Petty annoyances

Warren

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 21 Mar 2018, 02:17

Dangerman wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:25
Mix up some two part adhesive and fill out the dent?
Won't stick to stainless steel.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 21 Mar 2018, 02:48

Warren wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 02:17
Dangerman wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:25
Mix up some two part adhesive and fill out the dent?
Won't stick to stainless steel.
Bullshit. If you can paint a DeLorean you can use epoxy putty on stainless. You might have to rough it up but it's strictly a mechanical adhesion.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Mar 2018, 10:10

Yeah two-part epoxy will stick to anything that isn't teflon. I've also coated the bottom of metal items with a layer of ShoeGoo for a flat tacky surface, but that's an application with limited usability because the adhesive isn't nice and clean.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Mar 2018, 19:57

It's a pretty hearty dent:

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 22 Mar 2018, 11:43

I like the epoxy putty idea for fixing it, even if you just filled the depression in the bottom to give it more surface area.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Mar 2018, 11:44

Attach a Weeble Wobble bottom to it! Then it won't fall down.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2018, 11:52

I'm just not sanguine on your chances of getting a chunk of material to adhere to stainless no matter how much you abrade it. Worth a try I suppose.

It does look to be 12oz can sized though. I think the foam cozy is simple, cheap, and effective.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Mar 2018, 13:57

Ellie wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 11:44
Attach a Weeble Wobble bottom to it! Then it won't fall down.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It does look to be 12oz can sized though. I think the foam cozy is simple, cheap, and effective.
I agree that might suffice and is cheap enough ($.99 at the Circle K) to try. Also you can pick any color of camo you want (green, tan, grey, pink)!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Mar 2018, 14:00

So, this is only petty because I no longer make the commute to town but the only highway into Los Anchorage was effectively disabled by an ATCO trailer getting decapitated:
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchora ... -overpass/
I had planned on making a "fancy beer" run this weekend but I guess I'll have to hold off.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Mar 2018, 11:59

Ellie wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 12:23
I'm borrrrrrred. :P Without meaning to, I ended up simultaneously between books, TV series, and weird things to read about online. I am in, like, a showhole of life.
It happened again.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 12:19

Ellie wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 11:59
Ellie wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 12:23
I'm borrrrrrred. :P Without meaning to, I ended up simultaneously between books, TV series, and weird things to read about online. I am in, like, a showhole of life.
It happened again.
I thought the antics of their children was an entertainment horn of plenty for mothers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Apr 2018, 10:18

We’re having people over for Easter and this morning I have a migraine because it was only right that the whole day should be ruined, not just two-thirds of it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Apr 2018, 14:22

nicole wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 10:18
We’re having people over for Easter and this morning I have a migraine because it was only right that the whole day should be ruined, not just two-thirds of it.
A migraine ranks way higher on the misery scale than petty annoyance.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Apr 2018, 14:49

Andrew wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 14:22
nicole wrote:
But it was too hard to find the other thread before my meds kicked in lol.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Apr 2018, 17:30

nicole wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 14:49
Andrew wrote:
nicole wrote:
You have meds that help with migraines? I thought such things were complete fantasy.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Apr 2018, 17:44

Andrew wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 17:30
nicole wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 14:49
Andrew wrote:
nicole wrote:
You have meds that help with migraines? I thought such things were complete fantasy.
I do, with the caveat that I’ve only taken it twice since having it prescribed to me a couple months ago, and also that it’s really, really weird. It’s called zolmitriptan, and the directions are to take one when you feel it coming on, and another in two hours if the first hasn’t worked. Both times, I took it (orally disintegrating tablet), and then felt like I was tripping balls with a terrible headache for about two hours. At the two-hour mark, I’m miraculously cured.

Seriously.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Apr 2018, 17:53

nicole wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 17:44
I do, with the caveat that I’ve only taken it twice since having it prescribed to me a couple months ago, and also that it’s really, really weird. It’s called zolmitriptan, and the directions are to take one when you feel it coming on, and another in two hours if the first hasn’t worked. Both times, I took it (orally disintegrating tablet), and then felt like I was tripping balls with a terrible headache for about two hours. At the two-hour mark, I’m miraculously cured.

Seriously.
Very intriguing. I'm fortunate that my rate is down to 1-3 per year, but I'll have to look into it as something to have on hand.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Apr 2018, 18:09

Sumatriptan (Immitrex) helps mrs lunch, but it's one where even the generic has obscene markups. Apparently Costco will sell it to you at cost+margin (around $30 for a pack of nine pills) if you opt not to use insurance. With insurance we can only get three doses per month for a $15 copay. It's another of the take one when you feel it coming on and another after a short time if it hasn't subsided, so three pills will get you through one-and-a-half to three migraines. That's basically useless for a one month supply.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Apr 2018, 18:20

Yeah, my dr said something about this stuff being pricey so she gave me a very small Rx to try. It's costing me $10 per pill, but I've only needed one per migraine, of which I get a maximum of one per month.

That said, I only just started getting them with regularity last year, so I might be getting worse and that might become more of an annoyance.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Apr 2018, 19:57

My SO suffers migraines about once a month also. She has to rotate her meds though as, after a few months one will stop being effective (no, I don't know what they are).
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Apr 2018, 20:00

nicole wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 18:20
That said, I only just started getting them with regularity last year, so I might be getting worse and that might become more of an annoyance.
How long has it been since your last eye exam? I've been fortunate in that I've only had two migraines in my life, both within a few weeks of each other -- and both, it turned out, when my eyeglasses prescription was very out of date (though I didn't realize that last bit until I got new glasses and put them on for the first time--the older glasses still improved my eyesight, just not in the "right" way).

Anyway, if your migraines are increasing in frequency, it MIGHT be that an outdated eyeglass/contacts prescription is to blame.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Apr 2018, 12:57

I was going to Little Caesar's for a lunch combo today, not realizing that they were having a March Madness giveaway (because a #16 beat a #1, they were giving away free lunch combos). I get to the place, and usually there's nobody there, but today the parking lot is packed and there's a line out the door and around the corner of the building.

It's a 5 dollar lunch combo, people! I mean, it's a pretty darn good deal anyway, but I can't imagine the total productivity / value of time wasted by people waiting in line to get a 5 dollar pizza and drink special for free. At least they weren't letting anyone use the drive through, so few people were sitting in their cars with the engine running, but sheesh. Go another day! They're not giving out diamond rings!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Apr 2018, 16:44

Highway wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:57
I was going to Little Caesar's for a lunch combo today, not realizing that they were having a March Madness giveaway (because a #16 beat a #1, they were giving away free lunch combos). I get to the place, and usually there's nobody there, but today the parking lot is packed and there's a line out the door and around the corner of the building.

It's a 5 dollar lunch combo, people! I mean, it's a pretty darn good deal anyway, but I can't imagine the total productivity / value of time wasted by people waiting in line to get a 5 dollar pizza and drink special for free. At least they weren't letting anyone use the drive through, so few people were sitting in their cars with the engine running, but sheesh. Go another day! They're not giving out diamond rings!
It's amazing how many people value their time at zero. Or negative numbers, actually.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 04 Apr 2018, 12:04

That feeling when you take a non-desk job and get so hopelessly behind the thread conversations that you just ghost out for like 6 months...

...is petty annoyance.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Apr 2018, 12:19

Taktix® wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 12:04
That feeling when you take a non-desk job and get so hopelessly behind the thread conversations that you just ghost out for like 6 months...

...is petty annoyance.
As long as you touch base, you're safe.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT