Petty annoyances

Kolohe

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kolohe » 18 Sep 2017, 19:26

the innominate one wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:31
No, thanks, Microsoft Store application. I don't think I will download an update named "name not available".
It's the most accurately targeted marketing in internet history!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 19:27

Well played.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Sep 2017, 21:18

Kolohe wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 19:26
the innominate one wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:31
No, thanks, Microsoft Store application. I don't think I will download an update named "name not available".
It's the most accurately targeted marketing in internet history!
:D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Sep 2017, 14:48

Fuck converting between color systems. That is all.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Sep 2017, 11:53

Boo, Yellowjacket nest in the backyard, underground. It's always yellowjackets or bald-faced hornets here, never some easy paper wasps or mud daubers.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Sep 2017, 14:00

We get European hornets and cicada killers as well
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Sep 2017, 14:07

Highway wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 11:53
Boo, Yellowjacket nest in the backyard, underground. It's always yellowjackets or bald-faced hornets here, never some easy paper wasps or mud daubers.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Sep 2017, 15:26

dhex wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 14:00
We get European hornets and cicada killers as well
Yeah, I get those, too. Mostly the cicada killers show up at night to act out their death throes on the porch near the light. They buzz around for a couple hours, and then there are corpses on the ground in the morning.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Sep 2017, 15:46

They're very aggressive at the moment. I fucking hate nature.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Sep 2017, 17:13

Ha, ha.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Sep 2017, 19:18

Yeah I'm totally fucked. I'll give you a twenty to out one in my skull.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2017, 19:32

dhex wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 19:18
Yeah I'm totally fucked. I'll give you a twenty to out one in my skull.
Your money's no good here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Sep 2017, 19:57

I don't know what that means, but if I were local, I'd be happy to help for free.

It sounds like you can ignore the aggressive ones. They're male and incapable of stinging.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef004
Are cicada killers dangerous? Females have significant stingers which they plunge into cicadas to inject venom that paralyzes them. Without doubt, their stings are painful. However, they are not aggressive and do not have nest-guarding instinct of honey bees and hornets. You can walk through areas where they are active without attracting attention.
The buzzing noise that the wasps make and the warning colors on their wings and bodies intimidate and discourage predators that see them as a large meal. When attacked, females will use their stinger to protect themselves.

Males lack stingers but are territorial. They will approach anything that enters “their area”, including walkers, people mowing or using weed-eaters, or riding tractors. They may hover and challenge trespassers but are harmless. That can be easy to forget when staring down a big wasp.

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Sep 2017, 20:19

I am deeply phobic about those fuckers and their far more terrifying euro hornet brethren. I know the aggressive ones are sting less but fuck them anyway.

One of the soccer parents stepped on a female last week and two days later his leg was looked like he'd been failing at home tattooing (after Epi pen treatments). I'm allergic to bee venom and no idea on wasp venom and don't want to find out.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Sep 2017, 20:22

Well, that sucks. I understand your concern and fear then. Is spraying insecticide an option?

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2017, 20:36

Pro Tip: Put any form of petroleum (kerosene e.g.) in spray bottle and if you get the least little droplet on a wasp or hornet it will fall out of the sky and die. I was told it's because they breath through their skin/skeleton and suffocate. I don't know about that, but I've seen it work.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Sep 2017, 21:04

Yes, insects do their gas exchange through openings and tubes running through their exoskeletons.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Sep 2017, 21:13

I wonder if you spray them with a soap and water solution if that might not help deter them from hanging around. They are beneficial insects overall.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Oct 2017, 16:32

Love the "anonymous" survey I just took from my union, in which I was asked local affiliation, age, type of work, and zip code. This narrows it down from 80,000 to about 2 or 3 people, so no, your survey is not anonymous.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 08:20

I can't view nsf.gov, but apparently it's a problem unique to me.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Oct 2017, 08:23

We're libertarians, everything should be Not Safe For Gov, no?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Oct 2017, 03:57

After three years of living in this apartment, the ants finally found a way in. Now I actually have to keep the kitchen clean.

Bonus annoyance tonight: there's a bunch of ants crawling around in the kitchen trash can. But there's no ants going to or from the can, so I have no idea where they came from.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Oct 2017, 11:11

Diatomaceous earth is your pal.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

JD

Post by JD » 13 Oct 2017, 11:17

Jadagul wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 03:57
After three years of living in this apartment, the ants finally found a way in. Now I actually have to keep the kitchen clean.
Wait, how did the ants just now find a way in if they've been living in that apartment for three years? Also, when will the ants learn about dangling participles?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Oct 2017, 11:28

Damnit, JD, he's a doctor of mathematics, not grammar.