DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TWICE ANNUAL GRIPE THREAD

Eric the .5b

Re: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TWICE ANNUAL GRIPE THREAD

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Nov 2017, 18:49

Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 15:16
That pretty much goes against all of human cultural norms. There's a reason why vacations are more frequently taken in the summer and things like summer Fridays are a thing.
Which does?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2017, 21:11

Longer work days during the summer and shorter in the winter.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Nov 2017, 21:40

Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 21:11
Longer work days during the summer and shorter in the winter.
How do you figure? Most cultures went by solar time for most of history, up until mechanical clocks got perfected. (And Japan went for even longer.)
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2017, 21:45

Afternoon naps are pretty common, not just in Spain, during summer hours because the heat is too oppressive for work during those times.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Nov 2017, 21:45

When 90%+ of everyone was growing food for a living (which was the world standard until about 1800) most everyone worked from dawn to dusk growing food and the off season hoping not to starve to death.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2017, 21:52

Agricultural work peaks in the spring (planting) and the fall (harvest). For example, the typical agrarian calendar had kids going to school in the summer.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Nov 2017, 21:58

Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 21:45
Afternoon naps are pretty common, not just in Spain, during summer hours because the heat is too oppressive for work during those times.
Depends on the climate, but sure.

What problem does a solar time scheme cause with naps? People weren't clocking out at five Western European Time in Spain hundreds of years ago .

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Mar 2018, 00:02

Oh, fuck. Here we go again.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Mar 2018, 12:30

Fuck this fucking bullshit.

That is all.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Mar 2018, 12:33

Remembering to set your clock ahead doesn't do any good when you just hit snooze for an extra hour. :-/
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Mar 2018, 12:40

Fuck DST and the horse it rode in on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Mar 2018, 14:36

Yup. I just got used to it being light when I left work and now it's going to be dark again!! At least for a couple more weeks. This is stupid.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Mar 2018, 14:40

Kwix wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 14:36
Yup. I just got used to it being light when I left work and now it's going to be dark again!! At least for a couple more weeks. This is stupid.
You work the graveyard shift?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Mar 2018, 14:54

Jeff at least had reason to welcome the changeover this year, since he works overnight shifts and thus last night's shift was for him an hour shorter than usual.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Mar 2018, 15:37

. Warren wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 14:40
Kwix wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 14:36
You work the graveyard shift?
Nope I work an 8-5 office shift. I see I mispoke, should have been "when I go to work..." That sentence will be correct in the fall though so no loss.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Mar 2018, 15:40

But mornings are for sadness. It is right and fitting that they should be full of darkness and uncertainty.

After work, one needs some brightness to do the things that need to be done for oneself and ones family.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Mar 2018, 16:12

I like DST and you can all go fuck yourselves. An hour. One stinkin' hour. Who the fuck cares? Of course, I admit that having no schedule helps. If you go to bed whenever you want and get out of bed whenever you want, the clock is less of a factor. But I had to be in the office at 7:30 in the morning for years and years and it never once bothered me that the clocks changed an hour twice a year. Honest to Gawd, people, get a life!

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Mar 2018, 16:13

I think what irks me is that I live around 61 degrees north and we are gaining 5 minutes of daylight/day In two weeks it won't matter one bit to the morning's commute except for the sun being right in my eyes again.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Mar 2018, 16:23

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 16:12
I like DST and you can all go fuck yourselves. An hour. One stinkin' hour. Who the fuck cares? Of course, I admit that having no schedule helps. If you go to bed whenever you want and get out of bed whenever you want, the clock is less of a factor. But I had to be in the office at 7:30 in the morning for years and years and it never once bothered me that the clocks changed an hour twice a year. Honest to Gawd, people, get a life!
You can't get a life until you get sleep. This is a fuck you you fucking fuck thing to say.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Mar 2018, 16:43

There's a lot more chatter from all corners I'm seeing about getting rid of shifting time. Since I'd be happy if we just stayed at GMT -4 I like seeing more about it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Mar 2018, 16:53

Warren wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 16:23
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 16:12
You can't get a life until you get sleep. This is a fuck you you fucking fuck thing to say.
And you all always get exactly the same amount of sleep all year long except the two times when the clock is set back or forward one hour, right?

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Mar 2018, 17:05

Highway wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 16:43
There's a lot more chatter from all corners I'm seeing about getting rid of shifting time. Since I'd be happy if we just stayed at GMT -4 I like seeing more about it.
I'd be happy if we all just went to GMT.
Since there's never going to be an agreement on which time in what zone, I really want the anti-shifting movement unite around "Next time half an hour and never again".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Mar 2018, 18:59

The sane part of the year, finally.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Mar 2018, 09:43

I slept in this morning because it was stupid and dark again.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Mar 2018, 16:10

Within the last year, Florida, Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts have all passed legislation or had recommendations that they permanently move to GMT -4 (Atlantic Standard Time). The main hold up now is going to be the history of Nixon's year-round DST and the fact that the US Congress needs to pass a law to allow it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."