Petty annoyances

Warren

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren » 12 Oct 2018, 12:41

JD wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 11:23
Holy Christ, I hate Lucene query syntax. "Hey, let's invent something kind of like either globbing or regexes, but not exactly either one! And let's let people kind-of-sort-of embed regexes in their queries, but not really complete regexes!"
Are you lost? Where. Do, You, Live? Ahbluh espanol? Polly voo fraunsay? Spraken ze doitch?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 12 Oct 2018, 16:52

Warren wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 12:41
JD wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 11:23
Holy Christ, I hate Lucene query syntax. "Hey, let's invent something kind of like either globbing or regexes, but not exactly either one! And let's let people kind-of-sort-of embed regexes in their queries, but not really complete regexes!"
Are you lost? Where. Do, You, Live? Ahbluh espanol? Polly voo fraunsay? Spraken ze doitch?
It's OK, you are not expected to understand this.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 16 Oct 2018, 13:43

I lurve it when people bitch about something that hasn't been done and you tell them you are waiting on info from them.
"Well, I sent you that 2 weeks ago."

I didn't get it. Resend it, please. Oh, you didn't actually send it? Hmm. Going to apologize now? No? Duly noted in the book of grievances.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Oct 2018, 20:37

I've been enjoying the show Good Bones on HGTV -- it certainly doesn't hurt that the younger woman is a super hot freckled redhead -- but the title really annoys me. To me it implies a house that might need some cosmetic work but that is fundamentally well-designed and/or well-built; yet every episode they're tearing down walls left and right, lifting the place to rebuild the foundation, etc. THE BONES ARE NOT THAT GOOD THEN
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Oct 2018, 10:41

Ellie wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 20:37
I've been enjoying the show Good Bones on HGTV -- it certainly doesn't hurt that the younger woman is a super hot freckled redhead -- but the title really annoys me. To me it implies a house that might need some cosmetic work but that is fundamentally well-designed and/or well-built; yet every episode they're tearing down walls left and right, lifting the place to rebuild the foundation, etc. THE BONES ARE NOT THAT GOOD THEN
I was watching that earlier in the year. Not so much lately, I'm not sure why. Ginger chicks do it for me too. I didn't pick up on the "we need to rebuild the foundation " vibe, but that's a valid criticism.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Oct 2018, 11:42

After I came home today I looked in the mirror and thought, “WTF, you’re dressed like a middle aged dad.” Two beats later, “Oh yeah, I am a middle aged dad.”
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Oct 2018, 13:16

Nods.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Oct 2018, 14:35

Mo wrote:After I came home today I looked in the mirror and thought, “WTF, you’re dressed like a middle aged dad.” Two beats later, “Oh yeah, I am a middle aged dad.”
Your ID card and cargo shorts are in the mail.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 19:40

Jeff brought his car in to the dealer today, because he's noticed a minor electrical problem he wants fixed lest it turn into something major, so of course I followed him there in my car, we both drove mine back home, and then he took mine to work. He just called me: MY car broke down too! Apparently leaking transmission fluid. Luckily we've got AAA, and he said he'd "take a cab" home (I recommended he actually download an Uber or Lyft app for that), and my car broke down only two or three blocks from where he works (AND he already called them, so his being late should not be a problem), but -- ugh, in the past day we've gone from a "two working car household" all the way down to "zero."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 20:15

AND I just discovered our home air conditioner is broken! AGAIN.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Nov 2018, 10:31

Fortunately, I got the garbage down to the curb.
Unfortunately, the garbage truck had already passed by.
Fortunately, we don't make a lot of garbage and can easily fit two weeks worth in the outside bin.
Unfortunately, next week is Thanksgiving and we won't be here on trash day.
Fortunately, we'll be gone four days and make even less trash than usual.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Nov 2018, 19:29

This is one of those weeks when I'd like to resurrect Steve Jobs just so I could punch him as hard as I can in his new liver. First, iPhone 5 becomes steadily more unusable due to deteriorating battery. No biggie, that happens, but of course not easy to replace. First try, got lines on the screen, second attempt just dead and several more disassemble-reassemble attempts didn't change anything. So I decide to reward their bullshit by buying an iPhone 7. I did a recent backup because it was wonky so I'm looking forward to the convenience of just restoring from backup. After a while, I want to listen to some music... You know where I'm going. Did I say I wanted to punch him in the liver? Actually I'd like to do some fingernail torture first, followed by the punching followed by running him over with a zamboni. Completely forgot about their fuckery in this regard.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Nov 2018, 21:02

And what the fuck is it with the "your password is expired and you need to change it" today. Then I get the "no previous password allowed" so I have to try and think of something I can remember instead of the standard ones I use (I know, I know, but it's only for all the non-mission critical accounts. Email and Banking get their own unique). I got this twice in two days now, is something in the air? Bloody hell, who's got time for this shit.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Nov 2018, 15:28

I miss old captchas. Fuck you, I don’t want to train your self-driving car.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 28 Nov 2018, 18:14

You would think that being gamers my roommates would be better at dishwasher Tetris. It's like they had a garbage can full of dishes and just dumped them in the dish washer, closed the door, and let her rip. Unsurprisingly there ends up being dishes not fully cleaned.

Jake

Post by Jake » 28 Nov 2018, 20:45

Painboy wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 18:14
You would think that being gamers my roommates would be better at dishwasher Tetris. It's like they had a garbage can full of dishes and just dumped them in the dish washer, closed the door, and let her rip. Unsurprisingly there ends up being dishes not fully cleaned.
It's strategic. They've read the Oatmeal.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

JD

Post by JD » 30 Nov 2018, 12:36

I ordered a guitar part online. It took about two days to get from Massachusetts to Brooklyn, and then it spent about three days in the hands of the USPS in Brooklyn...and then the USPS, as near as I can tell, just left it on the doorstep, so it has been marked as "delivered" but of course it is nowhere to be seen.

I was also talking to this guy who was really interested in buying a guitar I'm selling. He said he would have the money together by the 1st of December. Of course now he says oh wait, I don't have the money.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2018, 13:18

JD wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 12:36
I ordered a guitar part online. It took about two days to get from Massachusetts to Brooklyn, and then it spent about three days in the hands of the USPS in Brooklyn...and then the USPS, as near as I can tell, just left it on the doorstep, so it has been marked as "delivered" but of course it is nowhere to be seen.

I was also talking to this guy who was really interested in buying a guitar I'm selling. He said he would have the money together by the 1st of December. Of course now he says oh wait, I don't have the money.
I find it annoying when people who chose to live in a cesspit complain about the smell.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 30 Nov 2018, 18:52

Earthquakes that knock breakable shit off the shelves. Been cleaning glass all morning.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Nov 2018, 19:52

Kwix wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 18:52
Earthquakes that knock breakable shit off the shelves. Been cleaning glass all morning.
Glad you're okay though. Also isn't all your "glass" just technically frozen water?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 01 Dec 2018, 03:28

Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 19:52
Kwix wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 18:52
Glad you're okay though. Also isn't all your "glass" just technically frozen water?
No, no. Occasionally we freeze other clear things too!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Dec 2018, 22:35

A very liberal friend of mine has just posted a link to an item about a "Pet Psychic" who is going to appear on a news program tomorrow on the Global network. I knew my friend believed in that sort of crap, but I am very pissed with any network that presents this crap as 'news'.

('Global' is a small Canadian network.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Dec 2018, 11:32

I know we talked before about how the guy on Love it or List it looks identical to Ayn Randian. Now that he's gone off the deep end I can't stand to watch the show. Of course there's a marathon on HGTV right now and I don't feel like changing the channel
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Dec 2018, 12:27

Ellie wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 11:32
I know we talked before about how the guy on Love it or List it looks identical to Ayn Randian. Now that he's gone off the deep end I can't stand to watch the show. Of course there's a marathon on HGTV right now and I don't feel like changing the channel
Why does this give me glee? Like some guy in pressed denim convinces you to sell your house and buy this bigger house that you need for your bigger family and after you move you find out there's a clause in your mortgage that requires you to hang a family photograph over the mantle with the whole family decked out in Klan regalia and Milo Yiannopoulos has a ten year lease on your attic.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Dec 2018, 19:11

I shouldn't have snorted, but I did.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem