Petty annoyances

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14809
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Eric the .5b »

Cynically, it's only treason if you lose. Though, there's probably overlap with people who wish we were part of a Greater Canada and an enlightened social democratic Europe that wouldn't have existed without the Revolution.

I prefer the whole "Civil War Participation Trophy" meme when it comes to Confederate monuments.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7502
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jadagul »

Painboy wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 16:06
Aresen wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:11
Lately, the line that 'The Confederates were Traitors' seems to be gaining a lot of traction. This is a line of thought particularly amusing for a nation that was founded on an act of treason, something the men in Philadelphia in 1776 were well aware of.

It annoys me because it adds nothing to the argument and only serves to demonize those on the other side. Hate the Confederacy for clinging to slavery, but the notion that a nation is 'indivisible' and parts of it can never leave if they choose to do so bothers me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. As well as being needlessly inflammatory it stretches out the meaning of traitor to a ridiculous extreme. A traitor is someone who declares for a side then at some point undermines or betrays that side for another. Benedict Arnold was a traitor, Robert E. Lee was not, whatever his faults as a human being.
That depends on how you define "side", no? Robert E. Lee was a military officer of the United States Army, swore an oath to protect the United States, and then sided with a force waging war against the US.

If you take the (relatively narrow) constitutional definition of treason, you get "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort." And Confederate soldiers very much did levy war against the United States.
Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 16:11
Cynically, it's only treason if you lose. Though, there's probably overlap with people who wish we were part of a Greater Canada and an enlightened social democratic Europe that wouldn't have existed without the Revolution.

I prefer the whole "Civil War Participation Trophy" meme when it comes to Confederate monuments.
Benjamin Franklin in 1776 wrote: "Treason, eh? Treason is a charge invented by winners, as an excuse for hanging the losers."

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 4561
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Painboy »

Jadagul wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 16:32
Painboy wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 16:06
Aresen wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:11
Lately, the line that 'The Confederates were Traitors' seems to be gaining a lot of traction. This is a line of thought particularly amusing for a nation that was founded on an act of treason, something the men in Philadelphia in 1776 were well aware of.

It annoys me because it adds nothing to the argument and only serves to demonize those on the other side. Hate the Confederacy for clinging to slavery, but the notion that a nation is 'indivisible' and parts of it can never leave if they choose to do so bothers me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. As well as being needlessly inflammatory it stretches out the meaning of traitor to a ridiculous extreme. A traitor is someone who declares for a side then at some point undermines or betrays that side for another. Benedict Arnold was a traitor, Robert E. Lee was not, whatever his faults as a human being.
That depends on how you define "side", no? Robert E. Lee was a military officer of the United States Army, swore an oath to protect the United States, and then sided with a force waging war against the US.

If you take the (relatively narrow) constitutional definition of treason, you get "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort." And Confederate soldiers very much did levy war against the United States.
Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 16:11
Cynically, it's only treason if you lose. Though, there's probably overlap with people who wish we were part of a Greater Canada and an enlightened social democratic Europe that wouldn't have existed without the Revolution.

I prefer the whole "Civil War Participation Trophy" meme when it comes to Confederate monuments.
Benjamin Franklin in 1776 wrote: "Treason, eh? Treason is a charge invented by winners, as an excuse for hanging the losers."
Well when Lee declared for the Confederacy his home state wasn't part of the US anymore as it had already seceded. If an officer today resigned his commission and accepted a post in the UK military for example, is that treason?

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25627
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer »

This is more "minor disappointment" than "petty annoyance," but: I have an old velvet jacket/blazer -- one of my nicer winter-grade "journalism blazers" I bought in Connecticut, which since became one of my favorite casual hoodie/windbreaker equivalent "chilly weather" overgarments ... until a seam ripped in the back, the sleeve came loose from the torso and you can see the lining show through. (This is a very old blazer, possibly older than I am judging from the style, the font used on the label, and other indicators). I'd figured that since it was merely a ripped seam rather than the fabric itself tearing, having it repaired would be rather easy; it's just a matter of, would the cost be worthwhile to me. But when I brought it to the cleaners today to get a price estimate, he took one look at the damage and said he doesn't think it CAN be repaired.

Looks like the ragbag is about to get a posh new occupant.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7502
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jadagul »

If he resigns his commission here to enlist with the UK in order to fight a war against the US? Yeah, probably.

Or like, it probably feels more right if he resigns his commission in the US army and goes and joins the Chinese or Russian army. That's not treason because China and Russia aren't levying war against us, but if they _were_, then yeah. And even as is, it's not _treason_ but it's also, like, nothing anyone should be comfortable about.

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20093
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Well, the point nonetheless being that his obligation as an officer of the United States Army had ceased (honorably, I might add) prior to acting on his decision to put his loyalty to Virginia ahead of his loyalty to the Union. Arguments about whether the states had a legal right to secede are ultimately pointless. (Besides, it's not as though several New England states hadn't previously toyed with secession.) Great Britain can continue to think of Washington, Jefferson, et al. as traitors if it wishes. We won. Had the Confederacy won, the remaining states in the U.S. would doubtlessly have continued to consider Lee, et al. traitors but it wouldn't really make any difference. Sovereignty is more often than not an extralegal issue decided by conquest or revolution.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25541
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Mo »

Jadagul wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 17:37
If he resigns his commission here to enlist with the UK in order to fight a war against the US? Yeah, probably.

Or like, it probably feels more right if he resigns his commission in the US army and goes and joins the Chinese or Russian army. That's not treason because China and Russia aren't levying war against us, but if they _were_, then yeah. And even as is, it's not _treason_ but it's also, like, nothing anyone should be comfortable about.
Or if he joined the Taliban.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25627
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer »

In a thrift store a few days ago, I found an insulated travel drinking mug I bought to replace the drippy condensation-covered ice bottles I use for drinking ice-cold ice water at home. (In time I hope to upgrade to something much bigger, but this was only 99 cents and will work well enough until I find better -- especially since there are no 7-11 stores in all of Georgia, so Shem's suggestion I buy one of their giganto-gulp insulated mugs won't work. Double-especially since Amazon has none in stock.) The mug is the type with a "friction lid" (I think you call it), and a little sliding panel on top to expose or cover the drinking-hole. (The mug originally came with a reusable plastic straw to fit in that hole when the panel is completely open, but I discarded it.)

So, just now, I went to empty and refill the ice cube trays (producing enough ice cubes to keep me well-stocked in ice water takes a bit more effort than the old ice bottle method), then refilled the ice and water in my drinking mug. Went to my office, sat at my desk, picked up the mug to take a sip from the drinking hole ... and icy-cold water poured all over my pants and shirt because I forgot to seal/push down the friction lid.

Take off the wet clothes, put on dry ones, go ahead and wash the wet ones since it wouldn't hurt to do a load of laundry anyway. Sit back down at my desk, reach for my mug to take another sip of ice water ... and AGAIN icy-cold water poured all over my pants and shirt because I still forgot to seal/push down the friction lid. Which, this time, I did BEFORE taking off the newly wet clothes and putting them on the drying rack.

I am now wearing my third complete set of clothes, including socks and undergarments, in < 20 minutes.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13723
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Highway »

The maker of our (wet) cat food changed their packaging from 5.5 oz cans (the 3 inch diameter ones) to 6.4 oz TetraPaks. And raised the price for a case (because it's almost 20% more food). The TetraPaks do close without having to use a separate lid, but that's the only way they're "better". And the closing part makes it so that next time you use it, you get cat food all over the handle of whatever utensil you're using to get the food out of the Pak. And instead of being recycled, they get thrown away when empty (although given the dubious benefit of recycling in general currently, this isn't much of a difference, but it's still between steel cans and trash).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19447
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Hugh Akston »

From what I understand from watching Toy Story 3, ferrous material is automatically recycled as part of the normal waste stream.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29651
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 16:55
From what I understand from watching Toy Story 3, ferrous material is automatically recycled as part of the normal waste stream.
And if you can't trust a talking plastic cowboy and spaceman I just don't know if you can believe anything at all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16952
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 17:00
Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 16:55
From what I understand from watching Toy Story 3, ferrous material is automatically recycled as part of the normal waste stream.
And if you can't trust a talking plastic cowboy and spaceman I just don't know if you can believe anything at all.
Talking plastic cowboy >>> POTUS
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18564
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 21:06
Warren wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 17:00
Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 16:55
From what I understand from watching Toy Story 3, ferrous material is automatically recycled as part of the normal waste stream.
And if you can't trust a talking plastic cowboy and spaceman I just don't know if you can believe anything at all.
Talking plastic cowboy >>> POTUS
*kicks pebble*

Image
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13195
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Ellie »

I've been watching a bunch of shows on YouTube with British survivalist Ray Mears. Last night I saw one called "the American Prairie" and got all excited because that's where I grew up and spent every day outside pretending to be Laura Ingalls. Anyway, I play the video and he's in the fucking Rocky Mountains! Yellowstone is not the prairie, you git.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29651
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 10:04
Yellowstone is not the prairie, you git.
Well struck old bean!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16952
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen »

Ellie wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 10:04
Yellowstone is not the prairie, you git.
True, but it's a lot prettier than the countryside around Wichita.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11977
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD »

I feel like this is new behavior, but I'm not sure. In MacOS Mail, if you do a search, the list of emails gets filtered as you type - you don't even have to hit enter. That's OK, but if you then decide you want to do a new search, as soon as you start typing, your old list of results immediately disappears. This really sucks if you want to do a new search based on the results of the last one.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29651
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 07:18
I feel like this is new behavior, but I'm not sure. In MacOS Mail
Not new
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post Reply