Page 496 of 498

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 14 Jan 2020, 11:44
by dead_elvis
My older brother and a younger cousin are the only military people in my family, and I think my brother mainly did it to get out of the house. My younger cousin I'm pretty sure joined because of Top Gun.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 14 Jan 2020, 15:33
by Hugh Akston
dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 11:44
My older brother and a younger cousin are the only military people in my family, and I think my brother mainly did it to get out of the house. My younger cousin I'm pretty sure joined because of Top Gun.
The volleyball scene or?

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 14 Jan 2020, 19:06
by Andrew
Hugh Akston wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 15:33
dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 11:44
My older brother and a younger cousin are the only military people in my family, and I think my brother mainly did it to get out of the house. My younger cousin I'm pretty sure joined because of Top Gun.
The volleyball scene or?
Big fan of "Take My Breath Away."

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 15 Jan 2020, 01:02
by D.A. Ridgely

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 15 Jan 2020, 01:18
by Warren
There's a documentary about him on Amazon Prime. It's got some 'trying too hard to be clever' title. My membership has expired and I can't remember off the top of my head. What was it? ... Oh yeah, it's called Jacob


My take away; The guy succeeded wildly at everything he tried without even trying, except he couldn't get a girl.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 16 Jan 2020, 16:33
by Kolohe
Like the deserts miss the rain.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 12:50
by thoreau
Freddie is the best of the socialists.
people post those memes about how the don’t care what anyone thinks and then receive “likes” for them, demonstrating that they are very desperately invested in being liked for not caring about being liked.
https://fredrikdeboer.com/2020/01/17/yo ... o-be-trad/

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 20:33
by Eric the .5b
thoreau wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 12:50
Freddie is the best of the socialists.
people post those memes about how the don’t care what anyone thinks and then receive “likes” for them, demonstrating that they are very desperately invested in being liked for not caring about being liked.
https://fredrikdeboer.com/2020/01/17/yo ... o-be-trad/
Man, that's not saying much. :D But yeah, that's a little gem in the old-man-yelling-at-the-kids, there.

(I'm surprised you're still following him considering the book he's flogging.)

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 20:49
by thoreau
Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 20:33
(I'm surprised you're still following him considering the book he's flogging.)
I have more sympathy for him than you might think. Consider this item in the blurb:
Preposed reforms variously target incompetent teachers, corrupt union practices, or outdated curricula, but no one acknowledges a scientifically-proven fact that we all understand intuitively: academic potential varies between individuals, and cannot be dramatically improved.
The fact that he's willing to say that puts him light-years ahead of anyone else working in the education system. You can't solve anything in either education, society, or justice if you pretend that everyone can fit into the same academic mold. And I actually agree that power should not be allocated solely to academic meritocrats, and that people who aren't great at school should be able to find meaningful and productive roles in the world.

Frankly, a society with multiple paths to productive and meaningful roles is one in which academic pursuits can be valued and meaningful as well, because they won't need to be watered down to satisfy some democratic imperative. If colleges are the main gatekeepers in a democratic society, then colleges will have no choice but to regulate that gate according to democratic imperatives rather than academic imperatives. OTOH, if college is just one of many gates through which a person can pass, then colleges can regulate their gates according to academic values and other institutions can regulate their gates according to their values and needs.

I do think that academic advancement should be decided on academic merit (just as corporate advancement should be decided on how well you are doing in your corporate job), and that jobs requiring particular knowledge and skills should be filled on the basis of demonstrated knowledge and skills. I think he'll agree with that. He wants the socialist planning committee to use statistics compiled by statisticians, not a comrade's idiot brother-in-law that they felt sorry for. And I want the committee phasing out regulations to be guided by data compiled by a good statistician, not a CEO's idiot in-law. He wants the socialized medicine provided by doctors who passed licensing exams, and I want the more market-oriented medical care provided by people who passed board certification exams.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 21:55
by Eric the .5b
thoreau wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 20:49
Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 20:33
(I'm surprised you're still following him considering the book he's flogging.)
I have more sympathy for him than you might think. Consider this item in the blurb:
Preposed reforms variously target incompetent teachers, corrupt union practices, or outdated curricula, but no one acknowledges a scientifically-proven fact that we all understand intuitively: academic potential varies between individuals, and cannot be dramatically improved.
The fact that he's willing to say that puts him light-years ahead of anyone else working in the education system. You can't solve anything in either education, society, or justice if you pretend that everyone can fit into the same academic mold. And I actually agree that power should not be allocated solely to academic meritocrats, and that people who aren't great at school should be able to find meaningful and productive roles in the world.

Frankly, a society with multiple paths to productive and meaningful roles is one in which academic pursuits can be valued and meaningful as well, because they won't need to be watered down to satisfy some democratic imperative. If colleges are the main gatekeepers in a democratic society, then colleges will have no choice but to regulate that gate according to democratic imperatives rather than academic imperatives. OTOH, if college is just one of many gates through which a person can pass, then colleges can regulate their gates according to academic values and other institutions can regulate their gates according to their values and needs.

I do think that academic advancement should be decided on academic merit (just as corporate advancement should be decided on how well you are doing in your corporate job), and that jobs requiring particular knowledge and skills should be filled on the basis of demonstrated knowledge and skills. I think he'll agree with that. He wants the socialist planning committee to use statistics compiled by statisticians, not a comrade's idiot brother-in-law that they felt sorry for. And I want the committee phasing out regulations to be guided by data compiled by a good statistician, not a CEO's idiot in-law. He wants the socialized medicine provided by doctors who passed licensing exams, and I want the more market-oriented medical care provided by people who passed board certification exams.
I'd point to the rather key bit here:
Since cognitive talent varies from person to person, our education system can never create equal opportunity for all. Instead, it teaches our children that heirarchy[sic] and competition are natural, and that human value should be based on intelligence. These ideas are counter to everything that the left believes, but until they acknowledge the existence of individual cognitive differences, progressives remain complicit in keeping the status quo in place.

This passionate, voice-driven manifesto demands that we embrace a new goal for education: equality of outcomes.
Emphasis added.

That sounds more like taking a different route to the same destination.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 22:45
by dead_elvis
thoreau wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 12:50
Freddie is the best of the socialists.

https://fredrikdeboer.com/2020/01/17/yo ... o-be-trad/
Rather than the authority of the crowd, whose dictates are fickle and inarticulate, there is the authority of God,
Which isn't fickle and inarticulate? I mean has this guy ever cracked open a bible?

I could see his argument holding weight for the sort of person who goes to church on the holidays and is in and out of the service without ever doing anything else truly reflective. Just because you have a clergy interpreting things doesn't necessarily make it simpler, as any decent clergy will be exploring the tough questions like "why do bad things happen to good people" or "why does unbelieving dear Aunt Mable who has lived as close to godliness as humanly possible go to hell while Chester the Molester goes to heaven if he repents on his deathbed", or exploring the meaning of Job, all things which do not lend themselves to pat answers that allow you to get on with your day. I think he has a point with society and social roles, that if you just follow unquestioningly what has been laid out before you, but religion? No, old-timey religion is not going to help people in that way, unless one is extremely shallow and vapid about it. Coming up with ways to understand and reconcile Christianity's contradictions is *not* for the intellectually lazy (and as much as I enjoy a challenge for the brain I don't mean that as a compliment).

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 22:54
by Eric the .5b
dead_elvis wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 22:45
Which isn't fickle and inarticulate? I mean has this guy ever cracked open a bible?

I could see his argument holding weight for the sort of person who goes to church on the holidays and is in and out of the service without ever doing anything else truly reflective. Just because you have a clergy interpreting things doesn't necessarily make it simpler, as any decent clergy will be exploring the tough questions like "why do bad things happen to good people" or "why does unbelieving dear Aunt Mable who has lived as close to godliness as humanly possible go to hell while Chester the Molester goes to heaven if he repents on his deathbed", or exploring the meaning of Job, all things which do not lend themselves to pat answers that allow you to get on with your day.
I think the quickest way to explain is that there are many clergy you would not consider "decent" with churches that have quite a lot of attendance every Sunday.

I mean, they aren't trying to exorcise him in this picture.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 22:59
by Hugh Akston
To be honest, I suspect that for a lot of people who really suffer from these kind of meta-theatrical problems of how to think and live, the real problem is just the internet. They’re too online. The human mind was not meant to be constantly rubbing up against other human minds. It’s all a big, creepy science experiment, all of this operant conditioning; we did not evolve for this.
:roll: Sorry Freddie but grounding your argument on evolutionary psychology is 100% prereflective trad.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 21 Jan 2020, 19:23
by JasonL
I love this mini article about how surplus and consumption tend to rise together convincing everyone that the current times of surplus are terrible or impossible or even that there is no surplus.

"To generalize only a little: In the 1950s camping was an acceptable vacation. Hand-me-downs were acceptable clothes. A 983 square foot house was an acceptable size. Kids sharing a room was an acceptable arrangement. A tire swing was acceptable entertainment. Few of those things are acceptable baselines for most households today. The average new home now has more bathrooms than occupants.

The median household’s real wage gains over the last half-century have been spent. The household savings rate fell by 30% during a period when median real income rose 40%."

https://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/ ... 2ne7YtVXEc

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 21 Jan 2020, 19:29
by lunchstealer
Well yeah, young buyers may want to have children after buying the home, and older buyers may want their children, relatives, or others to be able to visit without sleeping on the sofa, and a lot of parents are single. Also a lot of people work at least some of the time from home, so having an office is good, and most of the time that office has a closet so it can be treated as a bedroom in a future sale.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 21 Jan 2020, 20:05
by Jadagul
I would really like to have three bedrooms in any place I live, and two is basically a minimum. (Bedroom, office, guest room.)

And yes, this is extravagant, especially compared to historical baselines, especially in the markets I live in.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 27 Jan 2020, 11:59
by JD

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 29 Jan 2020, 16:35
by JD
An interesting piece on how wargaming during WWII was used to develop tactics to counter U-boats:
https://time.com/5772665/uboat-wargames/

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 29 Jan 2020, 17:23
by Aresen
JD wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 16:35
An interesting piece on how wargaming during WWII was used to develop tactics to counter U-boats:
https://time.com/5772665/uboat-wargames/
I'd heard this story before, with the emphasis on how a group of women had figured the out the tactic.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 19 Feb 2020, 11:00
by nicole

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 11:04
by JD
Today's Google Doodle is about John Tenniel, and while reading about him I came across this cartoon that he'd done, titled "An Unequal Match". I see that some complaints are as old as time.

Image

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 11:10
by Ellie
What is the significance of the crook having taken his shoes off? Is he also fighting the cop with his terrible foot odor?

(also, fuck the police)

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 11:35
by JD
Ellie wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:10
What is the significance of the crook having taken his shoes off? Is he also fighting the cop with his terrible foot odor?

(also, fuck the police)
I was wondering about that. Is shoelessness supposed to be some other unfair advantage the crook has? The world may never know.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 11:36
by Hugh Akston
Maybe he's using the prybar to break into the window behind them, and he took off his shoes because he doesn't want his metal heels to make noise.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 11:45
by JD
Look at the big brain on Hugh!