Post by Dangerman » 26 Jul 2019, 13:55

Warren

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 26 Jul 2019, 14:05

Dangerman wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 13:55
This goes to the most recent

https://slatestarcodex.com/2019/07/24/o ... ad-132-75/
Yeah, I found that. Where's the not so recent?
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Jul 2019, 15:00

Look at the archives perhaps?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jul 2019, 00:41

This ends up being so sweet.

"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2019, 04:14

I thought that was going to be mildly cute, but that was touching.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jul 2019, 11:21

That was sweet.

Although I think that's pretty much what Amazon wants Alexa to be.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 30 Jul 2019, 12:29

DNA sequencing performance has hit a wall:

I haven't been following this for a couple of years, as I've changed fields somewhat and don't have funding to pursue my old work currently. Kind of depressing that another technological economic driver has stagnated (probably a minor one, but potentially a major one). Quality of reads has probably increased though, so data will be better and less repetition will be needed.

As with so much in biotech (and tech in general) there is so little government concern over competition and pricing. Reagents should not be getting more expensive ...
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jul 2019, 13:13

Is some of the current stagnation due to getting way ahead of the curve with whatever crashed the cost in the late oughts? It seems like if you make a huge advance like that, maybe you don't expect to pick up on the same slope.

I'd agree that it's an annoying problem if suppliers are profit taking on consumables, but I don't have any sense of whether they're gouging due to monopoly regulation like some medicine manufacturer, or they just don't have much more room to cut costs.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 01 Aug 2019, 14:55

Here's a fascinating and pretty funny story about OpSec around the F-117 during its early history: https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f ... 1759842067

Short version: The F117 was operated by the 4450th Tactical Group out of the Tonopah Test Range. The cover story for the activity was that the Air Force was testing avionics projects, using the A-7 Corsair II as a testbed. Of course, when the 4450th was deployed, their A-7s had to go with them in order to maintain the cover. And if the A-7s were going, there had to be some evidence of this supposed avionics project too. So they took an old bomb casing, dubbed it the "Klingon Cloaking Device" and modified it with useless but impressive-looking antennas and ports and even a glowing red light, and very seriously kept it under heavy guard at all times.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Aug 2019, 16:04

All that for a thing with 2 firecrackers worth of payload.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Aug 2019, 14:23

This comes as somewhat of a surprise:
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of "engaged" workers in the U.S. -- those who are involved in, enthusiastic about and committed to their work and workplace -- is now 34%, tying its highest level since Gallup began reporting the national figure in 2000. In March 2016, Gallup also reported that 34% of U.S. employees were engaged, along with 16.5% who were "actively disengaged" -- a ratio of two engaged workers for every actively disengaged one.

The percentage who are "actively disengaged" -- workers who have miserable work experiences -- is now at its lowest level (13%), making the current ratio of engaged to actively disengaged employees 2.6-to-1 -- the highest ever in Gallup tracking.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/241649/emp ... -rise.aspx
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Aug 2019, 14:40

JD wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 14:55
Here's a fascinating and pretty funny story about OpSec around the F-117 during its early history: https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f ... 1759842067

Short version: The F117 was operated by the 4450th Tactical Group out of the Tonopah Test Range. The cover story for the activity was that the Air Force was testing avionics projects, using the A-7 Corsair II as a testbed. Of course, when the 4450th was deployed, their A-7s had to go with them in order to maintain the cover. And if the A-7s were going, there had to be some evidence of this supposed avionics project too. So they took an old bomb casing, dubbed it the "Klingon Cloaking Device" and modified it with useless but impressive-looking antennas and ports and even a glowing red light, and very seriously kept it under heavy guard at all times.
Perhaps not surprisingly, the "Klingon Cloaking Device" flew better than the F117.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Aug 2019, 14:44

JD wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 14:23
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of "engaged" workers in the U.S. -- those who are involved in, enthusiastic about and committed to their work and workplace -- is now 34%, tying its highest level since Gallup began reporting the national figure in 2000. In March 2016, Gallup also reported that 34% of U.S. employees were engaged, along with 16.5% who were "actively disengaged" -- a ratio of two engaged workers for every actively disengaged one.

The percentage who are "actively disengaged" -- workers who have miserable work experiences -- is now at its lowest level (13%), making the current ratio of engaged to actively disengaged employees 2.6-to-1 -- the highest ever in Gallup tracking.
I am not surprised. In the heyday of the assembly line - the era that the Trumpers inexplicably want to return to - 'alienation in the workplace' was one of the biggest Marxist talking points. With computers and robots, very few people do the rote processing jobs anymore.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Aug 2019, 15:51

Aresen wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 14:44
JD wrote:

I am not surprised. In the heyday of the assembly line - the era that the Trumpers inexplicably want to return to - 'alienation in the workplace' was one of the biggest Marxist talking points. With computers and robots, very few people do the rote processing jobs anymore.
Are you suggesting that illegals aren't responsible for American manufacturing job losses? That its automation? Dude. You'll never be elected with lines like that.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Aug 2019, 16:21

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 15:51
Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:

Are you suggesting that illegals aren't responsible for American manufacturing job losses? That its automation? Dude. You'll never be elected with lines like that.
"Getting elected" ranks below "have a root canal without anesthetic" in my list of preferences.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Aug 2019, 16:36

What kind of shadowy cabal type are you exactly?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Aug 2019, 17:34

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 16:36
What kind of shadowy cabal type are you exactly?
OT7
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jake

Post by Jake » 06 Aug 2019, 17:53

Aresen wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 16:21
"Getting elected" ranks below "have a root canal without anesthetic" in my list of preferences.
Don't kink-shame me!
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Aug 2019, 19:49

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 15:51
Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:

I mean, not as a Republican...

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Aug 2019, 21:39

Absolutely amazing.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Aug 2019, 17:09

Just imagining the attack described here, from the iguana hidden under the shirt to being swung around by the tail made me cry while laughing. I’m glad Copper is ok and back at her old home. Also, surprisingly not Florida.

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2019/08 ... ut-it.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Aug 2019, 22:50

Mo wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:09
Just imagining the attack described here, from the iguana hidden under the shirt to being swung around by the tail made me cry while laughing. I’m glad Copper is ok and back at her old home. Also, surprisingly not Florida.

AFAICT, there is no constitutional right to carry a concealed iguana.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 11 Aug 2019, 23:27

Mo wrote:

I expect this sort of thing at Denny's, but he crossed the line by doing it at Perkins.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Aug 2019, 01:05

Andrew wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 23:27
Mo wrote:

I expect this sort of thing at Denny's, but he crossed the line by doing it at Perkins.
HA! :lol:
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Aug 2019, 02:25

Still it's shit like this why I got to Village Inn.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR