Worthwhile intertubez finds

Hugh Akston

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 13:27
A paper on the history of Blue Cross/Blue Shield and health coverage in general in the US: https://advocacy.consumerreports.org/wp ... lation.pdf
No author is listed, unfortunately. The filename implies something about "yourhealthdollar.org", but that domain is no longer active.

The paper seems reasonably fair and evenhanded, but I do detect a certain recurring theme of "The BCBSes were perfect and efficient and totally free of that icky profit motive and everybody loved them. But there were calls for more state involvement and regulation, because there were still gaps!" rinse & repeat. And contrary to the leftist implication that once upon a time, healthcare existed in some kind of Edenic garden before the snake of for-profit healthcare showed up, people have been complaining about healthcare costs for about a hundred years.
I've recommended it before, but the Christy Ford Chapin episode of EconTalk is an informative, concise history of the US healthcare system.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD »

A fascinating and sad story of just how screwed up the criminal justice system is, especially in New Orleans.
https://magazine.atavist.com/your-honor ... hole-story
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Estimates of Clinical Trial Probabilities of Success

https://projectalpha.mit.edu/pos/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

dbcooper wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 09:05
Estimates of Clinical Trial Probabilities of Success

https://projectalpha.mit.edu/pos/
So, not just boner pills? Can someone help me with the series labels? Is 1-A part of phase 1? It doesn't seem like it, but it is swept under overall in some charts but not others?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

1-A means from phase 1 to approval.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Ahh. the whole range. Ok. Thanks.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

"Baltimore Accent Test"

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/ebldpi/baltimore_accents

"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 16:47
"Baltimore Accent Test"
Damn you Ellie. I laughed so hard I feel guilty.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

This is just adorable and heart-warming.

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I would hope she would react that way for a gift her parents paid $120k for.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Minion in the making.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 19:12
I would hope she would react that way for a gift her parents paid $120k for.
Doubtful, but she might get some joy out of the wrapping.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Warren

Post by Warren »

I don't trust the reporting of anything behind a paywall :P
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 12:29
I don't trust the reporting of anything behind a paywall :P
Not quite the same thing, but here's an article from seven years ago about how Mercola pushes quackery for his own profit, including his anti-vaccine stance: https://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Maga ... -or-Quack/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

Here's one that will infuriate Nicole (and just about everybody else, I imagine): Breathalyzer-interlock devices help keep people from driving drunk, but they've also been implicated in causing crashes, because they demand that you prove yourself sober again at random intervals while driving.
In November 2017, Alexis Butler was backing out of a driveway in Arlington, Tex., when a speeding pickup slammed into her Toyota Camry.
The driver, Blake Cowan, had been arrested twice the previous year for drunken driving, but he was sober at the time of the crash, according to police records.

To start his truck, Mr. Cowan had to prove his sobriety by blowing into an interlock device - a machine the size of a cellphone, wired to the car's steering column. But to keep driving, he had to provide additional breath samples to show he hadn't been drinking on the road.

Those checks, known in the industry as rolling retests, occur at random. They require the driver to lift a hand off the wheel, pick up the device, and blow - hard - into its mouthpiece for several seconds. If the driver fails or doesn't comply, the car goes into panic mode: its headlights flash and its horn honks until the driver turns off the engine.

Mr. Cowan had just passed a test, but dropped his interlock on the floor. Wanting it in easy reach for his next one, he distractedly fumbled for it, he told a police detective - and his Ms. Butler's car. She died a week later.
A review by The New York Times of accident reports and lawsuits turned up dozens of examples of collisions in which the devices played a role. A Pennsylvania driver trying to complete a test blew so hard that he blacked out and crashed into a tree, nearly severing his left hand. Another in rural New Hampshire struck a telephone pole. And in California, a man attempting a rolling retest on a busy highway crossed the dividing line and hit another car, badly injuring a woman and killing her husband.
MADD has, of course, been a major proponent of these devices, and the industry supplying them is happy to cooperate.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

The idea that these would have random resets *while driving*. How could this actually happen considering how many eyeballs this would have had to make it past without anyone pointing out what a *terrible* idea that is.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway »

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Dec 2019, 18:26
The idea that these would have random resets *while driving*. How could this actually happen considering how many eyeballs this would have had to make it past without anyone pointing out what a *terrible* idea that is.
There have been people pointing out what a terrible idea that is from the beginning (along with the whole idea of the devices, which are a massively difficult piece of gear to get to actually work). They're just shouted down by the MADD + Law Enforcement coalition.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:
26 Dec 2019, 09:43
dead_elvis wrote:
25 Dec 2019, 18:26
There have been people pointing out what a terrible idea that is from the beginning (along with the whole idea of the devices, which are a massively difficult piece of gear to get to actually work). They're just shouted down by the MADD + Law Enforcement coalition.
MADD accomplished all of it's stated goals within the first five years of it's existence. Ever since it's been a coven of increasingly puritanical scolds. So of course they are.

The LE coalition is always in favor of giving LEOs greater authority and less accountability, while expanding the pretexts for fucking with the general public. But I don't see how this serves that end.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

The greatest crowd work in the history of the world.

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
26 Dec 2019, 18:22
The greatest crowd work in the history of the world.

database still fucked. You gotta make a link
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

A Saskatchewan man whose actual name is Assman wants a vanity plate.

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/263 ... ssion=true

Million to one shot, doc. Million to one.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 11:57
Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 05:14
Guernica is the "important" work of art that I've seen that, if anything, is underrated seeing in person. The sheer scale of it is something that you only take in in person.
La Grande Jatte nearly brought me to tears for this same reason.

My experience with this was the Sistine Chapel. Though David is also pretty cool in person.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Kolohe wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 19:13
Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 11:57
Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 05:14
Guernica is the "important" work of art that I've seen that, if anything, is underrated seeing in person. The sheer scale of it is something that you only take in in person.
La Grande Jatte nearly brought me to tears for this same reason.

My experience with this was the Sistine Chapel. Though David is also pretty cool in person.
All of the above. Plus St. Peter's Basilica - which was obviously designed to be overwhelming.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

A partial list of works that would have entered the Public Domain today if not for the Zombie Mickey bill in 1978
Nonfiction

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream
James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time
Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique
Richard Hofstadter, Anti-intellectualism in American Life
LeRoi Jones (Amiri Baraka), Blues People: Negro Music in White America
E. P. Thompson, The Making of the English Working Class
Fiction

John le Carré, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Leonard Cohen (the songwriter was also an author), The Favourite Game
Philip K. Dick, The Game-Players of Titan
Thomas Pynchon, V.
Neil Simon, Barefoot in the Park
Walter Tevis, The Man Who Fell to Earth
John Updike, The Centaur
Kurt Vonnegut, Cat’s Cradle
Charles Webb, The Graduate
Movies

8 1/2
The Birds
Cleopatra
Disney’s The Incredible Journey and The Sword in the Stone
From Russia with Love
It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Lilies of the Field
The Pink Panther
Tom Jones
Music

Be My Baby, w & m Phil Spector, Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry
Can I Get a Witness, w & m Brian Holland, Eddie Holland & Lamont Dozier
He’s So Fine, w & m Ronald “Ronnie” Mack
My Boyfriend’s Back, w & m Robert Feldman, Gerald Goldstein & Richard Gottehrer
It’s My Party, w & m Wally Gold, Herb Wiener & John Gluck, Jr.
In Dreams, w & m Roy Orbison
Puff (the Magic Dragon), w & m Peter Yarrow & Leonard Lipton
Walk Like a Man, w & m Bob Crewe & Bob Gaudio
Songs from The Beatles’ albums Please, Please Me and With The Beatles
Songs from The Beach Boys’ album Surfin’ U.S.A.
Petite Fleur Africaine and other songs by Duke Ellington