Worthwhile intertubez finds

lunchstealer

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2019, 19:37

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 19:02
Much as I like Ledger's Joker, the 1989 Batman with Keaton and Nicholson is still the gold standard.
You misspelled 1966, West, and Romero.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 Jul 2019, 19:49

At least Adam West understood the need for good grammar.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jul 2019, 21:17

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 19:02
Much as I like Ledger's Joker, the 1989 Batman with Keaton and Nicholson is still the gold standard.
Keaton was a fine Batman, but he was a shit Bruce Wayne.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 18 Jul 2019, 17:42

An experiment suggests that larger linguistic communities tend to form more regular, simpler grammars than smaller ones: https://phys.org/news/2019-07-size-people-language.html
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 18 Jul 2019, 19:12

That's really cool! I'd always wondered why it felt like both Koine Greek and Medieval Latin had grammars that were converging to something very similar to modern English grammar.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2019, 20:08

Jadagul wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 19:12
That's really cool! I'd always wondered why it felt like both Koine Greek and Medieval Latin had grammars that were converging to something very similar to modern English grammar.
Only in Jadaguland.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 19 Jul 2019, 05:39

Aresen wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 20:08
Jadagul wrote:
Only in Jadaguland.
But seriously.

Homeric and Attic Greek have really complicated grammars with tons of inflection. Koine Greek, the common-tongue version they wrote the Gospels in, can generally be translated pretty close to word-for-word.

Classical Latin isn't as baroque as Attic Greek, but it has a lot of complicated inflectional endings. Later Church Latin puts a lot more of the work in prepositions and again reads pretty close to modern English.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2019, 11:27

Jadagul wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 05:39
Aresen wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 20:08
Jadagul wrote:
Only in Jadaguland.
But seriously.

Homeric and Attic Greek have really complicated grammars with tons of inflection. Koine Greek, the common-tongue version they wrote the Gospels in, can generally be translated pretty close to word-for-word.

Classical Latin isn't as baroque as Attic Greek, but it has a lot of complicated inflectional endings. Later Church Latin puts a lot more of the work in prepositions and again reads pretty close to modern English.
I don't doubt you Jadagul, but of all the grylliadae, you are the only one who would know that. My specialty is English literature and writing. I have always argued that, while English orthography is horrible, English grammar is extremely simple. You are correct in that English grammar has become simpler and more regular over the centuries and is continuing to do so. (e.g. The who/whom distinction is disappearing, and that's a good thing.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jul 2019, 14:15

I think in another thread a comment was made about proponents of a position who sound like the stereotypes that opponents make up. Well, here's a regional governor in Indonesia who wants to protect the Komodo dragons, and he says
Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat wrote:It’s called Komodo Island, so it’s for the Komodo not for humans. There will be no human rights there, only animal rights.
I was all ready to say, well, English maybe isn't his first language, or this is a translation, or this is taken out of context...but no, he really wants the locals completely kicked off the island.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2019, 14:19

JD wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 14:15
I think in another thread a comment was made about proponents of a position who sound like the stereotypes that opponents make up. Well, here's a regional governor in Indonesia who wants to protect the Komodo dragons, and he says
Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat wrote:It’s called Komodo Island, so it’s for the Komodo not for humans. There will be no human rights there, only animal rights.
I was all ready to say, well, English maybe isn't his first language, or this is a translation, or this is taken out of context...but no, he really wants the locals completely kicked off the island.
But aren't the people Komodons?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Jul 2019, 17:44

Warren wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 14:19
JD wrote:
The native Komodo people are no longer a thing. The ~2,000 people living on Komodo are mostly descendants of convicts exiled to the isle of dragons from other islands.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2019, 19:03

Hugh Akston wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 17:44
Warren wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 14:19
JD wrote:
The native Komodo people are no longer a thing. The ~2,000 people living on Komodo are mostly descendants of convicts exiled to the isle of dragons from other islands.
Well geez. In that case, relocating them off the island is the last thing we should do.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Jul 2019, 19:40

JD wrote:
TBF, The US kicked the locals off some South Pacific islands and let them return back to nature - after nuking the shit out of them. (which was actually better than *not* kicking the locals off of nearby islands before nuking the shit out of the area)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Jul 2019, 11:55

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Jul 2019, 12:15

That was very good. An example of this trade-off is that my roommate wanted to Alexa-fy the whole house, so now I can't use light switches, I have to walk to the part of the house where the box is and ask Alexa to turn off a light. So now we have to raise our voices and disturb everyone at all hours just to turn on a light, and oh btw there's a chance someone is listening to my private conversations in my home.

It's a shitty convenience that was unasked for and he literally paid a bunch of money for it, along with trading some undisclosed amount of personal privacy.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Jul 2019, 13:39

When I was in college I also used to do that thing where I filled out my paper with quotes and citations rather than constructing an argument. I wonder what Real Life's page requirement was.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2019, 16:46

There's another theme in there connecting to my objections to many hand wringing pieces these days. I find the "we live in a world we never chose" line of argument preposterous. Nobody in the history of life on earth has gotten to choose the life they experience as though it were a constructed thing. Other people make decisions, you make decisions, a billion inputs later you get a life experience. I didn't choose a world with no trains. No sht. I didn't choose a world of technology. No sht. I didn't choose a world where this neighborhood does well and that town dies. No sht. Who do you think you are?

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Jul 2019, 17:01

JasonL wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 16:46
There's another theme in there connecting to my objections to many hand wringing pieces these days. I find the "we live in a world we never chose" line of argument preposterous. Nobody in the history of life on earth has gotten to choose the life they experience as though it were a constructed thing. Other people make decisions, you make decisions, a billion inputs later you get a life experience. I didn't choose a world with no trains. No sht. I didn't choose a world of technology. No sht. I didn't choose a world where this neighborhood does well and that town dies. No sht. Who do you think you are?
I mean...just someone who doesn't like it? If something has always been bad, that doesn't make it good.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2019, 17:04

Well but you don't get to choose. You never get to choose everything you experience. Saying a thing is bad or I don't like a thing is different from acting like it's bad because you didn't choose it. Guess what in the world you are proposing there's a billion billion things you didn't choose either. They interact through physical and social forces.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Jul 2019, 17:34

I mean, in the world I'm proposing there isn't anyone to choose or not choose anything, largely because of this problem.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2019, 17:57

Yes I know but nearly all people making these arguments aren’t following you there.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Jul 2019, 18:00

We're all basically Howard the Duck.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jul 2019, 18:17

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 18:00
We're all basically Howard the Duck.
And we need our own movie.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Jul 2019, 13:29

Because of the frequency with which our discussions overlap the comments inside the Open Threads at SlateStarCodex, I would recommend them to folks here.

You can find the open Threads by using the menu at the top of Scott's blog. Integer threads are non culture war, and fractional threads are open for anything that does not violate community standards (kind, true, necessary, pick two).

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jul 2019, 13:35

I'm going to need a link. I can only find two Open Threads.