Petty annoyances

Highway

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Highway » 18 Jan 2018, 17:31

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 15:29
Could be that they're flushing "We don't know this is safe" water out of the system after the pipe repairs. To shorten the duration of the boil-your-water notice?
This is what I was thinking too, as well as to provide relief for air in the main.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jan 2018, 18:19

I just got back from another trip to the Walmart Market (which I learned to my dismay is closing; they were already sold out of water and other immediate necessities, plus produce and perishables, but on the bright side I did pick up a few things I was to have purchased next week anyway, with everything 25 % off); by the time I got back Jeff said the water pressure had started coming back on, though still with lots of air bubbles in it.

Jeff found out a few more things, he said: the water main break happened somewhere on the actual apartment complex property, and the management called the county water people last night and they turned off the water to the property (all apartments, not just me) but they didn't come out until today. Due to the agreement between the property management and the county water people, I guess it's the property managers on the hook for the costs.

Things are getting back to normal now. I did learn some useful lessons, if I'm going to live in a place where sometimes, especially if temps get below freezing for any length of time, I must expect to lose water without warning.

I still have five unopened gallon jugs of "drinking" water I bought today for flushing; I put them under the sink in the bathroom where we shower, and are there just in case one of us should be caught showering when the water goes, and still need to rinse off soap or conditioner.

(And it's perfect timing that just a couple days ago I completely re-organized the bathrooms, so that for the first time ever, not only did I have everything neatly arranged in both bathrooms, I had lots of extra storage space, too. I just put five gallons of water under the sink/counter, and I'm going to add five more gallons from the clean, empty jugs I saved from the iced tea Jeff buys, yet the space under that sink still isn't even cluttered.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jan 2018, 18:21

Forgot to mention: given the location of my apartment complex compared to the road with the open fire hydrants (which by the way were all closed not long after, when Jeff and I drove there together on our way out to eat), I don't think the hydrants were connected to "my" water loss. Apparently around here, especially when days get and stay below freezing for any length of time (and last night the low dropped to 15), water main breaks aren't unusual. There have been some major ones for this storm alone.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Jan 2018, 10:10

Sorry, but I'm laughing at the idea of driving past multiple open fire hydrants to go buy water at Walmart to flush the toilet. Should've bought a couple of 5-gallon buckets.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Jan 2018, 14:04

So yesterday, my tale of woe starts when I go to the shop. I stick my key in the lock, turn and pull the key back out. The cylinder for the lock comes out with my key.

I get in the shop to find out there's no water. Suspecting a frozen or busted pipe, I go outside to shut off the water, but surprise! The shut off valve is frozen. After using a heat lamp to melt the ice enough to turn the shut off valve, I quickly ascertain that something under the house is leaking. Yay.

After the landlord sent his guy out this morning, we discovered there's a capped line underneath the house that runs the width of the house and is hooked up to nothing. It froze and shattered. Why is that line there? Who knows? Old houses are fun!

Needless to say, I didn't get a whole lot of work done yesterday.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Jan 2018, 16:45

USPS tracking is worthless. This is the second time I've had a package say "in transit, delayed" for 3+ days.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 22 Jan 2018, 17:29

Haha we’re having that rn too.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jan 2018, 22:38

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:51
If you don't have ads you just pictures of, like, the Brontes.
I finally sprung for that after getting tired of the goofy books and odd lamps they were hawking to me.

Now, I've got some B&W photo of a jumble of metal type. I find this pleasing, though now I want to figure out how to set the image.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 26 Jan 2018, 14:58

So, I need copies of my college transcripts. Apparently, in order to do this I need to remember my student logins from 15 and 20 years ago, respectively. That's not happening. So today has been a funfest of calling university help desks.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Jan 2018, 15:05

Calling? So gauche.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 26 Jan 2018, 15:50

the innominate one wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 15:05
Calling? So gauche.
Yes, but I am doing as my former educational institutions ask.

On the plus side, I have a lifetime .edu email address I had forgotten about so I can look all educational and stuff if need be.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Jan 2018, 16:02

I also have a lifetime .edu that is administered by my alma mater but is a Gmail account, with all the features thereto, except it also has unlimited Google Drive storage.

I also only mentioned the calling because my school has an online password recovery protocol in place.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Jan 2018, 22:23

I'm convinced my brother in law switched out the batteries in the Roku. Not to replace them. But to steal them for his man/child obsession with expensive electronics*. I know this because we only have duracells in the house and there are some kind of ... "signature" brand batteries in my non-working roku remote. And he doesn't have the decency to be embarrassed. The not being embarrassed part is what kills me. My sister in law is an asshole but jesus man don't fuck with the little bit of entertainment that calms the kids.

*which he can't afford but try explaining things like large future purchases** to this guy
**like a fucking house. these dudes need to move out and on
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Jan 2018, 22:26

So he stole your triple A's for some stupid thing he's got? Time to set a move out date...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Jan 2018, 22:30

Highway wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 22:26
So he stole your triple A's for some stupid thing he's got? Time to set a move out date...
Yep. Even the wife is getting annoyed with them this time around. Might be because sister in law keeps waking up Traveller at 4am to go work out with her. SHE SAID NO! IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! BE AN ADULT AND GO DO IT BY YOURSELF! IT'S OKAY TO DO THINGS FOR YOU BY YOU! GO AWAY!

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Jan 2018, 22:32

Highway wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 22:26
Almost forgot. He bought an $800 blue tooth set of some kind 2-weeks ago. I've already been warned not to talk to him about them.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Jan 2018, 22:34

That calls for a beat-down, not just a move out. Both the batteries and the 4 am wake up call. Hey, use a sock full of batteries for the beating. Make it a 4 am beating. Apropes!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 26 Jan 2018, 23:11

Andrew wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 16:45
USPS tracking is worthless. This is the second time I've had a package say "in transit, delayed" for 3+ days.
And now the package has basically vanished. The estimated delivery date was the 19th. No update since the 20th. Fuck you USPS.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jan 2018, 23:29

Andrew wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 23:11
Andrew wrote:
And now the package has basically vanished. The estimated delivery date was the 19th. No update since the 20th. Fuck you USPS.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 27 Jan 2018, 10:57

Well, that makes me question my plan to ship the things I can't fit in my truck by USPS.

Unrelated: would like pundits and others to stop saying Republicans control all three branches of government. The Senate and the House of Representatives are not two different branches of government. Republicans don't control the judicial branch.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jan 2018, 11:38

the innominate one wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 10:57
Well, that makes me question my plan to ship the things I can't fit in my truck by USPS.

Unrelated: would like pundits and others to stop saying Republicans control all three branches of government. The Senate and the House of Representatives are not two different branches of government. Republicans don't control the judicial branch.
They do if you count SCOTUS Justices by who nominated them. Which... yeah.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jan 2018, 11:43

Andrew wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 23:11
Andrew wrote:
I've never had this trouble with USPS. Their tracking isn't updated frequently enough, I sometimes receive packages that are listed as still being in another city. But they've been reliable, and economical.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jan 2018, 11:54

USPS tracking is just bullshit. You shouldn't ever bother paying for it. At best, they'll tell you something was delivered after it's delivered (or the day before they deliver it, because they lie like rugs about it to cover their ass from Amazon). They don't actually 'track' anything, it's just delivery notification that they tacked on to their list of services to look like they're competing with companies that actually do a mostly acceptable job of delivering packages. At this point it's a tossup whether I'd rather have LoserShip deliver my packages last mile than the USPS. You just gotta accept that they'll show up at 8:30 pm after the driver gets off their other job.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jan 2018, 12:17

Highway wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 11:54
They [USPS] don't actually 'track' anything, it's just delivery notification that they tacked on to their list of services...
No, I don't believe that is true. Packages are tracked when they are received and dispatched from intermediate locations.

ETA
USPS tracking.png
USPS tracking.png (182.04 KiB) Viewed 681 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jan 2018, 12:37

Yeah, I've never gotten that.