Worthwhile intertubez finds

Painboy

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Painboy » 24 Jun 2019, 15:59

Mo wrote:The headline says everything you needs to know, "Don’t Want Your School to Be Named for a Confederate General? Find Someone Else Named Lee." Basically schools named after RE Lee are renaming themselves, but to save money are keeping Lee, but changing the Robert E. part.
That's what Seattle did with King county. It was named after some other King so they just stopped using the full name and slapped a picture of MLK to their letterhead.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jun 2019, 17:18

There's almost always Charles Lee, plus Christopher Lee, Geddy Lee, Bruce George Peter Lee, Richard Henry Lee, Francis Lightfoot Lee, Tsung-Dao Lee, and quite a few others.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jun 2019, 17:50

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 17:18
There's almost always Charles Lee, plus Christopher Lee, Geddy Lee, Bruce George Peter Lee, Richard Henry Lee, Francis Lightfoot Lee, Tsung-Dao Lee, and quite a few others.
I was thinking of Richard Henry Lee. Perfect to keep Virginia happy - slaveowner and great-uncle of Robert E as well as signer of the Declaration of Independence.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Jun 2019, 09:16

Christopher Lee High School would be great. A vampire as a mascot!

Their worst rivals are from Peter Cushing Prep across town.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Jun 2019, 10:11

Jasper wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 09:16
There could be a dozen Christopher Lee High Schools all with a different mascot. Vampire, wizard, pagan lord, etc.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Jun 2019, 12:28

Andrew wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 10:11
Jasper wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 09:16
There could be a dozen Christopher Lee High Schools all with a different mascot. Vampire, wizard, pagan lord, etc.
Fuck. Yeah.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jun 2019, 13:02

You could even have a car with a Chinese or Korean flag and call it the General Lee!
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Jun 2019, 11:32

Using an AI name generator to come up with ship names in the style of Iain Banks (the Culture series):

https://aiweirdness.com/post/1858839987 ... med-by-ais

It worked really, really well.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 28 Jun 2019, 14:50

Yeah, saw that. Eerily on-the-nose for ship names.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 28 Jun 2019, 17:34

Fuck yeah more user, uh, I mean, Ship Names!

I've used Lapsed Pacifist as a user name for a few years on games, maybe I can find a fugazi I like more.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Jun 2019, 17:42

Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jul 2019, 13:26

This could go in a bunch of threads, I guess. tl;dr: people are angry that the FBI and ICE have been using state drivers' license photos as a database for facial recognition purposes.

I'm not real happy about the agencies' history of overreach, but being surprised by this particular aspect just seems, well, surprising. I mean, it's a government license that requires having your photo in a government database. What did people think they were going to do with it?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jul 2019, 14:55

People's umbrage is mostly to cover up the fact that they feel completely stupid for not understanding spying on them is what that information would be used for.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2019, 15:40

I don't know. Facial recognition doesn't bother my libertarian sensibilities. Even in Libertopia, there is law enforcement. If they're doing facial recognition, they must be trying to put a name with a face. If a security camera gets a shot of someone suspected of committing a crime, I want the cops to be able to identify the person. I see that as different from say having your cell phone data and being able to track your movements 24/7.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jul 2019, 15:45

Highway wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 14:55
People's umbrage is mostly to cover up the fact that they feel completely stupid for not understanding spying on them is what that information would be used for.
I agree they should have known, but I think it is more they thought Skynet wouldn't include them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jul 2019, 15:47

Warren wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 15:40
I don't know. Facial recognition doesn't bother my libertarian sensibilities. Even in Libertopia, there is law enforcement. If they're doing facial recognition, they must be trying to put a name with a face. If a security camera gets a shot of someone suspected of committing a crime, I want the cops to be able to identify the person. I see that as different from say having your cell phone data and being able to track your movements 24/7.
Umm, if they have facial recognition and sufficient camera coverage, they don't need your cell phone or some transponder to know where you are 24/7.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2019, 16:22

Aresen wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 15:47
Warren wrote:
Umm, if they have facial recognition and sufficient camera coverage, they don't need your cell phone or some transponder to know where you are 24/7.
Which is why I object to law enforcement having ubiquitous surveillance cameras. Privately owned cameras are fine. And if they want to see the footage, they can get a warrant.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Jul 2019, 16:59

Aresen wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 15:45
Highway wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 14:55
I agree they should have known, but I think it is more they thought Skynet wouldn't include them.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jul 2019, 17:13

I think it's more that nobody thought that they could make use of it for more than a person sitting down and looking through them to find someone. The idea that you could just slurp in all the faces in video and expect to identify everyone in it automatically isn't something many people really thought was possible.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jul 2019, 17:33

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 17:13
I think it's more that nobody thought that they could make use of it for more than a person sitting down and looking through them to find someone. The idea that you could just slurp in all the faces in video and expect to identify everyone in it automatically isn't something many people really thought was possible.
This is probably closest to the truth. From a naive perspective, they take your photo and put it on the little card they give you. So the policeman who pulls you over can check that it's really your license, right? I suppose people never concluded that it means that the agencies also keep all the photos and can do whatever they want with them.

In some ways I am thankful for more naive people. Those of us with a profound distrust of the State hear about this and say "well, duh, that's exactly what I expected the State to do, whether I like it or not", while other get outraged about it, which ultimately is maybe what more of us should do.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Jul 2019, 17:36

I agree but I like using that tweet. I feel like I just rarely get the chance is all.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jul 2019, 17:51

lunchstealer wrote:I think it's more that nobody thought that they could make use of it for more than a person sitting down and looking through them to find someone. The idea that you could just slurp in all the faces in video and expect to identify everyone in it automatically isn't something many people really thought was possible.
Not to mention that for a lot of people, that technology wasn’t possible when they took their drivers license photo. Most states don’t require you to update the pictures that often.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jul 2019, 17:54

Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 15:47
Warren wrote:
Which is why I object to law enforcement having ubiquitous surveillance cameras. Privately owned cameras are fine. And if they want to see the footage, they can get a warrant.
Even if they’re private, most owners will give them up no problem. That’s the big issue with cell providers. They claim they own your location data and give it up sans warrant.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jul 2019, 17:55

Mo wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 17:51
lunchstealer wrote:I think it's more that nobody thought that they could make use of it for more than a person sitting down and looking through them to find someone. The idea that you could just slurp in all the faces in video and expect to identify everyone in it automatically isn't something many people really thought was possible.
Not to mention that for a lot of people, that technology wasn’t possible when they took their drivers license photo. Most states don’t require you to update the pictures that often.
British Columbia requires a new photo every time - drivers licences are on a 5 year schedule. The rules specify no glasses or other eyewear. Also, no smiling. You have to look like you're about to be arrested.

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jul 2019, 17:59

My UK license is good for a decade and before that it was good until you were 60. In California you can go 15 years between pictures. Original and two 5 year extensions.