DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TWICE ANNUAL GRIPE THREAD

Jadagul

Re: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TWICE ANNUAL GRIPE THREAD

Post by Jadagul » 07 Nov 2017, 06:13

I mean, the problem is that what I really want is for work to _start_ an hour after sunset. Because that's about when I actually wake up.

Non-DST is better for me because everything is an hour later relative to the sun. I'll take whatever I can, honestly, to push that further up.

But pretty much the entire point of clocks and times and schedules is to know when things are happening, and to have that take place with some regularity. So having the same measurement be a different length from day to day sounds really unhelpful. Like, are my class periods just shorter during December than they are during May?

And is .beat a term I'm supposed to be familiar with?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Nov 2017, 06:44

Why is base 12 supposedly superior?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2017, 07:14

Jadagul wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 06:13
I mean, the problem is that what I really want is for work to _start_ an hour after sunset. Because that's about when I actually wake up.
Then start work at some point after 0n.
Jadagul wrote:
But pretty much the entire point of clocks and times and schedules is to know when things are happening, and to have that take place with some regularity. So having the same measurement be a different length from day to day sounds really unhelpful. Like, are my class periods just shorter during December than they are during May?
Again, variable hours did just fine for those purposes. They only change in length by a fraction of a second a day. And yes, the hour lengths change with the seasons and will have different values in locations of different longitude or latitude. (Far more consistent variation than time zones, of course.)

For long distance coordination, you need a single, synchronized, universal system like...
Jadagul wrote:
And is .beat a term I'm supposed to be familiar with?
Swatch .beats, man. The future (back in the Thoreauic Age)! Internet Time! :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2017, 07:15

I will never understand why you all want it to be dark until the morning is half over. You’re already tired at night after work, that’s dead time!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2017, 07:18

Pish tosh. I want the day to start at sunrise, every day, right at 0d. I want the night to start right at sunset, every night, at 0n.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Nov 2017, 07:22

We should switch to Indian time.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2017, 07:30

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 07:15
I will never understand why you all want it to be dark until the morning is half over. You’re already tired at night after work, that’s dead time!
Cause you're probably stuck inside at work whether it's light or dark. And outside of work time, dark is much more limiting. So I like having more light time outside of work time.

I'm not on board with Warren's half-assed half-hour plan because half hour. Give me the full hour and move the whole US one time zone over towards Atlantic time.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2017, 07:32

Highway wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 07:30
nicole wrote:
Cause you're probably stuck inside at work whether it's light or dark. And outside of work time, dark is much more limiting. So I like having more light time outside of work time.
But that’s my point exactly. The valuable outside-work time is before work, before work has wrecked you. After work you drink (or better).

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2017, 07:35

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 07:32
Highway wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 07:30
nicole wrote:
But that’s my point exactly. The valuable outside-work time is before work, before work has wrecked you. After work you drink (or better).
Yah, no. Before work time is no. Even if you get up, the specter of work is still looming in the immediate future, putting a limit on what you're doing that's not "the sun going down". Plus the outside isn't suitable for most things in the morning because dew and no breeze and terrible sunlight. Morning sucks.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 07 Nov 2017, 09:06

the innominate one wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 06:44
Why is base 12 supposedly superior?
Divisible evenly by 2, 3, and 4.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Nov 2017, 09:15

We already have a system with those qualities, thanks to the base 60 system the Sumerians used.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Nov 2017, 09:16

Guys, there are already 96 hours in total. We have four simultaneous days.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Nov 2017, 09:41

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 03:30
However, why go decimal when you could go duodecimal?
David Watkins, is that you?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Nov 2017, 09:52

Massachusetts and Maine are looking to ditch DST and move time zones.

http://www.newsweek.com/hate-daylight-s ... -it-701687
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2017, 09:57

Mo wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 09:52

Good, let's spread that Atlantic time zone all the way down the east coast!

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Nov 2017, 10:05

Some other of the New England states have discussed going to Atlantic time. Massachusetts going along seems to be critical in whether that will happen. New York also weighs heavily in that decision, though they're not considering being part of the change.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2017, 10:21

Mo wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 09:52

What kind of asinine reporting is this?
Both Massachusetts and Maine are considering saying a permanent farewell to observing DST. In order to avoid the much dreaded practice, this would require the states to officially switch time zones from Eastern to Atlantic, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Uh...you aren't "required" to change time zones just to stop switching the clocks.
The idea was originally brought about in 2016 by Donna Bailey, a Democratic state representative in Maine. There’s an abundance of scientific research that has linked DST to harmful side effects, Bailey told the Los Angeles Times. Some of those harms include an increased risk of stroke, more heart attacks, miscarriages for in vitro fertilization patients, among many other undesirable complications.

“During those winter months, we have a lot of people who suffer seasonal affective disorder, and studies have shown that just giving that extra hour in the evening, as opposed to the morning, when people are sleeping, can make a difference in lowering the rates of seasonal affective disorder,” Bailey said, according to the Los Angeles Times.
So...it's NOT DST that has "harmful side effects"; it's standard time.

AND WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ASLEEP AT 7 IN THE MORNING?!? IT'S HARD TO WAKE UP IN THE DARK.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 07 Nov 2017, 10:39

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:21
AND WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ASLEEP AT 7 IN THE MORNING?!? IT'S HARD TO WAKE UP IN THE DARK.
So you want me to wake up earlier, when it's still dark?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2017, 10:50

Sandy wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:39
nicole wrote:
I want you to wake up earlier but have it be light because there's nothing wrong with standard time. The idea that people are not making use of/enjoying the light in the morning is cray. But I mean realistically I get up in the dark year-round. I need my me time.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Nov 2017, 11:53

the innominate one wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:05
Some other of the New England states have discussed going to Atlantic time. Massachusetts going along seems to be critical in whether that will happen. New York also weighs heavily in that decision, though they're not considering being part of the change.
I think Connecticut has to stay part of the NYC zone, or at least the western half.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 07 Nov 2017, 12:24

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:50
Sandy wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:39
nicole wrote:
I want you to wake up earlier but have it be light because there's nothing wrong with standard time. The idea that people are not making use of/enjoying the light in the morning is cray. But I mean realistically I get up in the dark year-round. I need my me time.
That's the thing. Early risers get up in the dark. But Standard time makes it so if I have a commute, I'm getting up in the dark and I'm coming home in the dark. I feel like I'm in a cave.

So if most people get up in the dark anyway, why not let them have a commute in the light in the evening?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2017, 12:45

I grew up in Edmonton (53° N latitude). From early December to late January, I did not see my house in daylight on work days. Coming and going in the dark is depressing as hell. If we'd had year-round daylight savings, I would have a least had a bit of twilight to come home to, even at midwinter.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Nov 2017, 12:49

Yet another source of unending strife and misery inflicted by that most vile anachronism, the time zone.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Nov 2017, 15:02

I mean, obviously the real problem is the degree of variation people have in circadian rhythm.

Nicole and I are _never_ going to be happy with the same time schedule, because I'm most alert in the middle of the night and would rather wake up at sundown and go to bed around dawn than the reverse. I'm an extreme case, but there's pretty continuous variation between "people who wake up at 4AM" and "people who wake up at 4 PM."

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2017, 15:32

Jadagul wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 15:02
I mean, obviously the real problem is the degree of variation people have in circadian rhythm.

Nicole and I are _never_ going to be happy with the same time schedule, because I'm most alert in the middle of the night and would rather wake up at sundown and go to bed around dawn than the reverse. I'm an extreme case, but there's pretty continuous variation between "people who wake up at 4AM" and "people who wake up at 4 PM."
And really, it doesn't matter what time the clock says to any of us, only that other people expect us to do certain things within a certain range of numbers on the clock. So it's not a clock problem, it's a people problem. I'd be fine with One World time, since then everyone would know exactly what time it is everywhere, no changing clocks. And then sunrise would be whenever it shows up at your horizon. It wouldn't change whether you'd need to know how far apart work schedules are. It's just kinda silly that we expect "daylight hours" to be kinda the same hours on a clock face for every human.