Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jan 2018, 20:30

Highway wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 19:38
Eric the .5b wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 19:35
Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 17:54
Paperwhite is an excellent device. Pull the trigger.
I did!

I only just recently got around to using the thing, though, doing some light reading...and it's quite nice. The "display ads on the screen when not in use" thing is vaguely annoying, and I'm pondering whether to pay the $20 to disable those. It may be too petty for $20.
If I keep the wifi off long enough on my ad-supported Kindle Touch, then it just runs out of ads and shows some random-y screensaver kind of page.
I suspect it'll refill that when I turn on the wifi and synch new books, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jan 2018, 20:50

Oh, it would, but I never found the ads to be that much of a pain. I do have it in a folio case, tho, so the screen is not always visible.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jan 2018, 21:09

I can't imagine what kind of hell it must be to have to go through life having never developed the ability to ignore advertising. Like I don't even see what my kindle displays until I open it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Jan 2018, 22:51

If you don't have ads you just pictures of, like, the Brontes.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 05 Jan 2018, 23:45

So my dumb ass is late to a fucking funeral at which I was to deliver an eulogy. I also used the word "asshole" in the church. Yay, me. Got the poor son of a bitch eulogized and buried anyway, cuz that's what you do at these things.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jan 2018, 11:04

Sorry for your loss.
I dig funerals (npi). You get back in touch with people, reminisce, a little nosh, and maybe a little tipple.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 07 Jan 2018, 07:40

Funerals seem to be my biggest social function any more. Four in the last two weeks, coming home last night, I get a call that a kid who used to work for me ran his pickup into a canal outside of Gila Bend. I wasn't there and ain't the coroner, but I'm gonna call it now, the little shit was drunk and going too fast. Fuck, people, knock it off, I've got things to do, fer chrissakes.

And I don't know when the tradition started of a relative of the deceased having to write and then recite a piece of awful doggerel consisting of poorly constructed couplets approximately the length of War and Peace, but that's just got to stop.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jan 2018, 10:38

Tuco wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 07:40
I don't know when the tradition started of a relative of the deceased having to write and then recite a piece of awful doggerel consisting of poorly constructed couplets approximately the length of War and Peace
That does sound like it would be irritating to sit through. Is it more of a thing for people that died young, or do they do it for the elderly as well. My source of irritation is when they have some clergyman that barely said two words to the deceased when they were alive come in and deliver a sermon.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Jan 2018, 16:14

Because Google Play Store doesn't tell you how long items will be on sale, I missed the opportunity to buy a $10 book for $2 while I decided on whether I wanted it or not. I should have just bought it for $2.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 08 Jan 2018, 06:21

Warren wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 10:38
Tuco wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 07:40
I don't know when the tradition started of a relative of the deceased having to write and then recite a piece of awful doggerel consisting of poorly constructed couplets approximately the length of War and Peace
That does sound like it would be irritating to sit through. Is it more of a thing for people that died young, or do they do it for the elderly as well. My source of irritation is when they have some clergyman that barely said two words to the deceased when they were alive come in and deliver a sermon.
Bad poetry is everywhere.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 16 Jan 2018, 14:20

So, I got off my ass and sharpened all the kitchen knives* with my Work Sharp Ken Onion edition that I got awhile back. Immediately thereafter I cut myself on the back of my hand with one of my newly sharpened knives.

*I did not sharpen the serrated blades or the kitchen shears
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jan 2018, 18:43

oof sorry tr0g
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Jan 2018, 19:23

tr0g wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 14:20
So, I got off my ass and sharpened all the kitchen knives* with my Work Sharp Ken Onion edition that I got awhile back. Immediately thereafter I cut myself on the back of my hand with one of my newly sharpened knives.

At least you have evidence that you sharpened them.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jan 2018, 20:41

Andrew wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 19:23
tr0g wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 14:20

At least you have evidence that you sharpened them.
The week after I got a honing steel, I sliced open my thumb while prepping for a party.

This is when I learned to dry blades with a quadruple-folded cloth.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Yesterday, 00:51

Uh-oh--none of the faucets work.

It's well below freezing outside, though inside the apartment with the heat off it was 69. (I just-now turned on the heat, which was still set at 73 at Jeff suffered some mild fever-induced chills a few days ago.) I don't think the pipes could be frozen, since in addition to being 69 degrees BEFORE I turned the heat on, none of the pipes are against exterior walls. But -- no water in kitchen or either bathroom.

I just messaged Jeff, who pointed out it could well be a water main break. I just went ahead and turned the heat back off. Blecch, this sucks.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » Yesterday, 01:32

Ugh, best wishes.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Yesterday, 02:43

News reports that water mains in general have been breaking around the area, though I don't see any specific mention of my neighborhood. Still no water. I did already have almost a gallon chilling in the fridge anyway as a matter of course (after this, it'll be more); I also have bottled water should it come to that.

I don't have water stored for flushing toilets, though. Hopefully the water will be back on by the time I get up tomorrow. More than likely it will.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » Yesterday, 09:50

I was about to ask what your landlord had to say, but I see you haven't posted since the dead of night.
It sounds like they've shut off the water in the main in order to fix a leak which may not even be in your neighborhood.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Yesterday, 11:46

Ugh. Still no water and it's not just me -- definitely a main break, and no estimate for when repairs will be done.

I still have bottled water to drink and poured more to make coffee, and if I MUST go without showering right this second it's not too bad (it's not like this is the hot-sweaty season, after all), but I really want to flush the toilet.

The outdoor temperature just got above freezing and ice in the sun is starting to melt. If this keeps up another hour the roads should be good enough that I could go out and buy some cheap gallon-jugs just for a flush.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Yesterday, 11:59

Reminder: the disaster that left my neighborhood bone-dry wasn't a hurricane or tropical storm, no earthquake or tsunami or mega-drought or asteroid strike or nuclear attack -- it was ONE INCH OF SNOW.

Freakin' Atlanta, man.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Yesterday, 15:04

I just got back from Walmart, where I bought some gallon jugs of water for flushing. On the way there I drove down this one road that I'm amazed was still open to the public -- there are three or four hydrants along a mile or two stretch, and every hydrant is shooting water out of every hole, badly flooding that road.

Every time I go through a utility outage I learn something new, and here's this week's lesson: in addition to your regular three- or four- day supply of bottled drinking water on hand, and of course your supply of empty jugs to store a two-week supply of tap water in advance, keep a couple gallon jugs of water under your bathroom sink, NOT for emergency drinking, but for a couple of emergency bathroom flushes.

My downstairs neighbor said he observed that actual moment the water died, around eleven last night. I personally didn't discover it until a couple hours later.

Warren

Post by Warren » Yesterday, 15:07

Jennifer wrote:
Yesterday, 15:04
there are three or four hydrants along a mile or two stretch, and every hydrant is shooting water out of every hole, badly flooding that road.
WHY???
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Yesterday, 15:14

Warren wrote:
Yesterday, 15:07
Jennifer wrote:
there are three or four hydrants along a mile or two stretch, and every hydrant is shooting water out of every hole, badly flooding that road.
WHY???
Dunno. I'm going to guess it has something do do with my current lack of water, but cannot be certain.

Warren

Post by Warren » Yesterday, 15:18

Jennifer wrote:
Yesterday, 15:14
Warren wrote:
Yesterday, 15:07
Jennifer wrote:
WHY???
Dunno. I'm going to guess it has something do do with my current lack of water, but cannot be certain.
I mean, I'd probably make a couple phone calls, but I'd definitely make a FB post and YT upload.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » Yesterday, 15:29

Could be that they're flushing "We don't know this is safe" water out of the system after the pipe repairs. To shorten the duration of the boil-your-water notice?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL