Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jan 2018, 12:43

USPS tracking is garbage. When I was still in Connecticut and got my first passport (due to the rule change requiring passports for Canadian visits). the post office reported that my passport and birth certificate had been delivered to my address. They hadn't. Eventually those documents turned up in a passport office in Charleston, South Carolina. (Which is, at least, in the same time zone as where they were supposed to deliver it to. By USPS standards, I suppose that's pretty good.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Jan 2018, 13:04

USPS tracking is worse than FedEx or UPS, but their package delivery is just as good (and maybe even more convenient if it's something that can't be left since the post office is 5 minutes away and not on the ass end of the city).

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jan 2018, 12:57

Yes OS, by all means I'll just sit here and wait for your goddamn kernel task because apparently you won't let me do anything else until you're done. Go on, I'll wait. No really, after you.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jan 2018, 20:58

Drove the 20 miles to my favorite local secondhand shop, got there at 5:50 (according to the car's digital clock), and discovered that they've changed their operating hours: instead of closing at 8 o'clock every night, they now close at 6.

Three or four more cars pulled into that parking lot, as Jeff and I walked back to our car and drove away. LOTS of disappointed would-be customers tonight.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Feb 2018, 13:30

Stressed at work, but can't stress-eat because I left my insulin at home.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Feb 2018, 14:21

Weight loss plan for diabetics.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 02 Feb 2018, 13:09

I see that Wikipedia has started having internal links provide a brief pop-up when you hover over them. I guess that's a way of keeping people from opening 20 zillion Wikipedia tabs, but it's kind of annoying, because it can happen by accident.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Feb 2018, 17:58

Just found my Talking Heads collection, Once in a Lifetime, in a box. Trying to rip it using Windows Media Player, as I have for everything else. It cannot distinguish among the discs. Disc 2 and 3 ripped with the same track names. I'm trying to correct them manually, but as I scroll through the tracks, the track that actually gets played keeps changing.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Feb 2018, 11:11

I am currently breaking in a brand new pair of riding boots. Starting at 30 minutes per day, I have to wear them every day until the leather stretches to become comfortable.

For now, DAMN THEY HURT.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Feb 2018, 03:07

Hmm, I'll just surf a little before bed.

A little more.

This is interesting.

One more click.

GOD DAMN IT NOW IT'S 2 AM
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Feb 2018, 18:38

Right now I assume this is merely a "petty annoyance"; if unlucky, it might because a HUGE BIG DEAL. Get this: Jeff and I left our apartment a bit after 1 this afternoon to run various errands. Got back a few minutes before 6 pm and found a form-letter note from the apartment management [whose office closed at five] on our door: there was a list of loud problem(s) discovered in our apartment home -- property damage, loud music, etc. -- they'd checked off "Illegal drugs." The note also said that "Today was the deadline to come to the leasing office and speak with the manager about the violation that you received on Thursday Feb 15th 2018. You have failed to do so and this will and can result in the termination of your lease. To avoid this make sure to come by the office by 12 noon Feb 20th 2018."

Needless to say we did NOT receive any violation notice on Feb 15 or any other day. (Which makes me wonder who did.) II wouldn't be quite so annoyed except that I'd already decided that tomorrow I need to go talk to the management regarding when the hell they're going to repair the bullet damage from the week before Christmas -- now that insect season is coming back, those holes through my front doors are like insectile superhighways.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Feb 2018, 15:34

Jeff went to the management office as soon as he woke up; there was a marshal there. Come to find out some woman did receive a package (and then the illegal-drug violation) in front of our door. The marshal said to Jeff "I don't mean to be rude, but what color is your wife?" and Jeff said "white with red hair," and the marshal agreed that no, that definitely wasn't me.

I knew it was all a misunderstanding of some sort, but -- what the fuck? So, if I were black (or if being white wasn't enough to make me massively stand out here), we actually might be evicted? Over something neither of us had a damned thing to do with??!

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Feb 2018, 15:41

That’s not all that shocking. They had information that it was a differently colored person so applied a simple exclusion test. Better than dragging everyone in for further questioning.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Feb 2018, 15:50

JasonL wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:41
That’s not all that shocking. They had information that it was a differently colored person so applied a simple exclusion test. Better than dragging everyone in for further questioning.
If Jeff and I worked jobs with regular nine-to-five schedules, we'd've had to take time off work to talk to them and avoid eviction. Because something potentially bad happened in the vicinity of our door? For all I know that "package" was perfectly legal (Okay, not likely in this context, but still within the realm of possibility). I'm given to understand that "violation" received in the 15th certainly was not an actual "I'm a cop arresting you" type of thing.

And, again, what if my race/appearance alone were NOT enough to make it plain I wasn't the person in question? We are to be presumed responsible for what happens in the vicinity of our front door, in places over which we do not even have any control?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Feb 2018, 15:53

Jennifer wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:34
I knew it was all a misunderstanding of some sort, but -- what the fuck? So, if I were black (or if being white wasn't enough to make me massively stand out here), we actually might be evicted? Over something neither of us had a damned thing to do with??!
JasonL wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:41
I suspect Jason's right about the exclusion, but I think you're correct to be disturbed about what might have happened if that basic exclusion didn't apply.

I mean, Hell, we've seen worse cases.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Feb 2018, 18:13

The more I think about it, the more disturbed by this I am. All I know for certain is: on the 15th there was a woman in the vicinity of my front door. Also, there was a package involved. (Was she carrying the package? Did she receive it from someone else? Did she hand it to someone else? I dunno.) Then somehow she received a "violation" which was credited to our apartment. I don't know exactly why there, either: did the woman herself say she lived here? Did the person/people who gave her the violation simply assume our apartment since it was the closest inhabited one?

And what exactly does "received a violation" entail here, anyway? Presumably it was from a security guard, not an actual cop with arresting powers. I doubt the woman, whoever she was, showed ID, identified herself or signed anything like when you get a speeding ticket; after all, the marshal asked Jeff what color his wife was, not what his wife's name is or does his wife have official ID or anything like that.

Turns out the apartment complex is now under brand new management; I guess the newbies didn't even know about the bullet damage to mine and Jeff's place. (Jeff filled out a work order detailing the damage, and also showed them the card the cop gave us that day with the case number and related info.)

Apparently the new management has been downright aggressive to the point of assholery;. (There have been a lot of other memos/notes left on our door these past few days, moreso than usual: reminders that any cars parked here must be street-legal and in running order, reminders that throwing garbage on the ground rather than in the dumpster can get you fined, nothing unreasonable -- until today's message instituting a 7:00 curfew for all kids under 18 in the complex and violators will face immediate termination of their lease NO EXCUSES!!!!!! I only put six exclamation points after the all-caps NO EXCUSES just now; the actual memo used 15.)

Also, today Jeff told me about how one of the security guys has been walking around with what looks like a police K-9 animal, which started barking when Jeff walked past it -- both he and my downstairs neighbor's husband agreed it was a "security theater" fake-drug dog.

I was talking to my neighbors -- the woman who lives downstairs, and the woman who lives next door (wife of the ex-cook now collecting disability for being legally blind) -- and after I'd given them a streamlined version of the relevant information mentioned here, including the implications of what could've happened if I were black, the two women agreed I'd be in deep, unjustified shit in that case, and then (since we were already discussing/complaining about the new management anyway) started sharing their own recent complaints, basically how they and especially their adult or adult-ish kids were getting shit for Existing While Black.

None of their stories surprised me, exactly -- everyone here knows about the existence of EWB, and the statistics about cops being more likely to feel suspicion toward one color vs. another, how "a street gang" can genuinely mean "three or more black guys congregated together," and my own take on 'white privilege' is "Yup, definitely a thing in America, and bad, but needs a different label" -- but while I've read plenty of complaints in news stories, and in quote-unquote black blogs and websites, not since my daily-newspaper days had I been directly told such stories -- and not since I was an undergrad had I heard them in a "social" (as opposed to journalism) context.

Short version: sounds like this is not remotely the first time I've lived here gotten off the hook for something I had fuck-all to do with solely because I am white; it's just the first time I have an actual paper trail showing which hook I'm too white to stick on. (I mixed at least two or three different metaphors there, but don't give a damn.)

And that woman with the package, whatever it was and whoever she is -- it's damned lucky she got busted for Doing Something With A Package While Black in the vicinity of my apartment as opposed to, like, 97 percent of the apartments in this complex, because my apartment is one of the few where "the occupants are white" will save your innocent ass from eviction proceedings, when "the occupants are completely innocent and don't even know WTF you're talking about" won't necessarily do it.

EDIT: CHanged the curfew from 9 to 7. Originally a misreading on my part, as the note starts by mentioning that the complex's "quiet hours" are from 9 pm to 7am, before mentioning the SEVEN p.m. curfew.
Last edited by Jennifer on 21 Feb 2018, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Feb 2018, 18:34

Feel like writing an op-ed?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Feb 2018, 19:13

That curfew sounds like a civil rights violation.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Feb 2018, 19:14

Kwix wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:34
Feel like writing an op-ed?

I'm working on a blog post (which is different from an op-end in that blog posts are done for free, whereas op-eds are paid).

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Feb 2018, 19:18

Jennifer wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:13
The more I think about it, the more disturbed by this I am. All I know for certain is: on the 15th there was a woman in the vicinity of my front door.
Come to think of it, I don't even know this much for certain -- I'd assumed she must've been in front of my place, which is why my apartment number was scrawled on the back of that threatening memo. But I don't know this for certain. For all I know she was on the other side of the complex property and pulled my number out of her ass.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Feb 2018, 19:19

Apologies for the triple post, but: forgot to mention Jeff is currently out at one of his meetups; when he gets back I'll ask him for more details.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Feb 2018, 16:06

Update: went to the office today. The "marshal" Jeff mentioned was there -- more security theater, due with a "Warrant officer" vest. I asked about the violation and how I could avoid getting more in future, and it did not end well at all. Woman accused me of being "sarcastic" when I asked her how I could avoid this in future. The "warrant officer" said he is the one who issued the violation because he saw a woman near my apartment, but when I asked how I could avoid future occurrences he said it was none of my business. Near the end, the woman said she was going to give me her email address, and I said that was a great idea because that way there would be a paper trail, and that's when she kicked me out of the office (without giving me her email address) and said I was going to be evicted. Jeff's there now.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 21 Feb 2018, 16:21

IANAL but have you looked over your lease agreement regarding "things that might get you evicted"? New management or not, there has to be grounds for eviction. Non-payment is obvious but there may, or may not, be things in your lease agreement that spell out what behavior is "eviction worthy".
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Feb 2018, 17:12

IANAL either, but I'm fairly certain "asking about violations" is not eviction-worthy. But it's obvious these people clearly are neither honorable nor acting in good faith. Among other things, the "warrant officer" outright lied in saying that we had NOT been threatened with eviction. (Side note in need of mentioning: when Jeff went there yesterday, he brought the paper with him, They took it and did not return it.) Today, the "warrant officer' asked to see that paper, and since I (obviously) did not have it, he denied it ever threatened us with eviction.

So, no, these people are not coming at this honestly.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Feb 2018, 18:56

Ugh. Best wishes with this idiocy, Jennifer.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem