Worthwhile intertubez finds

nicole

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by nicole »

That’s some quality #content
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

I Have a Dream is under copyright?
I mean, of course it is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I admit not really having much concern about copyright length. I know the BoingBoing fan club longs to re-edit "Steamboat WIllie" into a lazy satire of capitalism, maybe with T&A, but eh. All it really means is that Amazon suddenly gets 800 more versions of those ebooks with terrible OCR.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yeah, I'm not per se bothered by endless intellectual property rights under appropriate circumstances. Coca-Cola has spent a huge fortune both promulgating its logo and protecting it. It's corporate property, the corporation is still doing business, so fine. Same with Disney. That said, I'd like a broader reading of fair use and an end to statutory damages.

Warren

Post by Warren »

You don't care because you aren't thinking about the great works that are being stifled by the jackboot of oppression. Copyright is anathema to freedom of speech and press.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 16:54
You don't care because you aren't thinking about the great works that are being stifled by the jackboot of oppression. Copyright is anathema to freedom of speech and press.
Yeah, what a shame: all that fan-fiction that will never get written or produced.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 16:56
Warren wrote:
Yeah, what a shame: all that fan-fiction that will never get written or produced.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.
You're dismissive of something that is actually substantive. Copyright is a serious violation of freedom.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

To be fair, the world is full of people who could write better Star Wars sequels.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 17:08
To be fair, the world is full of people who could write better Star Wars sequels.
If you have read fanfic, you know there are legions who can write worse ones.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Aresen wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 17:37
thoreau wrote:
But you can choose to read X-Wing and Traitor, and not to read Darksaber.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Disney's success is built entirely on exploiting the public domain and preventing others from doing the same. All of its classic animated features and contemporary blockbusters are fanfictions based on earlier works.

If you're at all interested in the existence of a dynamic, creative market not dominated by a few large firms whose corporate interests are codified into law, then limiting copyright protections is kind of a fundamental concern.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 17:37
thoreau wrote:
And having seen the prequels, some of them have names rhyming with forge mookas.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 19:16
Disney's success is built entirely on exploiting the public domain and preventing others from doing the same. All of its classic animated features and contemporary blockbusters are fanfictions based on earlier works.

If you're at all interested in the existence of a dynamic, creative market not dominated by a few large firms whose corporate interests are codified into law, then limiting copyright protections is kind of a fundamental concern.
Yes and no. Disney certainly exploited public domain fairy tales and stories, but it didn't use the literary or artistic equivalent of high school fans to write the scripts, draw the characters, etc., they hired real writers and artists, etc. For that matter, anyone could produce their own versions of the original public domain source material today, worrying only that their end product looked, sounded, etc. like the Disney version. Yeah, yeah, Disney sends in a battalion of lawyers and scares prospective new producers with prohibitively expensive litigation. That's the part I'd like reformed by eliminating statutory damages and broadening the fair use doctrine.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I'd settle for that. But it's a candy-ass policy in the face of oppression.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

The actual quality of the resultant work should have no bearing on whether copyright should be longer or shorter.

I think the important thing is that we'll never know what we're missing; like trying to defend the invisible hand, it's difficult because the benefits are unknowable. Maybe you get a new masterpiece, maybe you don't, but that's beside the point, not least because everyone involved might be dead by the time a determination is made. But I believe shorter makes the new masterpiece at least *possible* if not more likely, and while I can't show my work I have a hard time believing it wouldn't be statistically *less likely* to be created if the palette of possible things, ideas, and characters to choose from is smaller.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren, what is the "oppression" you're talking about without actually describing?

...As for fanfic, copyright doesn't stop it, and creators are warming up to it.

(AO3, aka Archive of Our Own, being a major fanfic/slashfic site. Also, the replies are full of other writers...)

And if you want to sell the stuff, get out the mighty steel file of search-and-replace and get those serial numbers off, like E. L. James, David Baldacci*, or Cassandra Clare did. Or like scads of others have done, to make their work their own. And that's before you get into characters or premises that "always" had their own names, but were clearly inspired by others. David Gerrold and Iain M. Banks both wrote entire book series meant to riff off of and criticize Star Trek (from completely different directions), and Banks at least did really well with the Culture books.

* Mind, Baldacci wasn't really trying too hard when he named his Jack Reacher clone "John Puller". Not exactly turning a mopey teenage vampire into an asshole billionaire sadist.

JD

Post by JD »

A firefighter's approach to drop bars and breaching doors reinforced with them: https://ironsandladders.com/tag/drop-bars/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

www.monoclemadnessshop.com
Warren's favorite internet shopping site, I assume.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

Quite
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
West Side Story is basically R&J fanfic.

Also, re: Coca Cola, I would distinguish between trademarks and copyrights.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 18:47
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
West Side Story is basically R&J fanfic.
And Romeo & Juliet is Mariotto and Gianozza fanfic, using variations of names stolen from other writers' M&G fanfic and borrowing family names from The Divine Comedy.

(I'm blanking on whether Shakespeare ever wrote a play that wasn't reworking someone else's plot...)

We have hundreds of years of evidence that you can change names and be good to go with derivative characters or stories. We grow entire genres out of writers going, "Ooh, I like that, I want to do something with it, but I'll have to change a couple of things..."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Who joins the military?
But for now, rates of military service remain far from equal in the United States, and the gap may continue to widen because a driving decision to enlist is whether a young person knows anyone who served in the military. In communities where veterans are plentiful, teachers, coaches, mothers, uncles and other mentors often steer youths toward military service. In communities where veterans are scarce, influential adults are more wary.
The main predictors are not based on class or race. Army data show service spread mostly evenly through middle-class and “downscale” groups. Youth unemployment turns out not to be the prime factor. And the racial makeup of the force is more or less in line with that of young Americans as a whole, though African-Americans are slightly more likely to serve. Instead, the best predictor is a person’s familiarity with the military.

That distinction has created glaring disparities across the country. In 2019, Fayetteville, N.C., which is home to Fort Bragg, provided more than twice as many military enlistment contracts as Manhattan, even though Manhattan has eight times as many people. Many of the new contracts in Fayetteville were soldiers signing up for second and third enlistments.
In Los Angeles, a region defined by liberal politics where many families are suspicious of the military, the Army has struggled to even gain access to high schools. By law, schools have to allow recruiters on campus once a semester, but administrators tightly control when and how recruiters can interact with students. Access is “very minimal,” said Lt. Col. Tameka Wilson, the commander of the Los Angeles Recruiting Battalion.

Predictably, enlistment rates are low.
The article does mention that recruitment was more evenly distributed under conscription, but stops short of advocating its reinstatement.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD »

An unexpectedly interesting piece about how the bagel bakers' union confronted the mob: https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/01/bage ... union.html

The union was extremely insular, extremely well-organized, and extremely resistant to change, which helped them stand up to the Mafia, but also ultimately doomed them because they wouldn't change as the world changed around them.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 16:31
Who joins the military?
But for now, rates of military service remain far from equal in the United States, and the gap may continue to widen because a driving decision to enlist is whether a young person knows anyone who served in the military. In communities where veterans are plentiful, teachers, coaches, mothers, uncles and other mentors often steer youths toward military service. In communities where veterans are scarce, influential adults are more wary.
Well that worked for me. Not so much my community, but my family. My father and all his brothers were all Navy men, as were two of my cousins.

OTOH I wouldn't recommend the military to anyone that had other, non criminal, options.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

My grandfather, father, and uncle all went into the service but somehow I was uninspired to follow their example despite them all attaining the high rank of Major Asshole.