Petty annoyances

JD

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD » 04 Apr 2018, 13:57

Why do so many food products for sale proudly proclaim how few calories they have? That's why I buy food! I need calories to keep me alive! When I see something that says "Only 100 calories!" it makes me feel like I'm not getting my money's worth!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Apr 2018, 16:38

Welcome back, Taktix.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 12:09

Capitalism is bad because it gave rise to the use of "disruption" and "impactful." Also "utilize" instead of use. If you are not a biologist, you should never use "utilize."

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 12 Apr 2018, 06:31

Angus bulls are annoying assholes.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Apr 2018, 10:37

Tuco wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 06:31
It doesn't take much for bulls of all breeds to go well beyond annoying.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 12 Apr 2018, 11:31

The Amy Shark song "I Said Hi" has, in the first verse and repeated frequently through the song, the line "And all my veins pump blood into my throat". NO THEY DO NOT, ARTERIES DO THAT. Well, I guess even more technically it's your heart that does that, but it's definitely not your veins.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 13 Apr 2018, 06:33

Warren wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:37
Tuco wrote:
Scattering bulls in the wind right now, and I'm ready to start running yearlings. There never was a bull that wouldn't have made a better steer.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2018, 10:40

HA!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Apr 2018, 16:06

Seems like someone got a new phone, and is giving out the wrong number for it. I've gotten 4 calls from people obviously not wanting to talk to me.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Apr 2018, 17:01

Highway wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 16:06
Seems like someone got a new phone, and is giving out the wrong number for it. I've gotten 4 calls from people obviously not wanting to talk to me.
Send them all texts inviting them to a party at 'your' place. Tell them to bring drugs.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Apr 2018, 17:57

Every twit who term-drops "late-stage capitalism", especially the ones who only have a dim understanding of what that term was intended to mean.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 17 Apr 2018, 08:03

I installed the OS X Sierra update 10.12.6 yesterday. Despite it being billed as a "security update", Apple used it to try to push Safari, Maps, and Siri on me again.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Apr 2018, 20:01

JD wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 08:03
I installed the OS X Sierra update 10.12.6 yesterday. Despite it being billed as a "security update", Apple used it to try to push Safari, Maps, and Siri on me again.
I'm running 10.13.4 High Sierra without any problems. Safari et al. are there, but they're not being "pushed" in any way that I notice.

My problem with apple maps is that apple carplay won't allow google maps on my new car. Total FU.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 18 Apr 2018, 12:04

Warren wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 20:01
JD wrote:
I'm running 10.13.4 High Sierra without any problems. Safari et al. are there, but they're not being "pushed" in any way that I notice.
I had removed all of them from my Dock. When I installed the update, they were all back on the Dock again.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2018, 13:00

JD wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 12:04
Warren wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 20:01
JD wrote:
I had removed all of them from my Dock. When I installed the update, they were all back on the Dock again.
Oh, okay. That qualifies as a petty annoyance.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Apr 2018, 18:40

So, I have yet to make it past Question 10 on HQ. *sigh* Just a reminder, if anyone else here decides to sign up, mention me, DARidgely, and I get one free wrong question. Even if you don't want to do that, I'd appreciate others just checking it out and letting me know what they think.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Apr 2018, 20:56

Warren wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:37
Tuco wrote:
This and the discussion of PF McManus in the TITTFPWDD thread, remind me of one of his bits on classification of cows as applicable to fishermen.

The Great Cow Plot
All cows are fishing enthusiasts, although their idea of fishing might better be described as "Chase the Fisherman." ... As fishing enthusiasts, cows can be divided roughly into two groups: participants and aficionados. Another grouping I find useful is simply Fast Mean Cows (FMC) and Slow Mean Cows (SMC).

The SMC, mediocre athletes at best, are usually content to watch the main events between the FMC and fisherman (thus the expression "contented cows"). They participate only to the extent of doing everything in their power to ruin an otherwise good running turf, apparently in the belief that a slow field improves the spectator sport.

The FMC are frequently referred to as "bulls." The term is usually preceded by harsh but accurately descriptive adjectives. It is sometimes argued that "bulls" is not an appropriate term for FMC since some of them are known to give milk. I disagree. Upon hearing the shout "Here comes a ... bull!" I have yet to see any of my companions wait around to argue over the sex of the beast.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Apr 2018, 18:43

Ellie wrote:
31 Jan 2017, 18:50
Watching RuPaul's Drag Race just makes me feel so untalented and unaccomplished and lame.
This is still true except now it also makes me feel old.

Edited to add: especially when they say things like, "A reality show challenge? I was obsessed with the Kardashians when I was in high school!"
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 27 Apr 2018, 02:49

This month I had planned on purchasing a bunch of materials for recovering the floors in the house from Lowe's. Mostly because of a better selection for our area but also because I have a Lowe's CC that I haven't used in a bit. Credit monitoring just notified me that my CC account has been closed. The only email from the issuer in the last 3 months was, wait for it, this past Saturday and was a typical promotional email. No notification of impending closure.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Apr 2018, 11:33

Kwix wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 02:49
This month I had planned on purchasing a bunch of materials for recovering the floors in the house from Lowe's. Mostly because of a better selection for our area but also because I have a Lowe's CC that I haven't used in a bit. Credit monitoring just notified me that my CC account has been closed. The only email from the issuer in the last 3 months was, wait for it, this past Saturday and was a typical promotional email. No notification of impending closure.
That's effed up. I thought the same thing happened with my Sears card, but then I just got promotional mail*. Now that I think about it, the two aren't mutually exclusive. I wonder what would happen if I tried to transfer debt onto a card that had been canceled? Could prevail in court on the promo mail?

*Which offers me two options:
Option1: 0.0% APR on balance transfers till March 1 2019
or
Option 2: 0.0% APR on balance transfers till September 1 2019

Both options revert back to my 26% after the trial period.

I actually tried to figure out what the difference was for a minute. Then I remembered I don't carry balances on my CCs and wouldn't be taking either option in any case.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Apr 2018, 14:30

Petty annoyance for me, life-changing catastrophe for certain of my neighbors: last night a bit before sunset my internet and cable went out, and stayed out all night. (Literally all night: when Jeff and I went to bed around quarter of eight this morning, they were still out.) I went next door to ask if my neighbor lost his too or if it was just me; he said he also lost it, "probably because of the big fire." Of course I had no idea what he was talking about; come to find out the condominium complex next to my apartment complex -- literally the building next to mine, though a hundred yards or so away -- caught fire. A very bad one. (This building cannot be seen from my windows, though; if you're in my apartment you have to either step onto the balcony and lean far over the side, or just leave the building altogether, to see it.) In the final minutes of twilight, after this outage, I went to the mailbox cluster to check the mail, and that's when I realized just how bad that fire was: HUGE billowing black clouds coming up, and I could see the flickering orange glow through the trees. The road was closed for awhile (Jeff was out at one of his meetup groups, and I called to tell him to take the long route home), and the traffic light at our intersection was out. I am amazed we did not lose electricity along with the other utilities.

When I woke up today, the Internet was back but we had no running water. At least that latter wasn't an issue last night, else that fire might've spread far further than it did. (Water's been back on for a few minutes now, as I type this.) It is also fortunate, I suppose, that yesterday morning and early afternoon we had a pretty heavy rainstorm, which presumably soaked the kudzu field and the scanty copse of trees separating my complex from that one enough that stray sparks could not set them ablaze. Had the same fire struck during any of our previous "drought" scenarios ..... (shudder).

I hope the people made homeless last night have good insurance. And I hope that one person hospitalized with burns and smoke inhalation isn't TOO badly hurt, and that the burns either won't leave scars or at least won't be in visible places.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Apr 2018, 21:00

Jennifer wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:30
the building next to mine, though a hundred yards or so away -- caught fire. A very bad one.
Holy shit, it was even worse than I thought! It was NOT the building nearest mine, but the building on the far-opposite side of the complex, as far from me as you can get without leaving that condominium complex altogether. (In retrospect: duh! Were the building nearest me the one burning, I would have seen actual flames, not merely the flickering glow. But this was my first -- and hopefully last -- experience seeing a fire for real, rather than on TV.)

But if the glow was that bright, despite the fire being that far away from me -- Jesus, that must've been terrifying for the other people in that complex. And of course, every condo in that one building was destroyed; we had to drive past it on our way to run errands today. I'm no building inspector, but I wouldn't be surprised if that building were declared a total loss -- don't bother trying to repair it, just tear it down. I don't know how many people were made homeless last night, but -- crap, I DO hope they all have good insurance. And a place to go better than whatever shelter the Red Cross or whoever would presumably make available.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Apr 2018, 01:36

JFC. No wonder my little next-door fire didn't make the local news; this ALSO happened elsewhere in DeKalb County:

As massive DeKalb apartment fire raged, fire hydrants wouldn’t work

... As the harrowing details emerge about the mysterious blaze, one fact about the situation is raising questions: when DeKalb County firefighters arrived to 13Ten apartments, they couldn’t find a fire hydrant with enough pressure and had to locate another water source.

“Because the apartment complex’s private fire hydrants appeared to have low pressure, DeKalb County Fire Rescue hooked supply-line hoses to the county’s water main and hydrant system on Juliette Road,” county spokesman Andrew Cauthen said in an email. “DeKalb County Fire Rescue is examining the complex’s private hydrant system and records to ensure the system has been properly maintained and serviced.”

The case highlights an old issue. Fire hydrants in Georgia are owned either by the local governments or by private companies, and it’s the owners’ responsibility to keep them maintained. A message left for the manager of the apartment complex wasn’t immediately returned Friday....
I doubt anybody here owns stock in whatever company owns the 13Ten apartments in Stone Mountain, but if you do, I suggest you sell it now.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 29 Apr 2018, 07:44

Fire here, too. Up to about 40,000 acres now. Spent the last few days scrambling around cutting fence and trying to keep it out of the horse pasture. There are scads of State and Federal firefighters cruising around in vehicles watching, doing nothing, going home at night. I wish this were Anarchistan so we could fire them.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2018, 14:51

Where are you? Not in any danger of being burned out, I hope. But if you are, you might want to pack up your important papers, any cash you have, and other things fire insurance cannot replace, just in case you have to bug out on the quick.