.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Apr 2018, 13:54

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 13:08
I was in Irving TX when it happened.
Well there's your problem right there.

You have long standing connections to the DC area, this was an immune response.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Apr 2018, 14:07

Yeah, welded wire reinforcing steel is going to be a lot less of a problem than any sort of rebar. It's like a crappy net for your car.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Apr 2018, 14:12

Highway wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 14:07
Yeah, welded wire reinforcing steel is going to be a lot less of a problem than any sort of rebar. It's like a crappy net for your car.
I'd say it's the other way around. Rebar is guaranteed to sink in water and that's about it. It's thick soft iron. Those thin metal wires are stiff and can poke holes or get wrapped around and cut stuff.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 30 Apr 2018, 14:19

I wish Amazon Web Services would decide on whether to use "autoscaling", "auto-scaling", or "auto scaling". Not that it really matters which one they choose, but it's annoying when they're inconsistent within the context of the same command.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Apr 2018, 21:59

When moving to a country with different voltage, you realize how many fucking things you plug in and what you need to toss vs. get adapters for.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 May 2018, 00:33

My experience was that everything non-trivial (like all the laptops and serious electronics) was okay with the higher voltage, and I just needed a plug adapter. But the cheap stuff I'd have needed an actual voltage stepper.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 May 2018, 01:40

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I was in Irving TX when it happened. The city is going full bore on highway construction as if the Roman Army needed it all finished by next week so they could invade somewhere.
So Irving is pretty much unchanged from 1994?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 May 2018, 09:41

Jadagul wrote:
01 May 2018, 00:33
My experience was that everything non-trivial (like all the laptops and serious electronics) was okay with the higher voltage, and I just needed a plug adapter. But the cheap stuff I'd have needed an actual voltage stepper.
Not my TV.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 May 2018, 09:55

Mo wrote:
01 May 2018, 09:41
Jadagul wrote:
01 May 2018, 00:33
Not my TV.
Isn't that more than a voltage problem though. NTSC vs PAL. Or does that not matter anymore?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 May 2018, 10:05

From what I've read NTSC vs. PAL is not an issue with modern TVs.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 May 2018, 13:13

lunchstealer wrote:
01 May 2018, 01:40
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I was in Irving TX when it happened. The city is going full bore on highway construction as if the Roman Army needed it all finished by next week so they could invade somewhere.
So Irving is pretty much unchanged from 1994?
Except there's more of it.

Re: US v European electrical issues, better safe than sorry. First, of course, check the specs on what you already own, as an ever increasing number of appliances and electrical gizmos either have a 110/220 switch or switch automatically. Things that turn electricity into heat or light probably aren't worth taking overseas. Same with major appliances. Well, unless they're dual voltage and you have a very generous moving allowance. Even then, you're probably better off with dishwashers and clothes washers and dryers that hold 1/3 the load of American appliances and take three times as long. When in Rome....

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 May 2018, 13:22

I thought he was going to England, not Italy?

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 May 2018, 13:39

DAR still remembers when Londonium was still in Rome.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 May 2018, 14:36

Jasper wrote:
01 May 2018, 13:39
DAR still remembers when Londonium was still in Rome.
*shakes pilum at Jasper*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 May 2018, 18:41

Kolohe wrote:
01 May 2018, 13:22
I thought he was going to England, not Italy?
Last I checked, England uses 220v / 50Hz current same as Continental Europe. The plugs may still be shaped differently, which is why most decent converters come with multiple plugs.

ETA: Oh, "When in Rome..." I get the joke now. Hilarious.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 May 2018, 19:11

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir. ;)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 May 2018, 14:22

Once AGAIN there's no water coming out of the taps. As usual, I discovered this while trying to wash my hands after a visit to the bathroom. (Luckily, by now I know enough to keep several gallons of not-for-drinking water under each bathroom sink, in addition to the water in the fridge and the pre-filled bottles of drinking water in the storage closet.)

The water main break during the extreme [for Georgia] cold snap a few months back, I could understand. But it's currently 82 degrees out, sunny, without a breath of wind.

Granted, those similar conditions did not prevent another water main break down the road from us last week. I have literally experienced more water losses in the >2 years I've lived here than in my entire life before that. And previous losses were due to actual natural disasters, not "Apparently someone sneezed on a water main, thus breaking it."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b