Petty annoyances

Jennifer

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Jennifer » 23 Aug 2019, 17:19

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 15:24
Warren wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 19:36
I invoke the 'This comment immediately follows the comment it's referencing' exception to the 'Quote or link must be provided when referencing another comment' rule.
I think if you'd said 'mower' in reference to the belt anywhere in the first couple of sentences that would've helped. If you click the 'jump to newest unread post' you won't see the above post without scrolling up.
Exactly.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Aug 2019, 15:13

Almost all the birthday cards in the Hallmark store for sisters presume the sender is also the receiver's sister.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Aug 2019, 16:13

Kolohe wrote:Almost all the birthday cards in the Hallmark store for sisters presume the sender is also the receiver's sister.
You’re not in West Virginia, are you? Cuz then you’d wanna look under spouse.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Aug 2019, 13:18

Everybody in my house but me (so far, knock on wood) has a lifelong incurable condition that requires medication. Unfortunately, it's medication with a "high potential for abuse". So that means I can't get anything more than 30 days worth at a time. So once a month, somebody has to schlep on over to the pharmacy and get the drugs. We can't ship them through the mail. Somebody might steal them and get high, you know.

I was never a fan of the WoD but the more I deal with the legal side of things the less comprehensible it all becomes.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 09:51

My ceramic salt grinder broke.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Sep 2019, 15:00

Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 09:51
Real talk you don't need to grind your salt, also the rocky sea salt isn't iodized so the government can't turn you into a gay frog.

That said, I like the IKEA spice mills.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Sep 2019, 15:02

Coarse kosher or maldon for the kid here. It's about size of flake more than anything else. Iodized is just too fine.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Sep 2019, 15:07

JasonL wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 15:02
Coarse kosher or maldon for the kid here. It's about size of flake more than anything else. Iodized is just too fine.
Yeah but you should be keeping that shit in a dish/pig anyways, right?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Sep 2019, 15:25

yup. Oink. Keep table grinders for pepper and salt but just the whatever kind. I try to make it so additional table seasoning isn't all that necessary.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 17:05

I use kosher for dry rubs. I use pink Himalayan for seasoning. I use iodized for boiling.
I put the kosher in a jar that once held green chiles. The sea salt goes in the mill (the mill goes in the S&P stand). And the iodized I pour right out of the cardboard cylinder.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Sep 2019, 19:38

Warren wrote:
Next stop, Margaritaville, no?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 19:40

Kolohe wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 19:38
Warren wrote:
Next stop, Margaritaville, no?
Some people say there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damned fault.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 05 Sep 2019, 17:05

Christ, but these Montessori hippies can’t run a school pick-up line worth a rat’s ass. The ghetto school across the way where the tr0gling was last year was bastly more organized than these clowns.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Sep 2019, 17:08

tr0g wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 17:05
Montessori hippies
They have an Instagram account. It's exactly what you expect.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Sep 2019, 18:54

tr0g wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 17:05
Christ, but these Montessori hippies can’t run a school pick-up line worth a rat’s ass. The ghetto school across the way where the tr0gling was last year was bastly more organized than these clowns.
The school traffic jams are one place where I get the geezer "Sheesh, Kids (Parents) these days!" head shake. When did we start needing a 50-car line clogging the local roads right at the start of afternoon rush hour at every school so that kids don't have to walk anywhere? I guess part of it is that Baltimore County doesn't have a bus fleet (my childhood was in Prince George's Co, in the middle of the court-ordered busing desegregation era) but I don't get why kids can't at leastwalk to the cars, instead of every freakin' car having to wait in line to get to where the kids are? The car is RIGHT OVER THERE. They don't even have to cross the street!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 05 Sep 2019, 19:08

The school won’t let the kids walk to the cars because safety. But they will, if you consent, let your kid walk or ride his bike home... because safety? HISD, as near as I can tell, does not offer bus service for the most part. So between the cluelessness of the school staff and the entitled parents, the pickup line is a shit show.

I would be less annoyed by this if our last school wasn’t a well oiled machine when it came to this aspect.

JD

Post by JD » 07 Sep 2019, 16:14

I got a new amp off Ebay. It arrived sans AC adapter, despite the seller saying in the description that the amp functioned fine and sounded great, meaning that either he did not bother to include the adapter or was just lying. The amp is in mint condition, so I'm not too worried, but buying a replacement adapter would make it almost as expensive as buying the whole amp new, so I'm pressing him for some redress.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Sep 2019, 17:28

They don't make locks like they used to. Your basic pin tumbler key lock uses cheaper parts and aren't machined as carefully and as a result they don't last as long. Keys jam or become increasingly hard to insert and remove, usually because the pins that must align just right so that the cylinder can turn and push the bolt back and forth become worn. For the second time in 12 years, I've had to get the front door deadlock, the lock that overwhelmingly gets the most use, re-pinned. Why not just get a new lock? Because re-pinning is cheaper and I'd still have to get the new lock re-pinned so I could use the same key on all the exterior doors in the house.

So anyway, rather than call a locksmith in to make an expensive house call, I took the front door deadlock off and drove to a well recommended locksmith shop some fifteen miles away. If you have the right parts, which they did, and know what you're doing, which they apparently did not, this takes around 15 minutes per lock. I spent somewhere around an hour and a half waiting around until three different employees monkeyed around with the locks and the last one, who apparently did know what he was doing, was finished. Total charge = $60 plus tax. A bit high, I thought, but what the hell. They give me my locks back, I drive home and guess what? They didn't return the latch, a little steel arm that actually turns the bolt back and forth when the key turns the cylinder. I hadn't noticed until I got home, natch, so after several calls back and forth, "Oh yes, it seems we did forget to give you back that piece... um, where do you live?" In fairness, the guy drove out and dropped off the missing piece, no charge. What should have been an hour's work, travel time included, for everyone involved, however, turned out to take up more than half the day. *sigh* But at least its fixed now.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2019, 18:36

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 17:28
They don't make locks like they used to. Your basic pin tumbler key lock uses cheaper parts and aren't machined as carefully and as a result they don't last as long. Keys jam or become increasingly hard to insert and remove, usually because the pins that must align just right so that the cylinder can turn and push the bolt back and forth become worn. For the second time in 12 years, I've had to get the front door deadlock, the lock that overwhelmingly gets the most use, re-pinned.
I've never had a lock less than 30 years old that needs fixed. But here in the house we turn the locks mostly from the inside without using a key. I've used the key everyday when I didn't have a garage, but that would be when I was living in apartments, and I expect they change the locks whenever a tenant moves out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Sep 2019, 18:52

Had certain weather patterns been a bit different, this would be a "major problem" rather than a "petty annoyance": my entire county has been under a boil-water advisory since yesterday morning, because a thunderstorm in one corner of my gigantic county the previous night temporarily cut power to ONE water-treatment plant. The advisory is still ongoing, though it might end tonight depending on how water samples perform in tests.

Meanwhile, a couple days ago I saw that we were smack in the middle of the possible-strike zone for what was then the latest tropical storm (Humberto, IIRC). So when Jeff and I went grocery shopping I went ahead and laid in this season's canned-food hurricane supplies, and made a note that next day I'd start filling the clean bottles and jugs I keep for emergency drinking water storage.

But of course, by the time I would've started filling those bottles, the boil advisory had already kicked in. Luckily, Humberto either fizzled out or stayed at sea and is definitely not my problem -- but if we were to be hit tonight or tomorrow I'd be kind of screwed: I only keep four or five days' worth of drinkable water on hand, because my standard hurricane prep plan is based on the idea that, since these storms always come with a couple day's warning before you get hit, that leaves me plenty of time to fill those bottles and jugs from the tap.

So it looks like my emergency-prep calculations need to be adjusted AGAIN, to account for the possibility “Maybe I CAN'T fill those jugs before a hurricane, because my current county has, objectively speaking, the shoddiest and most unreliable public-water system I have EVER lived under.”
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Sep 2019, 03:03

Looks like Humberto has already turned and is heading up the Gulf Stream, so you're off the hook for that at least. Yay?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Sep 2019, 03:45

Yeah, when Jeff and I got home from eating out (in the next county over, of course) and learned the advisory was ongoing and would last through the overnight, Jeff then checked the weather report and saw at least that Humberto wouldn't be an issue for us after all. Which was a relief, because that first "possibility cone" I saw had Atlanta not even on the edges, but practically in the center.

I really don't have the space to keep more drinking water on hand though -- those 40-something gallons' worth of empty liter and gallon bottles take up a lot of space, but they're also super-lightweight, so I can hang big bags of them from the wire overhead shelf in the storage closet. But of course I could never do that with forty-something gallons of actual water, and there simply isn't room to keep anywhere near that much on the floors or shelves.