Worthwhile intertubez finds

lunchstealer

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jul 2019, 18:57

JD wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 17:33
lunchstealer wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 17:13
I think it's more that nobody thought that they could make use of it for more than a person sitting down and looking through them to find someone. The idea that you could just slurp in all the faces in video and expect to identify everyone in it automatically isn't something many people really thought was possible.
This is probably closest to the truth. From a naive perspective, they take your photo and put it on the little card they give you. So the policeman who pulls you over can check that it's really your license, right? I suppose people never concluded that it means that the agencies also keep all the photos and can do whatever they want with them.

In some ways I am thankful for more naive people. Those of us with a profound distrust of the State hear about this and say "well, duh, that's exactly what I expected the State to do, whether I like it or not", while other get outraged about it, which ultimately is maybe what more of us should do.
I always assumed it was on file somewhere as well, so they could do renewals, but even with it on file, most humans still probably think that a massive facial recognition thing is science fiction and that these days police still sit down and pan through photos like they do with mug shots so what's the harm? Having HAL9000 sit back in its spider web using a million lidless eyes to track every person in the country SEEMS crazy. Most people don't really get that a cop can drive down the street and automatically scan every single license plate it passes or that there are license plate readers on many major highways that scan every single license plate. And even I don't know how widespread that is and when it's likely to go to every stoplight.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 08 Jul 2019, 18:58

Mo wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 17:51
lunchstealer wrote:I think it's more that nobody thought that they could make use of it for more than a person sitting down and looking through them to find someone. The idea that you could just slurp in all the faces in video and expect to identify everyone in it automatically isn't something many people really thought was possible.
Not to mention that for a lot of people, that technology wasn’t possible when they took their drivers license photo. Most states don’t require you to update the pictures that often.
It also mostly still isn't possible. The success rate of the software they're using is pretty bad, which makes the whole thing both better and worse in different ways.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Jul 2019, 19:10

Aresen wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 17:55
You have to look like you're about to be arrested.
They save a lot of time that way.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Jul 2019, 21:44

Jadagul wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 18:58
Mo wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:I think it's more that nobody thought that they could make use of it for more than a person sitting down and looking through them to find someone. The idea that you could just slurp in all the faces in video and expect to identify everyone in it automatically isn't something many people really thought was possible.
Not to mention that for a lot of people, that technology wasn’t possible when they took their drivers license photo. Most states don’t require you to update the pictures that often.
It also mostly still isn't possible. The success rate of the software they're using is pretty bad, which makes the whole thing both better and worse in different ways.
Right. It's going to be a huge number of dubious matches, but the State will happily put some clown on the stand to testify about what great technology it is and how reliable it is.

In other words, this case over and over again, but with poorer people who can't afford to fight it:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Jul 2019, 21:51

Well, I just learned that juggalo makeup can get around facial identification technology, so I know what my future holds!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2019, 22:02

Whoop Whoop
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 08 Jul 2019, 22:04

Andrew wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 21:44
Jadagul wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 18:58
Mo wrote:
Right. It's going to be a huge number of dubious matches, but the State will happily put some clown on the stand to testify about what great technology it is and how reliable it is.

In other words, this case over and over again, but with poorer people who can't afford to fight it:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
The Washington Post reports that the system is 86% accurate if the search returns good data. It's presumably far less accurate if the search has a worse data pool to work with.

Even their own data says that the system doesn't really work.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Jul 2019, 23:14

Ellie wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 21:51
Well, I just learned that juggalo makeup can get around facial identification technology, so I know what my future holds!
Hatchets?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Jul 2019, 22:19

"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jul 2019, 10:23

Provocative

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jul 2019, 10:25

tl;dr
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jul 2019, 10:28

Team Warren. After about 2 pages of New Yorker-ish anecdotes and aimless wandering about the topic without getting to the point, I gave up.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 12 Jul 2019, 10:51

It’s a short story from multiple perspectives set in a publishing/me too context. A kind of scummy boundary pushing publisher guy who sees himself as a roguish raconteur trying to provoke authentic moments, the friend who set boundaries amid the many accusers who have a string of horrifying stories of transgressions. The punch is how he sees himself and how the friend sees him and the women who in her view never tried to just say no to his behavior.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jul 2019, 11:19

Sounds dreadful. Glad I gave up after the second page.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jul 2019, 14:41

It's rasho-metoo.

But very worth reading.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jul 2019, 07:46

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2019, 09:53

Free Jerry Foxhoven!
But like the question of who fatally shot Shakur in Las Vegas in 1996, the reason for Foxhoven’s forced departure remains a mystery.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 17 Jul 2019, 12:05

That kind of reads like a Coen Brothers movie.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Jul 2019, 12:06

dhex wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 14:41
It's rasho-metoo.

But very worth reading.
Oh man. Imagine a Rashometoo movie. You'd need Chris Nolan to direct.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2019, 13:36

Jasper wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 12:06
dhex wrote:
It's rasho-metoo.

But very worth reading.
preferably with a time heist to steal Memento-era Nolan, although I guess the structure of Dunkirk means he's still got some gift for structure that wasn't beaten down by WB.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Jul 2019, 17:59

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 13:36
Jasper wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 12:06
dhex wrote:
It's rasho-metoo.

But very worth reading.
preferably with a time heist to steal Memento-era Nolan, although I guess the structure of Dunkirk means he's still got some gift for structure that wasn't beaten down by WB.
I just watched Insomnia the other night. Nolan was doing just fine with linear structure before he sold out.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Jul 2019, 18:01

One of the greatest sins of the DC universe is I've lost the ability to distinguish the failings of Chris Nolan from those of Zach Snyder. They all have combined into one blue filtered grimdark singularity.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2019, 18:09

The Dark Knight series was good. It makes sense in a post-Alan Moore Batman. The rest of the grimdark DCU is crap.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jul 2019, 18:28

Mo wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 18:09
The Dark Knight series was good.
The Dark Knight Rises was also crap.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Jul 2019, 19:02

Much as I like Ledger's Joker, the 1989 Batman with Keaton and Nicholson is still the gold standard.