Petty annoyances

JasonL

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 13:56

Combination of things I think. She doesn't like most people tbh. She finds as she'd put it "girl stuff" a range of nightmarish (shopping for clothes would be one example) to childish (she finds the way most women she's encountered gossip and talk about relationships to be high schoolish). So she has always struggled with female relationships. She used to have all dude friends which, guess what, always turned into the same thing. She has no online presence so has never had a place like this. She has me, her family, the barn people and a few other people we've known for a long time most of whom aren't around here anymore.

Also, it is out of her comfort zone to seek out other people. She likes it when I bring some new people over for dinner every once in a while, but she isn't about to do that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jul 2018, 14:23

JasonL wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 13:56
She likes it when I bring some new people over for dinner...
leverage
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Jul 2018, 14:43

My wife is pretty similar, but doesn't even like to have anyone visit the house. She just doesn't care to spend the effort to be around other people in person, but kind of laments that she's bad at it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 14:52

I kinda wish my wife would drink more. She's on the side of the curve where it would be an improvement to her overall health I think. She's tightly wound and unforgiving of herself and doesn't cut loose as much as she should imo.

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Jul 2018, 14:54

Low dose edibles? (j/K but not entirely)
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jul 2018, 15:05

dhex wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 14:54
Low dose edibles? (j/K but not entirely)
Those are on the list of things to try before antidepressants or tranquilizers. Self medicating with alcohol is always concerning.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jul 2018, 15:43

Moderate drinking is fine if you're already feeling good and would like to feel better (or if you're with friends and want to loosen up a little, be quicker to laugh at their jokes or whatever), but using it because you feel bad and want to feel good, or seek to "fix" social anxiety thereby, is far more likely to lead to trouble.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 16:04

I think it's 85% loosen up a little and laugh at jokes sort of thing. She ... is not inclined toward chemical assistance of any sort. Probably an inescapable feature of her upbringing. Like - she won't take ibuprofen for a headache because she doesn't like the idea of pills. Like I said, she is not inclined to give herself a break and tends to view many things that are not character flaws as character flaws at least when applied to herself.

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Jul 2018, 09:00

Therapy? Serious suggestion.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Jul 2018, 11:06

Give it a couple years until it's more mainstream, then the two of you should take a guided psychedelic experience. One and done, professional guidance, no stigma about 'being a user', no hangover.

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jul 2018, 11:16

Yeah that would be killer actually
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Jul 2018, 11:28

or just eat a san pedro cactus!

(protip: don't do that. it's awful)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 10 Jul 2018, 11:36

Dangerman wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:06
Give it a couple years until it's more mainstream, then the two of you should take a guided psychedelic experience. One and done, professional guidance, no stigma about 'being a user', no hangover.
There's a peyote church in Arizona that does this. Pretty tempted to try it out.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Jul 2018, 11:51

IDK peyote, I'm a lysergic kind of fellow. I'm reading increasingly good things about psylocibin as well, especially for smoking cessation.

JD

Post by JD » 11 Jul 2018, 14:29

I have a bit of guitar electronics on Facebook Marketplace, listed for $75, which I think is pretty fair. The other day this guy contacts me, and it goes like this.

Guy: Is this still available? (note: this was almost certainly one of FB's preformatted questions)
Me: Yes, it is.
Guy: i got $40

I pause for a long time trying to figure out how to respond, or if I even should respond. I'm torn between ignoring him and saying "Great, then all you need is $35 more", or maybe "That's nice. I got a pedal that's worth more than that." Eventually I decide to be polite.

Me: That's rather less than what I was asking for. If you look on Reverb, you'll see that $75 is a pretty decent price.
Guy: oh well i only have $40

I guess "nothing ventured nothing gained" but I wonder how many people are going to say "Oh, OK, let me just give you a 45% discount then".
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Jul 2018, 14:34

Dangerman wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:51
IDK peyote, I'm a lysergic kind of fellow. I'm reading increasingly good things about psylocibin as well, especially for smoking cessation.
Very pro-psilocybin. I basically think everyone should take it once every couple years. EconTalk had Michael Pollan on just a couple weeks ago to talk about his new book, How to Change Your Mind, episode was pretty good. Though might be too basic for you.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Jul 2018, 19:37

JD wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 14:29
I have a bit of guitar electronics on Facebook Marketplace, listed for $75, which I think is pretty fair. The other day this guy contacts me, and it goes like this.

Guy: Is this still available? (note: this was almost certainly one of FB's preformatted questions)
Me: Yes, it is.
Guy: i got $40

I pause for a long time trying to figure out how to respond, or if I even should respond. I'm torn between ignoring him and saying "Great, then all you need is $35 more", or maybe "That's nice. I got a pedal that's worth more than that." Eventually I decide to be polite.

Me: That's rather less than what I was asking for. If you look on Reverb, you'll see that $75 is a pretty decent price.
Guy: oh well i only have $40

I guess "nothing ventured nothing gained" but I wonder how many people are going to say "Oh, OK, let me just give you a 45% discount then".
I think this is assumed in any such post. It's just my assumption that every price at a garage sale is 2x the final price.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Jul 2018, 11:53

So, I have just had another encounter with the 'shrinking package so it doesn't look like we are raising prices' scam:

Whipping cream used to come in (imperial) pint sizes: 568 ml
After metric conversion, the comparable size went to 1/2 litre: 500 ml
It is now a US pint: 473 ml

There are reasons that people want to put capitalists up against the wall.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 16 Jul 2018, 12:48

Amazon managed to lose my package. Can they send me another box with the exact same shit in it? No, sadly, they cannot. They can issue me a gift card and I can reorder it. It seems to me there's several steps in here that are unnecessary.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2018, 15:12

Went into the university library looking for a machine put money on a card to use the laundry machines. Person at the desk directs me back to where I walked in "between the sandwich doors", or maybe it was "sandwiched between the doors", not sure. I was rather baffled for a moment but walked back hoping I would see what he meant, and when I got there I realized he was talking about the foyer, which if he'd said I would have immediately grasped. Has foyer suddenly become a fancy Sunday word?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2018, 16:12

Did they mean that kind of thing where there are two sets of doors with a little space between them to keep cold/hot air from blowing into a large institutional space? I never really thought of that as a foyer.

But it's probably becoming a bit of a Sunday word just because with 'open concept' being the new hotness, having a foyer as a dedicated entryway area is much less of a thing nowadays.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2018, 20:11

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 16:12
Did they mean that kind of thing where there are two sets of doors with a little space between them to keep cold/hot air from blowing into a large institutional space? I never really thought of that as a foyer.
Huh. It would be amusing that I'm critical of declining vocabulary while mis-using a word my whole life.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Jul 2018, 20:38

I would have called the space between the doors a vestibule, but I might be using that wrong.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Jul 2018, 21:42

Airlock

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jul 2018, 03:01

Ellie wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 20:38
I would have called the space between the doors a vestibule, but I might be using that wrong.
Vestibule or airlock work. Vestibule especially if it sticks out from the building.

I mean, it's very foyeresque, so it's not the worst word for it.