Worthwhile intertubez finds

Pham Nuwen

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Sep 2019, 20:04

thoreau wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 19:32
I just appreciate the part where his adoptive family didn't change his last name. I guess they had the foresight to realize that a member of the Hitler family could easily grow up to be a pedophile with a head tattoo, and there's no need to tarnish the adoptive family's good name by association.
Some people play the long game for these exact reasons.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JD

Post by JD » 09 Sep 2019, 10:51

Veterinarians commit suicide at about 3x the rate of the general population; female veterinarians at around 3.5x the rate. And in some ways it's not hard to understand: you usually get into veterinary medicine because you love animals, but you end up seeing them sick and dying and in pain a lot; you have a lot of student debt; you're experienced with the ways that pharmaceuticals can be used to end a life ("Vets who kill themselves are 2.5 times more likely than the general population to have used pharmaceuticals as the method").

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Sep 2019, 16:31

And the market for vets is pretty shit unless you got family dollars to start your own business.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2019, 10:24

One of the biophysical arguments against free will - that our brains show rising activity leading up to a decision or action even before we're aware of having made a decision - looks like it may have been an artifact of the data analysis: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... al/597736/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 12 Sep 2019, 07:21

Thanks for that.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Sep 2019, 19:49

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Sep 2019, 15:30

Holy shit, I love this update so much I want to run away and open a bead store with it. First read my husband’s ex won’t move out here

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/0 ... dvice.html

Then read the update here

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Sep 2019, 15:38

WOW.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Sep 2019, 15:41

Mo wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 15:30
Holy shit, I love this update so much I want to run away and open a bead store with it. First read my husband’s ex won’t move out here

Then read the update here

I feel like that needs to be a movie where Kate McKinnon is Lindy.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Sep 2019, 16:44

Hahaha ah ha oh geeze

Play bitch games, win bitch prizes.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Sep 2019, 17:02

I can’t quite nail this down but I know there’s something here ... The Hemp that Rocks the Cradle?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Sep 2019, 21:38

JasonL wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 17:02
The Hemp that Rocks the Cradle?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 18 Sep 2019, 11:22

TikTok is making a strong push to be America's next big social media platform, but their close ties to Beijing are worrying: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... edirect=on

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Sep 2019, 23:28

If you are interested in air disaster investigations and the 737 Max debacle, along with a lot of background and a writer who doesn't pull any punches in talking about other pilots, the NYT Magazine story What Really Brought Down the 737 Max? is a good, if long, read.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Sep 2019, 18:58

Interesting the article has 3 corrections in such short time. You don’t see that often. Also, his comment about Boeing being conservative and and not cutting corners/taking risks for financial gain is undercut about 4 paragraphs later. Feels like the author has an axe to grind.

I also found this interesting
The United States Navy manages to instill a sense of this in its fledgling fighter pilots by ramming them through rigorous classroom instruction and then requiring them to fly at bank angles without limits, including upside down. The same cannot be expected of airline pilots who never fly solo and whose entire experience consists of catering to passengers who flinch in mild turbulence, refer to “air pockets” in cocktail conversation and think they are near death if bank angles exceed 30 degrees.
My ex-stepfather was a pilot and was head of a regional airline in Egypt and said that fighter pilots were generally bad airline pilots because their instinct is to be aggressive and risk taking rather than taking the safe, conservative route. Too many Mavericks, not enough Icemen(ok that was my interpretation).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Sep 2019, 19:55

I'm not even sure his characterization of US Naval Aviator training is entirely correct.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 25 Sep 2019, 16:39

A sad and moving tale about memory and looking up a childhood friend on the internet: https://www.wired.com/story/my-search-f ... discovery/

JD

Post by JD » 25 Sep 2019, 17:41

Why I am paranoid about my devices, accounts, etc. These stories are a few years old, but I have no faith that the underlying issues have been fixed.

My $50,000 Twitter Username Was Stolen Thanks to PayPal and GoDaddy

How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2019, 17:51

Windows 8 will hit us like a tidal wave soon!

Highway

Post by Highway » 25 Sep 2019, 20:50

JD wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 17:41
Why I am paranoid about my devices, accounts, etc. These stories are a few years old, but I have no faith that the underlying issues have been fixed.

My $50,000 Twitter Username Was Stolen Thanks to PayPal and GoDaddy

How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking
My wife doesn't have an apple account any more, because the one that is associated with her email (which was never used after a super early itunes try) was compromised by someone else, and the same stupid bullshit that is in that first link was pulled. "Well, none of your information matches what the hacker changed all your information to, so we can't do anything about it." It's utter bullshit, and companies like Microsoft and Apple just don't give a fuck about individual users. She has also had a Microsoft Live account hacked, but was able to get that one shut down. The apple account, they were just like "Sorry, we can't do anything." Even when we told them that we didn't give a shit whether it was recovered to us or not, but they were now the ones facilitating someone using someone else's stolen credit card on a stolen apple account.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2019, 15:14

I had never heard about "Project 100,000", AKA "McNamara's Morons", until today. Long story short, when the US military was facing a manpower shortage during the Vietnam War, SecDef McNamara launched a project to bring into service men who normally would have been considered extremely unfit for service due to mental or medical reasons. The result was a disaster, as the men had higher-than-average casualty rates in service (possibly due to being unable to qualify for more advanced training that might have kept them off the front lines) and had worse outcomes post-war than their non-veteran peers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100,000
https://bigthink.com/politics-current-a ... ras-morons
http://vvaveteran.org/36-3/36-3_morons.html

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Sep 2019, 15:26

It's no secret that the military is subject to the laws of supply and demand and that both draft and recruitment standards have fluctuated over the years accordingly. During the Vietnam War days, lots of stuff that is today contracted out, e.g., mowing the lawn, etc., was done by enlisted personnel. Lots of people you definitely wouldn't want covering your flank could still take out the garbage, or so the theory held and probably still holds.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Sep 2019, 16:42

Yeah the Army's minimum standard on their IQ test they use raises and lowers dependent on how many people they need. I knew a couple guys that couldn't get in initially but got in later when the minimum score dropped due to recruitment needs. Needless to say they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

JD

Post by JD » 01 Oct 2019, 14:27

An interesting article which seems to show that it's not just your imagination, White leftists really have changed greatly in the last few years: https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/76338347 ... ok-on-race

White non-leftists don't show the same kind of changes. Also, yeah they are kind of self-hating:
About two years ago, Engelhardt said he also noticed another major shift.

"Starting about 2016 ... white liberals actually rate non-white groups more positively than they do whites," explained Engelhardt. "Usually, it's the opposite."

Most racial groups feel more warmly about their own race than they do about other races. That's true for every group, except white liberals, according to the American National Election Studies.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Oct 2019, 14:52

That second thing is a consequence of wokeness winning the coalition. You know what the right answer is and you know that getting the answer wrong makes you a monster because everyone outside of the wokeverse is a monster.