Worthwhile intertubez finds

Eric the .5b

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2019, 19:33

I suspect the sunk cost fallacy kicks in against that, because they just remodeled the exhibition room that the Mona Lisa sits in a few years ago. (As shown off in the video for "Apeshit", which is also the way I'd like to visit an art museum, aside from all the clothing changes...)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Nov 2019, 20:10

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2019, 20:20

Jadagul wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 18:56
I'm glad I saw the Mona Lisa. I don't remember it being especially crowded. It didn't blow me away from what I remember, but it's also hard to come to it in any vaguely neutral way.

It can be very good and still feel extremely overhyped.
Yes. The irony is that the same area of the Louvre has 7 of the 12 known Da Vinci paintings and hardly anyone takes the time to look at them. (Not to mention the numerous other paintings by Italian Renaissance Masters nearby.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Nov 2019, 22:03

It was kinda crowded in that part of the room so I glimpsed it from afar to bucket list it and moved on because there was a lot of cool shit that wasn't getting fangirled.

Still preferred the Orsay and the British Museum because the Brits were very good at stealing stuff that was interesting rather than just pretty.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2019, 22:06

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 22:03
It was kinda crowded in that part of the room so I glimpsed it from afar to bucket list it and moved on because there was a lot of cool shit that wasn't getting fangirled.

Still preferred the Orsay and the British Museum because the Brits were very good at stealing stuff that was interesting rather than just pretty.
The Germans were pretty good at stealing stuff too, but a lot of it got destroyed when we bombed the piss out of Berlin.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Nov 2019, 02:01

An Iraqi street artist is putting up cuneiform protest graffiti.

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2019, 05:14

Guernica is the "important" work of art that I've seen that, if anything, is underrated seeing in person. The sheer scale of it is something that you only take in in person.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Nov 2019, 11:57

Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 05:14
Guernica is the "important" work of art that I've seen that, if anything, is underrated seeing in person. The sheer scale of it is something that you only take in in person.
La Grande Jatte nearly brought me to tears for this same reason.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2019, 12:14

Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 11:57
Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 05:14
La Grande Jatte nearly brought me to tears for this same reason.
That makes much more sense to me. At least you know what your looking at. And the pointillism messes with your mind. You instinctively want to get closer to see more detail. But the closer you are the less coherent the image, and the farther you back away the more it comes together. It's never in clear sharp focus, but it is a large substantial work and I wondered about how the artist could have achieved it working close to the canvas.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Nov 2019, 13:13

The Prado in Madrid may have the highest percentage of works of art I've felt seeing in person was vastly more impressive. Their collection of Bosch, El Greco, Rubens, Titian and Diego Velázquez are all exquisite.

That said, where one grew up and how much one was exposed to art gallery masterpieces growing up probably makes a big difference in what it takes to be impressed. The art at the Uffizi, Academia, the Louvre and the British Museum is all wonderful, but if you grew up with the National Gallery down the street or with ready access to NYC art galleries, they're not so overwhelming.

Sometimes, too, seeing a painting is disappointing because, for example, it's so much smaller than you imagined. I love Hopper, but seeing "Nighthawks" at the Art Institute in Chicago was a bummer. It's much smaller than I imagined and I somehow couldn't quite get over the fact.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Nov 2019, 14:49

Admittedly it wasn't around the corner but I've been to pretty much all the old-school Mall museums, including the Hirshorn, National Gallery, Museum of Natural History and Museum of American History, (and the Air and Space, natch) so the Louvre wasn't overwhelming (although partly because I'd also just been to London's National Gallery so I was starting to burn out on paintings, but still the Orsay came after all of those and I did find it very impressive, and despite the British Museum coming last out of all of those, I still found it to be the most impressive of all. Well except Air and Space, but I'm a space heroes guy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Nov 2019, 08:13

Lady with the Ermine is pretty impressive.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Nov 2019, 11:05

A really intense essay on survivor's guilt: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/maga ... teran.html
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 12 Nov 2019, 14:39

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » Yesterday, 09:17

DAR beat me to it, but the Prado is amazing.

Highway

Post by Highway » Yesterday, 19:00

About an algorithm for color correcting ocean photography:

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."