DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TWICE ANNUAL GRIPE THREAD

Aresen

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TWICE ANNUAL GRIPE THREAD

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2011, 16:38

Just so those of you who want to grumble about daylight savings can get it off your chest.

For the record: I like Daylight Savings Time.

(Please remember to reset this thread at the next time change.]
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Re: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TWICE ANNUAL GRIPE THREAD

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Mar 2011, 16:47

Aresen wrote:Just so those of you who want to grumble about daylight savings can get it off your chest.

What right thinking person would complain about daylight savings time? Oh, no, don't have actual sunlight after work, let's waste that sunlight when no one is awake.

I will grumble about standard time, which sucks ass, and is a symbol of everything that's wrong with America (and Canada).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Mar 2011, 18:13

lunchstealer wrote:
Aresen wrote:Just so those of you who want to grumble about daylight savings can get it off your chest.

What right thinking person would complain about daylight savings time? Oh, no, don't have actual sunlight after work, let's waste painlessly dispose of that sunlight when no one is awake.
Fixed that for you.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Mar 2011, 18:46

I'd just as soon they split the difference half an hour, then leave the damn clocks alone. Now that the clocks have moved ahead, sunrise tomorrow is supposed to be after 7 a.m. High school students, who are already fucked by society because the hours they're expected to be awake and intellectually minded are the exact opposite of how most adolescents' biorhythms actually run, are now going to be even MORE zombie-eyed the next few weeks, since they have to get up before dawn.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Mar 2011, 20:14

Jennifer wrote:I'd just as soon they split the difference half an hour, then leave the damn clocks alone. Now that the clocks have moved ahead, sunrise tomorrow is supposed to be after 7 a.m. High school students, who are already fucked by society because the hours they're expected to be awake and intellectually minded are the exact opposite of how most adolescents' biorhythms actually run, are now going to be even MORE zombie-eyed the next few weeks, since they have to get up before dawn.
Yeah, but high school students are the worst people in the world. Well, except for prison guards.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Mar 2011, 00:40

Daylight savings is the work of communists and fascists. Those that speak favorably of it are demonic spawn.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2011, 01:17

In the past 9 days I have:
1) Caught a red eye flight to the east coast
2) Gotten up early every morning on the east coast
3) Flown back to the west coast late at night
4) Gotten up early to teach 2 days on the west coast
5) Gone through a time shift

At this point, I have no fucking clue what time it is.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Mar 2011, 01:41

thoreau wrote:In the past 9 days I have:

It's July 8th, 1947, and the alien they found in Roswell, NM is YOU!
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Mar 2011, 02:36

Warren wrote:Daylight savings is the work of communists and fascists. Those that speak favorably of it are demonic spawn.
No. Changing the time is the work of the fascists. But if you're never going to change time, you have pick a time. And the only argument in favor of standard time is because it makes teenagers lives better at the expense of everyone else. The argument in favor of daylight time is that come fall back time, everyone in the entire world complains about how all of a sudden they have to go home after dark and everything sucks. Seriously, everyone gets to sleep in an hour later than they would have the day before, but there's something that sucks so bad that extra sleep can't help.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Mar 2011, 02:51

I LOVE it when we turn the clocks back one hour in the fall. I can use that extra hour, especially in the fall. Hopefully, to sleep.

But screw this deal in the spring where we turn the clocks ahead one hour. I need that hour to sleep.

I propose instead that in the spring, we turn the clock back again -- but this time we turn it back by 23 hours. This gives us an extra 23-day that we can insert between Saturday and Sunday of this weekend, and we can call it "Sleepday."

And how do we properly observe Sleepday? You guessed it.

It's too late for this year, but we can get the alternate arrangement place for next year. Let's go! FIX IT.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 14 Mar 2011, 08:15

Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 09 Nov 2011, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Mar 2011, 08:52

Stevo Darkly wrote:I LOVE it when we turn the clocks back one hour in the fall. I can use that extra hour, especially in the fall. Hopefully, to sleep.

But screw this deal in the spring where we turn the clocks ahead one hour. I need that hour to sleep.

I propose instead that in the spring, we turn the clock back again -- but this time we turn it back by 23 hours. This gives us an extra 23-day that we can insert between Saturday and Sunday of this weekend, and we can call it "Sleepday."

And how do we properly observe Sleepday? You guessed it.

It's too late for this year, but we can get the alternate arrangement place for next year. Let's go! FIX IT.
This.
Dragging my ass out of bed before I wake up on my own is the worst part of every day. The difference between sleeping in and being woken up is the difference between hotels and prison. DST is straight up oppression.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Mar 2011, 11:30

Hugh Akston wrote:

Thoreau is his own grandfather?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2011, 11:39

U
Hugh Akston wrote:

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADERS!!1!11!

Wait, screw those assholes.

TAKE ME TO VEGAS!!!111!!
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Mar 2011, 11:51

The cows, man. The cows.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Mar 2011, 12:17

Thoreau: same here. I just slept twelve hours straight, then pulled a quasi-all-nigher for an exam, and I'm flying to England on Wednesday. So really, this is perfect timing for me because my body is just hopelessly confused anyway.
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:Daylight savings is the work of communists and fascists. Those that speak favorably of it are demonic spawn.
No. Changing the time is the work of the fascists. But if you're never going to change time, you have pick a time. And the only argument in favor of standard time is because it makes teenagers lives better at the expense of everyone else. The argument in favor of daylight time is that come fall back time, everyone in the entire world complains about how all of a sudden they have to go home after dark and everything sucks. Seriously, everyone gets to sleep in an hour later than they would have the day before, but there's something that sucks so bad that extra sleep can't help.
I'm not a high schooler.

JD

Post by JD » 14 Mar 2011, 12:29

DST: pointless, useless, confusing crap, IMO. Why are we being ruled by the wishes of a bunch of early 20th-c. bureaucrats who were trying to help out farmers and golfers?

EDIT: And Wikipedia proves DST has unsavory origins!
Through vigorous campaigning, by 1908 Willett had managed to gain the support of a Member of Parliament (MP), Robert Pearce, who made several unsuccessful attempts to get [DST] passed into law. Willet, a notorious pedophile, worked hard to implement daylight savings time so he could have more time on the streets collecting street urchins for his personal pleasure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =418626209

Because, as we all know, Wikipedia is infallible and never contains anything other than purest truth.
Last edited by JD on 14 Mar 2011, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2011, 12:31

JD wrote:farmers and golfers?
The correct terminology is "Real Americans and hard-working producers."
--Shem

Randolph Carter

Post by Randolph Carter » 17 Mar 2011, 11:38

I gripe about standard time and its lack of awesome late in the day sunsets.

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Mar 2011, 11:42

what's so daylight about savings, anyway?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 17 Mar 2011, 13:38

JasonL wrote:The cows, man. The cows.
When we transition to daylight savings time for that extra hour of sun, the grass grows more due to the longer day and I have to mow it more often.

This is not a good thing.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Mar 2011, 13:59

J sub D wrote:
JasonL wrote:The cows, man. The cows.
When we transition to daylight savings time for that extra hour of sun, the grass grows more due to the longer day and I have to mow it more often.

This is not a good thing.
Fire is the cleanser.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 17 Mar 2011, 16:06

Just the other day I read about a study comparing the SAT scores of students in countries that had daylight savings time versus countries that did not.

The SAT scores of students in countries without DST averaged about 16 points higher, which is pretty colossal. Could it be that disruptive?

Caveats: Correlation is not causation, other factors, etc.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Mar 2011, 17:23

Stevo Darkly wrote:Just the other day I read about a study comparing the SAT scores of students in countries that had daylight savings time versus countries that did not.

The SAT scores of students in countries without DST averaged about 16 points higher, which is pretty colossal. Could it be that disruptive?

Caveats: Correlation is not causation, other factors, etc.
No. It absolutely cannot be that collossal. See Arizona. Those guys are ignorant dickholes even though they've eschewed the time change for years.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Mar 2011, 17:39

I'd think the correlation would run the other way. I mean, you're eating the meat of daylight optimized livestock, and that has to count for something. It's all about the cows.